MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Officially accepted my offer at BU due to an increase in scholarship funding to 45% off of tuition! Additionally, I'm really inspired by faculty such as Dean Sandro Galea and the commitment to equity and activism at the school. I'd love to connect with anyone else who is committed to BU!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
What should I say? Would he bothered if I emailed him regarding financial aid offers?

also I’m MSPH not MPH. Does that matter?
For the MPH program, he has mentioned in webinars that he would be the point of contact when it comes to finances. I would email the main point of contact for the MSPH program.

As for what to say, I would mention that you're likely feeling pressed for time because the deadline to commit is soon and you have not received your financial aid package yet. If JHU is one of your top choices, I would mention that so they feel like they're gaining something from this email exchange. Also, if you have any updates about the status of your IRS form, I would mention that too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello! has anyone heard about whether JHU will be doing the Fall term online yet?
For the MPH program, all they said is the summer term will be offered online and the fall term, which begins on August 31, is expected to be onsite.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After much consideration and a lot of discussions, I have decided to commit to the MSPH program in international health at Johns Hopkins! It was an incredibly difficult decision and I appreciate all of your help and advice. I think the program at Hopkins is the one best aligned with my career goals and a lot less disruptive to my life in general ( since I am from Maryland). I still have the reservations about being able to do well in such an intensive program, having excessive test anxiety and all but hopefully I can push through it.
I do want to share that I’ll be taking out around 33K in loans to cover my first year and hopefully I won’t need any more for my second year. I still think the cost of this program is extremely bad and discouraging to people who can’t afford it. I am banking on the hope that I will be able to land a job that will allow me to pay it off in a relatively short amount of time. Since I wasn’t given any significant support from any other school the price was comparable to the most of my other options, living in my home state makes it a little cheaper.

I’m so thrilled to be finally decided and I am extremely excited to start this program, hopefully in person. If there are any other MSPH students going into the program this fall, feel free to DM me! It’d be great to know some people before going in. Good luck to all of you and stay safe!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Officially committed to Harvard! Huge thanks to everyone who contributed to this forum. It was a great source of information and support during a period of high stress and uncertainty. To future applicants, please feel free to message me - I'd love to pay it forward. Best of luck to everyone on your future endeavors! I look forward to seeing all of our contributions to the field.

Reactions: 12 users
Accepted my offer of admission at the University of Michigan! :love: The faculty have been so helpful for me and they were one of the only programs that didn't routinely ignore my emails. My decision ultimately came down to cost and so I consider myself really lucky that the cheapest program for me was also one I am really excited about.

If there's a page or chat for University of Michigan students, I would love to be added (or message me and we can start one if there isn't already)!!

Thanks to everyone on this page for all the support. I was able to find information here that wasn't anywhere else and I can't imagine how confusing this process would have been without all your help. Good luck to everyone, and I'm going to stick around to see where all you end up!

Reactions: 11 users
Officially accepted my offer at BU due to an increase in scholarship funding to 45% off of tuition! Additionally, I'm really inspired by faculty such as Dean Sandro Galea and the commitment to equity and activism at the school. I'd love to connect with anyone else who is committed to BU!

BU is my top choice. Would you be open to letting me know how you were able to receive additional funding? I am thinking I may reach out to see if they are willing to increase funding support. :)

For the MPH program, he has mentioned in webinars that he would be the point of contact when it comes to finances. I would email the main point of contact for the MSPH program.

As for what to say, I would mention that you're likely feeling pressed for time because the deadline to commit is soon and you have not received your financial aid package yet. If JHU is one of your top choices, I would mention that so they feel like they're gaining something from this email exchange. Also, if you have any updates about the status of your IRS form, I would mention that too.

So I actually already committed to JHU, do they know that? I sent in the IRS form but in my SIS portal it says “not reviewed.” I got another email notification that my application was incomplete when I sent everything in. I’m starting to get really worried that I won’t qualify for aids/loans if they don’t update my portal. Is that possible?

