Minor Color-Blind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MY214

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question just struck me today!!
Can people who have minor color-blindness (minor red-green color blind) go to vet school and become vet?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

This question just struck me today!!
Can people who have minor color-blindness (minor red-green color blind) go to vet school and become vet?:confused:
Yes. Our teacher 1st year was telling us the story of how they had a color blind vet student in their histology class. The problem was that he didn't inform the teachers that he was in fact color blind and couldn't distinguish the different colors of stains. They went on to tell us that if we were color blind, they really just needed to know so they could make some accommodations for testing purposes.

Good question : \

You may want to email school admissions departments

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see why not. I've worked for some vets who have mild red green color blindness and they are fantastic!

They went on to tell us that if we were color blind, they really just needed to know so they could make some accommodations for testing purposes.

So, people with mild color blind are not actually "Banned" from becoming a vet, right? They may just have some trouble when learning?

I am color-blind (though I prefer to call it color-confused because the issue with color blindness is not being able to see color, but rather not being able to differentiate color). I have issues with red-green-brown and blue-purple-gray.

I was forthright about the disability on my application to one of the schools I was admitted to (Western) but didn't mention it to the others. I really don't think it is going to affect me too much. I survived micro with a professor who was colorblind (he also wrote one of my LORs) and I plan to bring it up with Davis to get it documented in case I need someone special to assist me (in labs or exams) by tell me if something is green or brown, blue or purple, that kind of thing...

It's been a tough road in the sciences - more frustrating than anything else - because most professors teach as if everyone can see color. Sometimes it helps to remind them that colorblindness exists.

Oh...and I'm female, so, if you took genetics, you know exactly how rare that is :D

I'm sure you'll be completely fine. Just be sure to document it. I taught with a grad student who is color blind and the only time it was even really noticed was when we had to use pH strips and we had to read them for him. I would think that in vet school it will only be an issue during histology labs when different stains are used. You'll be fine!

Yeah...I agree - pH strips, stains, etc... Those are hard for me, but I'll survive... :)

One of the vets I work with is the first vet to be admitted to vet school and graduate as a paraplegic. She's quite inspirational! :)

So, people with mild color blind are not actually "Banned" from becoming a vet, right?

Nope; I've worked with two color blind vets...it may be a small hindrance, but they have managed just fine.

One of the vets I work with is the first vet to be admitted to vet school and graduate as a paraplegic. She's quite inspirational! :)

Wow! Go, her!

A guy in our class is almost completely color blind. He'll hold up a pink and blue marker and think they're the same color. He never told our Histo teachers and still did very well in the class. The only time he had to tell a teacher was Clin Path because he couldn't tell if cells had nuclei or not. They just came by and drew him little pictures and he did just as good in that class. So, a hindrance, maybe, but it's not going to stop you from being a good veterinarian (or student).

A guy in our class is almost completely color blind. He'll hold up a pink and blue marker and think they're the same color. He never told our Histo teachers and still did very well in the class. The only time he had to tell a teacher was Clin Path because he couldn't tell if cells had nuclei or not. They just came by and drew him little pictures and he did just as good in that class. So, a hindrance, maybe, but it's not going to stop you from being a good veterinarian (or student).

I have a med-student friend who is color blind, and he gets no compensation in histology what-so-ever and is doing quite well. He told the histo teacher (given that he can't see red, purple, blue, pink etc.) and he was told "some of the best histopathologists I knew were color blind, learn to deal with it." and he has.

One of my favorite vets that I've worked for is color blind. We have a hilarious time teasing him about pink top tubes(purple top cbc tubes), and he taught me more about reading blood smears than the histopath book did. Somehow I think you'll do just fine. :D

My dad is red-green color blind. He actually has issues with traffic lights and only knows what color it is based on the order of lights not the color. He also needs our help to determine if meat is brown or pink when he is cooking :). You will find ways to cope like my Dad and I bet you will do just fine :thumbup:

A vet i volenteerd with was completely color blind, and he has almost no problems as a practising vet. So the consensus of me and everyone posting above seems to be that color-blindness really isn't a large problem for this proffession.

Yes, a vet that I had classes (he taught at my high school) with was color blind and it didnt stop him. He ended up opening a huge equine clinic in New Hampshire. So it is entirely possible:)

Last edited: