Michigan State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woooo same here! Congrats everyone! I'm OOS and I think my SIS was 866

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS SIS 950. Does anyone know if they look at academics to make the final decision? Or is it all up to the MMI now?

OOS SIS 950. Does anyone know if they look at academics to make the final decision? Or is it all up to the MMI now?

Congrats everyone!!

When I went to a meeting this summer, they said they will go back and look at your file. BUT they said that next cycle it will be solely based on the MMI. So I would think that the MMI probably carries a lot of weight just not all?

My SIS was 833. On an unrelated note -- what does everyone do in terms of luggage when traveling for interviews? I plan on leaving on a flight that same night and I'm assuming they don't have giant luggage-sized cubbies :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
My SIS was 833. On an unrelated note -- what does everyone do in terms of luggage when traveling for interviews? I plan on leaving on a flight that same night and I'm assuming they don't have giant luggage-sized cubbies :laugh:

Lol! I typically stick to a rolly carry-on bag for the overhead bins and a personal bag to go under the seat. And no check bag. As long as you take your suit out right away after you get to your hotel it should be fine. What day are you going?

Lol! I typically stick to a rolly carry-on bag for the overhead bins and a personal bag to go under the seat. And no check bag. As long as you take your suit out right away after you get to your hotel it should be fine. What day are you going?
A dolly bag is what I was thinking of as well lol. My only concern is if it would seem unprofessional walking around with it all day during interviews? I'm going December 8th/9th (afternoon MMI). Preferably, I don't want to have to pay for an extra night at a hotel just to keep my bag there and then have to go back after the interview, grab my stuff, have to go to the airport from there etc. instead of just going straight to the airport after my interview.

A dolly bag is what I was thinking of as well lol. My only concern is if it would seem unprofessional walking around with it all day during interviews? I'm going December 8th/9th (afternoon MMI). Preferably, I don't want to have to pay for an extra night at a hotel just to keep my bag there and then have to go back after the interview, grab my stuff, have to go to the airport from there etc. instead of just going straight to the airport after my interview.
Most hotels seem to be okay with you leaving luggage there and coming back to pick it up. You just check out and give them your luggage to hold. I also like to rent a car as it is much cheaper than shuttle service. I just store everything in my trunk. But I have been able to go back and use the hotel bathrooms to change from my suit to travel clothes.

^ yep exactly what I was going to say haha

Congrats to everyone who has gotten interview invites! PM me if you have any questions about the program or MSU or East Lansing in general :)

So just spoke with the Admissions office and they mentioned everyone gets their decisional/interview letters/emails by the end of next week! :)
Out of curiosity, though, does anyone know if 790 is still the cutoff? Based off of last years class profile page the SIS score is, of course, higher....thoughts?

So just spoke with the Admissions office and they mentioned everyone gets their decisional/interview letters/emails by the end of next week! :)
Out of curiosity, though, does anyone know if 790 is still the cutoff? Based off of last years class profile page the SIS score is, of course, higher....thoughts?

790 is still the cut off, but it's just a minimum for them to review your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I e-mailed the office yesterday and here was the reply - we will continue to send interview invitations through mid-January until all of our interview positions are filled. If your application was not academically competitive you will receive an e-mail indicating that by the end of next week. So I don't think everyone will have an e-mail by end of next week according to that. That is what the website indicates as well.

I e-mailed the office yesterday and here was the reply - we will continue to send interview invitations through mid-January until all of our interview positions are filled. If your application was not academically competitive you will receive an e-mail indicating that by the end of next week. So I don't think everyone will have an e-mail by end of next week according to that. That is what the website indicates as well.
This seems more accurate - thanks!

So the people who get rejections letters by the end of next week are the ones who didn't make the 790 SIS cutoff I'm guessing?

So the people who get rejections letters by the end of next week are the ones who didn't make the 790 SIS cutoff I'm guessing?

If they're sending out definitive rejections by next week I'm assuming that is indeed the case.

Last edited:

If they're sending our definitive rejections by next week I'm assuming that is indeed the case.

I know at least one person who was above 790 has already received a rejection so I don't know about that.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who has received an invite so far!! Would you mind sharing your SIS scores?

mine was a 934 according to their calculator tool on their website.

Does anyone have any suggestions for hotels to stay at?