After much consideration and a lot of discussions, I have decided to commit to the MSPH program in international health at Johns Hopkins! It was an incredibly difficult decision and I appreciate all of your help and advice. I think the program at Hopkins is the one best aligned with my career goals and a lot less disruptive to my life in general ( since I am from Maryland). I still have the reservations about being able to do well in such an intensive program, having excessive test anxiety and all but hopefully I can push through it.
I do want to share that I’ll be taking out around 33K in loans to cover my first year and hopefully I won’t need any more for my second year. I still think the cost of this program is extremely bad and discouraging to people who can’t afford it. I am banking on the hope that I will be able to land a job that will allow me to pay it off in a relatively short amount of time. Since I wasn’t given any significant support from any other school the price was comparable to the most of my other options, living in my home state makes it a little cheaper.

I’m so thrilled to be finally decided and I am extremely excited to start this program, hopefully in person. If there are any other MSPH students going into the program this fall, feel free to DM me! It’d be great to know some people before going in. Good luck to all of you and stay safe!
I committed the same program!

Reactions: 4 users
BU is my top choice. Would you be open to letting me know how you were able to receive additional funding? I am thinking I may reach out to see if they are willing to increase funding support. :)

Hi! So I was a finalist for the Deans scholarship and I didn’t get the full amount so they added an extra 10% to my scholarship award. I didn’t directly appeal so I don’t know if I can help in that way, but I hope you are successful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi! So I was a finalist for the Deans scholarship and I didn’t get the full amount so they added an extra 10% to my scholarship award. I didn’t directly appeal so I don’t know if I can help in that way, but I hope you are successful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was very helpful! Thank you so much! :)

Is the cost of attendance provided by schools for one year or for both years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can I find information on when the harvard MPH-65 program starts and ends? I'm looking for exact dates. Their website says the degree can be completed in 3 semesters, which could mean that the overall COA is much lower than other programs just because it ends sooner.

So I actually already committed to JHU, do they know that? I sent in the IRS form but in my SIS portal it says “not reviewed.” I got another email notification that my application was incomplete when I sent everything in. I’m starting to get really worried that I won’t qualify for aids/loans if they don’t update my portal. Is that possible?
They should definitely know that you were accepted. I recommend emailing your program's coordinator and the department of financial aid tomorrow. Send your emails around 7:30-8AM EDT so it appears on the top of their inboxes.

They should definitely know that you were accepted. I recommend emailing your program's coordinator and the department of financial aid tomorrow. Send your emails around 7:30-8AM EDT so it appears on the top of their inboxes.
I already emailed FinAid on Friday— hoping they get back to me by tomorrow. If not, I’ll email the program coordinator for sure.

Hi Everyone -
Decision time is approaching, and I'm having a hard time choosing between Johns Hopkins, UNC, and Yale. I'd appreciate any input!

I am leaning to Harvard but still couldn't decide.
I declined UM, UMN, Emory, UCB, UCLA, and GW.
I got off the waitlist from Harvard (thanks to the angel who declined). So I hope somebody will feel the same feeling as me.

Hey everyone, does anyone know how generous Columbia is with their scholarship?

Also, does anyone have tips for deciding between choosing an MPH or just conducting research at the NIH for a year? Let me know your thoughts, sorry I know this isn't the forum to necessarily ask this in, but I figured if anyone will be advocating for the MPH it would be y'all

Update- appeal did NOT work for Columbia. I will be declining their offer by the end of the day, hopefully my 5k need will go to someone else!

• Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
Committed to UCLA HPM earlier this week! Let me know if anyone else is attending or if there is a facebook page!

Good luck and congrats to everyone making the stressful decision on where (and maybe when) to attend!

Finally got my other decision. In at Georgia State for Epi! But my gut is telling me to go with Emory so I think I’m going to commit there! Emory has been my dream program throughout my preparation for applying to MPH programs :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Finally got my other decision. In at Georgia State for Epi! But my gut is telling me to go with Emory so I think I’m going to commit there! Emory has been my dream program throughout my preparation for applying to MPH programs :)

Did GSU send you an email? Did you apply as priority or regular decision?
I went to Emory for undergrad! I feel like their MPH program has more variability of courses and of course they have a closer working relationship with the CDC and most agency’s. What kind of epi are you pursuing? Have you compared their courses to each other this might help you as well.

Might still be worth it to check in with your program though. I was told about a scholarship by email 2/21 but as of today, all that's showing in ConnectCarolina for me is loans.

Same, I also had a scholarship offer which was not reflected in ConnectCarolina. I emailed their office of financial aid to clarify and they said it doesn't include scholarships from the graduate department until the grad department uploads them into the system, which is in July.

Dartmouth doesn't give decisions till May 15th, will I lose my spots elsewhere if I wait to hear back from them and dont Commit anywhere else

Did you get aid from any of these schools?
Hi!

I didn't get any aid from Hopkins or Gillings, but I got a small scholarship at Yale. My only reservation about Johns Hopkins is that I would do most of the courses online, and I just don't know if the online experience would be the same as the on-campus experience.

Hi Everyone -
Decision time is approaching, and I'm having a hard time choosing between Johns Hopkins, UNC, and Yale. I'd appreciate any input!
Do you mind sharing what your interests are, what you're looking for in a program, and any other factors that may affect your decision (e.g. finances, location, etc.)? It is hard to give a recommendation without much to work with. Thanks!

Dartmouth doesn't give decisions till May 15th, will I lose my spots elsewhere if I wait to hear back from them and dont Commit anywhere else
I am in a similar situation with Dartmouth. I plan to accept to one of the other schools that I have been accepted to for now and wait for admissions and funding decisions.

Did GSU send you an email? Did you apply as priority or regular decision?
I went to Emory for undergrad! I feel like their MPH program has more variability of courses and of course they have a closer working relationship with the CDC and most agency’s. What kind of epi are you pursuing? Have you compared their courses to each other this might help you as well.
Yes they emailed me! I applied priority, my application was verified in SOPHAS back in mid October (almost 6 months ago). I’m at GSU for undergrad right now and I do enjoy it, but I think that Emory will benefit me more in the future. I’m looking into social epidemiology right now! I’ve been thinking of changing my concentration to BSHE but I think I’m gonna stick with Epi for right now.

Do you mind sharing what your interests are, what you're looking for in a program, and any other factors that may affect your decision (e.g. finances, location, etc.)? It is hard to give a recommendation without much to work with. Thanks!
Hi!!

My interests are in social and behavioral sciences and cancer epidemiology. I'm from Boston, so I prefer to stay somewhere in the northeast. My ONLY reservation about UNC is the location. I find it hard to let UNC go, though, because I was fortunate to visit the campus in-person for admitted students day. I love the welcoming, student-oriented culture there, and if UNC was closer to Boston, there would be no question of where I would attend.

I applied as a part-time student at Johns Hopkins because of the flexibility of doing courses online OR in-person. However, I think I would do most of the courses online, as I prefer to be close to Boston. I was doing a bit more introspection on my learning style, and I prefer to do classes in-person. I just don't know if an online MPH is equivalent to the experience of an on-campus MPH. Hence my reservations about Hopkins.

Yale seems to be a good fit regarding learning style and location. It is done in a traditional classroom setting, and I think I would be quite happy there. Location is good - just two hours away from Boston. However, it IS the most expensive of the three schools I am looking at (Hopkins, UNC, and Yale). That being said, it is not as well-ranked as Hopkins or UNC (in my opinion, rankings don't really matter - but I don't know if the rankings matter to employers).

Phew - long post. But I really appreciate any input. I just feel like I'm always back to square one.

Has anyone not yet received their financial aid package from Hopkins?

about to have an actual breakdown because i cannot communicate with them at all. they keep saying they need a document that was accepted 2 weeks ago. i already committed/paid my deposit/ declined my other offers. I don't even know what to do. i wish i could call them.. but coronavirus.

does anyone know if when i receive my financial aid package affects my ability to qualify for federal loans?

Last edited:
Did anyone directly email admission about extending their commit deadline? My schools haven't sent an email out saying that they would extend the date.

Has anyone not yet received their financial aid package from Hopkins?

about to have an actual breakdown because i cannot communicate with them at all. they keep saying they need a document that was accepted 2 weeks ago. i already committed/paid my deposit/ declined my other offers. I don't even know what to do. i wish i could call them.. but coronavirus.

does anyone know if when i receive my financial aid package affects my ability to qualify for federal loans?
I don’t think the Grad PLUS application opens until June so there’s still time for that! And I think you need to take out the full amount of loans the school offers you before applying for Grad PLUS so I don’t think it will effect anything unless you miss the Grad PLUS deadline later in the summer. I would keep an eye out for information on that either through JHU or DOE. I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time getting through to them right now.

Hi!!

My interests are in social and behavioral sciences and cancer epidemiology. I'm from Boston, so I prefer to stay somewhere in the northeast. My ONLY reservation about UNC is the location. I find it hard to let UNC go, though, because I was fortunate to visit the campus in-person for admitted students day. I love the welcoming, student-oriented culture there, and if UNC was closer to Boston, there would be no question of where I would attend.

I applied as a part-time student at Johns Hopkins because of the flexibility of doing courses online OR in-person. However, I think I would do most of the courses online, as I prefer to be close to Boston. I was doing a bit more introspection on my learning style, and I prefer to do classes in-person. I just don't know if an online MPH is equivalent to the experience of an on-campus MPH. Hence my reservations about Hopkins.

Yale seems to be a good fit regarding learning style and location. It is done in a traditional classroom setting, and I think I would be quite happy there. Location is good - just two hours away from Boston. However, it IS the most expensive of the three schools I am looking at (Hopkins, UNC, and Yale). That being said, it is not as well-ranked as Hopkins or UNC (in my opinion, rankings don't really matter - but I don't know if the rankings matter to employers).

Phew - long post. But I really appreciate any input. I just feel like I'm always back to square one.
Thanks for the fill-in. Feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

In general, I would say:
1) It never hurts to obtain more information about a university. To determine which program best fits your scholastic needs and/or prepares you best for your career aspirations, contact as many students or alumni you can. Juxtapose all the pros and cons.
2) MPH programs are no longer than two years long, but I understand that obtaining higher education typically involves sacrifice. Given the info you gained from point 1, ask yourself whether or not your place of residence takes precedence over your ability to attend a school that best fits you. You do not want to look back and say that you wish you went somewhere else. I feel like your answer to this question will heavily influence your decision.

If your decision remains cloudy despite doing the aforementioned, here are some further steps you can take with Hopkins and Yale. If I had to take a guess, you probably know more about UNC than the other two because you attended their ASD, so I didn't include anything for them.

Hopkins:
1) I would get in contact with current Hopkins MPH students and inquire about their experience taking online classes. This should be able to tell you quickly if this is something you wish to do.
2) I would ask if you can become a full-time MPH student since JHU's full-time MPH program is 11 months long as opposed to two years. While it means you have to leave Boston for a year to be onsite, you get to go back sooner. You can email Marie Diener-West, the Chair of the MPH program, about this.

Yale:
1) I would ask if you can obtain a scholarship/need-based aid only if Yale is the best fit for you and the decision comes down to money. I can help you with the process since I was successfully able to appeal for merit aid at JHU. Affordability is a huge factor, indeed.

I apologize for the long response, but this is an important time for you and I want to provide my best assistance. Hope this helps!

Committed to Hopkins for my MHS! Does anyone know if there's an admitted students group on facebook?

Reactions: 2 users
Committed to UCLA HPM earlier this week! Let me know if anyone else is attending or if there is a facebook page!

Good luck and congrats to everyone making the stressful decision on where (and maybe when) to attend!
did they give you your offer yet?

Officially committed and paid my deposit for Columbia SMS for Fall 2020! Thank you to everyone in this forum for your support, insight, and guidance through this whole process. I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to working with you as colleagues in our bright futures ahead! :joyful:

Reactions: 11 users
Did anyone directly email admission about extending their commit deadline? My schools haven't sent an email out saying that they would extend the date.

