Pharmacy is slowly going down. CVS/WAGs is a true def of modern day slavery. What are our options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably the same reason why women were forced into workforce in the early 1900s.

Poor women have always worked, it's was only wealthy women who didn't have to (and until recent times, there was little or no "middle class") Women staffed factories (just like men), from their very beginnings in the 1700's.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Am I the only one here satisfied working for a big corporation? Retail pharmacy is childs play compare to my summer high school jobs. And the fact that we get paid over 100k smh.. I didn’t know everyone excepted a unicorn job after graduation

Am I the only one here satisfied working for a big corporation? Retail pharmacy is childs play compare to my summer high school jobs. And the fact that we get paid over 100k smh.. I didn’t know everyone excepted a unicorn job after graduation

I expected a pistol-wielding-cat-riding-unicorn job.

Members don't see this ad :)

No I think one of the biggest issues that causes some stores to be worse than others is they aren't following what the company is trying to do. Walgreens everyday is talking about their app, email, texting, 90 day supply, the auto entering, etc. Every year our number of scripts entered has slowly gone down but my 90-day continues to go up five to ten percent every year. Some years have been way higher. I've even gone to doctors offices to help them with escribe. Dentists are notorious for calling in scripts. Taking a prescription over the phone is such a huge waste of time.

All of these little small things add up, you're not going to keep your Tech hours even if you aren't keeping up.

Reactions: 1 users
No I think one of the biggest issues that causes some stores to be worse than others is they aren't following what the company is trying to do. Walgreens everyday is talking about their app, email, texting, 90 day supply, the auto entering, etc. Every year our number of scripts entered has slowly gone down but my 90-day continues to go up five to ten percent every year. Some years have been way higher. I've even gone to doctors offices to help them with escribe. Dentists are notorious for calling in scripts. Taking a prescription over the phone is such a huge waste of time.

All of these little small things add up, you're not going to keep your Tech hours even if you aren't keeping up.

You must work in Imladris. Good for you. Some of us work outside the gates of Mordor where the typical customer looks like this...
maxresdefault.jpg

Modern day slavery with respect to pharmacy in the United States? Bit of a stretch if you ask me. If you are coming to the US in the back of an 18 wheeler or as someone mentioned earlier from one third world country to another to build a soccer stadium then yes that is modern day slavery. Granted CVS, WAGS, and the like have created a rough working conditions for pharmacists. Our "slavery" in this country comes from our own inability to say "no" to the indulgences that western society has told us are normal.

Because pharmacist are sheep. Working for RAD I would take a lunch, demand to be paid for flu clinics and meetings on my day off, and not work overtime without getting time and a half. When you're the only one standing up for principles you get hammered down eventually.
I think the typical personality of a retail pharmacist is that they are doormats, and it doesn't help that 70% of the profession are women. I find that customers, even DMs will talk to women differently than a guy.

I think the typical personality of a retail pharmacist is that they are doormats, and it doesn't help that 70% of the profession are women. I find that customers, even DMs will talk to women differently than a guy.

My former DM used to hire a "type". Most of pharmacists in my district looked very similar. All the girls looked like they were a cheerleader at some point in their lives. lol

Back in the day when I entered school, they were giving pharmacists cars, paying off their student loans, and treated them like rockstars. With plenty of tech hours to go around and nobody knew WTF a PCQ call was.

I'm not really upset though...I actually don't hate my job.

I honestly feel bad for you youngins' that didn't get to experience the good old days. Just the inkling that you were thinking about looking for a new job opened you up to a nice dinner from a line of suitors. Steak, seafood, Cheesecake Factory...whatever. CVS, Wags, Rite Aid, Fruth, Kroger, Walmart, Target...they'd all have little free lunch seminars at school all the time trying to get you to come work for them. Chick-fil-A and Panera like once a week.

Nowadays, you are lucky if you get a "we went another direction" automailer from HR people.
You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. Pharmacy saturation means that retail chains can treat pharmacist like **** and get away with it. That will not change untill the supply of pharmacist decrease, which will not happen for decades. Another program is that outside of retail and hospital chains, the PharmD is rather useless. Most people don't know what a pharmacist does, they think they pharmacist counts pills. In fact, alot of customers at CVS think we are all pharmacist, that means it is difficult to changes careers.

