Minnesota- TC envelope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nona1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't find this info... would someone be kind enough to share what size the accept/reject/wl envelopes are? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

nona1 said:
I can't find this info... would someone be kind enough to share what size the accept/reject/wl envelopes are? Thanks...

The acceptance package was big, but first I got a call at work from Dr. Becker. Good luck!!

Anybody here who interviewed with Dr. Steven Miles at University of Minnesota? He seems to be a big name and wondering if he is easy to talk to.
Also, those of you who were accepted/interviewed there, how would you rate the school: Outstanding/great/good/mediocre/bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.Quiet said:
Also, those of you who were accepted/interviewed there, how would you rate the school: Outstanding/great/good/mediocre/bad?

UofM Med School: Great history. Uncertain future.

k-monger said:
UofM Med School: Great history. Uncertain future.
What are your concerns about the future?

I would also like to know about the school's future - haven't heard anything
liverotcod said:

Paragozardelsol said:
I want to know too!

Anyone have any ideas about whether out of staters have the same chance for acceptance as in staters post interview?

And also curious about future issues, definitely didn't hear anything about uncertainty during interview day.

What did you guys think of your interview day? Mine was a little weird overall... Are you guys thinking of going? Anyone here have MN as their top choice? Are all of you in-staters?

liverotcod said:

See you interviewed as oos on the 24th of Jan, have you still not heard yet? Also, did you hear anything about oos chances vs. in staters post interview? I was only one of maybe a few oos on my interview day, about 13 others were in staters. Same for you?

As we all know, the UofM med school has a history as a prestigous public school and a home of medical innovation. As a kid I grew up dreaming of attending the UofM Med School. And then the "Gov" took office and cut public funding to the U. Since then the U has been seeking solutions to fill the gap in its budget--that hole has been filled by students' tuition which has gone through the roof. Meantime, some top faculty have left (including the dean whose position was left open for quite some time) and the medical school's reputation has suffered. The quality of the education (or matriculants) has floundered as evidenced by the steadily declining USMLE step 1and2 scores over the last few years. This summarizes what concerns me most.
On the bright side, the school has secured a new dean--an excellent one, from what I've heard. The med school has been making huge strides by securing alternate sources of revenue and support. The school's research facilities are new and incredible, and the U is entering a research partnership with the Mayo. This indicates that the school is recovering and will likely regain the status it once had. However, the school can't possibly recover by next year when I would be attending the U. Thus, I cannot justify paying one of the highest tuitions of any public school to receive an education from in institution trying to reconstruct itself. So, if I were entering med school ten years earlier or ten years later, I would probably have the same penchant for the UofM med school that I had as a child.
p.s. I will always love the Gophers!

k-monger said:
then the "Gov" took office and cut public funding to the U.
What is it with Minnesota and governors? Seriously, first a professional wrestler and then a Republican in one of the bluest states in the US? It's just weird. Thanks for the info, though. :thumbup:

k-monger made some really great points, but here are some additional positive bits:

Yes, they have cut the budget several times in the last few years but the proposed budget for next year has a big increase:

St. Paul, Minn. — Gov. Tim Pawlenty says his proposal is a priority-based budget. For the University of Minnesota, that means funding key research activities in the amount of $113 million in new money, a 10 percent increase over the last budget cycle.

Pawlenty's recommendations include $36 million for the U's biosciences initiative, and another $50 million for faculty, student and researcher recruiting and retention. He also proposes $15 million be split between the U and the Mayo Foundation for its biotech and genomics partnership.

k-monger also pointed out the tuition increases. Well, the U of MN medical school freezes tuition when you matriculate. It will not go up.

The U of MN is also rolling out a new strategic positioning campaign with the goal of making the U of MN one of the top three research universities in the world (it is already in the top ten).

The President's remarks set the stage to introduce the next phase in the strategic positioning process begun last summer, which sets forth the goal of making the University one of the top three public research universities in the world within the next decade.

Here is the web site.

Also here is a link to the "State of the Medical School" address given by the Dean.

No doubt the school is in a period of change and I am confident that the change will be very positive as the school has a renewed backing from the governor, an excellent new dean, and a university president that is committed to making the medical school a world-class institution.

I'm in at Minnesota! Got the call last night. Now, for the decision-making :oops:

liverotcod said:
I'm in at Minnesota! Got the call last night. Now, for the decision-making :oops:

Congrats!

Minnesota has a lot of pros, but if you have to pay out of state tuition...yikes! :eek:

As a fellow non-trad with a family (well, wife and pets), let me know if you have any questions about life in MN (I forget, were you or your wife from here?)

dnelsen said:
Congrats!

Minnesota has a lot of pros, but if you have to pay out of state tuition...yikes! :eek:

As a fellow non-trad with a family (well, wife and pets), let me know if you have any questions about life in MN (I forget, were you or your wife from here?)
You know, the in-state tuition isn't all that great, either :(
I was thinking that I would try the TA/Research Assistant loophole if I attend Minnesota, but I don't know if that's a sure thing, or competitive. I asked on interview day and the answer was vague.

My wife and I are both from Eau Claire, Wisconsin - 90 miles to the east. UMN-TC is the closest school to our parents.

What's housing like? I'm thinking I would rent for 6 months or a year to get to know the area better, then consider making a purchase. But what areas whould I be looking at in terms of purchase? What about renting?

Or if you have a couple spare bedrooms, we'll come live with you! :laugh: