Michigan State c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who is going to the Welcome Day on Friday? I'll be there! Very excited! Flying into Detroit Thursday afternoon.

Members don't see this ad.

OOS the waiting list is 40 people, I called and they also gave my ranking.

I'm very surprised they told you how big, even more surprised they told you the ranking!!! What office did you call? Has anyone else heard about IS wait-list yet? I'm assuming IS and OS have separate waiting lists because they only accept so many OOS to begin with?

I'm very surprised they told you how big, even more surprised they told you the ranking!!! What office did you call? Has anyone else heard about IS wait-list yet? I'm assuming IS and OS have separate waiting lists because they only accept so many OOS to begin with?
I also found out my ranking too! You know the email that was sent when you were waitlisted and it provided a contact email to request an academic profile? Well I emailed to request my academic profile and waitlist rank when available, and they responded the next day with my rank. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also found out my ranking too! You know the email that was sent when you were waitlisted and it provided a contact email to request an academic profile? Well I emailed to request my academic profile and waitlist rank when available, and they responded the next day with my rank. Hope this helps!

Question! I didn't apply to Michigan State, but what is an academic profile??

Question! I didn't apply to Michigan State, but what is an academic profile??
I haven't seen one but I'm assuming its what they use to give you a SIS score. You cant find out what SIS means by looking at the MSU CVM website. It most likely contains information on how to improve if you plan on reapplying next year. Maybe some who have applied for the second time can answer this a little better than I can. I can answer this better when they send it to me March 17th.

Reactions: 1 user
did they tell you how many people are on the list? I emailed just now asking my position, how many people are on the list and if in state and out of state have separate lists. Whats your position? if you don't mind me asking...

Who is going to Welcome Days today? I will be wearing a shirt that says "New Yorkie" in case anyone from here wants to say 'hi!' :)

Who is going to Welcome Days today? I will be wearing a shirt that says "New Yorkie" in case anyone from here wants to say 'hi!' :)
I'll be there today!

I have been accepted to MSU and am currently looking for an apartment and roomate. Just wondering if there is a thread or somewhere else I can come in contact with other people who have been accepted and are seeking housing also?

I have been accepted to MSU and am currently looking for an apartment and roomate. Just wondering if there is a thread or somewhere else I can come in contact with other people who have been accepted and are seeking housing also?

There's a Facebook page for MSU c/o 2018. People use it to ask questions (current students are in the group too) and find housing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/602987013113285/

did they tell you how many people are on the list? I emailed just now asking my position, how many people are on the list and if in state and out of state have separate lists. Whats your position? if you don't mind me asking...
I'm #30, so I think I'm kind of up there =/ Good thing is that I've heard that the OOS list moves pretty fast, and I think that it will move a good amount this year because they did not do interviews this year, and I feel like more people are likely to accept seats for schools where an interview day was offered. but...thats just my position on the matter... Let me know how many people are on the in state and out of state lists if you are able to find out! =)

Does anyone have any idea how fast the IS alternate list moves, if at all?

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who went last week, how was welcome day? Did you like the campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked it. I really liked how they seemed to encourage teamwork, and how we can help eachother.

I was surprised at how empty the teaching hospital was.
Maybe some current students can shed light on if that's the norm?
Also I got kind of conflicting points of view regarding 1st or 2nd years going to the teaching hospital to observe.
Dr. Baptista (who seems awesome) said go, introduce yourself, get to know them, and they will welcome you. However, the person giving the tour said there's not really room for 1st or 2nd years to be in the hospital and There are a lot of students and techs on rotations.
I just hope they don't get another winter like this one while I'm there!

I was surprised at how empty the teaching hospital was.
Maybe some current students can shed light on if that's the norm?
Also I got kind of conflicting points of view regarding 1st or 2nd years going to the teaching hospital to observe.
Dr. Baptista (who seems awesome) said go, introduce yourself, get to know them, and they will welcome you. However, the person giving the tour said there's not really room for 1st or 2nd years to be in the hospital and There are a lot of students and techs on rotations.
I just hope they don't get another winter like this one while I'm there!

I am not a student but will be in September, so I can't speak for current students. I have visited the hospital numerous times, and it has always been busy when I was there. They were on spring break this week, so that could be why the hospital seemed so empty. Plus there were some areas we weren't able to tour (the wildlife area was jam packed when I was last there!).

Students are always welcomed in the clinic to observe and ask questions. Students are also welcome to attend rounds- you will have to attend a certain number of rounds for a class during first semester. I have heard that some people feel that they "get in the way" when they are in the clinic, and therefore feel like they don't get a lot out of the experience. I have never tried to go down to the clinic during the week (ain't nobody got time for that), but when I run into a cool case on the weekend while working in CCU, the residents and students are more than willing to explain the case.
I guess it is what you make of it.
But, to be honest, you really won't have any time to do any observing/shadowing in the clinic. Vet school is the biggest time dump ever.
Let me know if you guys have any other questions..

