Million dollar question. What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dzehva1989

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these types of questions are asked Millions of times on these websites but I just kind of wanted to tell my story and get some feedback. Be as brutal as needed, but have some facts behind it don't just say "you don't have a chance" then you just sound like a negative you know what.

Anyways, I'm 27 years old. I graduated with a chemistry and a biochemistry degree (basically the same) my gpa was low 2.7 and at the time I wanted to go to pharmacy school. I took the PCAT and actually did very well (90th percentile) I worked at a pharmacy and hated it and decided against it. Even in undergrad I was always interested in the medical field but for some reason I never thought I could go to med school so that's one of the reasons I chose the pharm route. Anyways after deciding pharm wasn't for me I've been working in the industry. I have about 5 years of experience as a biochemist and I'm reaching the point where I feel like I'm wasting my talents away and I'm not living a rewarding life, where I'm truly happy with what I'm doing. Constantly I tell people if you don't like something change it, but I don't find myself doing the same..which makes me a hypocrite.

About a year ago I decided to take a few classes while working 60+ hours of nightshift and I didn't do well in them. So my problem is this..I feel like that makes my case a million times more difficult the fact that I didn't do well in those classes cause that's when you should show that you can do it. However, in all honesty most people would struggle in classes if they worked night shift and went to class in the morning but I doubt the medical board looks at that.

Lastly, I know I'm smart and I know I have passion for medical school (I have also been involved in a lot of volunteering) but my gpa sucks bad and I'm trying to decide whether to invest in going back to school and am I too old to even still try that route??

I was thinking about retaking every class I've gotten less than an A in at a local community college (because of finances) and I believe I would score well one the MCAT, with that and volunteering I still don't think that I have a chance at an allopathic school but do you think I have a chance at a D.O school since the grades get replaced?

Please help, confused and kind of hopeless

PS- I forgot to mention that the low undergrad gpa had to do with a lot of personal problems that I didn't get fixed as early as I should have. I used to be one of those people that was completely against anti depressants and anything for anxiety. I wish I would have seen that considering how many tests were failed due to anxiety and panic attacks. But knowledge of mental health wasn't something I was concerned with in college

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To pursue DO, your best bet is to retake all F/D/C classes. Retaking B classes really won't raise your GPA by much. You could retake B- if they fall in pre-req classes but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you have everything outside of school squared away. Don't start taking classes until you are ready to do well. Make sure you shadow/volunteer to make sure this is the path for you before spending years and many thousands of dollars. Best of luck to you!

I know these types of questions are asked Millions of times on these websites but I just kind of wanted to tell my story and get some feedback. Be as brutal as needed, but have some facts behind it don't just say "you don't have a chance" then you just sound like a negative you know what.

Anyways, I'm 27 years old. I graduated with a chemistry and a biochemistry degree (basically the same) my gpa was low 2.7 and at the time I wanted to go to pharmacy school. I took the PCAT and actually did very well (90th percentile) I worked at a pharmacy and hated it and decided against it. Even in undergrad I was always interested in the medical field but for some reason I never thought I could go to med school so that's one of the reasons I chose the pharm route. Anyways after deciding pharm wasn't for me I've been working in the industry. I have about 5 years of experience as a biochemist and I'm reaching the point where I feel like I'm wasting my talents away and I'm not living a rewarding life, where I'm truly happy with what I'm doing. Constantly I tell people if you don't like something change it, but I don't find myself doing the same..which makes me a hypocrite.

About a year ago I decided to take a few classes while working 60+ hours of nightshift and I didn't do well in them. So my problem is this..I feel like that makes my case a million times more difficult the fact that I didn't do well in those classes cause that's when you should show that you can do it. However, in all honesty most people would struggle in classes if they worked night shift and went to class in the morning but I doubt the medical board looks at that.

Lastly, I know I'm smart and I know I have passion for medical school (I have also been involved in a lot of volunteering) but my gpa sucks bad and I'm trying to decide whether to invest in going back to school and am I too old to even still try that route??

I was thinking about retaking every class I've gotten less than an A in at a local community college (because of finances) and I believe I would score well one the MCAT, with that and volunteering I still don't think that I have a chance at an allopathic school but do you think I have a chance at a D.O school since the grades get replaced?

Please help, confused and kind of hopeless

PS- I forgot to mention that the low undergrad gpa had to do with a lot of personal problems that I didn't get fixed as early as I should have. I used to be one of those people that was completely against anti depressants and anything for anxiety. I wish I would have seen that considering how many tests were failed due to anxiety and panic attacks. But knowledge of mental health wasn't something I was concerned with in college

Reactions: 1 user