Minnesota c/o 2020

Started by battie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how much IS waitlists tend to move? Don't want to get my hopes up too high...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how much IS waitlists tend to move? Don't want to get my hopes up too high...

I am also curious about this...i am currently 10 on the list. Many people I have spoke with have made it seem like 10 is a very encouraging number but I am just super nervous.
 
Does anyone know how much IS waitlists tend to move? Don't want to get my hopes up too high...
Apparently the past few years it has gone into the 20s. That being said, there was also a year recently that only went to number 3. That is the info my waitlisted friend dug up. So it's hard to say.
 
Apparently the past few years it has gone into the 20s. That being said, there was also a year recently that only went to number 3. That is the info my waitlisted friend dug up. So it's hard to say.

While this makes me hopeful :soexcited: why do people decline their IS admission? It seems unlikely to me that 20 people would decline IS tuition.
 
While this makes me hopeful :soexcited: why do people decline their IS admission? It seems unlikely to me that 20 people would decline IS tuition.
I know a lot of people that have chosen to go somewhere other than UMN because the cost of living is much higher than somewhere rural so they feel it evens out. Some people are turned off by the idea of living in the city in general.
 
While this makes me hopeful :soexcited: why do people decline their IS admission? It seems unlikely to me that 20 people would decline IS tuition.
Had UW-Madison taken me off their waitlist I would have seriously considered declining my IS UMN seat. At the time, going to UW-Mad OOS would have been cheaper than attending UMN IS. I never got the call though so it became a moot point.
 
While this makes me hopeful :soexcited: why do people decline their IS admission? It seems unlikely to me that 20 people would decline IS tuition.

Because there are places OOS that are cheaper than UMN IS. And some people just really, really want to pay more to go to some other school (doesn't make any sense to me, but everyone has their own priorities).

To whoever said they were sitting at 10, I would be cautiously optimistic at 10. Obviously no guarantees, but I think the odds are in your favor.
 
Rejected. Heartbroken. This was my top choice. I interviewed at 4 schools. I've been wait listed at 2 and now rejected. Haven't heard from one other, but it was my 4th choice, and weighs grades heavily and I believe that was my weak point. I'm very scared I won't be going to vet school this year.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Because there are places OOS that are cheaper than UMN IS. And some people just really, really want to pay more to go to some other school (doesn't make any sense to me, but everyone has their own priorities).

To whoever said they were sitting at 10, I would be cautiously optimistic at 10. Obviously no guarantees, but I think the odds are in your favor.

Cautiously optimistic.. Pretty much. I really hope people make decisions quickly to put me out of my misery
 
Rejected. Heartbroken. This was my top choice. I interviewed at 4 schools. I've been wait listed at 2 and now rejected. Haven't heard from one other, but it was my 4th choice, and weighs grades heavily and I believe that was my weak point. I'm very scared I won't be going to vet school this year.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I know exactly how you're feeling right now - the first time I applied to vet school, I didn't even get any interviews, I just got rejected everywhere and it felt like a punch in the stomach when I got my rejection from MN because it seemed like my best option. And it really, really bites to feel that way. Doing the application reviews with schools really helped me to be a better applicant, and to be honest, getting all those rejections sent me down a path I wouldn't otherwise have been on (research) and ended up totally changing the direction of my career.

Keep your chin up! Sending you hugs.
 
Cautiously optimistic.. Pretty much. I really hope people make decisions quickly to put me out of my misery

Haha. I understand hoping that. But please don't be the person last year who went over the line and started arguing that it was rude of people with offers not to make a quick decision. People have until the deadline and there is zero obligation to make a decision until then.

In any case, I think MN doesn't send out subsequent rounds of offers until the deadline passes (though it's possible they have changed this approach since I went through). Unless they have changed it, you won't hear until after the deadline for accepting offers regardless of how quick people decide.

Rejected. Heartbroken. This was my top choice. I interviewed at 4 schools. I've been wait listed at 2 and now rejected. Haven't heard from one other, but it was my 4th choice, and weighs grades heavily and I believe that was my weak point. I'm very scared I won't be going to vet school this year.

Well, being wait-listed gives you a reasonable chance. And if you get bageled this year across the board - just learn from it and improve your app for next year. Being a multi-year applicant puts you in good company. It doesn't reflect on your future potential to be a great student and doctor. Don't let it influence your view of yourself.
 
Haha. I understand hoping that. But please don't be the person last year who went over the line and started arguing that it was rude of people with offers not to make a quick decision. People have until the deadline and there is zero obligation to make a decision until then.

In any case, I think MN doesn't send out subsequent rounds of offers until the deadline passes (though it's possible they have changed this approach since I went through). Unless they have changed it, you won't hear until after the deadline for accepting offers regardless of how quick people decide.



Well, being wait-listed gives you a reasonable chance. And if you get bageled this year across the board - just learn from it and improve your app for next year. Being a multi-year applicant puts you in good company. It doesn't reflect on your future
Haha. I understand hoping that. But please don't be the person last year who went over the line and started arguing that it was rude of people with offers not to make a quick decision. People have until the deadline and there is zero obligation to make a decision until then.

In any case, I think MN doesn't send out subsequent rounds of offers until the deadline passes (though it's possible they have changed this approach since I went through). Unless they have changed it, you won't hear until after the deadline for accepting offers regardless of how quick people decide.



Well, being wait-listed gives you a reasonable chance. And if you get bageled this year across the board - just learn from it and improve your app for next year. Being a multi-year applicant puts you in good company. It doesn't reflect on your future potential to be a great student and doctor. Don't let it influence your view of yourself.


Oh I know that people have a right to wait. I Was accepted at ISU but UMN is just my first choice, so I understand why people don't respond immediately.

In the email I got it said that they notify you as soon as a seat opens up, and you're also free to contact them at any time to get an update on your position.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected. Heartbroken. This was my top choice. I interviewed at 4 schools. I've been wait listed at 2 and now rejected. Haven't heard from one other, but it was my 4th choice, and weighs grades heavily and I believe that was my weak point. I'm very scared I won't be going to vet school this year.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm also wait listed for two schools and I was rejected from a third. Minnesota was also my preferred school. It's easy to get down about this, but let me ask you: what can you improve for your next application? Take a few days to grieve and then start this weekend on those opportunities. I can't improve my grades for example, but I will retake the GRE (took it cold), and form additional veterinary references/relationships. I'm also applying for full-time jobs in research labs.
So, what can you do in case the wait list doesn't work out? LOTS!
 
I'm also wait listed for two schools and I was rejected from a third. Minnesota was also my preferred school. It's easy to get down about this, but let me ask you: what can you improve for your next application? Take a few days to grieve and then start this weekend on those opportunities. I can't improve my grades for example, but I will retake the GRE (took it cold), and form additional veterinary references/relationships. I'm also applying for full-time jobs in research labs.
So, what can you do in case the wait list doesn't work out? LOTS!
I'm in my last semester and I'm doing my best with my grades. I got a 158 on verbal and 162 on quant so my GRE was fine. I have incredible veterinary relationships. One of my LOR's came from the head vet at Belmont Race Track who happens to be a Minnesota grad. I'll do more of course if I don't get into my 4th school/don't get off the wait lists. After I got interviews at half the schools I applied to, my hopes got pretty high, hearing back from those three within 2 days with negative answers sucked.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Are there any current students that would be willing to let me message them? I loved the school when I visited but I just wanted to ask a couple of questions to make sure it's a good fit for me.
 
If I am #2 on the IS wait list do I have a good chance? Ive had some of my professors be kind of skeptical/negative about my chances of getting in even at #2
 
Are there any current students that would be willing to let me message them? I loved the school when I visited but I just wanted to ask a couple of questions to make sure it's a good fit for me.

Sure, feel free to PM me too if you have questions
 
Oh I know that people have a right to wait. I Was accepted at ISU but UMN is just my first choice, so I understand why people don't respond immediately.

In the email I got it said that they notify you as soon as a seat opens up, and you're also free to contact them at any time to get an update on your position.

I was waitlisted at U of MN IS. I can't remember my specific number, but it was in the 20's I believe. I ended up getting an acceptance to the U of MN and Iowa State. However, I wasn't notified until late July/early August that I got into the U of MN. I ended up at ISU and I don't regret my decision. Although saying that if I remember the OOS list at U of MN barely moved that year, so it is extremely variable. Good luck!
 
Hi everyone! Congratulations to everybody on being accepted! I am OOS and extremely grateful to be accepted; however, I was wondering if any current or future OOS students can explain how they justified such a high tuition when choosing MN. There is absolutely no denying how nice all the facilities were and how great the school is, but it is a lot more expensive than other schools I am looking at. I am not saying that cost is everything, but I am just wondering what made you choose MN even though it is so expensive! Thanks in advance 🙂
 
In the email I got it said that they notify you as soon as a seat opens up, and you're also free to contact them at any time to get an update on your position.

