2023-2024 Minnesota

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know what the pre-clinical style of exams are? NBME?
I asked this of someone privately earlier. Here is the response I received:

Exams are in-house "NBME style," but honestly I disagree with the school that they're NBME style. Way shorter, simpler, and more direct questions, but the occasional really obscure piece of information that a lecturer mentioned in the foot notes in a slide does become a question. Not common, but it happened a few times.
 
Does anyone have any advice for the virtual interview/MMI?
It was honestly the best interview experience I had, low stress and plenty of time to think through the MMI questions. Just do some research on the school for the traditional one and be yourself for the MMI. Best of luck!
 
Anyone know when accepted applicants will get more details/info about admitted students day?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I see. You are probably right regarding the contract and the U buying it out.

Exactly, especially for competitive programs (derm, plastics, surg, ent). If anyone has information regarding the LOR "prestige" it would be intriguing to know.

I'm not super concerned, but I'm thinking of my "pros" and "cons" list for each school.
I would not bank on the U buying out any hospital. The financial situation of UMN’s hospital and clinic system has been shaky (at best) for years. Sanford has made multiple bids and Fairview seemed to desire the MHealth-Fairview partnership to be a bridge for a larger acquirer (Sanford or some sort of private equity). UMN obviously does not want Sanford as they have stated publicly, and Fairview has recently elected to not renew their contract. I won’t speculate on how much those two events are connected.

I do not know about the prestige component, and I have no idea how much rotations will be affected in the future (if at all). All I know is that MHealth is absolutely not a financial rock.
FYI - Fairview Health Services and University of Minnesota sign Letter of Intent for transformative next chapter of their partnership
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad