Midwestern - Post Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a matter of fact, I just received the call today from Dr. Polk!!! I'm in! SO EXCITED RIGHT NOW!!! I guess we'll be seeing you this fall! WOOHOO! :D

congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you. I'm also on the alternate list and keeping my fingers crossed. Midwestern was my only interview this year so...I'm going to pray and hope for the best

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to AZDENT! Hope to see you there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today I heard from a faculty there were 95 deposits, and that they were meeting today to decide on the remaining 5. I didn't know what she meant by meaning the remaining 5, since that would mean the class would be only 100 people, and not 110 people.

Thats all I heard today while in sim lab.

Congrats AzDent!! See u next year!!!

Maybe it was the last five people to be interviewed who had yet to be considered by the adcom

Congratz AZDent on the acceptance. when did you find out you was wait listed AZDent? I thought they had 2 more days of interviewing this week? Are they offering acceptance to people off the wait list now?

Thank you! I found out I was waitlisted about two weeks after my interview. My interview was on Feb 4th. I can only assume they are beginning to give offers to waitlisters now even though they have interviews left, but Oracle would be a better source. Good luck to you!!:luck:

Congrats to those who got in.... I, on the other hand did not, so I'm going to re-apply after a Masters.

I was looking at getting a new laptop prior to school starting, so I contacted MWU to see what their requirements/recommendations were. The reply was that we will be purchasing a laptop through the school, and we'll find out more info. closer to orientation. Glad I asked before I shopped!

I was looking at getting a new laptop prior to school starting, so I contacted MWU to see what their requirements/recommendations were. The reply was that we will be purchasing a laptop through the school, and we'll find out more info. closer to orientation. Glad I asked before I shopped!

haha that sounds awesome, congrats on getting into midwestern! I'm on the same boat as about 200 other people...just waiting for the phone call...

i am so glad you are posting this..i was almost ready to buy a laptop. Why thru school though? weird

Hey Oracle, I just interviewed yesterday with Dr. Polk. He mentioned at the end that I should be very happy about my interview. Obviously, that's a good thing, but have you or your classmates heard that before and do you think that is grounds to assume the best?? lol...(just say yes...jk) :) I sure hope so...I thought the interview went VERY well.

What kind of Questions did they ask you at the interview there? I've heard some really funny questions...it's like a geography quiz. Asking for names of places in Europe. I'm prepping for an interview and just want to see what questions they asked.

Thanks for the help,
MmT

What kind of Questions did they ask you at the interview there? I've heard some really funny questions...it's like a geography quiz. Asking for names of places in Europe. I'm prepping for an interview and just want to see what questions they asked.

Thanks for the help,
MmT

I thought Midwestern were done with interviews?? guess not????

Members don't see this ad :)

I called earlier this week to check on my application/update some things and found out that they're still interviewing until March 24th... Hopefull we all hear some good news soon!:xf: Good Luck! :)

Thanks for the help,
MmT

be ready for the big 3: why here, why you, why dentistry. other than that, do your homework, big mistake = asking questions you could've found out by checkin out the website. be prepared not rehearsed. also be honest and not fake, the interviewers can sniff out BS in a heartbeat. good luck and enjoy the interview experience!

i am so glad you are posting this..i was almost ready to buy a laptop. Why thru school though? weird

When I talked with Dr. Simonsen he said that the first year dental students this year had problems because of the variety of laptops and their specs...He said he was going to fix this by having a standard laptop...We will be using anatomy programs that some laptops have problems keeping up with

When I talked with Dr. Simonsen he said that the first year dental students this year had problems because of the variety of laptops and their specs...He said he was going to fix this by having a standard laptop...We will be using anatomy programs that some laptops have problems keeping up with

Thank you, pickens.:)

Oracle DMD, what type of laptop do you think the school will ask us to purchase?

I called earlier this week to check on my application/update some things and found out that they're still interviewing until March 24th... Hopefull we all hear some good news soon!:xf: Good Luck! :)

I wonder why they are interviewing until the 24th? Have they extended the interview period? I think that they have filled most of their seats, and there are 180 on the alternate list. Maybe they expect a low matriculation of depositors?

haha yes for Macbooks! I haven't heard of many schools that treat Apple as the standard but Midwestern seems like the smart one!

haha yes for Macbooks! I haven't heard of many schools that treat Apple as the standard but Midwestern seems like the smart one!

when i see dr. simonsen or dr. gilpatrick on monday i'll ask what the plan is and try to relay that back to yall. see ya in the fall!

