Modern day slavery at UMKC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uicgrad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The PhD program and PharmD program are both housed within the "School of Pharmacy". While the students discussed in the article are PhD students, the professor (Dr. Mitra) also taught pharmacy students. Dr. Mitra taught Advanced Drug Delivery Systems at UMKC. Dr. Mukerji (the professor suing Mitra and the school) taught medicinal chemistry. Both professors are very well respected at the SOP. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not unusual for this kind of things to happen in the Eastern parts of the world. I had a friend who has to do little errands now and then for professor as interns. It is acceptable practice if professor does not go overboard. On the other hand, most student enjoy doing that as they are scoring favors. However, there are instances that students are compelled to do more with fear of possible bad marks on the records or other retaliations.

In the US, professor like any authority figures weld great power and need to be careful of what they ask and how things are construed. Something seems innocent may be interpreted differently if asked by position of power. With so much to lose as international students, how could anyone dare to decline any types of requests.

It is easy to say "you should have say something" but for international student who do not know our rules, laws or customs may not in position to make such objections.

I can understand the lack of collaboration on the story. Some hoping not to burn any bridges, others wanted to forget of the whole ordeal since they have graduated.

One question to ask here is if the professor ask students with other background doing the same tasks? If the professor only target specific group of students, there could be malice with the intend.

I read a lot of cases where international workers, maid and students were preyed up on. of. I like to see a on going in-depth investigations. This definitely have labor law as well as ICE implications.

Reactions: 2 users
“Tasks unrelated to studies”

In light of this case developing, wouldn’t making a 4th year pharm student haul around Pyxis machines as free labor for a system upgrade be illegal?

“Tasks unrelated to studies”

In light of this case developing, wouldn’t making a 4th year pharm student haul around Pyxis machines as free labor for a system upgrade be illegal?

No, because I'd make a pharmacist do that with no difficulty about the order.

There's a difference between tasks that are menial but career and tasks that are menial and noncareer. For instance, I know for a fact that Peter Doukas at Temple had a openly-known policy that everyone (from undergraduate summer to senior investigator) start out as a dishwasher/page in his lab. It was publicly justified as a way to learn lab norms and equipment placement, meet everyone, and verify that the safety training lesson went in (you'd be surprised at the number of stories of how many senior investigators rusty on their techniques overreach and do something stupid as a visiting member). The length of time served in that menial position is directly proportional to how the other members trust you before you are admitted to your actual placement in lab. While menial, there is a clear tie to the actual work. I know many of us follow the same policy as it genuinely accomplishes relevant outcomes in a socially acceptable manner.

As for this guy, well, it's pretty obvious that this isn't proper but whether it'll get punished, probably not if there was enough money brought in, because that's what matters in the end. I'm sure university administration will have something in the pike to blackmail him into better revenue sharing and/or a retirement without benefits in the end (that's what I'd do).

Reactions: 1 users
You're going to haul around those 6-drawers if I tell you to, student.

I realize I am painting with a VERY wide brush here, but in my very limited experience precepting I have found that students seem to love doing easy tasks that I would consider menial but are much more hesitant to take on more cerebral tasks that presumably are the things they need to learn to be a pharmacist, such as IV charts/dosing or reviewing orders/making interventions. Every student I have had so far has enthusiastically helped me with stupid things like shelf/bay maintenance or checking for expired products but has to be dragged to the phone to take prescriber calls or answer nursing questions.

I don't really blame them though, I just figure they prefer to do things that they know they are good at and can't really mess up vs doing challenging things that could negatively effect their grade if screwed up. But I have had to remind more than one student that they aren't at my site to learn how to do what they already know and that they should focus on learning new skills that they may need soon.

Reactions: 2 users
The PhD program and PharmD program are both housed within the "School of Pharmacy". .
Who cares.

If my neighbor starts and underground Hamster Fighting ring, will they post it on a "Ceti's house enthusiast" forum?