Minnesota c/o 2020

Started by battie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry for confusing people. That is what the email said but I guess I misunderstood. It definitely says "waitlisted students will be notified as vacancies occur" but upon investigating further it's true that we won't know until after the deadline.

If it said that, I think it was worded confusingly. What they have done in the past is a few rounds of offers. So when the deadline for current offers passes (April 15) they will re-assess and send out more offers to waitlisted people to cover seats that were declined. When the deadline for that round offers passes, they'll iterate the process again until the seats are full.

Can anybody give some insight into the process of becoming a resident of Minnesota after a year of attending vet school there? On the interview day they said it was possible but not guaranteed. Just how difficult is it to apply for residency and what is the likelihood one would be granted it? I have interests in wildlife conservation medicine and have gotten into Tufts as well. Although Tufts has a curriculum with more of a focus in this area I was really impressed by UoM and would much prefer to live in the Twin Cities area than North Grafton, MA. If I knew there was a good chance of being granted IS status after my first year I would most probably attend UoM although I'm not sure whether its worth it to gamble and possibly pay approximately $6000 more in tuition a year.

Everything kcoughli said is spot on. It's (at least partially) a subjective process, so there is no perfect checklist of "do these things and automatically get residency." The benefit to it being subjective is that the criteria are flexible. The downside as an applicant is that you can't predict with certainty what you need to do.

I <thought> the decision was made by one person, not a committee, but if kcoughli says it is a committee I'd defer to her since she's currently there and things may have changed over the last year. Doesn't really matter much either way; the important part is that it's not an entirely predictable process. But doing the things she mentioned are important and people do regularly get residency.

Maybe I am confused, but UMN OOS is not $6000 more per year. It's more like $25000 more per year. I love my alma mater, but it's very huge glaring downside is the tuition is simply ridiculous: $31k IS, $56k OOS. They have got to get that number down - simply freezing it for a few years is absolutely not going to cut it if they want to remain the excellent school they are.
 
Last edited:
I <thought> the decision was made by one person, not a committee, but if kcoughli says it is a committee I'd defer to her since she's currently there and things may have changed over the last year. Doesn't really matter much either way; the important part is that it's not an entirely predictable process. But doing the things she mentioned are important and people do regularly get residency.
It may be a single person. I've only heard rumors that it was in flux and actually in the process of changing somehow, and heard the word committee thrown about. Since it has never really affected me I don't typically pay a lot of attention to it :shrug:
 
Maybe I am confused, but UMN OOS is not $6000 more per year. It's more like $25000 more per year. I love my alma mater, but it's very huge glaring downside is the tuition is simply ridiculous: $31k IS, $56k OOS. They have got to get that number down - simply freezing it for a few years is absolutely not going to cut it if they want to remain the excellent school they are.

OOS UoM tuition for 2014-15= $55,160
OOS Tufts tuition 2015-2016= $49,886
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got into UMN OOS and accepted my offer!!! I'd like to move to Minnesota early in the summer (late June or early July) as I go to school in Northern California and don't want to have to move home to Southern California and then move out there. Is anyone else interested in moving out early and getting a place together or did any current students do this? Thanks for any replies!
 
I got into UMN OOS and accepted my offer!!! I'd like to move to Minnesota early in the summer (late June or early July) as I go to school in Northern California and don't want to have to move home to Southern California and then move out there. Is anyone else interested in moving out early and getting a place together or did any current students do this? Thanks for any replies!

The apartment complex I live at (literally 3 minutes from campus by car) usually has some openings come up around the beginning of July, PM me if you want me to send you the phone number. Might be nice to have more than 1 vet student living here...
 
So I made a Facebook page for all of us that have decided on Minnesota! The link is facebook.com/Umncvmco2020
 
Looks like a page.

Yeah. It really should be a group. You will want to be able to limit who has access to it. Trust me.

Usually how it works is someone creates the Group. The incoming folks join as they start to find it. A bunch of upperclassmen join. Then sometime in the first year after you guys are on your feet you kick all the upperclass peeps out do you finally have a private place for your class.

It is a process that has worked pretty well for a number of years now.

There also is a general UMN CVM students group, but you will not be allowed to join it until right around when school starts because that is the soonest the managers of the page can get a class list, and we really do try to keep non-UMN types out of the group.
 
Is it a page or a group? I would suggest making it a group so you can limit who has access to it.
Yeah I just made a group too. I'm kind of technologically challenged and didn't think about the difference before. The group is called university of minnesota college of veterinary medicine class of 2020. I deleted the page.
 
Last edited:
Does anyone know how strict they're going to be for the "above a C-" rule for prerequisites? I'm hardcore struggling through physics II and I don't want to end up with a C- and have my acceptance rescinded...I feel like no matter how much time and effort I put into that class, the exams end up looking like hieroglyphics
 
Does anyone know how strict they're going to be for the "above a C-" rule for prerequisites? I'm hardcore struggling through physics II and I don't want to end up with a C- and have my acceptance rescinded...I feel like no matter how much time and effort I put into that class, the exams end up looking like hieroglyphics

Don't know. Sorry. On the one hand, it might be worth calling to ask because it might set your mind at ease. On the other, it may just draw attention to it. Really, I'm not sure what the best approach is other than study like hell and get it to a C.

Best of luck. Physics is one of the most useless vet-school pre-reqs. I enjoyed the classes, but found almost no real applicability to vet school.
 
I don't know about Minnesota, but I had a friend at a different school that was accepted and finishing her last semester. She was struggling in biochem and they were really understanding. She kept in contact with them and made sure they were up to date on what was going on and she ended up getting a bit below the required grade point and they let it slide. May or may not be applicable here but just why I'm gonna cast my vote that you should talk to them. They've been really understanding in my communications thus far with them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know If Minnesota has a good/any wildlife conservation related program/project?

Also, does anyone know approximately how much grant/scholarship a student may receive on an yearly basis? Minnesota was my top choice school but it is OOS and most expensive out of all the school I got into. How difficult is it to get in-state..? I read the previous posts, and it seems that decidion is rather arbitrary..

My parents have agreed to support paying part of the cost of attendance..and I'm having a difficult time deciding where to go! Any input/feedback/etc will be greatly appreciated.

If there's anyone that I could fb message for more questions, I'd appreciate that as well
 
Does anyone know If Minnesota has a good/any wildlife conservation related program/project?

Also, does anyone know approximately how much grant/scholarship a student may receive on an yearly basis? Minnesota was my top choice school but it is OOS and most expensive out of all the school I got into. How difficult is it to get in-state..? I read the previous posts, and it seems that decidion is rather arbitrary..

My parents have agreed to support paying part of the cost of attendance..and I'm having a difficult time deciding where to go! Any input/feedback/etc will be greatly appreciated.

If there's anyone that I could fb message for more questions, I'd appreciate that as well
There's a Wildlife Rehab Center you can volunteer at and I believe you can take a course there over the summer. There's also the ZEAW Club (Zoo, Exotics, Avian/aquatics, Wildlife) which is getting more and more active every year. This year they hosted a weekend National Wildlife Rehabilitator's course with lectures and wet labs which they may try to do again in the future if possible.

Grants are from my perspective essentially non-existant. MN is not the school for handing out $25K scholarships or anything of the sort. There are a few scholarships you can apply for but no real big hitters. I was really proactive last year and managed to come out with ~$8K in scholarships which seems impressive until you realize that it basically just covered my living expenses for one year.

I am from MN so I don't know first hand how difficult it is to get IS tuition. You have to be proactive about it and it used to be very subjective (ie no hard and fast rules, do x y and z and you get it) but I have heard rumors that it is becoming slightly easier.

Honestly, you can PM me with any questions, but I would go where it's cheapest. You have to make opportunities for yourself wherever you go to vet school and you can come out with the education you want at any vet school so long as you are proactive about getting it. The cost is something that will follow you after vet school, even if it is your parents' money, that money could be better spent purchasing a functioning car after you graduate or putting a down payment on a house somewhere.
 
There's a Wildlife Rehab Center you can volunteer at and I believe you can take a course there over the summer. There's also the ZEAW Club (Zoo, Exotics, Avian/aquatics, Wildlife) which is getting more and more active every year. This year they hosted a weekend National Wildlife Rehabilitator's course with lectures and wet labs which they may try to do again in the future if possible.

Grants are from my perspective essentially non-existant. MN is not the school for handing out $25K scholarships or anything of the sort. There are a few scholarships you can apply for but no real big hitters. I was really proactive last year and managed to come out with ~$8K in scholarships which seems impressive until you realize that it basically just covered my living expenses for one year.

I am from MN so I don't know first hand how difficult it is to get IS tuition. You have to be proactive about it and it used to be very subjective (ie no hard and fast rules, do x y and z and you get it) but I have heard rumors that it is becoming slightly easier.

Honestly, you can PM me with any questions, but I would go where it's cheapest. You have to make opportunities for yourself wherever you go to vet school and you can come out with the education you want at any vet school so long as you are proactive about getting it. The cost is something that will follow you after vet school, even if it is your parents' money, that money could be better spent purchasing a functioning car after you graduate or putting a down payment on a house somewhere.

Thank you so much for your input. I have decided to go to my instate school to save my family the trouble of an immense debt, and to use any money I save by investing in various experiences and workshops/symposiums/etc! It was hard to let go because of the good memories I had in Minnesota during the interview period, but I'm sure I'll have other opportunities to work with awesome people from Minnesota CVM! 🙂 thanks, and wich you all good luck in vet school!
 
Does anyone here know if we are allowed to take prerequisite classes (in my case Statistics) for a pass/no pass rather than a letter grade? Thanks!
 
Does anyone here know if we are allowed to take prerequisite classes (in my case Statistics) for a pass/no pass rather than a letter grade? Thanks!
A quick glance at their guidelines state that it must be an A-F scale unless only offered as pass/fail, so I imagine since most stats are graded, they wouldn't be happy with it. Best bet is to always contact admissions on something like this. 🙂

From brochure:
All prerequisite courses must be graded at a C– or better and evaluated with A-F grading, unless only offered as pass-fail. Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and International Baccalaureate (IB) credits are acceptable if documented on an undergraduate transcript.
 
Does anyone here know if we are allowed to take prerequisite classes (in my case Statistics) for a pass/no pass rather than a letter grade? Thanks!

Look at that, Lupin did the work for you!

Dunno. @kcoughli might know.
I had no clue. Would've recommended contacting the admissions peeps but then Lupin went ahead and did the research for them. Props to her.
 
Well I officially put down a deposit at Tufts since I'm not willing to risk not going to school in the fall but am really hoping to get a call from Minnesota next week. Only circumstance in which I would be happy to lose that much money!
 
So I've moved up on the (non-resident) waitlist a bit, but not as much as I was hoping. Since the Accept Deadline was on 4/15, does that mean that there will now not be very much movement on the waitlist?
 
Last edited:
While this makes me hopeful :soexcited: why do people decline their IS admission? It seems unlikely to me that 20 people would decline IS tuition.

People decline their IS tuition at the U of MN because there are OOS schools that cost the same or cheaper. The year I applied (for C/O 2018) they made it into the 30s.
 
So I've moved up on the (non-resident) waitlist a bit, but not as much as I was hoping. Since the Accept Deadline was on 4/15, does that mean that there will now not be very much movement on the waitlist?

It will continue to move over spring/summer. They iterate through the offer/accept-decline process several times.

How much it moves is anyone's guess, though.

People decline their IS tuition at the U of MN because there are OOS schools that cost the same or cheaper. The year I applied (for C/O 2018) they made it into the 30s.

Yup. At the time I started I could have gone to Wisconsin OOS for much cheaper than UMN IS. I always felt like that was a slap in the face.

I went to MN because I have a wife and kids and a house here. My kids have friends and are in a good school. My wife has friends. Etc.

Had I been young and less rooted, I would have gone elsewhere to avoid UMN's price tag. Excellent school, great staff, great facilities, nice location ...... ridiculous price tag. And they just keep doing almost nothing to deal with it. They are overpriced compared to other vet schools and sooner or later it is going to really start hurting them in terms of applicant pool. I love the school and don't want to see that happen. The steps they've taken have gone the right way, but aren't anywhere nearly enough.

Meanwhile, the dean of the school has seen his salary grow (if you view it over several years) at a nice hefty percentage that outpaces tuition increase. I don't really care that the guy makes a lot of money -- good on him for turning his degree into a money maker, and he is a great guy. It does bother me that his salary has increased dramatically at a time the school's tuition has been out of control. Seems to me one of his primary deliverables ought to be keeping tuition in check; and since he hasn't done that, he doesn't deserve to have a dramatic raise as a reward. He obviously has a multitude of responsibilities, but keeping tuition down to ensure a good applicant pool strikes me as one of the most important.

And this is an interesting statistic (from the MN Daily):
College of Veterinary Medicine, 71 faculty, $119,678
College of Pharmacy, 84 faculty, $109,743
Medical School, 920 faculty, $96,375

Avg CVM faculty salary is more than $20k/yr higher than the medical school, and $10k/yr higher than the Pharm school. Why do our faculty cost so much more?

It boils down to a lot more than salaries, obviously. But those are some interesting numbers that make you wonder what the heck is up.

One nice thing is that UMN has steadily invested reasonable amounts of money into their facilities. They haven't whomped millions into some unnecessary new building recently - but they've gutted and refurbished an old wooden study carrel room into a modern group learning environment ... renovated one of (or both?) the first/second-yr classrooms ... remodeled student surgery with new tables, lighting, and an overhead camera at the demonstration table that projects onto drop-down ceiling monitors ... things that in the big picture aren't huge expenses but go a ways into making life better for students and faculty. I appreciate that approach. The anatomy lab is straight out of the 50's - I wouldn't be surprised if that gets attention in the next 5 years. I dunno. But they do chop away with manageable projects regularly, and I admire that.

But the tuition problem needs to be fixed, and it's going to take help from the greater university.

And the concept of graduates donating to help fund scholarships .... that's going to get worse, not better. The more debt-ridden your graduates, the less they're going to be able to give back to help the next generation.
 
It will continue to move over spring/summer. They iterate through the offer/accept-decline process several times.

How much it moves is anyone's guess, though.



Yup. At the time I started I could have gone to Wisconsin OOS for much cheaper than UMN IS. I always felt like that was a slap in the face.

I went to MN because I have a wife and kids and a house here. My kids have friends and are in a good school. My wife has friends. Etc.

Had I been young and less rooted, I would have gone elsewhere to avoid UMN's price tag. Excellent school, great staff, great facilities, nice location ...... ridiculous price tag. And they just keep doing almost nothing to deal with it. They are overpriced compared to other vet schools and sooner or later it is going to really start hurting them in terms of applicant pool. I love the school and don't want to see that happen. The steps they've taken have gone the right way, but aren't anywhere nearly enough.

Meanwhile, the dean of the school has seen his salary grow (if you view it over several years) at a nice hefty percentage that outpaces tuition increase. I don't really care that the guy makes a lot of money -- good on him for turning his degree into a money maker, and he is a great guy. It does bother me that his salary has increased dramatically at a time the school's tuition has been out of control. Seems to me one of his primary deliverables ought to be keeping tuition in check; and since he hasn't done that, he doesn't deserve to have a dramatic raise as a reward. He obviously has a multitude of responsibilities, but keeping tuition down to ensure a good applicant pool strikes me as one of the most important.

And this is an interesting statistic (from the MN Daily):
College of Veterinary Medicine, 71 faculty, $119,678
College of Pharmacy, 84 faculty, $109,743
Medical School, 920 faculty, $96,375

Avg CVM faculty salary is more than $20k/yr higher than the medical school, and $10k/yr higher than the Pharm school. Why do our faculty cost so much more?

It boils down to a lot more than salaries, obviously. But those are some interesting numbers that make you wonder what the heck is up.

One nice thing is that UMN has steadily invested reasonable amounts of money into their facilities. They haven't whomped millions into some unnecessary new building recently - but they've gutted and refurbished an old wooden study carrel room into a modern group learning environment ... renovated one of (or both?) the first/second-yr classrooms ... remodeled student surgery with new tables, lighting, and an overhead camera at the demonstration table that projects onto drop-down ceiling monitors ... things that in the big picture aren't huge expenses but go a ways into making life better for students and faculty. I appreciate that approach. The anatomy lab is straight out of the 50's - I wouldn't be surprised if that gets attention in the next 5 years. I dunno. But they do chop away with manageable projects regularly, and I admire that.

But the tuition problem needs to be fixed, and it's going to take help from the greater university.

And the concept of graduates donating to help fund scholarships .... that's going to get worse, not better. The more debt-ridden your graduates, the less they're going to be able to give back to help the next generation.


To add to this, you can look on previous years thread. I did get into the the U of MN as IS from the waitlist. I am at Iowa State because it was cheaper when you factor in the cost of living. Also, at Iowa State my class and there might be one other class that fits in this, MN makes up the highest proportion of OOS students that are non-contract. There are 9 MN residents in my class. Also, there are ND and SD students in my class as well (granted a lot of them get a contract with ISU and get IS tuition).
 
It will continue to move over spring/summer. They iterate through the offer/accept-decline process several times.

How much it moves is anyone's guess, though.



Yup. At the time I started I could have gone to Wisconsin OOS for much cheaper than UMN IS. I always felt like that was a slap in the face.

I went to MN because I have a wife and kids and a house here. My kids have friends and are in a good school. My wife has friends. Etc.

Had I been young and less rooted, I would have gone elsewhere to avoid UMN's price tag. Excellent school, great staff, great facilities, nice location ...... ridiculous price tag. And they just keep doing almost nothing to deal with it. They are overpriced compared to other vet schools and sooner or later it is going to really start hurting them in terms of applicant pool. I love the school and don't want to see that happen. The steps they've taken have gone the right way, but aren't anywhere nearly enough.

Meanwhile, the dean of the school has seen his salary grow (if you view it over several years) at a nice hefty percentage that outpaces tuition increase. I don't really care that the guy makes a lot of money -- good on him for turning his degree into a money maker, and he is a great guy. It does bother me that his salary has increased dramatically at a time the school's tuition has been out of control. Seems to me one of his primary deliverables ought to be keeping tuition in check; and since he hasn't done that, he doesn't deserve to have a dramatic raise as a reward. He obviously has a multitude of responsibilities, but keeping tuition down to ensure a good applicant pool strikes me as one of the most important.

And this is an interesting statistic (from the MN Daily):
College of Veterinary Medicine, 71 faculty, $119,678
College of Pharmacy, 84 faculty, $109,743
Medical School, 920 faculty, $96,375

Avg CVM faculty salary is more than $20k/yr higher than the medical school, and $10k/yr higher than the Pharm school. Why do our faculty cost so much more?

It boils down to a lot more than salaries, obviously. But those are some interesting numbers that make you wonder what the heck is up.

One nice thing is that UMN has steadily invested reasonable amounts of money into their facilities. They haven't whomped millions into some unnecessary new building recently - but they've gutted and refurbished an old wooden study carrel room into a modern group learning environment ... renovated one of (or both?) the first/second-yr classrooms ... remodeled student surgery with new tables, lighting, and an overhead camera at the demonstration table that projects onto drop-down ceiling monitors ... things that in the big picture aren't huge expenses but go a ways into making life better for students and faculty. I appreciate that approach. The anatomy lab is straight out of the 50's - I wouldn't be surprised if that gets attention in the next 5 years. I dunno. But they do chop away with manageable projects regularly, and I admire that.

But the tuition problem needs to be fixed, and it's going to take help from the greater university.

And the concept of graduates donating to help fund scholarships .... that's going to get worse, not better. The more debt-ridden your graduates, the less they're going to be able to give back to help the next generation.
Just sent @LetItSnow a $10 Amazon gift card for this extremely helpful post. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thought people on the OOS wait list might be interested to know that I gave up my OOS spot! Hope someone's day is made 🙂


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the update! I called earlier and learned the OOS waitlist position hasn't changed since April 15th. Nice to know it'll move at least one spot soon.
 
I feel like such a super nerd but I can't decide between the electives we are offered. I don't want to overwhelm myself by taking too many but I'm not sure if they're offered after 1st semester. Anybody want to weigh in on how much extra work taking electives is and on what they took?
 
I feel like such a super nerd but I can't decide between the electives we are offered. I don't want to overwhelm myself by taking too many but I'm not sure if they're offered after 1st semester. Anybody want to weigh in on how much extra work taking electives is and on what they took?

Minimal extra work. A number of people did all the electives first year with no problem.

Caveat: I was under the old curriculum. Not sure which electives are offered when under the new curriculum.

But I wouldn't stress over it. If it interests you or might be useful later, do it.
 
I feel like such a super nerd but I can't decide between the electives we are offered. I don't want to overwhelm myself by taking too many but I'm not sure if they're offered after 1st semester. Anybody want to weigh in on how much extra work taking electives is and on what they took?
Some are some aren't. If you have any desire at all to go abroad and do vet stuff during a summer or a break or a rotation take the international class, if you have any interest in taking a zoo class 2nd year take the intro to non-domestic class, I can't remember the other electives but if you want to PM me we can talk about them 🙂
 
Does anyone know which textbooks are important to purchase and which you can pass on? I know I saw somewhere that the majority of textbooks on the list aren't really necessary but I don't recall where/who I heard that from
 
Does anyone know which textbooks are important to purchase and which you can pass on? I know I saw somewhere that the majority of textbooks on the list aren't really necessary but I don't recall where/who I heard that from

At least when I went through, I can't think of a single textbook that was truly necessary. But I'm "old curriculum," so I couldn't promise that's still true.

I personally feel like an anatomy book is very useful. Miller's dissection book was also useful. By the time you get to Clin Path, it is worthwhile to have one or two Clin Path books - but there are many to choose from (not to mention eclinpath.com, Cornell's super awesome website), so you are well served by hitting up the vet library to check them out before buying any.

I like the physiology textbook, but I feel like more people disliked it and found it useless than liked it.

Personally, I would be fussy about what books you buy. Check them out in the library first and make sure you really feel like you need it. The books I use now in practice - other than my anatomy book, which I still use - are completely different than the textbooks I used in school. And some (like my surgery text and my cytology book) are things that I waited until after I was in practice to buy. You get a better sense of what you'll need after you're actually practicing, so it makes sense to try and defer the purchasing until then (or at least until graduation - books make good graduation gifts).
 
Last edited:
Does anyone know which textbooks are important to purchase and which you can pass on? I know I saw somewhere that the majority of textbooks on the list aren't really necessary but I don't recall where/who I heard that from
The Dissection of the Dog book was literally the only one I ever even cracked open in my first 3 years. I bought others... that sat on the desk at home collecting dust. But I rarely read textbooks in undergrad as well, it's just not my style. If you tend to enjoy reading them then maybe you'll want to invest in some of the "required" textbooks. If not, do the "wait and see" method.
 
@kcoughli, have you had any dual degree students rejoin the curriculum during your year? Was it weird to have a new person? I'm doing the concurrent track and I'm a little on the shy side, so the thought of leaving my class and rejoining another is a little intimidating.
 
@kcoughli, have you had any dual degree students rejoin the curriculum during your year? Was it weird to have a new person? I'm doing the concurrent track and I'm a little on the shy side, so the thought of leaving my class and rejoining another is a little intimidating.
Yep we had one join us 3rd year. It was kind of strange and he definitely doesn't have the same camaraderie or sense of familiarity with the rest of us BUT it's not like we exclude him or anything, he's definitely "one of us" now. Personally though I couldn't do the split one, the lecture years build up off each other and I feel like taking a break in the middle would definitely throw me off. I think you can do it DVM->PhD instead of DV->PhD->M... if that makes sense. Personally I'd rather go that route but to each their own
 
I would really wait to buy textbooks. See how the classes go and definitely take a look at the books in the vet med library before you buy. Most of the them I hardly ever used. I cracked open that Dissection of the Dog book like 3 times before I completely stopped using it by October. Personally, I hated it. But I know a lot of people liked it and thought it was helpful. I used Pasquini's Anatomy of Domestic Animals all of the time my first year though. It helped me both fall and spring semester because it covered large and small animal anatomy (Dissection of the Dog is just small animal, so not very useful spring semester when you study only large animal anatomy).
 
Last edited: