Mizzou applicants c/o 2015?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My mom came with me, and she and another applicant's mom had a huge mom-bonding-fest. They took photos of everything with their iphones, and made us uncomfortably stand in front of everything that said "vet school" or "Missouri" on it. :)

:laugh: Adorable!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I'm an IS Mizzou applicant... my interview is March 7th (and my last name starts with S, since that's been a topic). I'm getting nervous... I also applied to KSU and got waitlisted there, so I am really banking on MU. EEK.

Has anyone on here interviewed before? I looked up the questions here on SDN and they seem pretty straightforward. I feel like my interview may have held me back at Kansas so I want to be ultra-prepared and confident at Mizzou.

My academics and animal experience are pretty strong, but my vet experience may be lacking compared to some, and then there's the interview thing. Normally I can talk my way into (or out of!) anything, sell poop in a brown paper sack, etc, but I was just so nervous at KSU.

I'm so anxious I feel like I am going to pop out of my skin.

They are very nice, I promise. They cracked some jokes, I cracked some. They aren't trying to set you up to fail. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
do any current students have any links to look for housing? I am getting really excited about my acceptance and I am trying to look for some possible places to live but I am having a little bit of a hard time finding good websites...

thanks!:D

There is a lot of housing but it can get a little trickier if you're bringing pets with you. Cats are pretty easy, dogs can be trickier.

As you get closer people from both your class and upper classmen will use te email system to send out 'need a roommate!' emails so you can find some good deals that way.

It also depends on if you want a roommate or not....I live alone and really love it that way. So nice to avoid roommate drama, etc with all the stress of school!

A couple of places to check out (a lot of people in our class live in these areas...):

The Cottages
DBC Rentals
Dexter Management
Brookside
Katy Apartments
Forest Village Apartments (I don't think they have a main website..)

Last edited:
There is a lot of housing but it can get a little trickier if you're bringing pets with you. Cats are pretty easy, dogs can be trickier.

As you get closer people from both your class and upper classmen will use te email system to send out 'need a roommate!' emails so you can find some good deals that way.

It also depends on if you want a roommate or not....I live alone and really love it that way. So nice to avoid roommate drama, etc with all the stress of school!

A couple of places to check out (a lot of people in our class live in these areas...):

The Cottages
DBC Rentals
Dexter Management
Brookside
Katy Apartments
Forest Village Apartments (I don't think they have a main website..)

Dang, those are the classy/expensive places. I feel like it's aimed at undergrads... is excessive pukey partying a problem in those areas?

I haven't noticed any where I live or when I visit friends in those apartments. Columbia is a college town so I'm sure it happens but the nicer areas tend to draw a little more mature crowd generally speaking. You can definitely tell the party complexes when you see them. Slum-esque parking and worn out buildings. There are tons of undergrads in columbia so no escaping them fully but the ones that live near me are great. I do pay a bit more since I don't have a roommate but keep in my mind that several of the above places include 100% of your utilities and sometimes furnishings too. I only listed a few...mainly the ones that ended up on my 'short' list when I was shopping but there are many other places around columbia.

There's an apartment complex in the area that only accepts grad/professional students that isn't bad just a little older than I liked personally. Can't remember the name of that one off the top of my head but its around the providence/nifong area I think.

I pay about $650-750/month (with all utilities included) for a 2 bedroom/2 bath with attached garage and fenced back yard plus washer/dryer in unit about 10 mins from campus just to give an idea. Most of my neighbors are graduate students or young professionals/families. Might be a little high but its a steal compared to the prices I'm used to and I admittedly have very high standards. You can easily find places for $300-400/month in columbia if you're willing to room with someone though. There are cheaper options if you want to live solo as well this one just happened to be exactly what I was looking for in a price range I could swing.

...And now back to studying for final number 6 on tuesday: anatomy! What a fun friday night! ;)

Last edited:
Mizzou2014... I am sort of familiar with Como, just not living there (lol-- I'm teh only one who ended up NOT going to Mizzou for my undergrad, so I do visit, and we use the teaching hospital for our own pets).

Anyway, your place: what is the pet policy? Because it sounds PERFECT for me (not that I am planning to steal your place haha). I would love to have a fenced yard for my puppies. And that price really isn't too bad, for living by yourself. Did you have the option of a roommate? Or subletting if you decide to?

Just trying to get a feel of the cost of living in Columbia vs. Manhattan (KS). I still don't even know where I am going yet.

Mizzou2014... I am sort of familiar with Como, just not living there (lol-- I'm teh only one who ended up NOT going to Mizzou for my undergrad, so I do visit, and we use the teaching hospital for our own pets).

Anyway, your place: what is the pet policy? Because it sounds PERFECT for me (not that I am planning to steal your place haha). I would love to have a fenced yard for my puppies. And that price really isn't too bad, for living by yourself. Did you have the option of a roommate? Or subletting if you decide to?

Just trying to get a feel of the cost of living in Columbia vs. Manhattan (KS). I still don't even know where I am going yet.

I don't really have a pet deposity b/c I rent from a private owner of my duplex who I found through my vets at home. The deal is no more than 4 dogs and I did pay a loose 'pet deposit' but it was almost nothing because I'm a vet student. I only have one dog and a cat so it's working out great so far. I can have a roommate if I want, I can sublet if I want (just have to let my land lord do a background check on the person first), etc.

If you want to bring your dogs and need the backyard (that was a requirement for me too) I know that 100% of all Dexter Management apartments have fenced backyard and they're pet friendly (up to 2 dogs I think). That was my backup if where I live now didn't work out. They fill up fast though. When I talked to the realtor about them last year when I was looking she said Dexter Management started up specifically because it was so hard to find pet friendly housing in Columbia.
They have different levels of housing and I would suggest Keene's Edge as first choice and Park's edge as second choice. The other locations are fine but more economy living and the surrounding areas made me a little nervous. I prefer living more on the South/SE/SW sides of town.

Last edited:
I'd also like to throw out Sentinel Properties for anyone with pets. I seriously love my duplex. Mine is 3 bed, 2 bath, 1300 square feet for $550/month (and they do have smaller units). I pay $25 extra per month because I have cats, and that is the only pet fee you pay. It takes the place of a hefty one time pet deposit, which was a great help to me when I moved here and was short on cash. On top of that, they have no breed restrictions, weight restrictions, or declaw restrictions, and you can have as many pets as the city will allow. There aren't any fenced in yards, but we do have large lawns and nearby dog parks.

Link for anyone who is interested: http://readosa.com/

ETA: One of my friends lives in a Parks Edge duplex (http://dextermanagement.com/parksedge.php), and it is lovely. She also has a fenced in backyard and has two cats and a dog. I'm not sure on all of their policies, but it sounds promising.

Hey, I'm an in-state applicant and my interview is on March 14th. Really nervous here, especially since my other interview only had two people judging me and this one has SIX! eek. how is 20 minutes enough to impressive six people? gah.

Also, I'm so terribly jealous of all you out-of-state people that already know and are looking for housing. :bang:

Thanks for all the info, guys!

Good luck, Freisian. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm an in-state applicant and my interview is on March 14th. Really nervous here, especially since my other interview only had two people judging me and this one has SIX! eek. how is 20 minutes enough to impressive six people? gah.

I had my interview this Wednesday and I only had 3 interviewers. It was their finals week, but you may not have 6 interviewers afterall.

Also, I'm so terribly jealous of all you out-of-state people that already know and are looking for housing. :bang:

6 interviewers?! Wow, why do they have more for in-state people? The OOS interviews were only 15 minutes long, and I agree that it was way too short! I fumbled on my words and was nervous in the beginning, but once I started to get comfortable my time was up!

At least for OOS interviews, they didn't try to trip you up or ask you anything to throw you off - they simply wanted to know about you and why you chose Mizzou :). Very low stress :thumbup:. Good luck!!

I reread my letter and I actually only have four interviewers, or so my letter says. (oops) I have no idea why I had six stuck in my head, but that's a huge relief. Four sounds much more reasonable than six. Thanks for making me reread that and the good luck wishes though :)

Just wanted to say thanks to those who posted housing suggestions! I'll be moving up to Como whether I get in or not so my fiancé and I need to start looking anyway. These will definitely come in handy.

If anyone is looking at living in a 1 br place, he is currently renting just a few miles from he school. It is geared toward undergrads but is relatively quiet and the rent is affordable and includes internet, cable, water, heating, cooling, etc. You can only have one pet though...

Hey everyone! I figured this thread needed some bumping. Even though I'm bummed that I got rejected from my IS school, Mizzou was my second choice and so I'm super excited to be attending in the fall. I just have a few quick questions though. Sorry if these have been asked before, and thanks in advance for anyone who answers...

In regards to obtaining IS tuition, in my acceptance letter it said that students may be considered for residency after one year. Does this mean that some students attempt to obtain residency but are denied? Or are you pretty much guaranteed IS tuition as long as you comply with the rules, ie. making at least $2000, getting a Missouri driver's license and voter registration.