Huh that's strange... In the email that my waitlisted friend got it said they would be notified shortly after the deadline for people to accept their position (April 15th). She was anxious because she is very high on the list so she emailed Karen Nelson (director of admissions) who reiterated that there wouldn't be any updates until after April 15th. If this is wrong though, let me know, because she would be thrilled to find out other wise!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Huh that's strange... In the email that my waitlisted friend got it said they would be notified shortly after the deadline for people to accept their position (April 15th). She was anxious because she is very high on the list so she emailed Karen Nelson (director of admissions) who reiterated that there wouldn't be any updates until after April 15th. If this is wrong though, let me know, because she would be thrilled to find out other wise!

That is more consistent with how it was done in the past. I wonder if the other poster was confusing another school with UMN?


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
 
Hi everyone! Congratulations to everybody on being accepted! I am OOS and extremely grateful to be accepted; however, I was wondering if any current or future OOS students can explain how they justified such a high tuition when choosing MN. There is absolutely no denying how nice all the facilities were and how great the school is, but it is a lot more expensive than other schools I am looking at. I am not saying that cost is everything, but I am just wondering what made you choose MN even though it is so expensive! Thanks in advance 🙂
I may not be super relevant here, since my in state is more expensive than U Mn, and I haven't attended yet...but the reason I'm considering U Mn to be one of my top choices is because the students I met at interviews seemed genuinely happy to be there. It's an old school, so there are schools out there that I interviewed at that were far more flashy, but the students seemed ultra competitive or burned out. From a more financial aspect, U Mn allows you to petition for residency after year one. Some schools make you sign a waiver stating that you won't attempt to get residency, and some states just don't allow it. Also, the AVMA did a debt-to-cost ratio study (read more here: https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/151215c.aspx), and U Mn is at the bottom of the list. That means U Mn students don't graduate with excessive debt! It's cold in the winter (I'm from the east coast), but it seems like a no-brainer to me!
 
Last edited:
Huh that's strange... In the email that my waitlisted friend got it said they would be notified shortly after the deadline for people to accept their position (April 15th). She was anxious because she is very high on the list so she emailed Karen Nelson (director of admissions) who reiterated that there wouldn't be any updates until after April 15th. If this is wrong though, let me know, because she would be thrilled to find out other wise!


Sorry for confusing people. That is what the email said but I guess I misunderstood. It definitely says "waitlisted students will be notified as vacancies occur" but upon investigating further it's true that we won't know until after the deadline.
 
Can anybody give some insight into the process of becoming a resident of Minnesota after a year of attending vet school there? On the interview day they said it was possible but not guaranteed. Just how difficult is it to apply for residency and what is the likelihood one would be granted it? I have interests in wildlife conservation medicine and have gotten into Tufts as well. Although Tufts has a curriculum with more of a focus in this area I was really impressed by UoM and would much prefer to live in the Twin Cities area than North Grafton, MA. If I knew there was a good chance of being granted IS status after my first year I would most probably attend UoM although I'm not sure whether its worth it to gamble and possibly pay approximately $6000 more in tuition a year.
 
Can anybody give some insight into the process of becoming a resident of Minnesota after a year of attending vet school there? On the interview day they said it was possible but not guaranteed. Just how difficult is it to apply for residency and what is the likelihood one would be granted it? I have interests in wildlife conservation medicine and have gotten into Tufts as well. Although Tufts has a curriculum with more of a focus in this area I was really impressed by UoM and would much prefer to live in the Twin Cities area than North Grafton, MA. If I knew there was a good chance of being granted IS status after my first year I would most probably attend UoM although I'm not sure whether its worth it to gamble and possibly pay approximately $6000 more in tuition a year.
This is always a really difficult question to answer because there are no hard and fast rules to follow and no way to guarantee getting IS status. I know classmates who have done it and I know classmates who have not yet been approved. The general consensus is to not expect to get it but if that is your goal to really prove that you want it. That typically means putting down roots, getting a job and paying MN state taxes, switching your car and drivers license over to MN, buying a house if you can afford it, having a spouse that works in MN, and definitely staying over the summer, preferably working full time and paying those MN taxes. There may even be "rules" about not going out of state for more than a week at a time, but I don't really know. All that being said, I don't know if there's ever really a good chance of being granted IS tuition, it all depends on how much effort you put into it and what the committee ends up deciding. Also note that I was born and raised in MN, so I've never had to actually go through the process.