This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YAM313

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got into both schools' MBS program, debating which one would be a better fit. I am from IL but I don't mind at all moving to AZ. Have any of you heard about one being better than the other? I'm set on doing the 2 year MBS in hopes to get accepted elsewhere and drop out after the first year. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Got into both schools' MBS program, debating which one would be a better fit. I am from IL but I don't mind at all moving to AZ. Have any of you heard about one being better than the other? I'm set on doing the 2 year MBS in hopes to get accepted elsewhere and drop out after the first year. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Both schools have a very similar program. The one in AZ was built first I believe (i might be mistaken); however both facilities are new.
IL is actually so recent that they're still building rep and facilities -source: D4 at MWU-IL that goes to my gym (huge guy)
Some dentists in IL have some not so positive things to say about MWU-IL (probably because of price and a certain difficulty to see many patients)
Tbh I don't think it matters which one you go to since they're pretty similar (and very expensive) but I might be a little more inclined to go to AZ jsut cause I've heard some negative negative things about IL. The D4 I know says MWU-IL prepared him 100% to go be a GP so I think they do the job (which is what matters)

Reactions: 1 user
Both schools have a very similar program. The one in AZ was built first I believe (i might be mistaken); however both facilities are new.
IL is actually so recent that they're still building rep and facilities -source: D4 at MWU-IL that goes to my gym (huge guy)
Some dentists in IL have some not so positive things to say about MWU-IL (probably because of price and a certain difficulty to see many patients)
Tbh I don't think it matters which one you go to since they're pretty similar (and very expensive) but I might be a little more inclined to go to AZ jsut cause I've heard some negative negative things about IL. The D4 I know says MWU-IL prepared him 100% to go be a GP so I think they do the job (which is what matters)

I think OP may be referring the the masters in biomedical sciences program not the dental program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think OP may be referring the the masters in biomedical sciences program not the dental program.
you're right. my bad.
no idea about that

Reactions: 1 user
you're right. my bad.
no idea about that

Yeah I don't know too much about either. I did know someone who did the 9 month M.A. Biomedical Sciences program at MWU-AZ. She ended up getting into MWU-AZ right after finishing the masters.

Do you know what her stats were? I'm doing the 2 year just because my sciGPA is a little under 3.0, and overall is 3.18. Hoping to get in elsewhere and leave the program early, and if not then doing the second year and boosting my stats even more
Yeah I don't know too much about either. I did know someone who did the 9 month M.A. Biomedical Sciences program at MWU-AZ. She ended up getting into MWU-AZ right after finishing the masters.

Do you know what her stats were? I'm doing the 2 year just because my sciGPA is a little under 3.0, and overall is 3.18. Hoping to get in elsewhere and leave the program early, and if not then doing the second year and boosting my stats even more

Sorry I have no idea what her stats were, I wish I did! I feel like even 1 year of at least a 3.8 GPA would be enough to prove you can handle dental school. I have attended dental admissions panels before and the advice I have heard is that they like to see you complete the graduate program you're in. It could vary between schools though since I know some people drop out of the masters when they get into dental school. But if you feel that you would be even more competitive by raising your GPA, then maybe consider the second year.

Sorry I have no idea what her stats were, I wish I did! I feel like even 1 year of at least a 3.8 GPA would be enough to prove you can handle dental school. I have attended dental admissions panels before and the advice I have heard is that they like to see you complete the graduate program you're in. It could vary between schools though since I know some people drop out of the masters when they get into dental school. But if you feel that you would be even more competitive by raising your GPA, then maybe consider the second year.

I actually just got off the phone with the admissions chair in AZ- she said that the first year is the year where you can raise your sciGPA, the second year of the MBS program is all research which is pass/fail, so your GPA isn't affected. Rethinking my options, might stick to the MABS then.

Reactions: 1 users
I know this might be a little too late to help the OP, but I finished the 2 yr program at AZ. 7/8 of those who graduated got in the dental program. I think only 2 or 3 of the 1 yr graduates got rejected. But again, out of those who started each program, roughly only 66% graduate