Also, is it difficult to make $2000 while in vet school? From what I understand, vet students barely have time to sleep outside of classes and studying, let alone work.

On a different note, thanks to everyone who posted housing suggestions. Does anyone have any tips on finding roommates? I don't know a soul in Missouri, and I was really hoping to live with some other vet students.

Thanks again! :D

My fiancé made the switch to IS in MO during undergrad. He just did those things and got it without question. I don't think you are going to run into much trouble if you do what they say you need.

Mine is 3 bed, 2 bath, 1300 square feet for $550/month (and they do have smaller units).

Okay I was reading this because I don't know why (probably because procrastination time gets more desperate as exams get closer) and I looked at this and was all :eek: - I know there's a difference in cost of living but holy crap...

This type of thing here in Davis would be at least $1600.

edit: I paid $550/month for one room and shared bathroom in a place smaller than that but with same number of bed/bath.

For everyone that got the letter that said you may possibly be put on the alternate list, have you heard anything else since then?

I'm ignoring the very valid questions above only because I am basically brain dead and worthless for real information right now. I'll get back to that in a few days.

In the mean time:

Okay I was reading this because I don't know why (probably because procrastination time gets more desperate as exams get closer) and I looked at this and was all :eek: - I know there's a difference in cost of living but holy crap...

This type of thing here in Davis would be at least $1600.

edit: I paid $550/month for one room and shared bathroom in a place smaller than that but with same number of bed/bath.

No kidding! I have no idea how much I'd be paying for this exact layout in Florida, but when I was looking ~5 years ago, a one bedroom, one bathroom apartment (not a duplex with only one neighbor to worry about!) where I could not own pets and would not have had washer/dryer hook-ups would have cost me $700/month. Totally digging the midwest cost of living, if anyone is curious LOL. :cool:

EEEEKKK...

My interview is at 4:05. Who plans these times????

Wish me luck, and good luck to everyone else!

I'll let you all know how it went later tonight.

EEEEKKK...

My interview is at 4:05. Who plans these times????

Wish me luck, and good luck to everyone else!

I'll let you all know how it went later tonight.

My interview is at 3:05...haha I was laughing about the time too how weird!! I am starting to get soo nervous the drive down there is going to be killer!!

You guys will be great! Good luck!

In regards to obtaining IS tuition, in my acceptance letter it said that students may be considered for residency after one year. Does this mean that some students attempt to obtain residency but are denied?

Yes, there are a few who get denied, but only because they haven't followed the guidelines to gain residency properly. You are guaranteed to get it (for now) as long as you comply with the rules, thankfully.

the rules, ie. making at least $2000, getting a Missouri driver's license and voter registration.
Also, they will ask for proof that you have lived and worked here for the entire time you claim to (I had to show them my jobs' equivalent of pay stubs that went through the school year AND the summer), you CANNOT leave the state for more than 2 weeks in the summer (this does not include Christmas or Thanksgiving, and I'm not sure if it counts spring break or not), and if you own your car, you must have a Missouri license plate.

Also, is it difficult to make $2000 while in vet school? From what I understand, vet students barely have time to sleep outside of classes and studying, let alone work.
It isn't exactly easy to make the money, as I worked my ass off for it (in two jobs, no less), but it is doable for sure! I don't know why more people don't have jobs, at this point, because I think I would be bored without mine lol. That being said, you will have time to sleep (and plenty) if you make time for it. Vet school is only as restrictive as you make it, I find, and the better you are at prioritizing what you need and want to do every day, the better off you'll be when it comes to having time to study, sleep, and have a social life.

As for roommates, I'm a bad source for information because I simply can't live with people LOL. Once you get your email address set up, you'll be able to email your entire class, though, and there may be a Facebook group set up for your class already where you can post about that, as well. I'm sure there are other avenues for this, and Kathy Seay in the Dean's Office may have some good ideas for you, too, so try emailing her!

When are IS decisions sent out? Email? Snail mail? Phone call?

When are IS decisions sent out? Email? Snail mail? Phone call?

Last year they were sent out via snail mail roughly 2 weeks after interviews ended (around the end of March). Good luck everyone interviewing!

It wasn't bad! Not going to post too much info, but basically they just asked questions related to what I had on my app.

I walked out thinking "Yeah!" But now I am doing the post-interview freak-out. Going to take some Benadryl because my whole face is itchy and I can't sleep for sneezing, and hopefully the by-product will be my falling asleep fast without running my interview over and over and over and over.

