EB73674

2+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2017
Hi all, didn't see this thread anywhere yet so thought I'd pop on and start one! I am a non-traditional OOS applicant, 2nd time applying to Michigan. I didn't make it to interviews last time around, but hopeful that I'll have a better shot this year!

I do have a question - it's not listed anywhere on VMCAS, but MSU's website states there's a pre-req requirement for animal nutrition. Anyone know if this applies to c/o 2025 applicants or will take effect for the c/o 2026 applicants? Want to make sure I don't apply & get rejected based on a missing pre-req!

Apr 17, 2020
I didn’t make the interview cut either, what we’re your stats? I don’t see animal nutrition as a requirement on their website so I’m not sure where you found that information.

EB73674

2+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2017
I didn’t make the interview cut either, what we’re your stats? I don’t see animal nutrition as a requirement on their website so I’m not sure where you found that information.
Sure! My GPA wasn't great, so my guess that was my downfall. Last-36 was around a 3.2, science was 3.1. Experience hours were about 3500 veterinary, about 10,000 animal, about 4000 non-animal employment experience.

I think I was looking at an old website, I realized that they specify they don't require the GRE but I was looking at one that used it to calculate your selection score, so I can't imagine that's correct!

Last edited:
About the Ads

EB73674

2+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2017
How are your experiences? They don’t require GRE now.
I edited my post above with my experiences - I have both LA & SA GP experience, but nothing in exotics or any kind of specialties. This was something I was working on getting before COVID, but likely not going to be able to do the shadowing or research I was hoping would happen...

emgesell

MSU CVM c/o 2025!!!!!
Sep 6, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
IS. 2nd time applying! Taking the CASPer test Sept. 9th

Reactions: 1 user

emgesell

MSU CVM c/o 2025!!!!!
Sep 6, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Same! I’m taking it sept 24th!
Yay! How exciting ☺️☺️ Maybe they’ll get decisions out sooner since they’re already starting the “interview” process. Do you think they’re having everyone take them? On the website it says invites aren’t going out until October.

Apr 17, 2020
Yay! How exciting Maybe they’ll get decisions out sooner since they’re already starting the “interview” process. Do you think they’re having everyone take them? On the website it says invites aren’t going out until October.

I think all IS in goos academic standing and meeting all criteria have to take it. Do you know why you got rejected last year?

emgesell

MSU CVM c/o 2025!!!!!
Sep 6, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I think all IS in goos academic standing and meeting all criteria have to take it. Do you know why you got rejected last year?
My husband is in the Marines, and we were living out of state for about 9 months last year. I accidentally submitted my app as an OOS applicant (even though I’m legally MI), then felt horrible and tried to fix the mistake, and I think doing all of that had a huge impact on my overall application and rejection. :/ I also had less than the recommended vet experience at the time, making that portion of my app not that competitive. I’m really hoping for this year! How about you?

Apr 17, 2020
My husband is in the Marines, and we were living out of state for about 9 months last year. I accidentally submitted my app as an OOS applicant (even though I’m legally MI), then felt horrible and tried to fix the mistake, and I think doing all of that had a huge impact on my overall application and rejection. :/ I also had less than the recommended vet experience at the time, making that portion of my app not that competitive. I’m really hoping for this year! How about you?

They wouldn’t give me feedback... I had 3.82 GPA at the time now I have 3.84. And I had 2000 ish experience, now I have 3300 ish but mostly small animal. I didn’t have any research which I think made a difference too. I had a research experience lined up but it got cancelled by covid along with my horse experience and more alpaca experience. Hopefully they see I’ve done a lot of work trying to improve despite having no feedback.

emgesell

MSU CVM c/o 2025!!!!!
Sep 6, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
They wouldn’t give me feedback... I had 3.82 GPA at the time now I have 3.84. And I had 2000 ish experience, now I have 3300 ish but mostly small animal. I didn’t have any research which I think made a difference too. I had a research experience lined up but it got cancelled by covid along with my horse experience and more alpaca experience. Hopefully they see I’ve done a lot of work trying to improve despite having no feedback.
Yeah, I’ve literally spent the entire year doing things to improve my app, and feel like I’ve seen a lot of growth in myself and my app since last year so I hope they see it!

