Michigan State - opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brassmonkey

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who either attend or have interviewed at Michigan state, what do you think about the program? What do you like/dislike about the program, what do you see as the strengths/weaknesses, etc... I will be applying this year and am not yet sure which field of veterinary medicine I would pursue... either small animal/shelter medicine or pathology seem most likely at this point, but I am also interested in large animal or possibly equine (pretty much anything except exotics and birds)... any information on these specific areas? They seem to have a well developed pathology department, but do vet students get much exposure in this area, or is it mainly geared towards pathology residents?
Thanks!
 
i interviewed at msu recently (still waiting to here back)....and i really liked it up there. actually, prior to the interview, i was feeling a little iffy about msu compared to other programs. the admissions staff are all SUPER nice and the first-years that came down to talk to us/give us a tour were all extremely nice and welcoming.
not that i really heard first hand, but msu is definitely known for pathology as well as toxicology. and for large animal/equine they are well-respected. i've known many people who have had fairly major medical concerns with their horses (in the state of michigan), and they pretty much all head over to msu.
i think what i like best about their program is they have a fairly diverse variety of electives you can take in your 3rd/4th year, especially compared to some other schools i looked at.
but that's just my opinion, prob people who actually attend can provide more info.
 
I just interviewed there and really liked it. MSU is a big school, and the vet schools is really big as well. They have a large caseload all around (large/small and they had alot of wild birds -eagles, red tailed hawks, etc.) They are very involved in research at all levels and work closely with other departments of MSU (such as toxicology.) They work with a large amount of farms in the area. They allow students to go down to the hospitals whenever they want to and listen in on rounds and things like that. The new oncology building is beautiful. I can't really think of any negatives, other than the weather! I like that E. Lansing is a pretty busy town with alot to do but surround by country and farms. The MSU campus is easy to get lost in, but the vet schools is mostly all in one big building.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks, Chordy4 and OSJ for your replies!
I guess people don't have too much to say about MSU... but I suppose that could be a good thing, too 🙂
 
I loved MSU...everyone was so friendly, and I really liked the facilities. Definitely on the top of my list. Now if I can just make it through the next week and a half...
 
Their new oncology building is just beautiful and they purposely overbuilt for future cases. I particularly liked the variety of elective clerkships that you can do in your 4th year. Also, you are always welcome to come down to the hospital and watch whatever you want. I found everyone to be super-friendly - anytime I had a question for the admissions people, they were very quick to respond. 🙂

Now if I can just make it through the next week and a half...
ditto!!!! it's gonna be a long week and a half!!!! :scared:
 
when are we supposed to hear from MSU. I interviewed like a lifetime ago... it feels like.... Anyone know???? I need to start planning my next four years!!!!! Jeeezzzzz 🙂
 
I was told by admissions that the committee would be meeting this week and letters will go out next week:scared:
 
Yep, I heard today that they are making their final decision TODAY and will be sending out the letters tomorrow or on Monday at the latest.

I'm really nervous because my back up plan is a MPH, and one of the school's deadline is Saterday. Hopefully, I'll know whether it's do or die tomorrow - or I might even just pick up the letter is person! Geeze o' petes!

You woud think gray hair and balding would come after you retire, right? 😱
 
WOW! Now I'm really going to be freaking out! Let us know if you hear anymore information!

Good luck to all! 🙂
 
Yep, I heard today that they are making their final decision TODAY and will be sending out the letters tomorrow or on Monday at the latest.

I'm really nervous because my back up plan is a MPH, and one of the school's deadline is Saterday. Hopefully, I'll know whether it's do or die tomorrow - or I might even just pick up the letter is person! Geeze o' petes!

You woud think gray hair and balding would come after you retire, right? 😱
eekkkk 😱 let the mailman stalking begin!!!!!! 😀 good luck to everyone waiting to hear.... :luck:
 
:luck::luck::luck::luck: A 4-leaf clover times 4! Hopefully this is good luck for all of that are waiting to hear. I loved it at MSU, the students really made me feel like this was the place I wanted to be. This will be the longest 2 weeks ever, but hopefully it will be the best 2 weeks with an acceptance waiting! Good Luck all, and I hope to see you posting on the acceptances thread soon! 😀
 
I emailed them on Tuesday and was told letters were going out Friday. It wasn't some vague response either. They actually told me the plan was to send out letters Friday. I hope to God it isn't Monday because I am on the edge of my seat.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sending them out tomorrow?! I'll get nothing done this weekend...:scared:

Anyone know what the size of their alternate list will/could be?
 
I emailed them on Tuesday and was told letters were going out Friday. It wasn't some vague response either. They actually told me the plan was to send out letters Friday. I hope to God it isn't Monday because I am on the edge of my seat.

Me too!! I'm going out of town for a long weekend with my hubby... so.... my future could be in my mailbox when I come home on sunday....

oh boy... I'm gonna need lots of adult beverages this weekend 😀
 
Does anybody know if the letters are being sent out today for sure??? 😕
 
Does anybody know if the letters are being sent out today for sure??? 😕
I believe so.... to add to my freak-out factor, I have an email from MSU CVM Admissions for a loan application.... 😱😱😱😱😱
 
Yep, me too!! The title of that email really sent my heart into my throat. :laugh:
 
I couldn't take the waiting any more and called MSU....

they would not tell me my decision over the phone but Ivette did say that letters were going out today.... 😀
 
good work rustysmom Yeah!!! have a fun trip this weekend if you are still going. I'm jumping the mail man!!!!
 
Do they send the loan application to everyone?? Or just those accepted? I got one too! Oh and now I am going out of town for the weekend too. AHH.
 
For those of you that received loan application emails....have you already sent in your FAFSA? I'm wondering if I may not have received the email because I haven't turned in my FAFSA yet. I'm freaking a little, so any replies would be greatly appreciated!!!
 
I didn't get an email either but have not turned in FAFSA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No problem!

I hope that it means if you get one, you are accepted AND your turned in your FAFSA. So to confirm this we need someone that has turned in their FAFSA and has NOT gotten the loan app.
 
No problem!

I hope that it means if you get one, you are accepted AND your turned in your FAFSA. So to confirm this we need someone that has turned in their FAFSA and has NOT gotten the loan app.

Spoken like a true scientist...I should make this a poll! What's making me even more nervous is that I emailed the financial aid office 2-3 days ago with questions about med school loans and haven't received a response. Thanks again everyone for your responses...hopefully more people can confirm my line of thinking!
 
I just turned in my fafsa a couple of days ago... I've been lazy with getting my taxes done... 😳

here's hoping for good news for everyone tomorrow or Monday... :luck:
 
I did not turn in my FAFSA (?--I didn't even know anything about this?) and DID get an email. Hopefully this is good!!

Good luck to everyone!
 
So some of us might be getting letters tomorrow??? Good luck everybody! 🙂
 
OK - so it's not based on FAFSA. Is it based on IS vs OOS? I am IS and I DID get an email. Any logic to this theory?
 
I am OOS and did not get an email. I haven't turned in my FASFA yet, and I have never turned one in the past for undergrad.
 
I believe Shuvball is OOS, and got the email. I have to say I'm worried...but good luck to everyone!
 
i figure i'm just going to wait until the letter arrives this week...no sense driving myself insane trying to figure out why i didn't receive an email...nothing i can do about it now.

(ps. i'm IS, DID file FAFSA, DID NOT receive email...for those of you still keeping track)
 
No letter yet... here's hoping for good news for everyone tomorrow!! :luck:
 
I am guessing there is nothing to read into, but this whole process has made me nuts. I apologize for any of my insanity - good luck to all and let's all keep our fingers crossed. 🙂
 
Waitlisted for MSU...any thoughts on how to handle the waiting or how fast the OOS alternate list moves? 🙁😕🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this isn't based on any factual information, BUT i have a feeling it will move a fair amount. i think that to a lot of people, MSU isn't especially high up on their list for one reason or another...don't know why...so if they get into another school and MSU, they'll often pick the other school

that's just my conjecture though...

did they give you a number??
 
No, no number...they make it a policy not to. But thanks for the info-anything (including conjecture) is appreciated😛:luck:
 
big manila envelope for those who are curious!!!! 😀

hang in there, mickeyspet - I'm rooting for you! =)