Michigan State University c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they doing Casper instead of interviews? Got mine 2 weeks ago but wasn’t sure if it was in addition or I place off the interviews
I believe it’s in place of interviews.

Also, did anyone who sent their CASPer results without getting an invite, have you received anything from MSU about this? Not sure if I shot myself in the foot somehow by doing that...

Members don't see this ad.

Also, did anyone who sent their CASPer results without getting an invite, have you received anything from MSU about this? Not sure if I shot myself in the foot somehow by doing that...
I also did this because all of my other schools that required CASpers, required that they automatically be sent. The only email I have gotten from MSU was the one stating that they received my application and the next time I will hear from them will be in November. Did you get that email?

I sent my Casper scores to the school prior to submitting my application and received the email inviting me to take the test or send my scores, it said to regard if they were already sent.

Members don't see this ad :)

I took my CASPER test on the 9/9 and sent it to MSU anyways. I didn't know at the time that the CASPER would replace it with interviews this cycle. Like @Comet12 said, I was invited to take the test but if I already did then I should disregard it.

Reactions: 1 user
I took my CASPER test on the 9/9 and sent it to MSU anyways. I didn't know at the time that the CASPER would replace it with interviews this cycle. Like @Comet12 said, I was invited to take the test but if I already did then I should disregard it.

I thought I saw somewhere that it was in addition to interviews but now I can’t find anywhere where it says for sure one way or another

I thought I saw somewhere that it was in addition to interviews but now I can’t find anywhere where it says for sure one way or another
It said on the website that the CASPER will take in place of interviews and not everyone will receive an invite to take the CASPER test. @pawprintsandponytails sent out an email to MSU to clear the confusion and they said that there will be no virtual interviews this cycle.

From what I understand based on their website and communications with their office. CASPer is in place of interviews, not everyone will receive invites, only competitive applicants. After the initial review of applications, invitations are then sent out to applicants selected for an "interview" or CASPer test for this cycle. You have the option of sending previous scores (I did this by just going into my account after getting the invite and selecting Michigan) or you can register for a test date. They still have the following dates available with the testing system to be sent to Michigan:

Oct 13, 2020 - 8:00 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2020 - 5:00 PM EDT
Nov 17, 2020 - 8:00 PM EST
Dec 10, 2020 - 5:00 PM EST

I am not sure how they would handle those who sent scores before being requested or without request. I would assume you would have gotten the invitation still if selected. I would also think that they will pull all CASPer results following the final test date and cross pull the list with those invited and look at results as they determine final ranks. This section is my speculation, I do not know for certain.

If you haven't received a request, remember no news is good news because you are still in the running and I would not stress.
I echo the not stressing. However I really don’t know how MSU is doing things this year... I sent my app in on 9/15 and was verified and was sent the invitation on 9/18 for “meeting the academic requirements.” I’ve heard that after your app is verified and meet the requirements that they’ll send an invite. I’m IS btw. I met a girl who got hers as early as August. So don’t stress!!

Reactions: 1 users
I also did this because all of my other schools that required CASpers, required that they automatically be sent. The only email I have gotten from MSU was the one stating that they received my application and the next time I will hear from them will be in November. Did you get that email?

Just got that last night, says I can just disregard if I've already sent them, so at least that answers my question!

I received the email to take the CASPer test on 9/3 (the same day I was verified by VMCAS) and scheduled to take it on November 17th. OOS, first-time applicant!

I wonder how they are doing things? Cause it seems in the CASPer e-mail that individuals are receiving basically says you met the academic requirements so please take the test. I am an OOS second time applicant, and I know for sure I meet their gpa requirements. The last I heard from Michigan was an e-mail saying unless I was missing anything they would not contact me until November. What is going on?!! o_O

I wonder how they are doing things? Cause it seems in the CASPer e-mail that individuals are receiving basically says you met the academic requirements so please take the test. I am an OOS second time applicant, and I know for sure I meet their gpa requirements. The last I heard from Michigan was an e-mail saying unless I was missing anything they would not contact me until November. What is going on?!! o_O

The wording in their email is very odd, because their website says you will be invited for a CASPer test for the interview? But the email is like eh well you meet our requirements so here ya go. Tough to tell where you stand with this style of process. I wish everyone had clear cut outlines of dates and procedures.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The wording in their email is very odd, because their website says you will be invited for a CASPer test for the interview? But the email is like eh well you meet our requirements so here ya go. Tough to tell where you stand with this style of process. I wish everyone had clear cut outlines of dates and procedures.

To add to this, it doesn’t help that when you email them for clarification and more info, they also just state CASPer is being used as their interviews so who knows! Just hoping for the best.

To add to this, it doesn’t help that when you email them for clarification and more info, they also just state CASPer is being used as their interviews so who knows! Just hoping for the best.

Agreed lol I asked about getting mine earlier than October and didn't really get any information other than confirmation that CASPer in the place of interviews. I did see on Facebook a number of people getting the email about no communication until November. I haven't heard anything from MSU since I got my CASPer invitation.

I guess were supposed to get an email when our Casper is received. My Casper portal says delivered but I haven’t received an email saying they got it. Has anyone received that email?

I guess were supposed to get an email when our Casper is received. My Casper portal says delivered but I haven’t received an email saying they got it. Has anyone received that email?

I think people who got the November email haven't received invitations for CASPer yet, based on the Facebook post. It seemed like people have gotten the CASPer invites or an email about no contact until November?

I think people who got the November email haven't received invitations for CASPer yet, based on the Facebook post. It seemed like people have gotten the CASPer invites or an email about no contact until November?
That’s what it seems like to me, too (I saw that in fb, too). I got a CASPer invite, and my scores have been sent to them but I have not received any confirmation email from MSU. I was debating emailing them to verify that they received my scores, but I also don’t want to bother them.

That’s what it seems like to me, too (I saw that in fb, too). I got a CASPer invite, and my scores have been sent to them but I have not received any confirmation email from MSU. I was debating emailing them to verify that they received my scores, but I also don’t want to bother them.

What Facebook page?

Same! I hate to be a bother, but like yo did yall get them? Y'all want me? Wanna just send that acceptance letter, like yesterday? Stressed.

Reactions: 4 users
Same! I hate to be a bother, but like yo did yall get them? Y'all want me? Wanna just send that acceptance letter, like yesterday? Stressed.
I feel the SAME way I asked one of the vets I work with who just graduated from MSU a year ago about emailing them and she recommended I wait a bit for them to contact me. It’s still early on in the process. Ive double and triple checked that my scores have been sent to MSU. I just wish they’d email us more info!!

Obviously, something was miscommunicated on their part because they said on their website if you get a CASPER invite then you will move onto the next selection process and may choose a selected time and date if you get selected for an interview. But now they are saying that they will not do virtual interviews this year and the CASPER will take place instead of an interview. This decision sounds like it was a last-minute decision, which is fine but I wish they told us a timeline or maybe an update on their selection process.

I got an email from them saying that they did receive my CASper scores after inviting me to take it. The email stated decisions for continuation in the process will be made by December 31st

I got an email from them saying that they did receive my CASper scores after inviting me to take it. The email stated decisions for continuation in the process will be made by December 31st

Ugh they didn’t send me a confirmation that my scores were received but my Casper says it’s sent. So Dec 31st is accept, deny or waitlist??

Ugh they didn’t send me a confirmation that my scores were received but my Casper says it’s sent. So Dec 31st is accept, deny or waitlist??

All it said at the end was “Notification of continuation in the process will be made by email by December 31, 2020” so I’m not sure if that’s interview invites or decisions

When did you get the email?

All it said at the end was “Notification of continuation in the process will be made by email by December 31, 2020” so I’m not sure if that’s interview invites or decisions

**everyone starts panicking**

• Haha
I know last year, some of my friends had emails from the CVM go to their junk mailbox or spam folder. It may be worth going through those folders just to see if something slipped by! :)

I am right there right you I know I meet the academic requirements and I submitted my app early and received the November email. It seems like almost everyone else has gotten a CASPER invite almost the next few days! I'm so lost

Hey guys so I think by saying you can pick a date and time is referring to picking a date and time for the CASPer once you get invited since there are many dates available. CASPer is the final step in the admissions process before a decision.

From what I can understand, Michigan is FULLY replacing ALL interviews with the CASPer. Any time they use the word "interview" in communication this year, they mean the CASPer (unless I've totally misunderstood the 3 e-mails). I received in order, a "we received all your materials and will reach out if we want you to take the CASPer", a "you met the academic requirements and we want you to take the CASPer", and a "we received your CASPer already sent, we'll contact you by December with an admissions decision" one. So...I think if you've received all 3, or have received the first 2 & are taking the CASPer, you're in the waiting period. Seems like we'll at least get an update by December 31st, if not an outright admissions decision. I, for one, am quite excited, I didn't even if make it this far last year!

Reactions: 5 users
I have received the first two emails but I did not receive the third email stating that they received my CASPER scores. I took my CASPER test on 9/9 so I sent them an email asking if they received my scores because now I am freaking out thinking that I blew my chance with this "interview" already or they haven't received my scores even though I sent my scores to this school before I received the invite.

From what I can understand, Michigan is FULLY replacing ALL interviews with the CASPer. Any time they use the word "interview" in communication this year, they mean the CASPer (unless I've totally misunderstood the 3 e-mails). I received in order, a "we received all your materials and will reach out if we want you to take the CASPer", a "you met the academic requirements and we want you to take the CASPer", and a "we received your CASPer already sent, we'll contact you by December with an admissions decision" one. So...I think if you've received all 3, or have received the first 2 & are taking the CASPer, you're in the waiting period. Seems like we'll at least get an update by December 31st, if not an outright admissions decision. I, for one, am quite excited, I didn't even if make it this far last year!

I got the first two emails— all materials recieved and then a CASPer invite— but I didn’t get the third and it sounds like not many have who’ve been invited to ‘interview’. How long after sending your scores did you receive this email? Or had you sent your scores pre-invite?

