Michigan State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!!

congrats to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Same here! I ran back in before leaving to work to tell my mom, followed by "DON'T TELL ANYONE YET" lol. As an OOS, it's definitely my most expensive option and I still have 4 interviews in January...but knowing ill be going to vet school regardless has me at a loss for words right now. Congrats to you and everyone else who heard today!

I only applied to one school so I know where I'm headed ;)

I told my mom not to tell anyone until I announced it... she mostly behaved but she's still already called my grandmother, my sister, and my vet. :rofl:

Good luck with you other interviews and congratulations!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, did anyone get any sort of scholarship / aid information in their acceptance email? I remember that during the meet & greet talks they mentioned that if they were giving a scholarship it would come with the offer letter. I didn't get any mention of that, just curious if that means they aren't offering me any or if they are sending that out later on (or possibly with the physical letter they are sending out). tbh I dont expect to receive anything, but knowing one way or the other will make a difference if I end up getting into more than one school.

You can PM me if you dont want to have the info public.

I just want to say CONGRATS to everyone who heard today! What exciting news to carry you into the new year. My interview is 1/6 and I hope to hear back as quickly as you all did!

Reactions: 2 users
Just curious, did anyone get any sort of scholarship / aid information in their acceptance email? I remember that during the meet & greet talks they mentioned that if they were giving a scholarship it would come with the offer letter. I didn't get any mention of that, just curious if that means they aren't offering me any or if they are sending that out later on (or possibly with the physical letter they are sending out). tbh I dont expect to receive anything, but knowing one way or the other will make a difference if I end up getting into more than one school.

You can PM me if you dont want to have the info public.

Nothing for me. They did say that it was geared towards those who have excellent academics if I'm remembering correctly? I'm surprised with even just an early acceptance so I'm not holding my breath for myself, but hope some of you guys get those scholarship awards!

Congrats everyone!!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone who has heard back already
I'm interviewing Jan 6th (ahhh!) and wondering what everyone's thoughts are on attire for the meet and greet?

Anyone know if they will be sending out anymore interview invites before the Christmas holidays?

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone who has heard back already
I'm interviewing Jan 6th (ahhh!) and wondering what everyone's thoughts are on attire for the meet and greet?

in the interview reminder they sent us (for dec interviews) they listed it as "casual/business casual".

Are they still going to be sending interview invites?

I'm wondering the same thing. It's probably very wishful thinking, but I was hoping they may send more invites/rejections today since the school doesn't close until tomorrow. As far as I know, they've only had that first initial wave of invites in November.

I'm wondering the same thing. It's probably very wishful thinking, but I was hoping they may send more invites/rejections today since the school doesn't close until tomorrow. As far as I know, they've only had that first initial wave of invites in November.

I'm not sure if it's encouraging or not but I just looked at the website and saw they added another interview date for Feb 17th. Good luck, I hope you guys get one!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who've been accepted! Just wanted to let you all know they are still sending out interview invites! I received an e-mail today. SO. DARN. HAPPY.

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to everyone who've been accepted! Just wanted to let you all know they are still sending out interview invites! I received an e-mail today. SO. DARN. HAPPY.

congrats!

I got mine today too - congrats! I chose the 1/6 date - which day did you choose?

I got mine today too - congrats! I chose the 1/6 date - which day did you choose?
Congrats! I chose the very last date in Feb. I'm from CA and Jan would have been too short notice with work and whatnot. SO EXCITED!

Congrats! I chose the very last date in Feb. I'm from CA and Jan would have been too short notice with work and whatnot. SO EXCITED!
I couldn't wait that long - it's a good thing I live in Lansing :happy: Good luck!

I got an invite too :) I also chose the last date in February since flights for the other dates were so expensive or conflicted with other interviews! I'm coming from Texas. I'm so excited to see the school.

It's a really nice campus - what I've seen of the CVM I really like too. The hospital is huge! :heckyeah: Lansing/East Lansing is also a great area - I wasn't sure how I was going to feel moving from the NY/NJ area to central MI, but it's actually turned out better than I could have imagined.

I still haven't heard anything. Does anyone know if they have sent out rejections yet?

I still haven't heard anything. Does anyone know if they have sent out rejections yet?

They sent some earlier in the fall - if you haven't heard yet, you still might have a chance? I think they are sending out invites through January.

For those that have already interviewed, did people have parents there for the stuff the day before the interview? Also, any advice or information on what to expect? I interview on Friday and I'm so nervous!

For those that have already interviewed, did people have parents there for the stuff the day before the interview? Also, any advice or information on what to expect? I interview on Friday and I'm so nervous!
Yeah, plenty of people had parents or a s/o tagging along for the tour and waiting downstairs during their interviews! Honestly, just be yourself. I don't know if they have a different set of interviewers for every weekend but either way, they're all very nice and encouraging for the most part. It was my first MMI and I ended up actually enjoying it!

My mom was there for the meet & greet since she picked me up at the airport and drove me to lansing, and she was interested in seeing the school. There were quite a few parents/spouses there.