What Great Managers Do

It's very situational and time-dependent. I was satisfied with Walgreens at the store level, because I had good people with me, and the really ambitious, take-no-prisoners corporate side (I'm looking at you, Jim Kawashima, formerly Phoenix North DM and now DoO WBA) were people I made it a point not to draw undue attention to (I can say with a straight face that "Mr. K" never had a complaint with me nor did I ever see his wrath at the store level). At the corporate level at Deerfield, part of the strong reason why I went federal was because of the involuntary revolving door. Pay was fine, politics were fine, but you would always eventually head into a situation where you getting laid off or fired was inevitable. I saw it happen to much better people than me, so I knew it would be just a matter of time before the corporation would get around to getting rid of me. Heck, Greg Wasson got outplayed hard by KKR by a bunch of Italians and Deerfield untouchables were told to clean out their desks, so no one really is safe. Hilariously, when I do consulting for WBA now, I do walk past Jim Kawashima's office at Deerfield but have never had a reunion with him there because Jim's inevitably out somewhere torching some DM for underperforming somehow.

I don't want my work to become my lifestyle, that's why I chose pharmacy over continuing onward to medicine. I like my jobs to have a usual level of suck, and that even in bad years, it only sucks so bad; I need a floor more than a ceiling. If you already earned out in your career, you start thinking about legacy and safety more. What can I do to preserve my assets, and what do I actually want? Is that so hard to ask?

My former DM used to hire a "type". Most of pharmacists in my district looked very similar. All the girls looked like they were a cheerleader at some point in their lives. lol
Women by their nature are less aggressive and more agreeable than men. But I think that pharmacy attracts smart people who just want a nice career, but not overly ambitious or aggressive people.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's true, although I'd also counter that there are impossible stores in any district (usually the ones that LP camps in all the time). If you know what you are doing, you will figure out which ones aren't worth dying over. Even Walgreens will retreat from time to time, but some of the impossible stores are still kept because of strategic considerations.

That's true, although I'd also counter that there are impossible stores in any district (usually the ones that LP camps in all the time). If you know what you are doing, you will figure out which ones aren't worth dying over. Even Walgreens will retreat from time to time, but some of the impossible stores are still kept because of strategic considerations.

Oh I agree 100%.

I know plenty of good pharmacists left CVS to find other job because of deteriorating condition. It seems CVS hasn't change its way and continue or worsen its practices.

While I can sympathize with you for quitting, you won't be miss and they will find someone else to take your place. There are going to be 15 pharmacy schools in California and most are hungry to work for that 6 figures salary. It's going to worsen once another recession hit, automation or Amazon decided to enter pharmacy forcing CVS/Walgreen/RiteAid to cut more staffs for profits.

More and more students entering this profession blindly without having real world work experience, job outlook, and financial sense to realize pharmacy isn't a great prospect. Despite my attempt to talk some sense into them, the lure of 6 figures salary and low barrier to pharmacy school is stronger than reasoning.

What youse guyz have to realize is..that for most (new grads esp.) being a pharmacist basically honks..unless you get lucky..which does happen occasionally. To me it has been a combo of high speed and low speed drudgery. The school was interesting but had essentially nothing to do with the job. I lucked out financially due only to timing. NOW..this so called lure of 100k pay is rapidly turning into a red herring (you know that red fish they towed in front of hunting dawgs). The whole system is FIRING old timers and replacing them with cheaper newbies....who in turn get overwhelmed and pull chocks...often along with whatever techs (if you even HAVE a tech) can bail...The upper "management" cares about one thing ONE THING .... keeping the CEO compensated as said CEO demands..A-for mentioned upper management sees an R.PH. as a cost center and they are moving quickly to tame that cost center (you)..For all but a very few..pharmacy school will be like buying a stock on margin and watching it tank...and don't think that going independent will save you...maybe three in a hundred...

Reactions: 2 users
I know plenty of good pharmacists left CVS to find other job because of deteriorating condition. It seems CVS hasn't change its way and continue or worsen its practices.

While I can sympathize with you for quitting, you won't be miss and they will find someone else to take your place. There are going to be 15 pharmacy schools in California and most are hungry to work for that 6 figures salary. It's going to worsen once another recession hit, automation or Amazon decided to enter pharmacy forcing CVS/Walgreen/RiteAid to cut more staffs for profits.

More and more students entering this profession blindly without having real world work experience, job outlook, and financial sense to realize pharmacy isn't a great prospect. Despite my attempt to talk some sense into them, the lure of 6 figures salary and low barrier to pharmacy school is stronger than reasoning.

This is very evident in target/cvs. Many target pharmacists quit soon after CVS took over. Some of them didn't even last a few months. This one lady worked at the same target pharmacy for almost 20 years but quit soon after they converted lol. I swear I heard her say "fck this bull****." and told the entire staff, "Good luck putting up with this ****." on her last day. lol

Last edited:
This is very evident in target/cvs. Many target pharmacists quit soon after CVS took over. Some of them didn't even last a few months. This one lady worked at the same target pharmacy for almost 20 years but quit soon after they converted lol. I swear I heard her say "fck this bull****." and told the entire staff, "Good luck putting up with this ****." on her last day. lol

Pharmacist with 20+ years career with sizable investment, paid off all debts, not being the primary bread winner can quit and work part time or per diem at less stressful job.

Unfortunately, new graduate won't have this option. They will have to endure worsen condition as supply outstrip demands and corporate need to increase profit. Pharmacist who survive the mental and physical abuse will reward with age discrimination not loyalty.

I wonder if it's possible to survive the next 15 years in retail when there are so many factors going against it. It definitely made me nauseous when I see so many pharmacist over leveraging 30 years mortgage and living above their mean.

You know guys, forget about the word "slavery", it might be an exaggerated term, I agree. When I quit I was 100% sure they will find a replacement the next day. A dormant, a foreigner on a working visa, a kid with 150k+ debt, a mom or a dad who needs to pay tons of bills and feed his/her kids or someone else who will accept these conditions without complaining. ANd, do not think I am demeaning these people, I believe most of them believe they do not have a choice but to accept these conditions. ANd I have the utmost respect for them because they are hard working people. Unfortunately, in a harmful way to the bigger picture.

The point is when the norm becomes working 12-14 hours non-stop with no break, then there's something wrong
when you need to go to the bathroom but you hold because the pharmacy is extremely busy and these few minutes will cause a backup, then there's something wrong.

I believe most of us are hard workers, all of us studied hard and went through a lot of education that required tons of dedication and discipline.

Working hard does not mean to push yourself to the maximum on a daily basis (without a fair return in salary, recognition, or career growth) because they understaff your team every single day. Working hard doesn't mean that I work like a robot. How long can you physically and mentally take that, a year, two, maybe 10? And then, they will fire you for any reason and replace you with a newbie to save a few thousands of dollars on your annual salary. These saving are the cost of one dinner at capital grill for the big corp guys with lobbyists and politicians.

As a pharmacist I should work hard, but not like a donkey. I am not saying that I need time to check my phone, play games, or watch a show. I want to do what I should be doing as a pharmacist. Improving the health of the community I am working in. Educating my patients about their drugs and healthy habits. We could be a huge asset in helping this healthcare from failing.

With the current working conditions, you are just stuck in front of the computer, verifying tons of prescriptions, not even half-assing patient counseling, and for sure, trying to avoid DURs or MTM like they never exist. How many of you just got used to override the DURs because the pt has been on the medication for awhile, how many of you have the time to ask the patient if the drug is actually working after checking their whole profile.

I felt I was not a human, I was just a robot with a license, which they need to keep a pharmacy open, ANd when the day come to rid these regulations, most of us gonna end up jobless. Because after many years of doing this job, you do not develop any skill that you could transfer to another career.

Sorry about the typos.

Reactions: 3 users
You know guys, forget about the word "slavery", it might be an exaggerated term, I agree. When I quit I was 100% sure they will find a replacement the next day. A dormant, a foreigner on a working visa, a kid with 150k+ debt, a mom or a dad who needs to pay tons of bills and feed his/her kids or someone else who will accept these conditions without complaining. ANd, do not think I am demeaning these people, I believe most of them believe they do not have a choice but to accept these conditions. ANd I have the utmost respect for them because they are hard working people. Unfortunately, in a harmful way to the bigger picture.

The point is when the norm becomes working 12-14 hours non-stop with no break, then there's something wrong
when you need to go to the bathroom but you hold because the pharmacy is extremely busy and these few minutes will cause a backup, then there's something wrong.

I believe most of us are hard workers, all of us studied hard and went through a lot of education that required tons of dedication and discipline.

Working hard does not mean to push yourself to the maximum on a daily basis (without a fair return in salary, recognition, or career growth) because they understaff your team every single day. Working hard doesn't mean that I work like a robot. How long can you physically and mentally take that, a year, two, maybe 10? And then, they will fire you for any reason and replace you with a newbie to save a few thousands of dollars on your annual salary. These saving are the cost of one dinner at capital grill for the big corp guys with lobbyists and politicians.