About the Ads
Apr 17, 2020
Yeah, I’ve literally spent the entire year doing things to improve my app, and feel like I’ve seen a lot of growth in myself and my app since last year so I hope they see it!

Gosh I hope so too! I’m sure being considered IS will help too! Did you submit yet?

emgesell

MSU CVM c/o 2025!!!!!
Sep 6, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Gosh I hope so too! I’m sure being considered IS will help too! Did you submit yet?
Yes, everything is in! The day it was verified I got an email from MSU with my invite to take the CASPer test.

Apr 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hey, MSU peeps! I’m an OOS 2nd time applicant! Anyone know what the protocol for CASPer is for MSU OOS applicants? The website said “interview” invites will be sent out in October which I assume means an invite to take the CASPer test.. I take mine tomorrow and did not select MSU as a school to send to since I thought I needed to hear back from MSU about an interview before submitting them my CASPer score. Is anyone taking CASPer before submitting their application and sending it to MSU without an invite?

Apr 17, 2020
Hey, MSU peeps! I’m an OOS 2nd time applicant! Anyone know what the protocol for CASPer is for MSU OOS applicants? The website said “interview” invites will be sent out in October which I assume means an invite to take the CASPer test.. I take mine tomorrow and did not select MSU as a school to send to since I thought I needed to hear back from MSU about an interview before submitting them my CASPer score. Is anyone taking CASPer before submitting their application and sending it to MSU without an invite?

I would send it to MSU with or without and invite because you can only take the test once a year or something like that!

Reactions: 1 users

raegan117

vmcvm '25
May 11, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I'm not applying to MSU; just snooping. You can add additional schools to your distribution list after you've taken the test. They'll just send the same scores to MSU as they did to your other schools. Go to "reservation" and then click "add/view" and it should give you the option to add another school. I wouldn't bother paying to send your scores to MSU now if you don't even know if you'll need to.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

emgesell

MSU CVM c/o 2025!!!!!
Sep 6, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary

I'm IS, but I submitted my application a few weeks ago and got an email from MSU CVM with a CASPer invite and exactly how to sign up/send it to MSU using my VMCAS ID. I went on, and after putting in my VMCAS ID it automatically added MSU CVM onto the list for where my CASPer test will be sent to. You can always send your scores to them after getting an invite, but I would wait to send them scores until you officially get the invite email!

biomajor2019

LMU-CVM C/O 2025
2+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi all! Just submitted my application for Michigan State!!! 1st time applicant, OOS! I'm also taking the CASPer Sept 9th!

Reactions: 2 users
Jan 1, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I got the CASPER interview invite, and already completed the test back in July. Does anyone know if completing it earlier has any benefit? Like will those of us who did the test sooner get an answer sooner or no?

Apr 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I got the CASPER interview invite, and already completed the test back in July. Does anyone know if completing it earlier has any benefit? Like will those of us who did the test sooner get an answer sooner or no?

I’m in the same boat as you with completing the test early & getting an invite afterwards! I’d love to know the answer to this question too lol. I feel like the timeline for everything is so different this year because of covid! Last year I didn’t even hear from Michigan State until January.

Jul 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
How long after you guys were verified by VMCAS did it take Michigan state to send a Casper invite?

pawprintsandponytails

MsState 2025
Apr 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Wow, that's fast! I wonder if they are going to send CASPER invites to everyone as long as you meet the 3.0 requirement.

I had the same question I emailed them Friday asking if the CASPER was it for interviews or if they will use rankings and CASPER scores to invite students for a virtual interview, I’ll post the response I get from admissions!

Reactions: 3 users

pawprintsandponytails

MsState 2025
Apr 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I had the same question I emailed them Friday asking if the CASPER was it for interviews or if they will use rankings and CASPER scores to invite students for a virtual interview, I’ll post the response I get from admissions!

UPDATE**

We will be using CASPer in place of interviews this year. There will be no virtual interviews.

