Midwestern University DVM 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also do they send an email if you are taken off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 3 users
For those who interviewed, did anyone bring a guest/parent for the tour?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't but it seemed like I was almost the only one who didn't!

I brought my dad along, and I was the only one that had a parent with me. Seems its very random haha.

Does anyone know if they take people off the waitlist in the spring?

Also do they send an email if you are taken off the waitlist?

Im assuming you're talking about the after interview waitlist? From stalking last years thread it seems that most people where notified that they where pulled off the waitlist after the April date. They also said in my letter that if I should be admitted, I would get a call and an e-mail very quickly afterwards.

Here you go--->

C/O 2021 facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/co2021/

midwestern cvm facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MWUCVM/

midwestern university page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2210588738/

Use your Facebook page to get to know your classmates, find roommates, and share information! It's a great tool to utilize! If you have any questions, feel free to fb message me, Im happy to help! :)

Just sent a request to the groups!! Thanks for setting those up. So excited for next year!!!!

Here you go--->

Use your Facebook page to get to know your classmates, find roommates, and share information! It's a great tool to utilize! If you have any questions, feel free to fb message me, Im happy to help! :)

I've been wondering about these! So excited for the fall!

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your experience =) I interviewed on January 4th, so hopefully I will still hear this week! Thank you for putting me at a bit of a peace of mind!
Did you check your spam? I also interviewed on the 4th and heard back within a few days...:unsure:

Is it even possible to get off the interview waitlist? As in, could it be a realistic expectation?

Yup! I got off the waitlist to interview on Jan 18th. So I have an interview now! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here you go--->

Emily, would you mind if I joined just to see how the incomers are doing and to help answer questions? I also love the excitement of getting in lol. I can remove myself later if needed :)

Emily, would you mind if I joined just to see how the incomers are doing and to help answer questions? I also love the excitement of getting in lol. I can remove myself later if needed :)

oh yea, whatevs, just request on the page! ;)

I interviewed on the 18th, has anyone from that group or groups who interviewed around then heard back yet? I know they said it would be a few weeks, but I'm anxious/dying to go to this school and I can't stop checking my portal and email. If anyone hears I'd very much appreciate the heads up that things are moving along!

I interviewed on the 18th, has anyone from that group or groups who interviewed around then heard back yet? I know they said it would be a few weeks, but I'm anxious/dying to go to this school and I can't stop checking my portal and email. If anyone hears I'd very much appreciate the heads up that things are moving along!

I interviewed in the very beginning of January and they told me just yesterday that the committee still has not met to make decisions about my interview date. I know some people from my date got accepted just days after the interview, but the committee for my day still hasn't met to decide anything!

I interviewed in the very beginning of January and they told me just yesterday that the committee still has not met to make decisions about my interview date. I know some people from my date got accepted just days after the interview, but the committee for my day still hasn't met to decide anything!

Thanks! I guess it's more of the waiting game for all of us.

Can everyone see this on their portal prior to acceptance?? I can't remember if I was able to view this tab before my interview!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-31-18-32-23.png
    Screenshot_2017-01-31-18-32-23.png
    250.4 KB · Views: 95
Can everyone see this on their portal prior to acceptance?? I can't remember if I was able to view this tab before my interview!
If I remember correctly from last year... congrats! Being able to access the Accepted Student Checklist means you're in!

The accepted student checklist was not available before my interview. When did you interview?

I didn't receive my email and phone call until a few days after my portal change. The portal change should be correct. Congrats!
Thank you!! they told me they weren't meeting for at least 3 weeks, so I'm worried it was a mistake! My interview was less than a week ago!

I wonder if it is by interviewer and that is why it was a vague answer? I interviewed 1/25 and do not have the checklist so I'm selfishly hoping it's that! hah
It seems to be random, so I wouldn't stress! I'll let you know if I get the confirmation email and if they say anything about our interview date!

I wonder if it is by interviewer and that is why it was a vague answer? I interviewed 1/25 and do not have the checklist so I'm selfishly hoping it's that! hah
I'm the same way! I do not have a checklist and also interviewed 1/25!

Interviewed on 1/25 and got in this morning!
(Received a phone call and email)

Reactions: 7 users
I'm the same way! I do not have a checklist and also interviewed 1/25!

I actually called earlier to update a couple things and was told that they they're meeting next week and I will know by Tuesday.

Good luck! Hopefully we get some good news ☺️

I actually called earlier to update a couple things and was told that they they're meeting next week and I will know by Tuesday.

Good luck! Hopefully we get some good news ☺️

Thank you for the update. It makes waiting less daunting (well a little) to have an end date!:nailbiting:

Accepted student portal finally changed... accepted! Looking forward to the official acceptance soon =) So excited!!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted student portal finally changed... accepted! Looking forward to the official acceptance soon =) So excited!!
Congratulations! I know you've been waiting since the beginning of the January when you interviewed!!

I emailed today about a credit that hadn't been entered and they told me I was on the alternate list I'm sure they will be telling more people soon

I emailed today about a credit that hadn't been entered and they told me I was on the alternate list I'm sure they will be telling more people soon
I was also placed on the alternate list. o_O

Does anyone know if Midwestern does a ranking list for alternates or if they will give you an idea of your chances of getting off the list?

Does anyone know if Midwestern does a ranking list for alternates or if they will give you an idea of your chances of getting off the list?

During my interview day we were told there is no ranking, but every time they meet your file gets put back into the pool for consideration so I don't think they can comment on your chances :/ According to last years thread the wait list looks like it moves a lot!

During my interview day we were told there is no ranking, but every time they meet your file gets put back into the pool for consideration so I don't think they can comment on your chances :/ According to last years thread the wait list looks like it moves a lot!
I hope it will this year as well! I wonder how many people are on the alternate list? Do they decline anyone after interviews or is everyone who didnt get accepted considered an alternate?

I hope it will this year as well! I wonder how many people are on the alternate list? Do they decline anyone after interviews or is everyone who didnt get accepted considered an alternate?

I have no idea! I think a lot of schools accept/wait list after an interview. All I know is that they interview 400 people and accept ~100. My speculation is that MAX 300 people could be wait listed. I'm sure you could call and they'd let you know!

I was placed on the alternate list last year. They had no rank, and to be honest I still don't understand how they went about going through the alternate pool. I can't remember exactly how many were on the alternate list last year but it was a decent amount. I received a call a week before school started that I was next on the list to be accepted had anyone chose to withdraw after the orientation... needless to say since I'm applying again no one withdrew. So keep in mind you can hear back all the way up until the first day of school and they do move through the alternate list.

It does seem like they are doing things differently this year though, I did not apply through VMCAS I applied directly to MWU, has anyone else on here done that? If so have you been told anything. All of my materials have been received and I was told to just keep checking my portal to see if I have been selected for an interview. Last year they were good about sending emails, I guess they are using the portal more proactively this year?

I was placed on the alternate list last year. They had no rank, and to be honest I still don't understand how they went about going through the alternate pool. I can't remember exactly how many were on the alternate list last year but it was a decent amount. I received a call a week before school started that I was next on the list to be accepted had anyone chose to withdraw after the orientation... needless to say since I'm applying again no one withdrew. So keep in mind you can hear back all the way up until the first day of school and they do move through the alternate list.

It does seem like they are doing things differently this year though, I did not apply through VMCAS I applied directly to MWU, has anyone else on here done that? If so have you been told anything. All of my materials have been received and I was told to just keep checking my portal to see if I have been selected for an interview. Last year they were good about sending emails, I guess they are using the portal more proactively this year?
I will definitely keep that in mind. Im sorry it didn't work out for you last year. When did you apply directly for this cycle? If you have an interview offer it will pop up under the "schedule an interview" section. You have to click on the menu and go to that link though to see it. It is not available on the screen that shows up when you initially sign in. (Just incase you didn't already know that.) :)

Any current students- can you share what your school schedule is like every day/week? I can't find one on the website. I was also curious about the teaching hospital. Is it currently open to the public, or are they waiting for the first graduating class to begin clinicals?

Any current students- can you share what your school schedule is like every day/week? I can't find one on the website. I was also curious about the teaching hospital. Is it currently open to the public, or are they waiting for the first graduating class to begin clinicals?
Our class schedule varies greatly! It's different every day. For winter quarter right now, most days seem to be 8-4ish. Sometimes til 5. I've attached a screenshot of our first couple of days of winter quarter to give you an idea. Some things they keep pretty consistent, like anatomy every Mon-Thurs at 1pm and lab Tues/Thurs at 2. Immuno has usually been Mon-Thurs at 10am. Other things they tend to switch around. Fridays seem to often be something PVM related, like SIMS or horse handling lab or IV catheter lab, or even just a PVM lecture.

Fall quarter was easier with more open mornings or afternoons (although they were still pretty rare) and 2 fewer classes. Spring quarter, we've been told, is also much easier than winter and the schedule seems to have more open days as well.

The teaching hospital is open to the public and students get a 20% discount. I've taken my dog a few times and they literally just let me drop her off the day of her appointment and they keep her all day until classes are done. They usually get to her when they've finished other clients or have some space.

They also encourage shadowing the teaching hospital. I haven't yet but I know plenty of people who have. I plan to over summer. I've done mobile clinic a few times and TNR though so there's opportunities all around.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170204-080215.png
    Screenshot_20170204-080215.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 83
And just to provide more info on the clinic: The clinic opened to the public in December of 2014, so it has been operating for over two years now. They want the clinic to have a large client base before ℅ 2018 gets into the clinic- which is in 30 days!! (I'm so excited to be out of the classroom and in the clinic.)

In addition to primary care visits, we offer specialty services such as surgery, internal medicine, oncology, physical therapy and we have a part time radiologist and cardiologist. Also starting this year we now offer urgent care so the clinic is open until 1 am.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

I will definitely keep that in mind. Im sorry it didn't work out for you last year. When did you apply directly for this cycle? If you have an interview offer it will pop up under the "schedule an interview" section. You have to click on the menu and go to that link though to see it. It is not available on the screen that shows up when you initially sign in. (Just incase you didn't already know that.) :)
It's ok everything happens for a reason is my motto. I've had a lot going on so I didn't get it in exactly when I wanted I turned in the actual application a couple weeks ago and then all my LORs last week, so I know I should prob be patient haha.

I declined my acceptance today so I hope one of you gets pulled off the wait list :)

Reactions: 4 users