Minnesota vs. MWU-AZ vs. Roseman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ifitfitsyourmolars

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

So I was fortunate enough to have been accepted to 3 schools yesterday and am still on edge about what school I should attend. For background, I'm from CA so all schools are OOS so cost is currently not a factor because they're all roughly extremely expensive. I'm extremely interested in OMFS and have been working as a surgical assistant for the last half year so I would like to have the best opportunity at that.

University of Minnesota
My first interview and I love the campus and environment that was presented at UMN.

Pros
- Collegiate environment and awesome campus
- facilities and clinical experience seemed to be at a premium
- strong basic science education (CBSE) and lecture based curriculum (definitely a lecture-learner)
- has an OMFS program with 4/5 residents per year so procedure #s are high to shadow/assist on if i'm able to continue
- strong research base as well (I was offered a summer research scholarship pre-D1 from May-June) and is something I wish to continue for my own satisfaction and app strengthening
- large patient base, students didn't seem to struggle meeting competencies and felt they had enough cases to go around
- big on community service and community clnics

Cons
- far from home and completely different environment
- $$$$$ - about 470k
- largish class size (111)
- difficult cases get referred to specialty programs

Midwestern University - Arizona

Pros
- 5 hour drive from home
- modern campus and beautiful facilities, super high tech
- strong clinical experience, super strong emphasis and all the students seemed very happy with their clinical training
- operative within 1st quarter!
- no departments so ability to connect with faculty from all speciaties
- no specialties so get to tackle difficult cases
- strong community service emphasis
- large patient base and people often said there were too many patients!
- New research and ability to get involved and lead projects

Cons
- even more $$$$$$$$$$ - 540k
- lacking OMFS department to shadow and rub elbows
- hot
- unsure of rigor of program for prepping for cbse

Roseman University

Pros
- Location is really nice, 2 hr flight from home
- block schedule, students said studying was light and super manageable
- p/f @ 90% is super attractive, though i heard they still internally rank for specializing
- early clinical experience
- faculty seem super approachable and open to mentorship
- same comment as MWU with no specialties and being able to see difficult cases

Cons
- more $$$$$$$$$$$ though less than MWU, comparable to UMN
- lacking OMFS department to shadow and rub elbows
- unsure about rigor of program, heard someone who had taken the CBSE at Roseman that the curriculum was severely lacking in comparison to the exam

Thanks again everyone for reading and I'd love to hear any and all opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it important for specializing that your school has that department? I have heard different opinions ...

I was also accepted to both Midwestern-AZ and Minnesota (and NYU).. taking cost out of the equation, I am finding it so difficult to weigh the options. Midwestern seemed very strong clinically, had a great sense of community and was very high tech like you mentioned. Minnesota was bigger on research, which could be more helpful for specializing in the future.

Go to wherever laker tickets will be cheapest. This would probably be Midwestern since the suns are turrrable

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, Minnesota is a great place to live! From what you said, it is super far from home but it is a great and vibrant metropolitan area. The winters are tough but honestly, nothing can beat Minnesota summers! I am friends with a few current dental students at MN and although the class size is large 110, they say that there is a ton of community among the students. Like you said there is a large patient base as there are two huge metropolitan cities right next to each other (Minneapolis and St. Paul). There won't ever be a problem with finding patients. Also, research is pretty big here and congrats on getting the research position that would look good on specialty apps later on if you so choose. I am from Minnesota and have accepted my position there. I love this state and school. Let me know if you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them. Just shoot me a message.

Reactions: 1 user