Best,
Lauren

WELL I am surprised they already started sending out CASPer invites (since their website says they will start sending them out in October?) If you haven't gotten an invite I wouldn't stress too much! They may just be reviewing applications as they come in! I submitted my application September 8th! I am sure they are getting a FLOOD of applications with the deadline round the corner and will be taking longer to process applications!

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads
May 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
UPDATE**

We will be using CASPer in place of interviews this year. There will be no virtual interviews.

Best,
Lauren

WELL I am surprised they already started sending out CASPer invites (since their website says they will start sending them out in October?) If you haven't gotten an invite I wouldn't stress too much! They may just be reviewing applications as they come in! I submitted my application September 8th! I am sure they are getting a FLOOD of applications with the deadline round the corner and will be taking longer to process applications!
I am shocked as well! I haven't received an interview invite since I submitted my application Friday evening, but hopefully I get one soon! :) Thank you for emailing!!

pawprintsandponytails

MsState 2025
Apr 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I think every Michigan resident will get a Casper interview. Anyone know if this is correct?

I am OOS, but I would say they are just replacing interviews with CASPer based on the email I got from admissions so if normally the interview all instate then perhaps.

pawprintsandponytails

MsState 2025
Apr 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
They don’t usually so idk what they’re doing I guess. Did you get an invite to do the Casper

I did! So I emailed them because online it said that invites wouldn’t be until October. So I was thinking maybe they were using CASPer to help rank for virtual interviews. But I emailed admissions and they are using CASPer in place of interviews ‍

emgesell

MSU CVM c/o 2025!!!!!
Sep 6, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Was there a date in the email on when the CASPer had to be taken by?

I think it’s different for IS and OOS based on the wording of the email I got. But for IS, it said that I had to have it completed by Nov. 17th.

emgesell

MSU CVM c/o 2025!!!!!
Sep 6, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
For those of you that have completed the CASPer test and your account says “Completed- results delivered,” have you emailed MSU to make sure they received your score? Or should I be confident that they got it? I did make sure MSU was added to my distribution list.

pawprintsandponytails

MsState 2025
Apr 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I did not, I waited until MSU sent me an invitation to send my CASPer results. Then I added it to my school list and sent them. I have not received any other communication from them. I got my invitation on 9/8 and sent them the same day.

emgesell

MSU CVM c/o 2025!!!!!
Sep 6, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I did not, I waited until MSU sent me an invitation to send my CASPer results. Then I added it to my school list and sent them. I have not received any other communication from them. I got my invitation on 9/8 and sent them the same day.

Ok!! I got my invite on 8/19, and took the CASPer test on 9/9. My CASPer account just updated and told me they sent the scores. So I wasn’t sure if I should follow up with MSU or not!

Sep 18, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi everyone! I am a first time OOS applicant! Looking forward to hearing back from MSU. Is anybody familiar with the timeline since interviews have been cancelled?

Dec 25, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi guys! Has anybody that has been verified by VMCAS not received an online interview invite yet? I saw a lot of people had received their invite email the same day as they got verified and so I guess I'm worried I am not getting an interview.

Jul 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi guys! Has anybody that has been verified by VMCAS not received an online interview invite yet? I saw a lot of people had received their invite email the same day as they got verified and so I guess I'm worried I am not getting an interview.
I havent recieved anything from them about interviews or the casper test and I was verified on Sept 2

pawprintsandponytails

MsState 2025
Apr 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I know that the interviews are set to go out in early October! So I wouldn't stress out! I thought it was odd to receive one so early and that has me more worried lol

pawprintsandponytails

MsState 2025
Apr 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi everyone! I am a first time OOS applicant! Looking forward to hearing back from MSU. Is anybody familiar with the timeline since interviews have been cancelled?

I asked them about the role CASPer plays and they are in place on in person interviews. The are reviewing applications, extending CASPer invites (for interviews) then making their admissions decisions. Invitations for interviews (CASPer) will be sent beginning in October. (even though some of us have already received them, and I am not sure what that part is about)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads