Midwestern CPG, AZ c/o 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if cabs are that expensive, then I guess i'll rent a car. If you use the corporate code that Midwestern gives for enterprise rent-a-car the grand total (including all the taxes and fees) it comes out to be $50. You could try other places but they usually tack on hefty fees for young drivers between 21-24. It seems that the corporate code waives the young driver fee. Of course if you under 21, that just sucks, no drinking or driving (separately) for you.

I'm sure Phoenix is a lot safer than the places I've lived, but I still feel wary taking public transportation/wandering around at night.

Unfortunately, my schedule works out so that I won't be in Az for more than 24 hours, but I would love suggestions on local places to grab a snack/small bite the night before (i've never been to the southwest before and love trying new things:)).

Ohhh yeah, I forgot about the young driver fees. Mine was waived due to my military affiliation, but you're right, they're usually an additional $20 or so.

Members don't see this ad.

if cabs are that expensive, then I guess i'll rent a car. If you use the corporate code that Midwestern gives for enterprise rent-a-car the grand total (including all the taxes and fees) it comes out to be $50. You could try other places but they usually tack on hefty fees for young drivers between 21-24. It seems that the corporate code waives the young driver fee. Of course if you under 21, that just sucks, no drinking or driving (separately) for you.

I'm sure Phoenix is a lot safer than the places I've lived, but I still feel wary taking public transportation/wandering around at night.

Unfortunately, my schedule works out so that I won't be in Az for more than 24 hours, but I would love suggestions on local places to grab a snack/small bite the night before (i've never been to the southwest before and love trying new things:)).

Good idea. Does this mean you have never tried real Mexican food? Hehe

Good idea. Does this mean you have never tried real Mexican food? Hehe

unfortunately no. well once i had tamale made by a distant relatives mexican wife....and i have been craving one ever since!

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll have to call one. But, you can have them meet you at a specific time. I think they usually need like a 15 min window for dispatch depending on the time of the day. Discount Cab is pretty good about that. But, if you're gonna grab something along the rail route to eat, there are a number of restaurants I could tell you about. Or coffee. The truth is, Phoenix is a city in which you need a car. If you can get a good deal, you should drop the cash to have a car for a day. Then you can go to the really good places ;)

Well my flight gets in pretty late. I think I might just go to the end of the line and call a cab, but thanks though.

I would feel so much better with a car, but I'm just going in for the interview and then leaving. I'm trying to save money, it's so expensive applying and then flying out everywhere.

unfortunately no. well once i had tamale made by a distant relatives mexican wife....and i have been craving one ever since!

What time and days will you be here? I will point you in the right direction :cool: Don't fall for the Americanized/Gringo type Mexican food. If you are not opposed to going into the ghetto, I can tell you where they have the best beans and the best tortillas- you know, the REAL deal :D

Well my flight gets in pretty late. I think I might just go to the end of the line and call a cab, but thanks though.

I would feel so much better with a car, but I'm just going in for the interview and then leaving. I'm trying to save money, it's so expensive applying and then flying out everywhere.

http://phoenix.about.com/od/transair/qt/skyharbormetro.htm

http://www.valleymetro.org/schedules_and_maps/index?service=3318&sort=

There is a shuttle from the terminal to the light rail stop at 44th st and Washington. It will take you approx. 45 minutes from the Airport to the very end of line where you can have a cab waiting for you. What time does your flight get in? There is some late night food available along the rail route that I could tell you about. The food at the hotel is probably gonna suck.

What time and days will you be here? I will point you in the right direction :cool: Don't fall for the Americanized/Gringo type Mexican food. If you are not opposed to going into the ghetto, I can tell you where they have the best beans and the best tortillas- you know, the REAL deal :D

There is a shuttle from the terminal to the light rail stop at 44th st and Washington. It will take you approx. 45 minutes from the Airport to the very end of line where you can have a cab waiting for you. What time does your flight get in? There is some late night food available along the rail route that I could tell you about. The food at the hotel is probably gonna suck.

Wow, you actually taught me something new as well with this post! I didn't know there was a shuttle from the lightrail to the airport. I'm sooo going to use it this Thursday...do you know if the shuttle is free? I have a lightrail pass through ASU so that won't cost me, but will just the shuttle have a fee? And does the shuttle drop you off at the terminal of your choice?
I'm sure I could look all this stuff up, but you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the whole thing so I thought I'd ask you first! Thanks girl :)

Wow, you actually taught me something new as well with this post! I didn't know there was a shuttle from the lightrail to the airport. I'm sooo going to use it this Thursday...do you know if the shuttle is free? I have a lightrail pass through ASU so that won't cost me, but will just the shuttle have a fee? And does the shuttle drop you off at the terminal of your choice?
I'm sure I could look all this stuff up, but you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the whole thing so I thought I'd ask you first! Thanks girl :)

It is free.