As a pharmacist I should work hard, but not like a donkey. I am not saying that I need time to check my phone, play games, or watch a show. I want to do what I should be doing as a pharmacist. Improving the health of the community I am working in. Educating my patients about their drugs and healthy habits. We could be a huge asset in helping this healthcare from failing.

With the current working conditions, you are just stuck in front of the computer, verifying tons of prescriptions, not even half-assing patient counseling, and for sure, trying to avoid DURs or MTM like they never exist. How many of you just got used to override the DURs because the pt has been on the medication for awhile, how many of you have the time to ask the patient if the drug is actually working after checking their whole profile.

I felt I was not a human, I was just a robot with a license, which they need to keep a pharmacy open, ANd when the day come to rid these regulations, most of us gonna end up jobless. Because after many years of doing this job, you do not develop any skill that you could transfer to another career.

Sorry about the typos.

Sorry that you were bad at your job.

Great perspective. I remember my first job at Burger King got paid $6/hr. It was back when they had 2 Whoppers for $2 (yes I'm that old), we would make something like 700-800 Whoppers at lunchtime. I would sweat balls wearing black hat, black pants, and dark shirt working the broiler or getting burnt by oil at the fry station. I'd go home with an oily face smelling like fries. Of course there was no insurance, phone calls, or drug addicts to deal with but it was still a difficult work environment.

I still haven't had a Whopper to this day.

Why are people always complaining about Wags/CVS/Walmart? I have a couple of upperclassmen friends that love their retail jobs. Hell, some of them have already paid off their 100k loans within 2 years and are homeowners in a fancy neighborhood while others were still doing a PGY-2 and are accumulating more debt as we speak.

Sorry that you were bad at your job.
Your a fool. Where do you people like you come from? Probably a Trump supporter.

What you said is the exact reason pharmacists won’t ever come together to put an end to what’s going on in pharmacy today. Because idiots like you think it’s normal.

Ja du bist bestimmt ein riesigen Arschloch. Geh und bring dich um.

Your a fool. Where do you people like you come from? Probably a Trump supporter.

What you said is the exact reason pharmacists won’t ever come together to put an end to what’s going on in pharmacy today. Because idiots like you think it’s normal.

Ja du bist bestimmt ein riesigen Arschloch. Geh und bring dich um.

People need to stop, look at themselves and think, why am I having problems but others aren't? Is it me or the company?

People need to stop, look at themselves and think, why am I having problems but others aren't? Is it me or the company?
Thirty plus year career and I've yet to meet a person who doesn't think chains treat rphs like ****. Some people just accept it as normal.

Thirty plus year career and I've yet to meet a person who doesn't think chains treat rphs like ****. Some people just accept it as normal.

Hello I'm wagrxm2000, nice to meet you.

You've now met one person.

Hello I'm wagrxm2000, nice to meet you.

You've now met one person.
Be interested in walking into your phila walgreens at a random time and see how happy you look. Most chain rphs look one step away from going postal. But even so, if you enjoy your job more power to you. I worked in Phila until 2000 and had a couple good stores way back when but my friends there now would rather do almost anything else.

Be interested in walking into your phila walgreens at a random time and see how happy you look. Most chain rphs look one step away from going postal. But even so, if you enjoy your job more power to you. I worked in Phila until 2000 and had a couple good stores way back when but my friends there now would rather do almost anything else.

I'm pretty much always smiling and having a good time.

<------

Exactly. Floating is the best gig there it. You're not supposed to care. Just do your best. Don't leave a mess behind. If the queue is red by the time you have to leave, make sure all issues are listed somewhere for anyone to pick up where you left off. Simple.
What about the floaters who have to drive sometimes over 2-3 hours a day round trip to stores. My company wont pay drive time anymore so you're basically driving all that distance for free.

What about the floaters who have to drive sometimes over 2-3 hours a day round trip to stores. My company wont pay drive time anymore so you're basically driving all that distance for free.
Wow... is this Walmart? Tell them to pound sand and find someone else to cover that store. Most chains still pay drive time but at < 1/3 of your regular pay + mileage (past a certain miles).

For the folks working at CVS/ WAG, how often are you able to clear the queue by the time you close ??

For the folks working at CVS/ WAG, how often are you able to clear the queue by the time you close ??

This really depends on the pharmacy. I've never worked at a store where queues were not cleared before I left but I have seen others where my friends worked that had to stayed an hour or longer after closing to clear out the queues for the day...

99% of the time. I usually have Q.V. done an hour before we close during our busiest day. 3 - 4 hours during our slowest days.

I just saw a post on Reddit claiming that Walmart is cutting people down to 32 hours. Is there any major retail chain that offers decent pay and full-time hours these days?

There is one great positive from all the mergers, low reimbursements, and declining hours and that is less rotation spots for P4's. ACPE will either have to adjust it's standards along with the BOP's with the amount of hours you need to graduate or schools won't be able to take as many students. I'm betting on ACPE and BOP to keep making the Kool-Aid....grape flavor!

There is one great positive from all the mergers, low reimbursements, and declining hours and that is less rotation spots for P4's. ACPE will either have to adjust it's standards along with the BOP's with the amount of hours you need to graduate or schools won't be able to take as many students. I'm betting on ACPE and BOP to keep making the Kool-Aid....grape flavor!

"We are pleased to announce that with advancements in technology and education, the (former) requirement of experience hours has become redundant and will be eliminated as of the 2020 fiscal year. We are confident in the ability of schools to integrate these experiences within their curriculum, and are also confident in the ability of hardworking, driven new graduates to find exciting new opportunities."

I just saw a post on Reddit claiming that Walmart is cutting people down to 32 hours. Is there any major retail chain that offers decent pay and full-time hours these days?
My store’s last 3 hires have been 24 hours. It was a new “Full-time” position created to avoid paying for travel time.

My store’s last 3 hires have been 24 hours. It was a new “Full-time” position created to avoid paying for travel time.

Are they getting benefits? Are they happy only getting 24 hours?

Are they getting benefits? Are they happy only getting 24 hours?
Same benefits. Just “5 weeks PTO” means 120 hours PTO. Two out of three are happy enough to still be here.

I feel floater jobs are easier than staff/manager. Just verify right and make sure prescriptions are done correctly. Whatever nasty customers you have on that day, you won't see them again. Next day/week, it's a different store, the problem customers aren't your problem anymore. If you can't handle a floating position, you can't handle retail.

Agreed.

Pros: You get to leave work behind and management is not breathing down your neck
Cons: Scheduling. When I floated, I'd get 3 days in advance of what my schedule was the next week. No predictability

I think it vastly depends on your work environment. Mine is cake right now. I've had much, much worse.

I'm sure your summer job was much better than what these kids have to go through. Stop complaining about summer jobs.

Under 16 and working 16 hours a day ... Chinese clothes factories import cheap child labour from across China

Full time jobs are available, however quite rare outside of "pharmacist deserts". It kinda seems like you are ungrateful for the opportunity to float at Walmart. Can I ask why? Just having the ability to float is a privileged that you should be excited and grateful for in my humble opinion. School only guarantees you a degree, not a job. Any job you may or may not get after school is a blessing and not to be expected.

No I feel the same way. Retail pharmacy is child's play compared to working in a warehouse and having to unload trucks during hot summers while making minimum wage. Did that for most of my 20's so I will never complain about making over 100k in an air conditioned building

Full time jobs are available, however quite rare outside of "pharmacist deserts". It kinda seems like you are ungrateful for the opportunity to float at Walmart. Can I ask why? Just having the ability to float is a privileged that you should be excited and grateful for in my humble opinion. School only guarantees you a degree, not a job. Any job you may or may not get after school is a blessing and not to be expected.

I took out 600k in private loans for this. I DESERVE a better job than that. I might follow my professor's advice and pursue a PGY2 so I can guarantee a high paying job. I don't know why people like you are so negative. Maybe if you aren't passionate for the field you should try something else?

I took out 600k in private loans for this. I DESERVE a better job than that. I might follow my professor's advice and pursue a PGY2 so I can guarantee a high paying job. I don't know why people like you are so negative. Maybe if you aren't passionate for the field you should try something else?

I am passionate for the field, that is exactly why I don't care about money/salary for working. I would work as a pharmacist for 7.25 USD an hour and be happy. You on the other hand: "so i can guarantee a high paying job" I think maybe you are the one driven by greed.

Is this for everyone or just for floaters?

I am passionate for the field, that is exactly why I don't care about money/salary for working. I would work as a pharmacist for 7.25 USD an hour and be happy. You on the other hand: "so i can guarantee a high paying job" I think maybe you are the one driven by greed.

You need to check your privilege. We don't all have cars large enough to sleep in. If I fail another professional program my dad is going to cut me off.

Is this for everyone or just for floaters?

I can't say. It felt like a gradual roll-out based on region when this happened with Kroger. so Wal-Mart may be following a similar strategy.