This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WGreen3761

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read hundreds of blogs on here, including all that relate to this question. However I was hoping for more guidance.

I am a biomedical engineering student starting senior year and will probably graduate w/ 3.2. I have strong EC (shadowing,research,etc).

I was thinking it would be better to do a 5th yr of undergrad, increase my GPA, and double major in biology, especially since I have only taken 1 yr of bio and would have plenty of more classes to take.

Is this a better option than a SMP?

I have not taken the MCAT yet and will be taking it when I graduate.

I appreciate everyone’s input!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're ok with DO then do the 5th year and raise your gpa. If you want MD you'll probably have to do a SMP.

Hmmm it's hard to say because I'm not positive exactly what GPA schools auto screen at. however, I would say if you get your 3.2 you should be safe at most schools to go ahead and just do an SMP. In your SMP you need to ace it 3.7+ because anything below that won't help you very much. Also try and find an SMP that has a med school program attached so that you can hopefully use that SMP as a backdoor into the programs med school.

Reactions: 1 user