MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all! I've found this thread really helpful, so thank you to everyone who's been posting! Like a lot of people on here, I also missed Columbia's supplemental questions on SOPHAS but was able to complete them within Columbia's applicant portal.

I'm wondering if anyone has any intel about Columbia's interviews for the HPM department. I got an email saying a student will reach out to me for an interview, but I'm really curious: Does everyone who applies for an MPH in HPM get an interview? I'm also wondering if anyone has found stats on the acceptance rate for the MPH in HPM (at Mailman). Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! I've found this thread really helpful, so thank you to everyone who's been posting! Like a lot of people on here, I also missed Columbia's supplemental questions on SOPHAS but was able to complete them within Columbia's applicant portal.

I'm wondering if anyone has any intel about Columbia's interviews for the HPM department. I got an email saying a student will reach out to me for an interview, but I'm really curious: Does everyone who applies for an MPH in HPM get an interview? I'm also wondering if anyone has found stats on the acceptance rate for the MPH in HPM (at Mailman). Thanks so much!
I don't think everyone gets an invite for an interview the way it was phrased when I asked during an admissions conversation last month, but I am hesitant to send an email and blatantly ask.

Would you mind sharing when you applied/got the notification that your application was under review? And are you 2 year MPH or accelerated?

Good luck with the interview!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think everyone gets an invite for an interview the way it was phrased when I asked during an admissions conversation last month, but I am hesitant to send an email and blatantly ask.

Would you mind sharing when you applied/got the notification that your application was under review? And are you 2 year MPH or accelerated?

Good luck with the interview!!!

Hey, thanks for sharing! And same here, I don't want to ask! Haha. I submitted my application 11/26 and got the email that it was sent for review on 11/28. And I applied for the 2-year MPH.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all I’d love some advice please!! I just got an email from UMN asking whether or not I want to have my GRE scores be counted in the admissions process because it’s optional. I’m applying for epi and their website says competitive candidates should have 70th percentile scores.

My scores are V: 164 (94%) Q: 156 (60%) AW: 6 (99%)

I’m happy with my verbal and writing scores but my quant is lower than what they look for. I’m trying to figure out if I should tell them to use my scores because the higher ones will balance out and I do have some data-specific work experience? Or will my quant score be a negative on my app regardless.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks!!!

I applied to GWU, Boston, UNC, Emory, Columbia, Michigan, Yale, and NYU all for Health Policy! Hbu?
Nice! I've applied to Johns Hopkins (MSPH/Registered Dietitian's or RD program), Yale (Social and Behavioral Sciences), Cornell (Food Systems), and UNC (MPH/RD). Best wishes for decisions!

Is there anyone else applying to MPH/RD programs?

Undergraduate School: UNC
Undergrad GPA: 3.67 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/minor: BA Exercise and Sport Science BA Hispanic Literature and Culture
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken): V-159 Q-159 AW-4.5 1/4/2019

Experience/research:
-Internship with No Kid Hungry teaching kids nutrition lessons and advocating for increased access to the federally-funded Summer Meals Program
-Volunteering in a charity clinic serving uninsured patients which has now turned into a full-time job as an MA. I also interpret for Spanish-speaking patients in this role.
-Leadership position in the Social Justice ministry at my church where I helped organize and lead alternative breaks, days of service and other projects.

Letters of Rec: 2 professors from my major and my supervisor from my internship

Interested in: Nutrition, specifically programs MPH/RD or MSPH/RD programs.

Applied: JHU, UMich, and UNC
Accepted: TBA
Rejected:

Waitlisted:
Attending:
Yes I'm applying to MPH/RD programs - JHU and UNC. I've also applied for Yale's Social and Behavioral Sciences program and Cornell's Food Systems, then would just do a DI afterwards somewhere if I chose one of those programs. Hopefully we keep in touch about potential interview offers from JHU! :)

Hi Everyone,
This is my first time applying for financial aid, I am a newbie in regards to this.

I have contacted the financial aid office of some of the programs and I was told to fill out an online FAFSA form. After which I can complete a Graduate plus student loan online and the Mph institution’s financial aid application.

I have listed below the MPH programs I have applied.

I want to be certain I will receive sufficient financial aid to cover my tuition and living expenses. I would appreciate some insight into what financial aid options I should look into in regards to my financial needs?
Thanks.
- Harvard
- John Hopkins
- Columbia
- University of Pennsylvania
- Boston University
- university of North Carolina

@columbia applicants, for those of us doing supplemental questions through the applicant portal, did you just write a word document with the answers and upload as “additional documentation”, or did the admissions committee have to add a specific setting?

@columbia applicants, for those of us doing supplemental questions through the applicant portal, did you just write a word document with the answers and upload as “additional documentation”, or did the admissions committee have to add a specific setting?

They added a specific place for the questions. And they responded quickly when I asked yesterday!

They added a specific place for the questions. And they responded quickly when I asked yesterday!
Awesome, thanks! Would have stressed less on their essays if I’d realized I got a bonus 1000 characters in supplements

Awesome, thanks! Would have stressed less on their essays if I’d realized I got a bonus 1000 characters in supplements

Lol seriously. Now I’m trying to figure out how much to elaborate on the “why this program” part since it’s already in the personal statement.

Hey, how long after you received your login info for UT did you find out that you were accepted?
I got my login info on 11/26 and a call from the admissions office on 12/02 with the official email on 12/03 so they were pretty fast!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if "application forwarded for review" is same as under review? Should I be waiting for an update that lets me know my apps are actually under review?

Does anyone know if "application forwarded for review" is same as under review? Should I be waiting for an update that lets me know my apps are actually under review?
I would say yes that is the same as under review. GW is the only acceptance I've gotten so far but their email said "Your application has been marked complete and sent to the admissions committee for review" and that was all I got before they sent the acceptance email a week or two later. I would assume all of the schools are the same so I would take that email and just consider the time frame they gave you like 4-6 weeks, etc.

I would say yes that is the same as under review. GW is the only acceptance I've gotten so far but their email said "Your application has been marked complete and sent to the admissions committee for review" and that was all I got before they sent the acceptance email a week or two later. I would assume all of the schools are the same so I would take that email and just consider the time frame they gave you like 4-6 weeks, etc.
Thanks! For GW, did you get any scholarship notifications in your acceptance email?

Congrats btw :)

May I ask when you got that under review email? I sent GW in on 12/8 and was verified soon thereafter but I'm just being a little impatient waiting on that app complete email!

May I ask when you got that under review email? I sent GW in on 12/8 and was verified soon thereafter but I'm just being a little impatient waiting on that app complete email!
Just wanted to let you know I applied to GW on December 4th and I haven't received an application complete email, if that makes you feel any better

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! For GW, did you get any scholarship notifications in your acceptance email?

Congrats btw :)
Just wanted to let you know I applied to GW on December 4th and I haven't received an application complete email, if that makes you feel any better

Thank you! I got my "under review" email from GW on 11/18 and was accepted on 12/6. I did have to reach out to them because I knew my applications were complete on 11/14 and hadn't heard that my app was under review until I sent an email and asked them directly.

And they said they would let me know if I qualified for any scholarships in 2 business weeks! I think others who have been accepted have been hearing from them sporadically about scholarships.

Thank you! I got my "under review" email from GW on 11/18 and was accepted on 12/6. I did have to reach out to them because I knew my applications were complete on 11/14 and hadn't heard that my app was under review until I sent an email and asked them directly.

And they said they would let me know if I qualified for any scholarships in 2 business weeks! I think others who have been accepted have been hearing from them sporadically about scholarships.

I heard back about GW scholarships exactly 2 weeks after I was accepted

Did anyone else get the email from Yale that says that gives you the personalized webpage and let's you know that the admissions are on rolling basis. The email says it's personalized thank you, but it also seems pretty generic haha. I applied to the MPH for the CDE concentration.

Just got into UNC's Healthy Policy MPH program (full-time residential program) :)

Reactions: 7 users
Did anyone else get the email from Yale that says that gives you the personalized webpage and let's you know that the admissions are on rolling basis. The email says it's personalized thank you, but it also seems pretty generic haha. I applied to the MPH for the CDE concentration.

Yep got the same one!

I applied 11/29 and haven't received an email yet either haha

For those waiting on an "under review" Email from GWU, I applied on 11/15 and it didn't go under review until 11/25. I recommend reaching out to them as many folks that applied after me seemed to be processed before me--the admissions coordinator ended up pushing my app through after I messaged her to inquire about my app status.

Did anyone get accepted into the Rutgers spring 2020 program yet? I haven’t heard a word from them yet.

getting an email from “GWSPH Financial Aid” and it’s NOT my financial aid info? It’s just a webinar? GW!! Not cool.

(It’s been almost 3 weeks since I got accepted, so now I’m getting antsy)

I applied to The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston SPH / Health Promotion and Health Education.
Congrats! I am still waiting for a response. I recently changed my track from Epi to Health Promotion and behavioural sciences after talking to a Epi professor! And I haven’t heard from them. I am a little worried about how long they might take since a new admissions committee is reviewing my application.

How much do y'all think the job between fall graduation and program start date actually matters? I have one lined up but I could really use a break......sos

Just got into Drexel for their environmental program :) is anyone else applying?

I have a simple question (I'm an international applicant),

When we hear from universities, do we get a direct email or do we need to login to the portals individually?

I've applied to JHU, Yale, Columbia and Harvard FYI

I have a simple question (I'm an international applicant),

When we hear from universities, do we get a direct email or do we need to login to the portals individually?

I've applied to JHU, Yale, Columbia and Harvard FYI

They should email you directly with decision, unless specifically stated otherwise! Most “received” emails also say how they’ll reach out to you.

For those waiting on an "under review" Email from GWU, I applied on 11/15 and it didn't go under review until 11/25. I recommend reaching out to them as many folks that applied after me seemed to be processed before me--the admissions coordinator ended up pushing my app through after I messaged her to inquire about my app status.

Thanks for the advice!! I submitted on 12/1 so I’m one of those getting worried. How long was it between you emailing them and getting the received confirmation?

Anybody hear anything from Emory yet? They said they’d start reviewing applications in November but I haven’t heard anything- not even an email saying they got my application.

Not to make everyone anxiously check their portals like maniacs as I have done for the last week but JHU's portal apparently updates decisions before emailing you within 24-48 hours and wow finally some good news this semester. Wishing y'all the best!!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm in the same boat:(
I saw on the 2019 forum that people were getting decisions for Emory on the 12th and 19th of December. Maybe they're planning on reaching out at least before Christmas?

Last edited:
I haven't received anything like a confirmation email or portal link from Emory either and I applied in October.