I'll find out but i hope its a macbook. half of the students are on mac and ALL of our faculty.

man...i hate mac lol. pc ftw!! i really hope mwu doesn't make all of us buy a mac. if they do i will surely petition...i'm sure any new comp.(with at least intel core2duo) u buy now will work with the dental programs.

don't be afraid of it! embrace your inner mac! haha we have this debate all the time with each other here. you ever notice that PCs ALWAYS have to be by an outlet? why is that? haha and then a huge fan kicks on and blows out volcano air. maybe people have crappy PCs....but maybe PCs are just cappy.

don't be afraid of it! embrace your inner mac! haha we have this debate all the time with each other here. you ever notice that PCs ALWAYS have to be by an outlet? why is that? haha and then a huge fan kicks on and blows out volcano air. maybe people have crappy PCs....but maybe PCs are just cappy.

Maybe you're crappy Oracle. Good luck on tomorrows exam, may the force be with you.

no way dude. if there is EVER any students with problems ... they have PCs. Minh had to use my macbook to take the quiz in the simlab 'cause his PC was being a PC. luckily my macbook knew all the answers!

Your computer needs to meet certain specs to accommodate the software they will have you buy to load onto your computer. They probably don't want you to buy something incapable of running their software. They may also have set up a discount with a certain manufacturer to help with costs. From people I know the requirements to run the programs were not that extensive but I would wait to see if you can't get some sweet student discount. I am pretty sure when he was at ASDO they had on specific type of laptop that everyone had and like mentioned above, standardizing would be most efficient in terms of technical problems.

I just don't like how you spend $2K for a mac with the specs of a $500 PC...

Your computer needs to meet certain specs to accommodate the software they will have you buy to load onto your computer. They probably don't want you to buy something incapable of running their software. They may also have set up a discount with a certain manufacturer to help with costs. From people I know the requirements to run the programs were not that extensive but I would wait to see if you can't get some sweet student discount. I am pretty sure when he was at ASDO they had on specific type of laptop that everyone had and like mentioned above, standardizing would be most efficient in terms of technical problems.

if we have to buy the laptop through the school, it's going to be expensive...period...even with the discount. the avg. laptop price for dental school that requires us to purchase through them is probably 2k...it's ridiculous. ppl complain all the time at these schools because u could always buy the laptop(with the specified req.) on ur own for about 1/2 the price...that's why some schools abandoned it, some still didn't.

for example, i heard ucla's laptop is 2k, and being at the unlv interview myself, their required laptop is also 2k...i mean come on...oracle tell mwu not to do it...

if we have to buy the laptop through the school, it's going to be expensive...period...even with the discount. the avg. laptop price for dental school that requires us to purchase through them is probably 2k...it's ridiculous. ppl complain all the time at these schools because u could always buy the laptop(with the specified req.) on ur own for about 1/2 the price...that's why some schools abandoned it, some still didn't.

for example, i heard ucla's laptop is 2k, and being at the unlv interview myself, their required laptop is also 2k...i mean come on...oracle tell mwu not to do it...

Damn. I didn't know that. Is it actually required that you have a specific one or just heavily encouraged? I think the first class just had to meet certain specs.

anyone have info for us waitlisted peeps?
should we expect to hear anything or move on with our lives?

hey guys! just to let you know, you'll be getting a dell (booooooo!) next year. but it'll come preloaded w/ all your dental software which is nice. it wasn't dr. simonsen's call but on the bright side it'll save you some $$$ and the software (tooth atlas and TMJ atlas etc.) will be included in the price which will save a couple hundred bucks as well.

hey guys! just to let you know, you'll be getting a dell (booooooo!) next year. but it'll come preloaded w/ all your dental software which is nice. it wasn't dr. simonsen's call but on the bright side it'll save you some $$$ and the software (tooth atlas and TMJ atlas etc.) will be included in the price which will save a couple hundred bucks as well.

YES!! that pretty much means it will at least be a PC!! PC FTW!! haha...

What if you want a MAC, can you still buy your own, or do they frce you to buy a PC? I hate PC's. With Leopard you can run windows on a MAC anyway.

Thanks Oracle! As always, your research is greatly appreciated.

Nope. Pray for me! It's my only interview this year and I'm really hoping to get in.

Thanks, Oracle..you are the best!

yo! just spoke w/ admissions and there are 100 deposits in and interviews are over this week so start keeping biweekly or so contact w/ the school as the waitlist starts moving around! you can speak w/ Bea for now as they haven't filled heather kim's position yet, or (for bolder or more risk taking people) you can contact jim walters the director of admissions.

remember guys and girls....100 deposits does NOT mean 100 matriculating students. there will be shifting all summer as some kids get into state schools or their top choice school or whatever so there WILL BE MOVEMENT! be patient, and hang in there!

while you guys are waiting, dont forget to reapply in june and in the meantime maybe take a summer science class to up your gpa or study for the DAT and take it august 1st so you can call and update MWU w/ your new score right before they start inviting the 1st round interviews. if you get in this cycle..no harm no foul....if you don't and are not planning ahead you could find yourself behind the power curve for next cycle and put yourself at a disadvantage.

good luck everyone and let me know if i can help you at some point!

So if I call what exactly should I say? Ask about my status? Which is probably still on the alternate list. I don't know what else to say. Should I tell her about how much I like Midwestern and how much I want to be apart of the dental program? (and I actually do). I'm not sure if that would make her feel like I'm wasting her time during this busy part of the cycle. I've already graduated last semester and I'm just taking microbiology and genetics this semester while I work.

So if I call what exactly should I say? Ask about my status? Which is probably still on the alternate list. I don't know what else to say. Should I tell her about how much I like Midwestern and how much I want to be apart of the dental program? (and I actually do). I'm not sure if that would make her feel like I'm wasting her time during this busy part of the cycle. I've already graduated last semester and I'm just taking microbiology and genetics this semester while I work.

Usually the best thing to say when calling is to update regarding something (ie: new grades, research, etc). The only thing I think you can do at this point is just call and check on ur status (even if it is on the alternate list).

The whole thing about how much you like MWU and want to be a part of the dental program, I don't know how much that will help, since 150 or so others on the waitlist probably could say the same thing.

Heres also something to keep in mind when calling admissions. When I went on interviews at other dental schools, most dental schools had their own admissions office and staff, that ONLY dealt with dental applicants. Here at MWU, we have a DO, Pharmacy, Dental and now Optometry which use the same exact admissions office and staff. Thats why when u call the admissions office, they ask u "wat program r u in?". So the people that work there probably don't have that much say. Now if you call the dental faculty thats on the admissions comittee thats a different story. Just something to keep in mind I think.

Also another thing for people on the waitlist till June, or anybody applying for the upcoming cycle. MWU is having a 2-3 day sim clinic workshop this June. The dental faculty on the admissions committee will be there, as well as our Dean, so it might be worth a trip to attend.

Oracle or DentalStar...did u or do u know ppl in ur class that got grants from mwu? cuz it says to fill out the finaid application for grants and loans, but when i emailed mwu, they said they don't give out grants, only loans? weird...

is it not like undergraduate where the university gives u grants and loans, and u could pick which one u want? Thanks.

it's not all about expressing your desire or constant status updates....it's about asking thoughtful questions that require some insight! for example, what additions to the faculty are expected to take place soon? what specialties are represented on staff (endodontist? periodontist? oral path? pedo?) will dental implants be taught and at what level and what year? is there finish date on the clinic? will there be cadcam technology implemented or E4D? digital impressions? what kind of input do students have in the hiring of new faculty? (we do have some!) will dschool year be differentiated by color of scrubs? ... i mean anything that the secretaries might not be able to answer will end up in you get passed up the chain to possibly the dean who might have to call you back but that might be better because then he has to stare at your name and number which will help him remember you.

Oracle or DentalStar...did u or do u know ppl in ur class that got grants from mwu? cuz it says to fill out the finaid application for grants and loans, but when i emailed mwu, they said they don't give out grants, only loans? weird...

is it not like undergraduate where the university gives u grants and loans, and u could pick which one u want? Thanks.

loans and finiancial aid is kinda personal so i wouldn't know about many other people's financial situation but i know that there is a work study program here as well as grants/ scholarships not thru the university but we get emails about them now and again from the university. some people have parents that pay for their education in cash and some people are almost completely subsidized by state and federal aid. me myself, i took out the max loan like many other students and i'm living well! one plus to huge loans is that you can roll some existing debt into your loan. for example i had a couple credit cards at 12-15% that i rolled into my student loan at 8% which i will turn into a 30yr fixed at 4% or so when i graduate. either way my credit gets better, frees up my monthly cash flow, and pays off my wife's new car.

One of my friends (she interviewed in February) was called today with news of acceptance, but she already has a deposit down at Tufts, so she's probably gonna go there. As Oracle has said, be patient, the waitlist is moving!

One of my friends (she interviewed in February) was called today with news of acceptance, but she already has a deposit down at Tufts, so she's probably gonna go there. As Oracle has said, be patient, the waitlist is moving!

wow congrats to your friend! I'm desperately waiting for a phone call :( Every time I see an unknown number on my cellphone, my heart stops...
sadly, most of the time its about factory car insurance or some type of loan offer... Cruel don't you think? haha

wow congrats to your friend! I'm desperately waiting for a phone call :( Every time I see an unknown number on my cellphone, my heart stops...
sadly, most of the time its about factory car insurance or some type of loan offer... Cruel don't you think? haha

I know!!! Everytime I get a phone call from a numbe rI dont recognize, I always get cold feet. Thinking to myself, is dental schools calling me?? So nerve wrecking!!

how many people are on the wait list now? is it 150 or 180 or over 200?