My mom overhead Kathy tell the next interviewee that she wanted all the scores in the computer by the weekend following the 14th, and that barring any catastrophes she was mailing the letters out on or before the 24th.

Sooo...... that's my spring break, which means I could have a FABULOUS break or a terrible one.

Yay me.

I've already been accepted and barring a drastic change of mind in the next couple weeks, I will also be starting in the fall.

I've managed to figure most of what I need to know out already but like everybody else, housing...

I don't know anybody in Columbia either, I could like with somebody or by myself. My main issue I need to work around is my husky. So once I get a living situation that doesnt see huskies as "aggressive breeds", I'm golden. THOUGHTS?

And she really isn't aggressive with anything except her tongue.

I've already been accepted and barring a drastic change of mind in the next couple weeks, I will also be starting in the fall.

I've managed to figure most of what I need to know out already but like everybody else, housing...

I don't know anybody in Columbia either, I could like with somebody or by myself. My main issue I need to work around is my husky. So once I get a living situation that doesnt see huskies as "aggressive breeds", I'm golden. THOUGHTS?

And she really isn't aggressive with anything except her tongue.

I have never heard of a place with breed restrictions against huskies specifically, but you might have issues with your dog's weight. A lot of places in town won't allow dogs over 35 lbs all the way down to 25 lbs, so I recommend hunting for apartments and rental agencies early. It's possible to find places without weight restrictions for dogs (my duplex is an example), but it is much more common to see those restrictions.

Good luck on your hunt, and welcome to Mizzou!

Giving this thread a bump to see how everyones IS interviews went?? Mine was on the 7th, and it was not what i expected but not bad either!! The last interviews are on the 16th so good luck to anyone left...I can't believe we'll have decisions in 1-2 weeks the days are DRAGGING!! :confused:

Has anyone created a Facebook group for MU CVM c/o 2015 yet? If so, can you PM the name of the group? If not, I can make one so we can discuss housing and all that kind of stuff.

For you ISers: waiting is the worst part! Hang in there a little longer!

You're not alone, Krist!! I am getting very anxious as well. Spring break needs to hurry up and get here.

Alright, so I created a facebook group! The name of the group is: MU CVM class of 2015. Anyone who knows (or is fairly certain) that they will be attending Mizzou in the fall feel free to join!

Alright, so I created a facebook group! The name of the group is: MU CVM class of 2015. Anyone who knows (or is fairly certain) that they will be attending Mizzou in the fall feel free to join!

Soo I just saw the facebook group and saw your pic from the lioness spaying at Town and Country...I shadowed there this summer too! How weird is that...we obviously never crossed paths! And I was going to be at that OHE but moved to St Louis a couple days before!!

I joined. My identity is now known. :eek:

Had my interview yesterday and I was told decisions for in-state applicants are definitely going to be mailed out next week, I just want to know already :(

Next week? Mailed? Can't they just give us a day like WesternU did and then email us earlier???

Next week? Mailed? Can't they just give us a day like WesternU did and then email us earlier???

That would be soo nice...dang snail mail! If you get in Mohorsegirl are going to mizzou or western?? Congrats on getting into Western btw!

I've convinced myself that it means they won't mail them until the 25th, so I won't get the letter until the week after. This way, I will be (hopefully) pleasantly surprised if it gets there earlier than that.

That would be soo nice...dang snail mail! If you get in Mohorsegirl are going to mizzou or western?? Congrats on getting into Western btw!

Thanks. I'm definitely going to Mizzou if I get in. I love Western's program (and the "respect for life" motto- ie, no terminal surgeries on healthy animals), but I don't know how I'd ever live that far away from my favorite people here. Plus, Mizzou is much, much cheaper. AND, I like their equine program.

Phew, all interviews done! This next week is going to seem like an eternity! Kathy said all notifications will be sent out snail mail most likely either Wednesday or Thursday of next week...gulp... :xf::xf::xf: Wishing all of us SDNers are classmates!! Good luck everyone!

Phew, all interviews done! This next week is going to seem like an eternity! Kathy said all notifications will be sent out snail mail most likely either Wednesday or Thursday of next week...gulp... :xf::xf::xf: Wishing all of us SDNers are classmates!! Good luck everyone!

Next Wednesday or Thursday that is FOREVER what is going to take so long?!?!?!?

Guys/gals/everyone.... letters get sent out this week.... EEEEEEK.

I have a test on Friday that I'm already done studying for. Now I get to just sit and wait. ::twiddles thumbs:: Anyone else having a terribly slow week??