I am not a student but will be in September, so I can't speak for current students. I have visited the hospital numerous times, and it has always been busy when I was there. They were on spring break this week, so that could be why the hospital seemed so empty. Plus there were some areas we weren't able to tour (the wildlife area was jam packed when I was last there!).

you guys visited at literally the worst time. Fridays at the VTH are always kind of a joke (nobody schedules new appointments other than rechecks and patient discharges on fridays, and there usually aren't any surgeries scheduled either), so most rotations let students out early. the last friday of the rotation you are virtually guaranteed to get out early because pretty much everything is done and it's "food friday" (where everyone has a potluck and you basically go around eating food all day while pretending to do work). and the afternoon on fridays before dismissal is usually spent in rounds (in a classroom somewhere). i think your tours were in the afternoon, which means students were either 1. in rounds or 2. dismissed already. plus it was spring break which accounts for the lack of people in the student center, etc.

in terms of shadowing in the clinic as a 1st/2nd year...i never did. i didn't know my way around and felt like i would have been in the way. and honestly it just sort of depends. if you have a friend on a rotation that is fairly laid back and has independent time (surgery, etc) by all means go down and talk to them about their cases, etc. on the other hand if you don't know anybody and just go try to stand around CCU to figure out what's going on...nobody is going to make time to talk to you about the cases unless you ask. even then they may not be able to talk to you because they are too busy. you can listen in on the conversations between doctors and fourth years, but that's about as far as you'll get, and honestly most of it will probably be over your head anyway.
on the other hand, a lot of my large animal friends LOVED shadowing in the large animal clinic as 1st/2nd years. the different dynamic there, the fact that the hospital space is MUCH larger and less crowded, and the fact that many of the patients are food animals and not pets allows for much more student/doctor interaction, and in general the clinicians are very open to talking through cases with you down there because it's slower and they have time to do so.

Reactions: 1 users
Students are always welcomed in the clinic to observe and ask questions. Students are also welcome to attend rounds- you will have to attend a certain number of rounds for a class during first semester. I have heard that some people feel that they "get in the way" when they are in the clinic, and therefore feel like they don't get a lot out of the experience. I have never tried to go down to the clinic during the week (ain't nobody got time for that), but when I run into a cool case on the weekend while working in CCU, the residents and students are more than willing to explain the case.
I guess it is what you make of it.
But, to be honest, you really won't have any time to do any observing/shadowing in the clinic. Vet school is the biggest time dump ever.
Let me know if you guys have any other questions..

That's what I was thinking. Maybe other people will have some free time, but I'm pretty dang sure I. will. not.

Has anyone e-mailed admissions to get this years admitted stats? I know they said that they'd be available after March 17th

Has anyone e-mailed admissions to get this years admitted stats? I know they said that they'd be available after March 17th

Selected Class
Cumulative GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.57
Last 3 Semester GPA: 3.79
Verbal GRE score: 157.42
Quantitative GRE score: 156.86
SIS Score: 902.48

Selected Class
Cumulative GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.57
Last 3 Semester GPA: 3.79
Verbal GRE score: 157.42
Quantitative GRE score: 156.86
SIS Score: 902.48
Thank you! Is that all that they sent you? And did they differentiate IS vs OOS?

Thank you! Is that all that they sent you? And did they differentiate IS vs OOS?

They sent my own stats compared with the total applicant pool and the selected class stats. Do you want the total applicant pool stats as well?

No, they didn't differentiate between IS and OOS.

They sent my own stats compared with the total applicant pool and the selected class stats. Do you want the total applicant pool stats as well?
Yea that'd be great!

Total Application Pool
Cumulative GPA: 3.38
Science GPA: 3.21
Last 3 Semester GPA: 3.43
Verbal GRE Score: 153.44
Quantitative GRE Score: 153.20
SIS Score: 803.26

Wow, I feel like I barely compare to those stats (aside from the GRE scores), especially since they're higher than last year's. Having unique interests/experiences must be an important part of their class selection.

Total Application Pool
Cumulative GPA: 3.38
Science GPA: 3.21
Last 3 Semester GPA: 3.43
Verbal GRE Score: 153.44
Quantitative GRE Score: 153.20
SIS Score: 803.26
Did they give you your own SIS score with experience included?