I got two schools to extend the deadline. For both, it’s on a case by case basis. For my third school, they are still deciding and say that they will make a decision soon.

Where can I find information on when the harvard MPH-65 program starts and ends? I'm looking for exact dates. Their website says the degree can be completed in 3 semesters, which could mean that the overall COA is much lower than other programs just because it ends sooner.
From what I remember it is 1.5 years, it starts around August and ends in December -- however, you can't be awarded your degree until March or something, so there's a bit of an awkward gap in terms of starting jobs. There should be exact-ish dates on their academic calendar. I know they technically teach in quarters, though some classes are full semesters. None of the schools at Harvard really line up calendar-wise, which is annoying too https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/registrar/calendar/

Does anyone know anything about what will happen for out-of-state students at public universities if classes are online in fall 2020 with regards to gaining residency to get in-state tuition? I had factored getting in-state tuition in my calculations but now I'm a little concerned. I emailed the school but I doubt they already have policies in place regarding this strange situation.

**for schools in states with a requirement of 1 year of physical presence to get residency

Does anyone any information on CUNY SPH? Such as research opportunties, faculty, campus, and the general feel of the school?

Does anyone know anything about what will happen for out-of-state students at public universities if classes are online in fall 2020 with regards to gaining residency to get in-state tuition? I had factored getting in-state tuition in my calculations but now I'm a little concerned. I emailed the school but I doubt they already have policies in place regarding this strange situation.

**for schools in states with a requirement of 1 year of physical presence to get residency
Does it have to be at least 1 year? I read that you can apply for in-state tuition if you change your license, car tags and file your taxes in that state for that year...but I guess it may depend on that state or school?

I appealed GW aid a few weeks back and they came back yesterday giving me more money! Wasn't expecting that, but it still isn't *enough*. With that money, the tuition cost would be less for GW than my Yale tuition would be with scholarship, but then cost of living will be significantly more so it ends up being about the same cost either way. Tufts also gave me a small scholarship for the MS in Agriculture, Food, and Environment, but it's much less than Yale or GW plus cost of living in Boston is huge. So I really think it's going to be Yale for me, because aside from finances, there is also a professor I have already been in touch with to work with on exactly the research I am interested in and I like the interdisciplinary nature of Yale, the ability to take courses in other schools, and the smaller school. I need to mull over it a little longer because I am worried about making the wrong decision, especially when I have schools ranked in the top 10 and I'm choosing a number 15 school, but I can't seriously consider any of the top 10 anyways because they didn't give me any aid! I just can't justify a school like Columbia or Emory with absolutely no aid and I don't feel like either school gives me exactly what I'm looking for. I know ranking only matters so much ultimately and if a school feels like the right fit for me that's what matters most, but I am still afraid to fully commit, terrified I'll make the wrong decision!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does it have to be at least 1 year? I read that you can apply for in-state tuition if you change your license, car tags and file your taxes in that state for that year...but I guess it may depend on that state or school?
It does depend on the state. For example Michigan told me it's very unlikely that a student will get in-state the second year but all you have to do for NC you do have to transfer your license (and etc.) and live there for a year.

Last edited:
Hi all, has anyone successfully gotten a deferral either from Columbia or somewhere else? Considering requesting one due to the circumstances and would love any insight! Thanks!

It does depend on the state. For example Michigan told me it's very unlikely that a student will get in-state the second year but all you have to do for NC you do have to transfer your license (and etc.) and live there for a year.
I automatically assumed anyone got in state tuition after the first year because that's how it works in every other state I know someone in and that major reduction in price was one of the main reasons I chose that program. I am not sure what to do right now.... I rejected my offer of admission everywhere else so I guess I just need to pay the price for that mistake.

Hi all, has anyone successfully gotten a deferral either from Columbia or somewhere else? Considering requesting one due to the circumstances and would love any insight! Thanks!
I successfully deferred Columbia! I requested the deferral in the portal under the decision tab and waited a couple of days, I hadn’t heard anything so I sent an email to admissions and I received an updated admissions decision a few hours later saying they accepted my request and deferred my admissions to 2021.