EDIT: I guess they have multiple shuttles that just go through and stop at each terminal. When you get to that rail stop, they are waiting by it. I think they leave every few minutes during peak times.

What time and days will you be here? I will point you in the right direction :cool: Don't fall for the Americanized/Gringo type Mexican food. If you are not opposed to going into the ghetto, I can tell you where they have the best beans and the best tortillas- you know, the REAL deal

haha as long as i dont get mugged, i think i'll be fine. i'm from new orleans..where everywhere is the ghetto. but by the time i check into the hotel it'll probably be around 8:30/9pm (Tuesday)

Wow 45 min? I think I might just take a taxi from the airport then. My flight gets in at 10pm if it's on time :(

Wow 45 min? I think I might just take a taxi from the airport then. My flight gets in at 10pm if it's on time :(

That's stinky you're getting in so late. It's obviously up to you...I would probably just suck it up and pay for a cab at that hour as well. Because I would already be super tired and not in the mood to take a shuttle to the light rail, sit on the light rail for a while, then finally take a cab to the hotel (which will take another 15 minutes most likely).
I have a guy that offers Sedan Service to and from the airport who is cheaper than taxis usually and you don't need to tip him because it's his own sedan. I could see how much he would charge if you let me know what hotel you will be staying at.
I know he charges me $40 from where I live to the airport which is about a 30 minute drive depending on traffic. Going to the area around where Midwestern is only about 5 more minutes.
Let me know :)

Ouch. 10pm is harsh.

You could try super shuttle http://www.supershuttle.com/

I just put in the zip code of the school and from the airport it would cost you $28.00 one way. It picks you up right at the terminal. But honestly, if you are going to spend 28 there and 28 back (or even the 50 for a cab each way) why not just get a car??? Seriously. They might pro rate it if you are going to have it less than a day.

Ouch. 10pm is harsh.

You could try super shuttle http://www.supershuttle.com/

I just put in the zip code of the school and from the airport it would cost you $28.00 one way. It picks you up right at the terminal. But honestly, if you are going to spend 28 there and 28 back (or even the 50 for a cab each way) why not just get a car??? Seriously. They might pro rate it if you are going to have it less than a day.

:laugh:

JaySid, at least you know you have options!!!

LOL, I know right? Haha, well I think I might try for a car then. I can see tomorrow. I just don't want to get lost lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL, I know right? Haha, well I think I might try for a car then. I can see tomorrow. I just don't want to get lost lol.

If it's not too late, you could borrow a GPS device from somebody. I'm sure a friend won't need it for the next several days. Unless of course you have one of those newfangled smartphones.

If you do rent a car, as I mentioned before use the code that's on the link in the invitation confirmation email. $50/day. The only thing i'm worried about is the pain in the ass of the paperwork/how long that would take.

Good luck!

Phx is one giant grid. It is almost impossible to get lost ;)

It really is! I love the grid system here. In HI, everything is twisty and turny.. and nobody can give directions because of the complicated hawaiian street names. I feel so bad for tourists lol. But AZ is definitely easy to navigate. :rolleyes:

It really is! I love the grid system here. In HI, everything is twisty and turny.. and nobody can give directions because of the complicated hawaiian street names. I feel so bad for tourists lol. But AZ is definitely easy to navigate. :rolleyes:

I've only been to Oahu but omg, yes super confusing! But I'm still in sweet sweet love with Hawaii. Oh, how I miss!!!

On another note, Nina, how bad does this waiting suck?!?

Hey everyone thanks for the suggestions. I think that I will just catch a cab there since it will be so late and that would be the fastest way to get me to the hotel.

I've only been to Oahu but omg, yes super confusing! But I'm still in sweet sweet love with Hawaii. Oh, how I miss!!!

On another note, Nina, how bad does this waiting suck?!?

It totally sucks!! Hopefully we'll hear from them asap. :xf: Just one more week! (hopefully)

It totally sucks!! Hopefully we'll hear from them asap. :xf: Just one more week! (hopefully)

Yeah, I really didn't think it was going to take the 2-3 weeks that they said it would but apparently I was mistaken! Ha...it will be 2 weeks for the October 1st interviewees this Friday, so we'll see if they hear anything by then. I just can't see them waiting until after the next set of interviews next week to make a decision on the first round...but I suppose they could...ohhh boyyy the days are going by sooo sloowwwwww...

