Midwestern University DVM 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just felt like if midwestern actually wanted me! I kind of got a weird feeling from western when they sent out a video a week before applicants were accepted/denied and basically told us that the interviewed applicants were referred to by number and the only information they could see was gender, race, and "background" and of course whatever was in your application. To me, it felt like they could care less about what I've done to get myself to where I am today and more about how "diverse" I am!

I'm a firm believer in what is meant to be is meant to be, so midwestern accepting me right off the bat felt like the best option for me after getting waitlisted at the other school where I kinda had a weird feeling about after that video!

Yeah. That video I've heard about. I'm not surprised by it either. I've heard western is like that..

Congrats to you! All the best.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Still waitlisted :( looks like I'll be told something in May-June. Lol

Same, I keep refreshing my e mail and checking my phone for any sort of contact. People who got in but don't want to go,can you give up your seats for us haha ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Midwestern is my last hope for vet school this year. I'm hoping and praying for a miracle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I have your seat haha :drowning: I keep updating my application with them in hopes of making it show that I REALLY want to go there.
Same boat! Haha MWU is my 1st choice school! Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us!

I just withdrew my application from alternate status at Midwestern. Hopefully this will give another alternate a better chance to be accepted :) GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone! After stalking all the c/o 2021 boards for all the schools I applied to I guess it's finally about time I post something :p I interviewed at Midwestern back in early Nov and received my acceptance on the 29th!! Midwestern is one of my top 2 and I'm just wondering how everyone feels about the accreditation not taking place until 2017-2018 mostly in terms of not knowing what fourth year is going to be like/how clinicals are going to go.

I'm absolutely in love with MWU and will most likely commit but just curious to see what everyone else thinks. I was very impressed with their program and don't have huge doubts but it's definitely a little scary not knowing!

Congrats to everyone else who got accepted/interviews and good luck to those who are waiting :)

Reactions: 3 users
I'm just wondering how everyone feels about the accreditation not taking place until 2017-2018 mostly in terms of not knowing what fourth year is going to be like/how clinicals are going to go.

In my opinion, accreditation is a non-issue. We are *basically* guaranteed accreditation as soon as the first class graduates. This is my opinion and the opinion of many of my collegues as far as I know, but we have the highest level of "pre accreditation" possible until the first class graduates!

I'm not 100% sure about the clinicals, but all of my third year friends are getting their ducks in a row for rotations and are basically going wherever they want. I'm not the best person to ask about though since I'm only a first year!

Speaking of accreditation... I was looking into grants/scholarships and most of them say that the college has to be accredited. Does that mean that we can't get any scholarships or grants until 2018?! :nailbiting:

Speaking of accreditation... I was looking into grants/scholarships and most of them say that the college has to be accredited. Does that mean that we can't get any scholarships or grants until 2018?! :nailbiting:

No. Provisional accreditation still counts for scholarships, grants, etc. We get emails for them all of the time :)

I'm a third year at Midwestern and have been awarded numerous scholarships as well as my fellow classmates!

Hey everyone! After stalking all the c/o 2021 boards for all the schools I applied to I guess it's finally about time I post something :p I interviewed at Midwestern back in early Nov and received my acceptance on the 29th!! Midwestern is one of my top 2 and I'm just wondering how everyone feels about the accreditation not taking place until 2017-2018 mostly in terms of not knowing what fourth year is going to be like/how clinicals are going to go.

I'm absolutely in love with MWU and will most likely commit but just curious to see what everyone else thinks. I was very impressed with their program and don't have huge doubts but it's definitely a little scary not knowing!

Congrats to everyone else who got accepted/interviews and good luck to those who are waiting :)
First congrats on the acceptance!! Like @hazelmoo said accreditation is not really a problem/ shouldn't be a reason to rule MWU out. We are constantly being evaluated by the AVMA and are meeting or exceeding the criteria, and when things need adjustments MWU makes them. MWU has been around since the early 1900s and they know how to take care of their medical programs- they really mean business when they commit to something! So anyone who gets accepted while we have provisional accreditation (the highest we can be before the first graduating class) is graduating from an accredited veterinary school.

And as a 3rd year student myself, I can tell you I am super excited for clinics in less than 3 months and I know it is going to get better every year. I love that I get to spend more than half of my time in the beautiful small animal clinic but the other half I get to travel to other veterinary schools as well as local specialty practices that I might want to work at one day. Feel free to ask us any other questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi have a quick question about admissions to Midwestern - does anyone know if the 3/1/2017 application deadline is for Fall 2017 admission? Or is that deadline for next Fall....?
I know this school has rolling admissions but I didn't see anything specific on their website.
Thanks!

Hi have a quick question about admissions to Midwestern - does anyone know if the 3/1/2017 application deadline is for Fall 2017 admission? Or is that deadline for next Fall....?
I know this school has rolling admissions but I didn't see anything specific on their website.
Thanks!

I believe that is still for the Fall 2017 entering class. Someone can correct me though if I'm wrong..