Hi all, I've been reading up on the curriculum changes at MSU that will be implemented right when we start (Fall 2017) and wanted to get other interested students' opinions on it. I'm OOS and am super happy they are trying to cut down the tuition costs (I know I'll be swimming in debt regardless, just depends on how much debt, right? haha) but I think its a limit to the vet education by focusing on only the species you think you want to study. What if you change your mind? Not to mention, we are getting our Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, I'm not sure if we should be limited to certain species. Not to mention, I'm hesitant to be a guinea pig for the new curriculum change! I'm looking forward to your thoughts!

Last edited:
Hi all, I've been reading up on the curriculum changes at MSU that will be implemented right when we start (Fall 2017) and wanted to get other interested students' opinions on it. I'm OOS and am super happy they are trying to cut down the tuition costs (I know I'll be swimming in debt regardless, just depends on how much debt, right? haha) but I think its a limit to the vet education by focusing on only the species you think you want to study. What if you change your mind? Not to mention, we are getting our Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, I'm not sure if we should be limited to certain species. Not to mention, I'm hesitant to be a guinea pig for the new curriculum change! I'm looking forward to your thoughts!
I'm just curious, but where did you find this information?

Unfortunately this curriculum change is not intended for OOS at the time. The MSU website and the article you shared above both state "The goal is to reduce the student debt to salary ratio from the current 2.2:1 ratio for in-state tuition to 1.4:1, according to MSU."

I highly doubt MSU plans to have different OOS and IS curricula. They're just advertising the debt:salary ratio for IS students (the ratio would still be pretty awful for OOS students, which is why they're not mentioning it).

I can 100% promise they probs won't be giving IS this option without OOS too. I know they're restructuring anatomy at least for next years class but that's all we've heard through the pipeline. Email or call them up, don't simply assume it will start with your class.

Does it happen to snow around December? Living in Los Angeles all my life has not prepared me for this moment :eek:

Does it happen to snow around December? Living in Los Angeles all my life has not prepared me for this moment :eek:
It usually does, but with the way the weather has been so far it's antibodies guess.

I don't know if it was a mistake but antibodies guess was great!
Didn't even realize this. Sitting in immuno right now, and it makes this typo 100% better :D

Reactions: 1 users
Sitting in my Biochemistry class in North Carolina, I got my interview invitation for MSU today! MSU has always been my first choice school. I did my undergrad there many years ago, and have been completing a second bachelor's degree to prepare for veterinary school application. I am so excited!

Just got my invite as well!!! :highfive:

Super happy for everyone who has received invites!!
Unfortunately I didn't make the cut-off this year for MSU. [Calculated In-State SIS of ~808] I didn't have high expectations (Last 3 sem. gpa included failed course to my dismay), but worth the try. Have my Denied Applicant Workshop on the 30th, and I'm eager to finalize my plan for improvement since my projected SIS for next year will be ~873. I am excited to re-apply and possibly be able to look up to some of you as upperclassmen in the future!
And honestly feel like this extra year will allow me to gain additional experiences and really mature the relationships I've built so far. [...and mature a little myself] :joyful:

Please keep us all updated with your progress. Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
Super happy for everyone who has received invites!!
Unfortunately I didn't make the cut-off this year for MSU. [Calculated In-State SIS of ~808] I didn't have high expectations (Last 3 sem. gpa included failed course to my dismay), but worth the try. Have my Denied Applicant Workshop on the 30th, and I'm eager to finalize my plan for improvement since my projected SIS for next year will be ~873. I am excited to re-apply and possibly be able to look up to some of you as upperclassmen in the future!
And honestly feel like this extra year will allow me to gain additional experiences and really mature the relationships I've built so far. [...and mature a little myself] :joyful:

Please keep us all updated with your progress. Thanks!
You are so positive I love it!
Did they sate what the cut off was then?

You are so positive I love it!
Did they sate what the cut off was then?
According to MSU's website, the SIS cutoff is still 790 in order for your application to be reviewed (assuming the information is still current).

According to MSU's website, the SIS cutoff is still 790 in order for your application to be reviewed (assuming the information is still current).
Right - but MSUcvmHOPE said "Unfortunately I didn't make the cut-off this year for MSU. [Calculated In-State SIS of ~808]"

"Cut-off" makes me think they had a different, higher SIS minimum.

Right - but MSUcvmHOPE said "Unfortunately I didn't make the cut-off this year for MSU. [Calculated In-State SIS of ~808]"

Ahh okay, I see what you were saying now!

I think the cut off for being REVIEWED is still 790, but having a 790 or higher doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to offer you an interview. From what I understand, it means that they're going to look at your application and review your non-academic side. If you don't meet the 790 I don't think they even look at your app. At least that's what I've gathered from their website.

