Minnesota c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

battie

U. Illinois
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The e-mail they sent me and some info that LIS has given over in some other threads has convinced me to move to the land of snow and enchantment. lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm glad theres no supplemental application for minnesota, one less essay to write!

Members don't see this ad :)
I e-mailed them some questions and they e-mailed me back

oo okay makes sense, I was picturing a mass email to all applicants for some reason. Out of curiosity, what was it that got you super excited about Minnesota? (I'm applying too :) )

A couple of things put them on my list. First off, they don't require organic II. lol. I refused to take it at my undergrad after my organic I fiasco with our only organic professor, and it just never fit into the schedule I had at the school near my home. So I could only consider schools that only require organic I. My pre-requisite GPA is pretty close to their average and they don't consider cumulative GPA, which helps me. They don't consider the analytical portion of the GRE, which is unfortunate for me because I nailed it like a boss. However, I decided to retake the GRE in August and I am already doing better on the quantitative section questions (where I struggled), so that has also kept them in contention. They also have a larger amount of out of state seats. If I get past their academic evaluation and get an interview, then I feel I would have a decent chance because I interview very well. So I thought, why not?! This is potentially the last time I will apply so I wanted to keep my options open.

Applying here this year as a first time applicant! Good luck to everyone!

Everyone be sure to post when you start to hear back from schools!!!! Good luck!!!! Getting so close now!

OOS first time Minnesota applicant here! May the force be with you everyone.

Well that's lame. Lol. I like to plan this stuff, Minnesota!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's lame. Lol. I like to plan this stuff, Minnesota!

The nice part is it's a relatively short period of time to stress out about the interview. And you get results back pretty quickly. They do three weeks in a row of interviews, and offers typically have gone out the week after the final interview sessions. So while waiting through fall sucks ... things happen reasonably quickly after that.

Will they send application updates to us? I know for Iowa State I can physically check my own application status, but it seems I can't do that here.

For my year they sent out an email update once they'd received all your application materials, and then that was it until interview invites were sent out.

Reactions: 1 user
"Complete applications will be reviewed starting in September through December. You will receive an e-mail with an application status update in early January. Application status updates are unavailable prior to January. The e-mail will inform you if you are eligible for an interview, or if your application is no longer under consideration. Interviews will take place in late January and early February 2016. Offers of admission will be sent shortly after all interviews are complete, around mid-February. Applicants offered admission have until April 15, 2016, to accept or decline admission."

Email from them after my application was verified

I'm a first time applicant to the U of M. I'm a current Biomedical Science Master's student at Iowa State. I applied to ISU, U of M, and the University of Wisconsin, and I my first choice is honestly is the U of M. I feel that they're the most professional and helpful of the 3 that I applied to. Plus, I'm a South Dakota resident, so I get reciprocity in Minnesota. Ahhhh, I'm nervous.

I'm also applying to Minnesota OOS!

I'm applying to Minnesota OOS as well! It's my top choice school! And yes, this waiting is killing me too! :nailbiting:

I'm a first time applicant to the U of M. I'm a current Biomedical Science Master's student at Iowa State. I applied to ISU, U of M, and the University of Wisconsin, and I my first choice is honestly is the U of M. I feel that they're the most professional and helpful of the 3 that I applied to. Plus, I'm a South Dakota resident, so I get reciprocity in Minnesota. Ahhhh, I'm nervous.

My advice to you is to not base your decision on if one school is more helpful than the other. IMO you should go to the cheapest school you get into and in your case it would be Iowa State. South Dakota also has a contract with Iowa State and in that case you get in state tuition, and it is easily $10,000/ year less and that is not even beginning to factor into the cost of living. If you get into Iowa State, I would go there for financial reasons.

To give you some perspective I am from the state of Minnesota and I got into the U of MN, but I still chose to come to ISU. Even though the OOS tuition is higher, the cost of living and expenditures (I can walk to school everyday) made that hard to beat. There are also 8 other MN residents in my class and not to mention all the other South Dakota and North Dakota residents that get a contract with Iowa and Minnesota. Actually in truth MN students are the highest proportion of OOS students that don't have a contract with ISU for the past few years.

Don't base your decision on the faculty you talk with about admissions, they will not be the ones teaching you. Base your decision on finances.

Also, if you are in the 1 year Master's program at ISU... you have classes in the same building as the vet students. I would suggest talking to the first years and asking them what they think of the program.

Don't base your decision on the faculty you talk with about admissions, they will not be the ones teaching you. Base your decision on finances.

I agree with everything else you said, but the above quoted material is incorrect. All of the faculty I talked to prior to admission at UMN were definitely the faculty that taught.

I loved UMN, but I mostly agree. I wouldn't say that finances should be the sole factor by any stretch, but they should be the largest weighted factor. It's only four years, and there's not enough significance attached to where you went to school, whereas finances will follow you long after. UMN needs to get a grip on their tuition. I recognize that it is a VERY difficult challenge for the school - there is only so much the individual college (within the greater university) can do - but they need to put every last little ounce of effort they can into dealing with their tuition problems.

I agree with everything else you said, but the above quoted material is incorrect. All of the faculty I talked to prior to admission at UMN were definitely the faculty that taught.

I loved UMN, but I mostly agree. I wouldn't say that finances should be the sole factor by any stretch, but they should be the largest weighted factor. It's only four years, and there's not enough significance attached to where you went to school, whereas finances will follow you long after. UMN needs to get a grip on their tuition. I recognize that it is a VERY difficult challenge for the school - there is only so much the individual college (within the greater university) can do - but they need to put every last little ounce of effort they can into dealing with their tuition problems.

Sorry was referring to Iowa when making that statement. All the studying makes the brain incoherent at times...

"Complete applications will be reviewed starting in September through December. You will receive an e-mail with an application status update in early January. Application status updates are unavailable prior to January. The e-mail will inform you if you are eligible for an interview, or if your application is no longer under consideration. Interviews will take place in late January and early February 2016. Offers of admission will be sent shortly after all interviews are complete, around mid-February. Applicants offered admission have until April 15, 2016, to accept or decline admission."

Email from them after my application was verified

So interviews won't be offered until January if I'm understanding correctly? So long to wait....

Reactions: 2 users
I'm an OOS applicant as well, hoping to get into my IS school (already got the interview letter for my IS school for Feb.1st)

Last edited:
Do they require fall transcripts at Minnesota? I saw someone on another board saying they don't sent their interview offers until January to wait on fall grades, but on their confirmation email from Sept, it said they don't, and prefer not to get them...

Do they require fall transcripts at Minnesota? I saw someone on another board saying they don't sent their interview offers until January to wait on fall grades, but on their confirmation email from Sept, it said they don't, and prefer not to get them...

Always believe the school over a fellow pre-vet. ;)

I'm pretty sure their schedule has nothing to do with fall transcripts, I don't think I sent mine in the year I applied. That being said, it's been awhile now and vet school has melted my brain so I would just go with whatever the school told you (or email them again to double check).

So I'm thinking we'll be hearing on Monday, guys! Just looked through last year's thread and it seems like the Monday after New Year's is the day.

Reactions: 4 users
So I'm thinking we'll be hearing on Monday, guys! Just looked through last year's thread and it seems like the Monday after New Year's is the day.
Oh wow -thats good to know!

Just got the invite!

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like monday was right! Just got an interview! I live half an hour (walking) from the interview location, so I don't have to spend tons of money on travel this time!

If anyone travelling for an interview needs a couch to crash on, I'd be happy to put you up. I'll have to clear it with my roommates, but it should be fine. Let me know!

I got one too!!

YAY INTERVIEW! kinda bummed about not hearing from Cornell yet, so this was nice :)

Dang it didn't get it :( good luck to everyone else

Did not get an interview, either.

Yay got my invitation :cat: Super excited!

No interview here good luck and congrats to those who did !

Does anyone know about how many out of state applicants Minnesota tends to interview?