Like ben said, and I know its hard to actually do, but just relax and enjoy it. The actual MMI is nothing to get nervous about. Also from what they told us in December, the interview isn't going to make or break you. It might nudge you up or down a tiny bit, but the rest of your app is going to play a larger role in admissions. Good luck!

One piece of advice I want to offer is to talk to the other applicants.

This might be easy for you, but personally I was so nervous last year that I just kind of kept to myself during the meet & greet and while waiting for the MMIs to start. Didn't talk to anybody except for a couple of faculty members who briefly said hi to me. This year I spent more time talking to the other applicants and I think that helped settle my nerves.

The MMIs in general though aren't so bad. You'll probably be nervous initially, especially if you've never done an MMI before... but once they get started it'll go by really fast. I'd almost call them fun (but it is a vet school interview so it's stressful by nature).

Best of luck to all of you interviewing this week.

Kind of a weird question for those who have interviewed, but did they let you have a pen & paper (or tiny notebook) to make notes to yourself about the prompts? I'm going to be mock MMI-ing this week, and I want to practice as closely to the format as possible.

Kind of a weird question for those who have interviewed, but did they let you have a pen & paper (or tiny notebook) to make notes to yourself about the prompts? I'm going to be mock MMI-ing this week, and I want to practice as closely to the format as possible.

nope, you aren't allowed to bring anything with you during the MMI part. You have to leave everything in a separate room. Honestly, I doubt having a pen & paper would even come in handy for the type of questions/prompts they use.

For those of you who have interviewed already...How did you keep track of time once you were in the room? Was there a timer/clock in there? Did you wear a watch/did you feel like you were looking at it all the time?

Still have yet to hear anything from them. Hoping to hear some news, good or bad, this week.

For those of you who have interviewed already...How did you keep track of time once you were in the room? Was there a timer/clock in there? Did you wear a watch/did you feel like you were looking at it all the time?

It's been a minute for me, but they're might have been a 1 minute warning over a walkie talkie. I can't remember exactly if it was MSU or another school that did that last year.

I didn't wear a watch, and aren't sure if they'd even allow it. There might be someone who tries to use a smart watch or something to record the scenarios.

Like @Teepster87 said, they do have a one minute warning. There is someone over a sound system that announces it.

I still haven't heard anything either, so I decided to call...here's how it went when I inquired about the status of my application:
"When was the last time you heard from us?"
Me: "Beginning of November"
AO: "And what did it say?"
Me: ...read her the email...
AO: "Right. So thats it. Obviously you are still being evaluated"

Thats it. literally.
:confused:

I still haven't heard anything either, so I decided to call...here's how it went when I inquired about the status of my application:

Thats it. literally.

Dang. :/ I feel your pain though. I still haven't heard anything either. They didn't happen to say when they would send out the next wave of interviews? I'm guessing it has to be soon as the last interview date is February 17th.

Dang. :/ I feel your pain though. I still haven't heard anything either. They didn't happen to say when they would send out the next wave of interviews? I'm guessing it has to be soon as the last interview date is February 17th.
Your guess is as good as mine....I was so taken back by the tone (im guessing its because shes gotten a lot of these calls??), that I just froze and wanted to hang up as soon as possible.

Thats it. literally.

Oh dear...... Well thank you for being brave and calling!

Oh dear...... Well thank you for being brave and calling!
Update: "We will continue to send interview invitations through the first full week in February."

good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats everyone who interviewed today and good luck to those going on Monday!

So I must ask.. In December they mentioned IS decisions should be announced by mid-January. Did they mention anything about that today?

They told us today that the last of the IS students are interviewing Monday, so they are still hoping to get all IS decisions out mid January and OOS mid February:clap:

They told us today that the last of the IS students are interviewing Monday, so they are still hoping to get all IS decisions out mid January and OOS mid February:clap:

I'm happy to hear they're still on track! Good luck!

Hey guys... I just turned down my interview offer. It's on January 9th (this Monday!). I'm hoping someone has a chance to get an interview for that spot. But I'm not sure whether they will get the messages I left today. I sure hope some of you are close and around just in case there is an opening :). I was really looking forward to going but needed to consider that I've been accepted to my in-state school and some others, etc. Good luck to those who are interviewing Monday!

Hey guys... I just turned down my interview offer. It's on January 9th (this Monday!). I'm hoping someone has a chance to get an interview for that spot. But I'm not sure whether they will get the messages I left today. I sure hope some of you are close and around just in case there is an opening :). I was really looking forward to going but needed to consider that I've been accepted to my in-state school and some others, etc. Good luck to those who are interviewing Monday!
Congratulations!! What is your instate?

UC Davis :).
It was really hard to turn down the offer BTW. I was really looking forward to the interview and the possibility of going to Michigan State :).

Anyone (current students, interviewees) around Lansing tonight and want to grab dinner?

Does anyone know MSU's policy for rescheduling interviews due to weather? Mine is supposed to be tomorrow but flight just got cancelled :arghh:

Does anyone know MSU's policy for rescheduling interviews due to weather? Mine is supposed to be tomorrow but flight just got cancelled :arghh:
CALL THEM in the AM! They are going to be more far more useful than us :)

I would email them right now, explain the situation and offer proof of your flight cancellation, then call first thing in the am.