I'm in! I got the phone call not 2 mins ago... omg i cant even type, this is frigging AMAZING!!! =D x 1000

Awesome!!! Congrats to both of you. Hopefully I'll be seeing both of you next year! I just hope my interview goes smoothly, but once again, congratulations WannaB and Mandy!!!

Thanks guys! Yeah, about a week and a half. I interviewed on Oct. 1st... I think it was shorter for Mandy...

Congrats you guys!!!

Did anyone receive an email if they weren't accepted?

I got the call as well! I was at work though and didnt hear the phone, but I got a very nice voicemail.

and yea it was just a phone call and my portal was updated, no email.

yay, im happy for you guys!

I have a question: I have not e-submitted my pharmCAS application and I am planning to e-submit it tomorrow. Is it too late for me to e-submit the application, since I still have to wait for an email for the supplemental application?

I am applying for Midwestern and USN.

yay, im happy for you guys!

I have a question: I have not e-submitted my pharmCAS application and I am planning to e-submit it tomorrow. Is it too late for me to e-submit the application, since I still have to wait for an email for the supplemental application?

I am applying for Midwestern and USN.

MWU admissions has a pretty quick response....so hopefully you'll get the supplemental application soon. I got mine in about a week or so and after I submitted my supps, got an interview invite in 4 days.

Congrats everyone who got their acceptance phone calls! :thumbup:

Omigosh I'm so bummed...! I haven't gotten a call yet. The anticipation is killing me!! I'm gonna be so sad if I don't get in... :(

I know many people are and/or will be curious to know the stats of those who have been accepted, so if you were accepted, please share your stats!

Mine:
cGPA: 3.8
sGPA:4.0
PCAT: 71 composite
1.5 years hospital pharmacy tech
LORs: one from a PharmD at work, one from my past supervisor in the Navy, and one from my chemistry professor
ECs: volunteered as a GED tutor at a youth services organization...and a couple other small things

Was Midwestern your top choice? Congrats to you too!!! Unbelievable!!!

Yes, it was DEFINITELY my top choice! I got accepted to Shenandoah earlier today and I was soooo hoping that Glendale got back as soon as they did so I wouldn't have to submit a deposit... and now I get to cancel my interview to Mercer and put the flight/hotel $$$ to the deposit, yay! Everything's falling into place... *rubs hands together* :D

Congratulations everyone who got in!. I have my interview Oct 22nd. I'm super nervous right now. I'm a nontraditional applicant with a B.S. in Economics and Pharmacy shadowing experience (Retail+ Clinical). I have two LORs, one form the Physic's Department Head of my university and my Organic Chem Prof. I'm just hopping its good enough to make it in...

Congratulations everyone who got in!. I have my interview Oct 22nd. I'm super nervous right now. I'm a nontraditional applicant with a B.S. in Economics and Pharmacy shadowing experience (Retail+ Clinical). I have two LORs, one form the Physic's Department Head of my university and my Organic Chem Prof. I'm just hopping its good enough to make it in...

I have my interview on the 22nd also! good luck :)

congrats to all! Haha waiting is nerve-racking especially since my interview isn't for another month. After I made my plans, I discovered that you could transfer deposits between the two MWUs (on an old post in sdn) so there was no real need for my interviews to be close together. oh well, too late now, it's probably for the best.

congrats to all! Haha waiting is nerve-racking especially since my interview isn't for another month. After I made my plans, I discovered that you could transfer deposits between the two MWUs (on an old post in sdn) so there was no real need for my interviews to be close together. oh well, too late now, it's probably for the best.

Isn't there a reschedule button on the scheduling page??

Hey guys,

For the people who got accepted, did you guys get accepted to Midwestern in Illinois or Arizona? I got a bit confused.

I interviewed at Midwestern Illinois (sept 29), and I haven't heard anything from them, so I suppose I didn't get accepted :(

Thanks for your replies!

Hey guys,

For the people who got accepted, did you guys get accepted to Midwestern in Illinois or Arizona? I got a bit confused.

I interviewed at Midwestern Illinois (sept 29), and I haven't heard anything from them, so I suppose I didn't get accepted :(

Thanks for your replies!

Well, this is the Arizona thread, not the Illinois thread. Perhaps you should ask the folks in that thread about their status?