This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheneman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about multiple routes I could take to pay off college, as well as have a career in the field of Pharmacy. In college I was approached by the Navy and the recruiter about a program they have where they provide you with a monthly stipend, pay off your college, and if I'm not mistaken....you only serve a year for each year you are in pharmacy school (including residiencies if chosen to participate in).

Is there anyone out there that is a part of this program, has knowledge on this program, or has any input on the subject matter?

I have been reading about Military Pharmacy and it doesn't seem as bad as it sounds, plus it's a nice way to repay loans and become debt free quickly while gaining real pharmacy experience.

Also, does anyone know of loan repayment programs besides military? I'm looking at all options.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about the military but U.S. Public Health Service offers comparable benefits as the military. They have internship programs (Jr. and Sr. COSTEP). Sr. COSTEP is similar to what you described where they will give you a stipend during your last year of school in return for a service commitment (usually 18-24 months).

Indian Health Service offers loan forgiveness if you are a site that is in high need of pharmacists. It is $20,000/year before taxes for a 2 year commitment to that specific IHS site. After the 2 years, you can continue to renew it on a year by year basis. It is not pro-rated so if you stay for 1 year and 11 months then you will owe all of the money back. Also important to note that the 2 years does not begin when you start working there but after all your paperwork goes through and is approved which, depending on when you apply, could take a year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently work active duty as pharm tech for army but also work with Air Force and navy pharmacists as well. Navy is currently the only branch that has the program to cover all years of pharmacy school (Air Force 2 years army currently no pharm program). Competitive? Oh yea...lot of slots? Not really. Pharmacists are needed, but not a "die-hard" priority...if you get it, you can get your residency with the branch and start you on 0-3 salary instead of residency on your own.

however, the best way is go in active duty, once you finish training status as a tech apply for pharmacy school. Upon acceptance the navy will PAY your schooling and PAY you on your rank while in school (roughly 1800 - 2046 a month) AND it counts as active duty service all you do is report once every 6 months and be a student. Plus you get GI Bill afterwards for your family (whole other story) and bonus pay....complete time with them you'll have a stellar resume, no debt, and cash in your account...it takes time, but you'll be far ahead of the game. You'll work inpatient in an IV hood with best medical facilities as well as outpatient...best part? Don't deal with insurance!

If you wanna know what it's like well that's a whole other article I could type with both pros / cons depending on ur status lol..but to help with debt not a bad start at all ...

for current debt and future loans look into william d ford loan forgiveness...saved people I know between 35k - 150k depending on ur status...i can give more info on that if ya want but there ya go

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Currently work active duty as pharm tech for army but also work with Air Force and navy pharmacists as well. Navy is currently the only branch that has the program to cover all years of pharmacy school (Air Force 2 years army currently no pharm program). Competitive? Oh yea...lot of slots? Not really. Pharmacists are needed, but not a "die-hard" priority...if you get it, you can get your residency with the branch and start you on 0-3 salary instead of residency on your own.

however, the best way is go in active duty, once you finish training status as a tech apply for pharmacy school. Upon acceptance the navy will PAY your schooling and PAY you on your rank while in school (roughly 1800 - 2046 a month) AND it counts as active duty service all you do is report once every 6 months and be a student. Plus you get GI Bill afterwards for your family (whole other story) and bonus pay....complete time with them you'll have a stellar resume, no debt, and cash in your account...it takes time, but you'll be far ahead of the game. You'll work inpatient in an IV hood with best medical facilities as well as outpatient...best part? Don't deal with insurance!

If you wanna know what it's like well that's a whole other article I could type with both pros / cons depending on ur status lol..but to help with debt not a bad start at all ...

for current debt and future loans look into william d ford loan forgiveness...saved people I know between 35k - 150k depending on ur status...i can give more info on that if ya want but there ya go

Would you mind providing more information on the "William D. Ford loan forgiveness"?
Also, I'd like to hear your take on the pros/cons of working in the military. I've seen some, but I just like to see a lot of lists so that I could develop a very accurate list for myself.

Thank you for all of your help!!

There are other threads on the military pharmacy topics. Keep this in mind:
1. Pharmacists are OFFICERS first then pharmacists. Much of your duties involve being an officer before a professional duty.
2. You will need to have behavior conducive to being issued a Secret clearance (you may or may not be issued one, but you are required to maintain your conduct to that standard).
3. HPSP seesaws between having no one and having no standards whatsoever.

Can someone weigh in on civilian pharmacist positions in military hospitals? I have seen some posted on USAjobs, but how competitive are those? I'm in my last year on rotations. Do I need to get my license first before I apply? I'm just looking for different options

Would you mind providing more information on the "William D. Ford loan forgiveness"?
Also, I'd like to hear your take on the pros/cons of working in the military. I've seen some, but I just like to see a lot of lists so that I could develop a very accurate list for myself.

Thank you for all of your help!!

To help with your perspective on the military, it depends on your background (age, single, live on your own, family size with dependents, etc). Pm me specific questions and your background and I'll let ya know what you need to know.

As for the William D Ford forgiveness program, its for current loans that you need help with along with future loans. If ya want I can pm details on that as well. It has pros and set backs as well depending on your future financial goals. To me more pros than cons.

In the end, please have a set plan A and B for your debt. Don't be 100k+ in loans thinking pharmacy salary will offset it. It definitely could, but at the expense of your autonomy and wrk location. Good job at looking at all possible options before hand

Reactions: 2 users
To help with your perspective on the military, it depends on your background (age, single, live on your own, family size with dependents, etc). Pm me specific questions and your background and I'll let ya know what you need to know.

As for the William D Ford forgiveness program, its for current loans that you need help with along with future loans. If ya want I can pm details on that as well. It has pros and set backs as well depending on your future financial goals. To me more pros than cons.

In the end, please have a set plan A and B for your debt. Don't be 100k+ in loans thinking pharmacy salary will offset it. It definitely could, but at the expense of your autonomy and wrk location. Good job at looking at all possible options before hand

Please PM me details on the William D. Ford Forgiveness Program! Thank you! :)

Please PM me details on the William D. Ford Forgiveness Program! Thank you! :)

Since it is of some worth to others, I'll lightly brief on the details. The William D. Ford Forgiveness program forgives FEDERAL loans that you currently have as well as future loans you may have to take (should you ever have to pull private loans, choose another career path or manage your budgeting because there is no excuse to call for Sally Mae). Ill outline some details as well as cautions:

1) Debt to income : If you sit on 35k of loans for example and you dont meet the poverty threshold of your state then you easily qualify with $0.00 payments all is forgiven. I suggest working part time in any federal service job that offers a TSP plan because 10/10 times you will never pay another penny.
2) W-2 forms / 1095 / whole "shebang": Prove how much money you made / make and report this every 12 months to the program. Simply proof to show you still qualify in the program.
3) Report your loan payments: Obviously if your deal is $0.00 then no worry. If your arrangement with them is $40 a month then you must show that your still doing this.
4) When you have realized what your new payment plan is, for the service you pay $39 a month for 48 months. So you tell me which is better, paying your current or new-to-be loan payment plan, or the $39 a month for 4 years? You decide. If you going to pull 100k+ in future loans, they may extend your $39 a month for an extra 6 months or so. Oh well....

Now the caution:

1) you must report the following I listed for 120 months so once a year puts you at 10 years. Obviously you a broke student for four years plus perhaps a PGY1 OR even a PGY2. For simplicity lets say you specialize: 4 + PGY1 + PGY2 = 6 years of being broke. Residency pay will not throw you passed the threshold simply on its pay rate compared to straight retail out of getting your PharmD. So, on the 7th year, they will arrange a new payment of your loans since you now make a "good" salary to there standpoint. You will pay back a certain percentage depending how much they covered for you. So 230k in debt, perhaps they say you pay back 90k or less...that's something you will have to discuss with them.

2) you missed the deadline to report your earnings because it slipped your mind: Because it slipped your mind, the contract is void. NOW you have to pay it all with a set interest they placed for you. No good.

The Pros:

all is forgiven, and if you pull future loans in school that they forgive, whatever loan you pocketed after tuition / books / LIFE etc etc, guess what? you do just that. you POCKET the cash in your account. Colleague of mine is currently doing this and has pocketed 70k thus far debt free... he's an outlier so dont ride your hopes on this.

Qualifying for this program qualifies for extra scholarships given to those considered in "poverty." Aren't all students in poverty? yes, but proof of a program such as this writes it out for the university to be sent scholastic money on your behalf. I have a brother doing this right now.

My advice: If you have other options and currently not in pharmacy, please dig deep in yourself and consider the following: YOU are relying on a non-profit voucher amendment to pay you for your education. All it takes in the next decade is the government to change its mind. Do not go to this source without a back-up plan. If this is cut off by any means, you will be slaved to the very thing you went to school for. Its like fishing...Its great and fun on the lake when you do it out of passion. What if you NOW have to do it as a means for food? Passion seems to dwindle dont you think?

Heres a call-in to talk with an advisor: 310-432-6959. If not here look it up if your sketchy. Oh and FYI, if your claimed by your folks, you must file both of there taxes and typically that puts you out of the program or at least not as good if you could just claim yourself. Anyway, that's a start for you. Hope this gives some light for you on what you need to prepare for and the importance of budgeting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Can someone weigh in on civilian pharmacist positions in military hospitals? I have seen some posted on USAjobs, but how competitive are those? I'm in my last year on rotations. Do I need to get my license first before I apply? I'm just looking for different options

Very hard to get without prior experience in a military pharmacy, from what I've seen, because of how tricky the computer system is. Yes, you must have a license.

In the Air Force HPSP contract I signed years ago, the time in HPSP does NOT count towards retirement or for pay purposes. I can't imagine anything has changed since then.

Of course, it depends on your loan burden, but I would not join the military with the sole aim of paying off debt quickly. The scholarship programs do not pay off prior debt, at least when I went through. Again, I can't imagine that has changed.

From what I have witnessed it is pretty hard to get a GS job on base. For a while they contracted pharmacist through a 3rd party so they could cut them more easily. Base consolidations and centralized satellite pharmacies are also reducing positions. The whole merge between the VA and DOD systems is not going to be fun as their systems belong in a pharmacy museum. Keep in mind the huge pay cut and that your direct report as a pharmacist, may be Msgt senior tech. Just things to think about.