They do give you your own SIS score but I do not believe that experience is included in it. Below the stats it says:

The cumulative GPA includes all courses taken at all universities attended. The science gpa does not include repeated grades. If a science pre-requisite was repeated, only the most recent grade was used to calculate the science gpa. The last 3 semester GPA includes all the courses taken during the most recent 3 semesters. This must be a minimum of 36 credits for undergraduates and a minimum of 18 credits for graduates. The GRE scores are from the highest weighted composite of verbal and quantitative taken within the past five years.

The selection process is a two-step process. Step one is calculation of the SIS score and step two is a file review by two faculty members. A candidate with a relatively high SIS score may not be selected if the faculty do not find any unique non-academic attributes during file review. During file review our faculty were looking for uniqueness in the following areas:

• Breadth and Depth of Animal and Veterinary experiences through time of application (future experiences are not considered)

• Agricultural background and/or Food Animal Experience

• Diverse background such as gained from cultural, career, or community service experiences

• Research Experience

• Socio-Economic (Family/Financial/Cultural) challenges or hardships that you have overcome while obtaining your education and how you overcame these

Oh ok hmm so we still don't know how much experience was factored in. Thank again!

OOS accepted here but I decided to go a different school. So, to whoever's next on the waiting list, congrats!!!

OOS accepted here but I decided to go a different school. So, to whoever's next on the waiting list, congrats!!!

hi all, i'm new to a SDN account but i've been following along a while. just wanted to say congrats to all who are in already and a big thank you to you since i'm on the OOS wait list :D MSU's my second choice, but i was rejected from my first, so i'm going nuts over here.

Hello everyone,
I just found out today that I am # 2 on the In State waiting list. Does anyone know how likely this makes it that I will be offered a spot? I know the IS list does not move much, but does it usually go through at least a few people? I was offered a spot at another OOS school, but of course IS tuition is hard to beat! Best of luck to everyone and never give up!

Hello everyone,
I just found out today that I am # 2 on the In State waiting list. Does anyone know how likely this makes it that I will be offered a spot? I know the IS list does not move much, but does it usually go through at least a few people? I was offered a spot at another OOS school, but of course IS tuition is hard to beat! Best of luck to everyone and never give up!
Best of luck! I hope that a couple spots open up so that you can go to your IS! =)

Hello everyone,
How were able to find out you numbering on the wait list?

How were able to find out you numbering on the wait list?

Email the address they gave you to request an academic profile and also request your number on the waiting list. Provide a contact phone # and they will call you with your number on the waiting list, for some reason they will not email you this information. Hope this helps!

Ok thanks! I requested my profile but I didn't know you could get the wait list number.

They called me today and said I was number 5 on the list.

Just sent in my deposit! It's starting to become real...

I'm getting a little frustrated trying to find a decent house to rent... Maybe it's a little early, I dunno. Anyone know of where to look other than craigslist?

Edit: hrmm, "I am" got changed to "me are". Weird.

Double edit! Wtf! Eye a m not me are!

Unfortunately, a lot of housing gets taken in late October/early November. There is one off campus housing site my daughter used to find roommates for her house.

http://offcampushousin'.msu.edu

If you make a profile and activate it in the roommates section, you will be able to see others looking for roommates, some of whom might already have a house leased. There is a message board and a map which displays housing, as well.

Also try the Facebook group for your class year.

LOL - must be April Fool's day

Any wait listers out there that have gotten called off the list yet?

I called this week and they said after April 15th wait listers will starting hearing. They start with out-of-state applicants first and then do in-state, so hopefully us OOS should be hearing in the next week!

I called this week and they said after April 15th wait listers will starting hearing. They start with out-of-state applicants first and then do in-state, so hopefully us OOS should be hearing in the next week!

Exciting! I'm actually really glad you called and got this info, since I'm IS, I probably would be going crazy after not hearing promptly, but now that I know they do OOS first that will me a little peace of mind. Thank you!

I got an email on 4/16 asking if id like to remain on the waitlist. Not the email I was expecting since when I emailed earlier I was told I was #1 on the waitlist. I am instate, so my only explanation is not a single one of the ISS declined... bummer...

Email the address they gave you to request an academic profile and also request your number on the waiting list. Provide a contact phone # and they will call you with your number on the waiting list, for some reason they will not email you this information. Hope this helps!
They emailed me back my position. I am #1 on instate.

Maybe a little bit of a silly question, but for the ISers... when does it usually start snowing in Michigan? And how long does it last? I'm a warm weather person looking to schedule an externship up there and have never driven in snow, so I'd like to avoid it if possible, haha.

First snow is usually in December, but it can definitely snow in November. It will snow up until late March, but we've had snow in April..

First snow is usually in December, but it can definitely snow in November. It will snow up until late March, but we've had snow in April..
Yuck, haha. Apparently ya'll MSUers fill the place in the early half of the year anyway, so I'll tell her August/Septemberish and give the snow a wide berth. :) Thanks for the quick answer!