1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by el.mo19, Jul 16, 2018.

1. GradCurious411

How long does it take SOPHAS to verify my application if I'm waiting for my last letter of recommendation? I'm assuming it shouldn't take the 4 weeks since its still early in the application process.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kreels1432

Hi everyone! I would love to hear any feedback or insights on my stats. I'm pretty concerned about my GRE score. Are there any other programs I should consider?

Undergrad School: UC (graduated 1 year early)
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.567
    Major/Minor: Public Health Policy/Education
    GRE: V: 148 (38%), Q: 158 (68%), W: 4.5 (82%) (planning to retake to increase my verbal score)
    Experience/Research (please, be brief):
    - (~1 year) Non-profit organization as the program lead for two grants (policy work and health education).
    - (3 months) Intern at the same non-profit organization.
    - (2 months) Activities assistant at an assisted living facility
    - (8 months) Medical receptionist at a neurology and sleep clinic
    - (3 months) Intern for public health course at a preschool

LOR: 1 from my Executive Director at my current position, 2 from previous professors, and 1 from my supervisor when I was an intern

Interests: MPH in Community Health or Health Policy

Applying: UC Berkeley, USC, GWU, UNC, University of Arizona, UNR

#102 kreels1432, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  4. plsmphepi

Undergrad School: Nationally recognized university in India
    Undergrad GPA: (I have been told that after WES evaluation, approximately 3.5 on a 4.0 scale)
    Major: Biotechnology Engineering
    GRE: V: 156, Q: 162 W: Not sure. Estimate: 4 or 4.5
    -1 month summer internship at Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology working on gut microbiome related research
    -1 semester long project work based on herbal medicine
    -3 months summer internship at National Institute of Epidemiology
    -(will run ~1 year, will be 1 semester when I apply) currently working on final year project on transcriptome analysis (dealing with environmental science and microbiology) (got funding for this from my college!!!)
    -3 years of volunteer work at NSS (National Service Scheme), with experiences ranging from assisting in helping set up medical camps and blood drives, work in flood relief and regular donation drives. I'm also editor-in-chief of this organization.

LOR: one from mentor at my internship (at Nat'l Institute of Epi), one from a biopharmaceuticals professor who I took 1 class with, and one from my PI (for both projects, and is my faculty adviser as well)

Interests: MPH in Epi

Applying: Emory, Columbia, BU, GWU (maybe UTH, UAlberta, UCBerkeley)

I've posted once before, which may be why this post looks familiar! But I have updated many things, and have new questions for those willing to answer :)

1. Should I retake my GRE? My verbal score is on the lower side for most of the colleges I am applying to -- is this something I need to worry about, or since I'm aiming for epidemiology, will it not really be a problem?
    2. Speaking of, I know quant is important for epi -- is 162 good enough? It should be noted that my undergrad math grades are really bad (I'm talking D and below) but I have full confidence in my math skills and ability to pick up math. I was really hoping to offset the grades with a 165+ in quant in GRE but clearly, that didn't happen. Should I retake GRE, if not to improve verbal score, then for this? (I will make sure to ask my referees to bring up my math capability in the LOR, especially my referee from the internship I did at the Nat'l Institute of Epi.)
    3. What do you think about UTH, UAlberta and UCB (I feel like this one is beyond a reach school, especially since the program itself is Epi/Biostats, and I'll be applying with horrible undergrad math grades).

Thank you all in advance. Really just freaking out about GRE and the need to retake.

