Midwestern University School of Veterinary Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hazelmoo

Class of 2020!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really like to know everyone's opinion on Midwestern's school of vet med. What are some pros and cons of the school? I know it's not accredited yet, but it will be in 2018. Does anyone currently go there that can offer me a little bit of advice? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not fully accredited right now, but anyone currently enrolled or enrolling in the next few years are guaranteed the same rights as anyone graduating from a fully accredited institution. The facilities are beautiful and state of the art. The location is pretty nice too, the only serious drawback is the cost.

Reactions: 1 user
It is very expensive. Any current Midwestern students on SDN?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not fully accredited right now, but anyone currently enrolled or enrolling in the next few years are guaranteed the same rights as anyone graduating from a fully accredited institution. The facilities are beautiful and state of the art. The location is pretty nice too, the only serious drawback is the cost.

Reviving an old thread - sorry if there's more information out, this was just the first thing that popped up on the search.

Do they have a teaching hospital? I was under the impression that they didn't. I thought that I heard people were having to drive an hour or more sometime during their clinical year, perhaps for large animal? Is there truth to any of this?

Does anyone know if they are a PBL curriculum, or.....

Reviving an old thread - sorry if there's more information out, this was just the first thing that popped up on the search.

Do they have a teaching hospital? I was under the impression that they didn't. I thought that I heard people were having to drive an hour or more sometime during their clinical year, perhaps for large animal? Is there truth to any of this?

Midwestern DOES have a teaching hospital; I don't know if it's entirely finished being built yet (Hmoo could probably answer that). But I definitely remember it being a big part of the tour last year when I interviewed at the school, and at the time it looked to be mostly completed.

As for PBL, I'm not 100% positive either way. I think most schools are starting to implement PBL into the curriculum at least a little bit in some way (at ISU, we have case studies classes, for example, that I would say are somewhat modeled after PBL), but I don't think Midwestern is primarily PBL-based like, say, Western is.

Their program description from the website:

The CVM offers a four-year program leading to the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.) degree. The first 8 quarters are a combination of classroom lectures, laboratories, simulation lab exercises with standardized clients and patients, and small group student-centered learning experiences. Hands-on live animal contact begins in the first quarter and continues throughout the program. Quarters 9-13 involve diverse clinical rotation training. The majority of the time will be spent on campus in state-of-the-art clinical teaching facilities. Students will also have the opportunity to schedule off-campus clinical elective rotations at pre-approved external sites.

I'm sure @hazelmoo can elaborate more!

Reactions: 1 users
Their program description from the website:

The CVM offers a four-year program leading to the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.) degree. The first 8 quarters are a combination of classroom lectures, laboratories, simulation lab exercises with standardized clients and patients, and small group student-centered learning experiences. Hands-on live animal contact begins in the first quarter and continues throughout the program. Quarters 9-13 involve diverse clinical rotation training. The majority of the time will be spent on campus in state-of-the-art clinical teaching facilities. Students will also have the opportunity to schedule off-campus clinical elective rotations at pre-approved external sites.

I'm sure @hazelmoo can elaborate more!

I was a little confused by that because on another portion of the website it said something about funds being dedicated to those types of facilities, possibly as though they hadn't been built yet.

But yes, if @hazelmoo as some insight on the school as well as CoL that would be much appreciated!

We have the largest veterinary teaching hospital in the country. The whole third floor is a giant surgery area with surgery suites, prep rooms, and recovery areas for student surgery labs. The main floor is a full service veterinary hospital where we have 20+ doctors (I don't know the exact number) and many technicians who see patients every day (they have us in the clinic taking histories for actual clients in our second quarter of our first year). We don't have all specialties at the clinic yet (pretty sure we don't have a radiologist, along with a few others), but MWU is definitely working on it! By the end of this quarter we will also have a full service laboratory so we can run all of our own blood work, urinalysis, etc. in house.

As far as large animal, we have an equine and bovine center on campus with many horses and cows that are used for teaching. We are also in the works for LA ambulatory services! Lots of cool things to come!

We do a lot of PBL, especially when we do case studies in PVM or other classes. I really love how the staff incorporates real life cases and situations to help us learn different aspects of physiology and biochemistry. Not everything is that way I don't think, but it is thrown in quite a bit! If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me! :)

I was a little confused by that because on another portion of the website it said something about funds being dedicated to those types of facilities, possibly as though they hadn't been built yet.

But yes, if @hazelmoo as some insight on the school as well as CoL that would be much appreciated!

We also have an amazing mobile clinic program, with our state of the art mobile unit doing exams/vaccines/surgeries every weekend and every first Wednesday of the month for low income or homeless families. So if you're interested in shelter med, I would keep a look out for schools with this resource for you :) I LOVE going out on the mobile clinic days, and we have an amazingly involved shelter med staff!

We have the largest veterinary teaching hospital in the country. The whole third floor is a giant surgery area with surgery suites, prep rooms, and recovery areas for student surgery labs. The main floor is a full service veterinary hospital where we have 20+ doctors (I don't know the exact number) and many technicians who see patients every day (they have us in the clinic taking histories for actual clients in our second quarter of our first year). We don't have all specialties at the clinic yet (pretty sure we don't have a radiologist, along with a few others), but MWU is definitely working on it! By the end of this quarter we will also have a full service laboratory so we can run all of our own blood work, urinalysis, etc. in house.

As far as large animal, we have an equine and bovine center on campus with many horses and cows that are used for teaching. We are also in the works for LA ambulatory services! Lots of cool things to come!

We do a lot of PBL, especially when we do case studies in PVM or other classes. I really love how the staff incorporates real life cases and situations to help us learn different aspects of physiology and biochemistry. Not everything is that way I don't think, but it is thrown in quite a bit! If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me! :)

There is a lot more going on than I realized. Maybe the information I had gotten was outdated or about another school and I just confused them. I'll be PMing you!

Reactions: 1 users
There is a lot more going on than I realized. Maybe the information I had gotten was outdated or about another school and I just confused them. I'll be PMing you!

I'm so happy you brought this thread back! I have an interview next month and hearing all of this was very reassuring and motivating!

@hazelmoo do you know of anyone involved in research while doing their DVM at MWU?

I'm so happy you brought this thread back! I have an interview next month and hearing all of this was very reassuring and motivating!

@hazelmoo do you know of anyone involved in research while doing their DVM at MWU?

Yes! I'm not sure about all the opportunities available because I'm not involved in research here, but I have friends working in research labs already who seem to enjoy it a lot. There was a big research expo thing on campus where a lot of my classmates got involved with different labs and are working with professors on their projects. We also have luncheons every week where professors and researches present their research. You can definitely get involved!

Yes! I'm not sure about all the opportunities available because I'm not involved in research here, but I have friends working in research labs already who seem to enjoy it a lot. There was a big research expo thing on campus where a lot of my classmates got involved with different labs and are working with professors on their projects. We also have luncheons every week where professors and researches present their research. You can definitely get involved!

Awesome! I'm so excited to interview and check out the school. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user