Minority Medical Student interested in RadOnc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuzzLightYear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm a 3rd year medical student attending med school in the US at a med school without a RadOnc program. Are any US minority medical students applying to Radiation Oncology this year? If so, could you tell me more about your experience thus far. Do you feel that it's harder to get into RadOnc as a minority student? And does anyone know the percentages of minority RadOnc physicians in the US?

These may not be valid questions to ask, but being a minority medical student, I feel I need a better perspective of RadOnc field.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I've ever heard an instance where a minority background made a difference either way. Some minorities I can think of who had trouble were graduates of foreign schools, but of course that is a different problem. Coming from a school with no program could potentially be a speedbump but doesn't have to be, depending on how you approach away rotations.

actually i think you'd be very hard pressed to find a disadvantage being a minority, depending upon your definition (if you mean under represented in medicine in general or in radonc at least). many places want more diversity.
Hello everyone.

I'm a 3rd year medical student attending med school in the US at a med school without a RadOnc program. Are any US minority medical students applying to Radiation Oncology this year? If so, could you tell me more about your experience thus far. Do you feel that it's harder to get into RadOnc as a minority student? And does anyone know the percentages of minority RadOnc physicians in the US?

These may not be valid questions to ask, but being a minority medical student, I feel I need a better perspective of RadOnc field.