Anyone else still waitlisted for an interview? Have you heard anything lately from the school?

I have an interview tomorrow any advice or anyone wanna meet up lol

I have an interview tomorrow any advice or anyone wanna meet up lol
I kind of suck at giving advice but try not to stress. They try to make it as comfortable as possible for everyone and that really helped me to feel at ease. Make sure you read up on possible questions. After talking with other students, each pair of interviewers asked different questions. Mine asked about who (alive or not) I'd want to have dinner with and why. They also asked a couple ethics questions so be confident on those. They don't have your application in front of them so they don't know your GPA or scores or anything, they want to get to know YOU.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
If you're on the interview waitlist, you're not likely to hear until closer to April 15th, I'm afraid. My understanding is that those on the interview waitlist are gradually picked off for interviews if MWU has made it through all of the accepted and post-interview alternates but still has vacancies in the class. @hazelmoo could probably confirm this for you.
Is it even possible to get off the interview waitlist? As in, could it be a realistic expectation?

Is it even possible to get off the interview waitlist? As in, could it be a realistic expectation?

Yup! I was waitlisted for an interview early in last years cycle and was notified to schedule an interview in mid February. Don't give up hope!

Got accepted pretty quickly. I found out 2 days after

Yup! I was waitlisted for an interview early in last years cycle and was notified to schedule an interview in mid February. Don't give up hope!
holy crap - super encouraging! THX!

I'm starting to prepare for (and panic about) my interview, so I was hoping I could get some more details from anyone! I know there's a panel of two interviewers, a tour, and a lunch. I was wondering if they do the tour or the interview first. Do they try to match you with people who work in your areas of interest? Also, did they ask about any current events or research?

I'm starting to prepare for (and panic about) my interview, so I was hoping I could get some more details from anyone! I know there's a panel of two interviewers, a tour, and a lunch. I was wondering if they do the tour or the interview first. Do they try to match you with people who work in your areas of interest? Also, did they ask about any current events or research?

When is your interview?

It depends. You are split up into two groups--one group interviews while the other group tours the campus, and then you switch. So you won't know until the morning of.

My interviewers were not directly in my field of interest, so I'm not sure if they try to or not. Someone else might have had a different experience, though.

I wasn't asked about current events or research, but it sounds like the interviewers get to choose their questions from a list of predetermined ones. So each interview varies in exact questions. For instance, somewhere earlier in this thread another applicant posted all of the questions they were asked, but I didn't get any of the same questions as them. Does that make sense? Be prepared for a mix of questions--I got some behavioral ones as well as some standard interview questions.

I was really worried about my interview as well, but everyone at Midwestern was very friendly. Try your best to relax... you've got this! :)

Reactions: 4 users
I just got rejected from the IS (which I was expecting so I'm not all that upset). So now my choices are LMU, where I have been accepted and Midwestern, where I've been waitlisted. Can anyone give me advice about what to do? I'm really hoping to be pulled off the waitlist because I liked Midwestern better, but I also don't want to wait around for a school when I've already been accepted somewhere else. Opinions? My current plan is to wait until the April date and if I haven't heard from Midwestern then I'll put down the deposit for LMU and if Midwestern calls be after that I'll just forfeit the money I put down. But I also don't know how soon for each school I would need to start looking for housing, so thats a concern as well.

I just got rejected from the IS (which I was expecting so I'm not all that upset). So now my choices are LMU, where I have been accepted and Midwestern, where I've been waitlisted. Can anyone give me advice about what to do? I'm really hoping to be pulled off the waitlist because I liked Midwestern better, but I also don't want to wait around for a school when I've already been accepted somewhere else. Opinions? My current plan is to wait until the April date and if I haven't heard from Midwestern then I'll put down the deposit for LMU and if Midwestern calls be after that I'll just forfeit the money I put down. But I also don't know how soon for each school I would need to start looking for housing, so thats a concern as well.
I think that sounds reasonable. I also think that the waitlist at Midwestern will move after the April deadline as many of us will most likely choose our IS school over Midwestern. I might even wait until May or June if that was the school I was interested in. But I have a feeling the Midwestern waitlist will move more than a lot of schools (and they said something about that when I interviewed).

It depends. You are split up into two groups--one group interviews while the other group tours the campus, and then you switch. So you won't know until the morning of.

My interviewers were not directly in my field of interest, so I'm not sure if they try to or not. Someone else might have had a different experience, though.

I wasn't asked about current events or research, but it sounds like the interviewers get to choose their questions from a list of predetermined ones. So each interview varies in exact questions. For instance, somewhere earlier in this thread another applicant posted all of the questions they were asked, but I didn't get any of the same questions as them. Does that make sense? Be prepared for a mix of questions--I got some behavioral ones as well as some standard interview questions.

I was really worried about my interview as well, but everyone at Midwestern was very friendly. Try your best to relax... you've got this! :)

Thank you so much!!