5. keeks23

Hello MPH 2019 Applicants! I am excited to see the progress of others and receive the advice from peers throughout the application cycle. My stats are as follows:

Undergrad School: private university in CA, top 5 in the West
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: cGPA: 3.88/major GPA: 4.0
    Major/Minor: Health Sciences/Psychology
    GRE: taken on 9/1/18 V: 160 (86%), Q: 158 (68%), W: 4.5 (82%)
    - Clinical Team Leader for Dermatology private practice (7 mos)
    - Medical Assistant for Dermatology private practice with 3 board cert Derms (10 mos)
    - Health Scholar (5 mos)
    - Research and Analysis Intern for Research and Special Projects team at local government department (5 mos)
    - Capstone Research Project investigating links between childhood poverty and negative health outcomes in the US (5 mos)
    - Undergrad Student RA at University's Pharmacy School (6 mos)
    - Undergrad Student Researcher conducted independent and interdisciplinary research project (12 mos)

LOR: 2 from previous professors, 1 from current supervisor who holds dual MD and PhD

Interests: MPH in Enviro Epi, will apply to either EHS or EPI based on program

Applying: UC Berkeley MPH in EHS with specialization in Occ and Enviro Epi, UCI EPI, UW Gen EPI, Emory MSPH Enviro EPI, Yale EHS

Plan on applying no later than 10/31, working on SOP right now.

#104 keeks23, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  6. sploosh

Hi everyone!

I was an applicant last cycle, and I just wanted to know that I got into 9/10 schools that I applied to despite having a GPA well below the general average (3.14 overall). :)

I know it's a little early for this but I'd be happy to read over peoples' personal statements if they want an editor. Lastly, I'm not sure how relevant they still are, but a bunch of us from last year posted some resources in the google drive linked in my signature - they might be helpful, maybe not.

Best of luck to everyone.

7. el.mo19

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Is anyone planning on going to Emory's Destination Public Health next month? I'll be there!

8. CWA

CWA

Hi all - really glad that I stumbled across this forum! Looking forward to sharing thoughts as we go through the application process.

Undergrad School:
    Private liberal arts college
    Undergrad GPA: 3.93/4.00
    Major/Minor: Economics and Chinese, minor in Global Development
    GRE: V 165 (96%), Q 159 (72%), Writing 5.5 (98%)

Experience/Research: 2.5 years of globally-focused work in research, strategic learning, and evaluation of grant-funded public health interventions and health leadership programs (1 year at a global health nonprofit abroad and 1.5 years at a nonprofit based in the US). Experience in qualitative and quantitative social science research.

LOR: (1) Former colleague from a global health nonprofit, (2) Former economics professor whose classes I TA'd, (3) Current supervisor, and (4) Former study abroad director/professor. (Four may be overkill, but they each highlight different strengths.)

Interests: Health policy, health equity, global health, program evaluation, and health systems strengthening.

Applying to: U-M (Health Policy and Management - Global Health Program), Harvard (Global Health), University of Washington (Global Health), Johns Hopkins (Global Health Economics), Yale (Health Policy w/ Global Health Concentration), Boston University (Health Policy w/ Secondary Certificate in Global Health), and Columbia (Health Policy w/ Certificate in Global Health)

9. JDGBruin1317

2+ Year Member

I think you're GRE are scores are fine and imo I don't see any reason to retake it, especially since you're concentrating on Epi. I believe you have a fair shot at all of the schools you're applying to! Like a lot of people have been saying on here, focus on getting good LORs and writing a well-established personal statement that brings together your experiences and your career goals/interests. Good luck! :D

10. pharmamph

I applied september 6th and just got verified today!

11. kingorange9

Undergrad School: Boston University (2016)
    Undergrad GPA/Public Health GPA: 3.24 / 3.43 (Currently doing Post-Bac Classes)
    Major/Minor: Human Physiology / Medical Anthropology
    GRE: V: 155 (69%), Q: 156 (61%), W: 4.0 (August 2017)
    - 2 years working as a senior medical assistant at prestigious hospital
    - 6-Month global health internship in New Zealand studying indigenous population
    - Week-long work with Global Medical Brigades in Honduras

LOR: 1. Vice-chair of medical anthropology (Took a class with him), 2. Current supervisor at hospital, 3. Hospital physician who I work closely with.

Interests: MPH in global / community health eventually becoming a physician assistant

Applying: (Verified: 9/16 // Submitted: 8/27) BU, Columbia, Emory, GW, JHSPH, Harvard, NYU, NYMC, Brown, UPenn, Yale

Am I reaching too high? Thoughts on getting accepted?

