Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keppsu1

Michigan St. DVM c/o 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on the alternate list at MSU. My interview was 2/17. The letter came by snail mail yesterday.
I think their alternate list = good chance of an offer (overall).
:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

oops, duplicate! sorry!

I got my rejection letter yesterday from Michigan State...apparently I didn't meet their minimum requirements to even get an interview, despite having a 3.8, a 38 on the MCAT, and a few thousand hours of experience...I'd really like to know what those "minimum requirements" were! :p Oh well, it was pretty low on my list anyway. Congrats to those accepted/alternates!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey chickenboo, same here. i have a 3.9, high GREs, and ~2000 hours of experience, but I didn't meet their standards either....

Glad to know it's not just me... high GRE's, high grades, about 2000 hours, and also didn't make it to interview. Since I got into probably my top choice, I didn't mind too much, but it did smart a little that I didn't merit an invite.

I hope those waitlisted get spots and congrats to those accepted!

keppsu1 said:
I'm on the alternate list at MSU. My interview was 2/17. The letter came by snail mail yesterday.
I think their alternate list = good chance of an offer (overall).
:rolleyes:]

I am also on the alternate list. Congrats!! I called the school this morning to find out what number I am on the alternate list, to give me an idea of where I stand. They will not tell you what number you are. They said they will call after April 17th when people do not accept the offer. Usually we will hear by July. The person I spoke to said that in the last 2 years everyone off of the alternate list got accepted. (Good news!) but each year is different so you can't rely on past history. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

just curious, for you out of state people who did and did not get interviews... when did you submit your application? I wonder if the whole rolling process made a big impact on who got selected.

I thought I had a pretty decent chance of at least getting an interview, but I didn't submit my app until ~1 week before the deadline.

verbal_kint said:
just curious, for you out of state people who did and did not get interviews... when did you submit your application? I wonder if the whole rolling process made a big impact on who got selected.

I'll be curious about this. I've been wondering if that made some difference too. I procrastinated and submitted the day the VMCAS was due...

LynnKat said:
I'll be curious about this. I've been wondering if that made some difference too. I procrastinated and submitted the day the VMCAS was due...

I submitted my application on the last day, and got an interview invitation in January. So I don't think the date made difference. Hope that helps!

haha, damn, well there goes that theory! :laugh:

Hey,
I'm in the same boat and was surprised that I didn't even get an interview considering the week before I received my rejection letter I was interviewed and accepted the same day at Ohio State. I thought with a 3.9 GPA, good GRE's, lots of animal hours, and research experience I would have at least been invited to interview. Granted, they were the only school that had so many difficulties with my application. No other school managed to lose transcripts, GRE scores, and debate whether or not my biochemistry class met their requirements (shouldn't have been difficult considering it's the biochemistry that all U of I students in pre-med take). Sorry, for the rambling on, I've just had lots of problems with them.
Trina

Another procrastinator over here...I also submitted my app the day they were due. I guess that theory's already been disproven, though. They emailed me because they said they were missing my GRE scores, so I said yes, that's because I sent you my MCAT scores. I didn't hear anything other than that, though, so maybe they had other problems with my app?? Nothing showed on the website though as being deficient. Oh well.

I didn't have any problems with MSU, but Minnesota misplaced my transcripts and file fee. They emailed me and when I wrote back to tell them I had delivery confirmation, they replied and said, oh, we found the transcripts but dont have the file fee. Told me to send it again, and funny, just before I left for the post office (a little pissed), they emailed and said they found a pile of checks.
I was a little disturbed by this, but it happens I guess. :eek:

twesterm said:
Hey,
I thought with a 3.9 GPA, good GRE's, lots of animal hours, and research experience I would have at least been invited to interview.
Trina

Well I think that one of the nicest aspects of Michigan is that once you are past their initial "Scholastic Indicator Score" component (which I'm sure everyone who has posted in this thread about high GPA's/GRE's/Experience/etc. did... I'm sure you all were invited to have your file reviewed at the very least), the people who then review your application are not given access to your grades or GRE scores. All they have to judge you by are your descriptions of your experiences, your personal statements, and your letters of rec. This way, they avoid any sort of "scholastic bias" when files are being reviewed, as tends to happen when reviewers see transcripts. Once you get to the file review stage, it's clear to Michigan that you are academically capable, and the process then becomes more wholistic/subjective and less based on grades. Even the interviewers don't have access to your transcripts or GRE scores.
I actually feel like this sort of approach is refreshing. I think many people get screwed out of vet school because they don't have 3.9 GPA's, etc... but would in the long run make much better vets than others who might.
This is of course not at ALL implying that you won't make a good vet :) I have no doubts that everyone in this boat with Michigan got into a fantastic school! But I'm just offering an explanation to why Michigan may not have invited everyone with glowing academic records to an interview.