I’m just trying to make sense of things.

I sent my scores in pre invite and I haven’t received anything except for the invitation and a newsletter

I got the first two emails— all materials recieved and then a CASPer invite— but I didn’t get the third and it sounds like not many have who’ve been invited to ‘interview’. How long after sending your scores did you receive this email? Or had you sent your scores pre-invite?

I’m just trying to make sense of things.
I sent my scores in pre-invite, I had a few for other schools to send & I just sent them all at once! That would have been right around the last week of August, so they definitely have had plenty of time to receive. I wouldn't worry unless it's been over 3 weeks since you sent the scores, they have a LOT coming through their office.

I sent my scores in pre invite and I haven’t received anything except for the invitation and a newsletter
I really think they're all a little discombobulated, this is such a weird cycle that I would not be at all surprised if they just haven't processed things yet. I would wait until at least 3 weeks after sending them to get worried.

I sent my scores in pre-invite, I had a few for other schools to send & I just sent them all at once! That would have been right around the last week of August, so they definitely have had plenty of time to receive. I wouldn't worry unless it's been over 3 weeks since you sent the scores, they have a LOT coming through their office.

I sent my scores almost a month ago. I’m honestly not too concerned about a confirmation email for my CASPer results as I trust they were properly sent, and it sounds like there’s a lot of people who sent their scores sooner than I did that haven’t heard anything else either. I also know they’re probably super swamped as well!

Did you say when you received that last email?

I feel like it will give me peace of mind and maybe help some for those who need it if I just send an email. I have no shame for bothering the school by sending them an email. :laugh: I mean I did not just pay over a grand to have all of my scores and my application sent to them to then find out later that something might have happened to my CASPER scores. I trust the process and I know after this I will never bother them again. :giggle:

I sent my scores almost a month ago. I’m honestly not too concerned about a confirmation email for my CASPer results as I trust they were properly sent, and it sounds like there’s a lot of people who sent their scores sooner than I did that haven’t heard anything else either. I also know they’re probably super swamped as well!

Did you say when you received that last email?
I just got that last e-mail within the last 48 hours, not long ago at all.

I just got that last e-mail within the last 48 hours, not long ago at all.

I got the last email about 2 weeks after asking the invite to take the test but I also sent my scores in early September.

I’m sure they are working through them but it will just take time to get through all of them.

How did everyone find CASPer? Honestly, I wasn't impressed. I understand why there needs to be a time limit to get an idea of applicant's instinctive responses to the situations to give a better picture of how we would actually react, but having such a tight time limit for 3 long-answer questions seems like a strange choice. I understand evaluators are trained not to directly mark answers based on completeness, but how much of your thoughts you have time to express will clearly affect your score. Why would you want composing and typing speed to determine scores on a test advertised to schools as evaluating personal and professional characteristics? And why is the information schools receive reduced to a single numerical score when you are evaluated along multiple competencies - wouldn't it be much more useful for schools to receive your scores along each axis so they can weight them according to their own values and what they're looking for in applicants?

How did everyone find CASPer? Honestly, I wasn't impressed. I understand why there needs to be a time limit to get an idea of applicant's instinctive responses to the situations to give a better picture of how we would actually react, but having such a tight time limit for 3 long-answer questions seems like a strange choice. I understand evaluators are trained not to directly mark answers based on completeness, but how much of your thoughts you have time to express will clearly affect your score. Why would you want composing and typing speed to determine scores on a test advertised to schools as evaluating personal and professional characteristics? And why is the information schools receive reduced to a single numerical score when you are evaluated along multiple competencies - wouldn't it be much more useful for schools to receive your scores along each axis so they can weight them according to their own values and what they're looking for in applicants?
I felt the same. Hopefully it’s not valued as much as other variables.

I felt the same. Hopefully it’s not valued as much as other variables.
I also felt this way. I understand that the CASPer replaces MMIs to the best of its ability but I don't believe being given a numerical score is the perfect judgement of a person...

Side note: I cracked. I asked if we should be receiving confirmation from them directly since I sent my scores in 36 days ago. I Will update with a response.

Side note: I cracked. I asked if we should be receiving confirmation from them directly since I sent my scores in 36 days ago. I Will update with a response.
It's okay I sent them an email last night lmaooo and I took my test on 9/9 so they should've received it by now hopefully.. that's why I had to ask. They didn't reply back yet so they must be super swamped.

I absolutely LOVE how with some schools you can check your status of application and materials. It just provides relief. Maybe they will all make a push towards that method.

Reactions: 3 users
For everyone who was a little anxious because they got the email about not hearing anything till November and had NOT received an invite to take the CASPer do not fear because I just got an invite!!! Maybe I was the only one mildly paranoid that I hadn't gotten one yet and received the email about waiting till November, but if people were in the same boat then don't stress because it didn't mean anything. It really does sound like everyone who meets the academic requirements gets an invite they just haven't gotten to your application yet :)