12. eskiiit

what are people putting for achievements? like honors college, etc.? don't know how specific or broad to go

13. SunshineSarahbelle

Hi all! I have been looking at previous threads for a few months, and decided to make an account since I am applying this cycle! I am super nervous in this whole process, mainly because I went straight to a Cal State school for undergrad without applying anywhere else, so the app process is new to me! I hope some of you can weigh in with advice for me

Undergrad School: lesser known Cal State (Channel Islands)
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.92
    Major/Minor: BS Biology, Minor in Chemistry
    GRE: first attempt - 159 Q (83%), 156 Q (62%), 5 AWA (93%) ; second attempt 158 Q(69%), 155 V (69%) Tried to get my quant score up, but my verbal dropped in the process :/
    - 3 month summer internship at UNM Department of Global Health, researched Ebola Virus for vaccine development

- Publication in Virology journal from that internship

- 2.5 years of biostatistics research and SPSS data analysis on Humpback whale populations (related through the methods we used), teaching myself R for more analysis right now

- current (6 months so far) volunteer at local hospital working with the Infection Preventionist on monitoring disease isolated patients and doing hand hygiene compliance audits (observing RNs, MDs, and staff in each department and calculating quarterly compliance by department)

- 3 years as tutor in STEM center at school, taught instructional workshop for Ochem

LOR: 1 from biostatistics research mentor, 1 from organic chemistry professor and director of our STEM grant that I was employed under(very close, can speak highly of STEM related volunteer service, tutoring experience, and academic success), and 1 from STEM Center boss of 3 years
    Applying: University of Washington (general Epi track), UC Berkeley (Epi/biostatistics), UCLA (Epi), Columbia

I am trying to decide if I should retake the GRE for a third time. My dream school is Washington, but I also like Berkeley and their Epi/biostats program has very high GRE scores posted. Good luck to everyone here, you guys are all amazing and have experiences and stats that are so admirable!

14. MazKanata

Other Health Professions Student
    You will probably get into a lot of solid programs, aim for the sky and research schools that you would be happy with and kill those post-bac classes.

I would also advise you NOT to do the MPH at BU, it is simply too expensive there and there is a lot of controversy surrounding some of the school's positions. The opioid epidemic got going in large part due to a very faulty study of patients at a BU hospital that were given opioids and the researchers didn't see (tongue in cheek) any addiction in the hospital so they concluded in a letter (not a peer reviewed article) in the New England that opioids are safe to use without worrying about addiction and it was quoted probably hundreds of thousands of times, and only relatively recently did the authors recant and the letter is infamous for being actually retracted (they never explain at all how they did their research).

Fast forward to today, and one of the professors at BU, Michael Siegel, has run a very disturbing blog for many years supporting everything about e-cigarettes and accusing JHU, NIH and the CDC (to name a few) about blatantly covering up the "truth" about how people are attacking e-cigarettes for no reason, and sullying the good name of Juul, and he feels that it would be a public health disaster if the FDA regulates e-cigarettes. He is absolutely clear that flavoring must remain in e-cigarrettes because nobody will use them otherwise. He says that e-cigarettes were invented to help adults quit (jury's out on that), and that they weren't invented to be used by kids or to hurt kids. Yeah right, same logic could apply to everything else that kids get into and get hurt from firearms to alcohol and people don't say that those weren't invented in the first place to hurt kids so they can't be regulated. Siegel was a big name in tobacco research, but a lot of these tobacco companies are behind big e-cigarette companies, and he has really pushed to de-regulate e-cigarettes and he seems to have drawn some firm conclusions before the research is in, some of which contradicts his position.

I think that BU is a school built inside an igloo and if you want to work for the CDC or government or for other academic institutions or brand name NGOs, their self-importance and their beliefs are kind of a tangent to mainstream public health thought and they probably contributed to +500,000 opioid deaths and a burgeoning e-cigarette problem, though they take government money to research these issues that they helped to create.

The other problem with BU is that the market for MPHs is oversaturated in Boston, and recently a lot of people were fired at BU, possibly at the job assistance desk or with finding externships for students.

#113 MazKanata, Sep 19, 2018 at 9:34 PM
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018 at 9:41 PM
  15. Missaayyyy

Psychology Student
    Undergrad School: Small State School (2017)
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3 (verified by SOPHAS)
    Major/Minor: Psychology/French
    GRE: 164 V, 151 Q , 5.0 AW

1 year working as a research assistant/analyst in a large global health non-profit
    1 research internship at the CDC
    3 years as a pharmacy technician during undergrad
    3 summers interning for a global State Department program
    6 months as a peer heath educator
    Full tuition/fees scholarship recipient

LORs: 1 undergrad research professor, CDC research mentor, post-grad manager

Interested in: Global Health, Behavioral Health
    Applied:
    UNC Gillings, Berkeley, Emory, GWU, Tulane
    Accepted:
    Rejected:
    Waitlisted:

My GPA was messed up by an awful semester early in my Sophomore year, but my GPA before that and in the last 2 years of college is over a 3.5 every semester. I plan on retaking the GRE the first week of November to increase my Quant score. Any advice? I'm an awful math test taker but I've gotten all A's in my college level maths (pre-cal, calculus, stats 1 & 2). Is it worth retaking?

I can't tell if I'm reaching with my schools?

#114 Missaayyyy, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:36 AM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018 at 10:48 AM
  16. NDSU.19

Undergrad School: North Dakota State
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.15/3.60
    Major/Minor: Biological Sciences
    GRE: 153V (61%) 152Q (46%) 4.5 AW (82%) [retaking in mid-october and am expecting a much higher Q score]
    - Undergraduate lab experience in food pathogens, plant pathology, and vector-borne diseases.
    - Summer full-time and current part-time internship with a state health department assisting with various grant activities. Directly under the state epidemiologist and 2 other respected full-time epi's.
    - Volunteer leader through the local United Way since 2017.

LOR: One from the State Epidemiologist, one from an oral health epidemiologist (both know me very well through the internship), one from a biology professor that had me in two courses and is now my advisor, and one from my employer at the job working with vector-borne diseases.

Interests: MPH in environmental health or epidemiology --> both relating to my interests in infectious disease

Applying: UMN (Epi and Environmental Health), Colorado School of Public Health (epidemiology), taking suggestions as I'm looking for one or two more programs to apply to.

Thanks!!

#115 NDSU.19, Sep 20, 2018 at 12:41 PM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018 at 12:57 PM
  17. Gutterball1234

I'm thinking of going, but I live pretty far from Atlanta (Columbus, OH), and I'm not sure how worth it it is to spend all of the money that would be required to get to Atlanta, for basically an open house. I just submitted an application for a travel grant, and if I receive enough, I'll go. In that case, I'll go, and am really excited!

Missaayyyy likes this.
  18. Cassatrass

2+ Year Member

They also give out travel grants for Visit Emory in the Spring, and I've met quite a few people who only attended Destination Emory and regretted it once they started school since they didn't meet people or get as much of the post-acceptance information until orientation! Just something to keep in mind-- if you're serious about Emory, I'd probably try to do both or save until Visit Emory!

Gutterball1234 and Missaayyyy like this.
  19. eb330009

Does anyone have any idea if applying to two programs at one University is looked down upon? I am looking into both the MHA at UNC and the MPH in health policy at UNC. I was wondering if it would be better to only apply to one, or if applying to both is ok as long as I personalize my personal statement to each? Both would lead me to a very similar place career wise.

Please let me know if you have any advice/tips on this topic!

20. lt_

lt_

I am applying to two MPH programs at University of Washington. I wrote the program coordinator for one of the programs asking this exact question, and she wrote the director of the program who said that it is not looked down upon to apply to multiple programs, as long as you can explain why you are a good fit for each program in your personal statements. She did, however, say that I should be aware that there will be internal discussion about which program I am a better fit for. Again, this is just University of Washington, but I hope this helps. If you are worried about it, I would reach out to one or both of the programs.

wwmmkk likes this.