Hey! I have an interview coming up on 1/25 and am planning to stay a few days after to explore and take a break from the Michigan winter. Does anyone have any suggestions for hiking trails in the area? Or anything cool to do within a 2 hour radius?

Hey! I have an interview coming up on 1/25 and am planning to stay a few days after to explore and take a break from the Michigan winter. Does anyone have any suggestions for hiking trails in the area? Or anything cool to do within a 2 hour radius?

I traveled with a friend and we went to Scottsdale for lunch, nothing super exciting but a cool area to see! Also the Grand Canyon isn't within 2 hours but it was sooo worth the drive. Also, definitely check out Sedona! It's a beautiful area and all the locals recommend it. A bit of a drive but I think it was within 2h. Lots of cute little shops and one especially cool place called Son Silver West. Perfect place for souvenirs and just so awesome to walk around!! Good luck with your interview!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I traveled with a friend and we went to Scottsdale for lunch, nothing super exciting but a cool area to see! Also the Grand Canyon isn't within 2 hours but it was sooo worth the drive. Also, definitely check out Sedona! It's a beautiful area and all the locals recommend it. A bit of a drive but I think it was within 2h. Lots of cute little shops and one especially cool place called Son Silver West. Perfect place for souvenirs and just so awesome to walk around!! Good luck with your interview!
emoji5.png

I didn't even realize that the Grand Canyon was that close! It looks like Sedona is on the way there too. That would for sure be worth it! Thank you for the recommendation!

I didn't even realize that the Grand Canyon was that close! It looks like Sedona is on the way there too. That would for sure be worth it! Thank you for the recommendation!

Yeah! We went through Sedona on the way there and also went to Oak Creek Canyon. No problem, enjoy!!

I second what @dairyqueen said! Also, if you decide to stay in the area, a popular spot to home is at Camelback mountain. There are lots of nice malls (I really like Scottsdale Fashion Square). Old town Scottsdale has lots of lunch places and all the nightlife. Westgate is in Glendale and a fun place to do lunch or drinks that's nearby. It's right by the Cardinals stadium as well as the Coyotes arena.

I second what @dairyqueen said! Also, if you decide to stay in the area, a popular spot to home is at Camelback mountain. There are lots of nice malls (I really like Scottsdale Fashion Square). Old town Scottsdale has lots of lunch places and all the nightlife. Westgate is in Glendale and a fun place to do lunch or drinks that's nearby. It's right by the Cardinals stadium as well as the Coyotes arena.

Thank you! I really want to get a good hike in so I'll be checking out Camelback for sure!

I did what you are doing and stayed a few days to explore. I went up to Sedona and did a Pink Jeep tour which was lots of fun and had dinner over there. Super cool place! I also did Scottsdale for dinner and shopping one night, and went to downtown Phoenix the other night and walked around after dinner. I love it there!

Just declined my acceptance offer. I hope one of you gets it!

Hey, everyone! I interviewed back in the beginning of January and LOVED it, but it has been over two weeks and haven't heard anything =( did anyone get acceptances/waitlists/rejections more than two weeks after interviewing?

Hey, everyone! I interviewed back in the beginning of January and LOVED it, but it has been over two weeks and haven't heard anything =( did anyone get acceptances/waitlists/rejections more than two weeks after interviewing?

I loved the school as well! I interviewed this past week and she said at the end of the day it could be up to 3 weeks before we are notified--it would just depend on when the admissions committee meets next. I'm sure they allow for extra time so that we are not emailing them at the end of 2 weeks! She did tell us that they had not met regarding the Jan 11th interviews. Is that the day you interviewed?

Last edited:
I loved the school as well! I interviewed this past week on the 18th and she said at the end of the day it could be up to 3 weeks before we are notified--it would just depend on when the admissions committee meets next. I'm sure they allow for extra time so that we are not emailing them at the end of 2 weeks! She did tell us that they had not met regarding the Jan 11th interviews. Is that the day you interviewed?

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your experience =) I interviewed on January 4th, so hopefully I will still hear this week! Thank you for putting me at a bit of a peace of mind!

I interviewed on Nov 10 and got accepted on Nov 29! The admissions committee meets on Mondays and your portal will update on a Tuesday :) so no worries! Good luck!!

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your experience =) I interviewed on January 4th, so hopefully I will still hear this week! Thank you for putting me at a bit of a peace of mind!

No problem! Good luck to you and fingers crossed they will let us know something this Monday or Tuesday as @dairyqueen said! :)

Hi all! Congrats on your acceptance to MWU! My name is Emily and I'm the president of the class of 2020. I noticed a few of you have requested to join the class of 2020 Facebook page! I'm sure many of you have questions about the school and what happens next so later today I will make a Facebook page for the class of 2021 and will post the the link here. There's also a Facebook page for the college of veterinary medicine and a general Midwestern university Page. I will provide all of those links for you later today! Congratulations again! This is a great school and we look forward to meeting you all during orientation!

Does anyone know if they take people off the waitlist in the spring?