As SkiOtter said, the cut off is still 790 to move on to the file review. With that being said, it is very easy to miss calculate your GPA's so I would look at them again if you believe your SIS score was about the 790 yet they clearly stated you didn't make the minimum cut off.

Hey guys, bad phrasing on my part. I meant cut-off as in the number of people above 790 that they actually choose to interview. Hope that clears the confusion.

Hey guys, bad phrasing on my part. I meant cut-off as in the number of people above 790 that they actually choose to interview. Hope that clears the confusion.
Not entirely positive I'm correct, but from what I understand from their website, they take into account both your SIS above 790(has to be above for them to look at the rest of your app) AND your non-academic parts like experience and essays and such to determine who gets an interview or not, but your SIS has to be above 790 for them to even get to that point. So I don't think that there's a specific SIS cut off for them giving you an interview?
That's just what I understand everything I've heard to mean, not entirely positive if it's entirely accurate.

THIS should clear everything up.
Quote from the email I received from MSU:
"The Committee on Student Admissions has completed review of your application for admission to the College of Veterinary Medicine. Unfortunately, you were not selected to interview for admissions into the program. Because of the competitive nature of veterinary medical education, it is not unusual not to be admitted to the college initially."

Sorry for all the confusion I caused.

EDIT: Basically my SIS made the "cut-off", but I didn't make the "cut".

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in following the progression of MSU's curriculum change, you can read updates about it hear https://cvm.msu.edu/curriculum-reinvention/curriculum-reinvention

I attended a meeting about it yesterday, it was a lot about the progress of planning and developing competency goals, and spending more time earlier in school in the clinic. I guess they are hoping to have everything ready to be implemented in fall 2018, but nothing yet is finalized nor has anything been approved by MSU. It was pretty interesting, and I'll definitely try to keep up on how progress is going.

If anyone is interested in following the progression of MSU's curriculum change, you can read updates about it hear https://cvm.msu.edu/curriculum-reinvention/curriculum-reinvention

I attended a meeting about it yesterday, it was a lot about the progress of planning and developing competency goals, and spending more time earlier in school in the clinic. I guess they are hoping to have everything ready to be implemented in fall 2018, but nothing yet is finalized nor has anything been approved by MSU. It was pretty interesting, and I'll definitely try to keep up on how progress is going.

This was so helpful! Thank you, thank you!

So this will be my first time participating in an actual MMI and I have a question. I know one version of it is the whole "Here's X scenario" and then you explain how you would respond to said situation etc, but there is also a variant in which the evaluator actually acts in some sort of role (an irate patient, angry client, etc). OR some sort of other interactive exercise. For those who have interviewed (not exclusively at MSU, speaking generally) has your experience with MMI been more of the former/latter or a mixture of both?

Last edited:
Got an email from them yesterday saying they are still reviewing applications for interviews and that they will keep sending interview invites until the end of January. I about had a heart attack when I open my email and saw their name because I thought it was going to be a rejection since they were sending out so many last week. Glad it wasn't though! Now to continue waiting!!

Reactions: 1 users
Got an email from them yesterday saying they are still reviewing applications for interviews and that they will keep sending interview invites until the end of January. I about had a heart attack when I open my email and saw their name because I thought it was going to be a rejection since they were sending out so many last week. Glad it wasn't though! Now to continue waiting!!
Ditto!

For people interviewing Dec 8/9th, what hotels are yall staying at? i still have to book a hotel so im looking for suggestions :)

For people interviewing Dec 8/9th, what hotels are yall staying at? i still have to book a hotel so im looking for suggestions :)

I would highly recommend the Wild Goose Inn, Residence Inn (on Hannah Bvld), or even the Kellogg Hotel. If you let any of these places know that you are coming to interview at MSU CVM they will give you a nice discount!

I got an Airbnb apartment in this loft space https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9446414 I think they have other apartments as well that they put up? FWIW it seems a lot cheaper for dec 8 & 9th than what are listed as the general price. Like that studio says $150 a night, but i paid like $72 a night for dec 8 & 9th.

I got an Airbnb apartment in this loft space https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9446414 I think they have other apartments as well that they put up? FWIW it seems a lot cheaper for dec 8 & 9th than what are listed as the general price. Like that studio says $150 a night, but i paid like $72 a night for dec 8 & 9th.

I used to live there and plan to again if I'm accepted at MSU! You will love the space!