This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjuniper42

Reaction score
After looking through nearly every mention of the Clinical Psychology PsyD program at Midwestern U in Arizona in the SDN, I have a question--is the program still poorly regarded? I've been accepted to the school and want to make sure I'm making an informed decision.

Their cohort size is ~23, which is high, but not near schools like Pacific, Wright Institute, Argosy, or Alliant. Their APA internship match rate is 88%, attrition was 0 last year, and licensure percentage is 85%.

I realize that these stats aren't on par with the top programs in the country, so my question is--would I be better off just re-applying next year if I don't get in anywhere else? I am not sure why it's lumped in with other for-profit schools with much larger cohorts and lower stats, but perhaps I'm missing something obvious here. I am well informed about the financial aspects of the PsyD degree in general, including opportunities for funding within the program. The last valuable thread I found was from 2013, and it looks like a lot has changed since that time.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd want to see the match rate stabilize. They only have 2 years of good match data. It's still not a well regarded program in my book. They have a neuropsychology "specialization," but I've yet to see a good application from this specialization area.

Reactions: 1 users
I would also like some info about this program if anyone has any.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t looked at their data recently, but traditionally they have had a very poor reputation.

I have reviewed a handful of apps from their students over the years and they were not remotely competitive for the positions we (or I) were filling. Neuropsychologist, Rehabilitation Psychologist, and Generalist (100% treatment) were the positions.

My rule of thumb is to avoid institutions that have a different location than their name.

Reactions: 4 users
I haven’t looked at their data recently, but traditionally they have had a very poor reputation.

I have reviewed a handful of apps from their students over the years and they were not remotely competitive for the positions we (or I) were filling. Neuropsychologist, Rehabilitation Psychologist, and Generalist (100% treatment) were the positions.

As opposed to schools like Alliant, would you consider it to be better or on the same level? Their APA match rate doesn't seem bad.

As opposed to schools like Alliant, would you consider it to be better or on the same level? Their APA match rate doesn't seem bad.
Same level.

I’ve seen such a wide variance in training across the field that it’s made me much more conservative in who i’d consider for a job now. I’m now in full-time private practice, so anyone I hire directly impacts my bottom line and i’m not willing to roll the dice on someone when I can go through colleagues and trusted programs that can vouch for an applicant.

Same level.

I’ve seen such a wide variance in training across the field that it’s made me much more conservative in who i’d consider for a job now. I’m now in full-time private practice, so anyone I hire directly impacts my bottom line and i’m not willing to roll the dice on someone when I can go through colleagues and trusted programs that can vouch for an applicant.

What about Mercer?

Were the apps you reviewed from the Downer's Grove or the Glendale location? Or does that even matter? Their current stats (in Glendale) are comparable to the higher ranked programs I applied to.