MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard back from SDSU or UCLA? I'm beginning to think they have forgoten me....lol
I would email them to check on the status!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone tune into the live chat with Alumni from Columbia on Tuesday who? There are so many virtual sessions for so many schools that I miss some of them :( just want to know what the alumni are doing now and any good advice or input they had

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations that's amazing! I did not know that they would release decisions earlier than mid May for waitlist candidates. If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to get off of the waitlist after your initial decision?

Hey there, I wasn't expecting news before May either. I did not follow up with Harvard in any way since the waitlist decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys
I am excited to share that I got accepted into CUNY’s MPH program for community health. Can anybody share more info with me about CUNY’s programs? Specifically looking into the opportunity to intern and pursue a paid part time practicum. DM me if you have info.!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Officially committed to Yale and turned down my other offers. I'll list my thought process in case it will help.

Initially I was absolutely determined to go to Harvard, with the connections, faculty, and numerous resources as my main reasons. However, once I received my lackluster financial aid package, Harvard lost a lot of the initial charm; it felt like although I was accepted, I wasn't going to be a main priority.

Comparing Yale and Harvard, I was happy to have professors who had similar research interests to me mine at both institutions. Although Harvard has its immense repository of resources, connections, and top notch faculty, Yale is no slouch either. With the close relationship and collaborative research between the two institutions, proactiveness can allow me to access some of Boston and Harvard's wealth of resources (and honestly, will I have time to be working 3 research positions at a time on top of classes? probably not). The accessibility of faculty and feeling of community at Yale is another huge strength for me. Yale only has 5-6 doctoral students vs. Harvard's larger program, which in my mind means that faculty will have more time to dedicate to the master's cohort at Yale. Both schools are academically strong, Yale is more tight-knit, and factoring in the cheaper cost of living in New Haven + convenience of transport basically meant that Yale wins over Harvard.

Then it came down to figuring out Berkeley vs. Yale. I love Berkeley and the Bay Area, having done my undergraduate there, but staying 6 years in the same area meant I was itching to explore other places. Cost would be cheaper in Berkeley, but surprisingly not by much. I was fortunate enough to have received money from Yale, and the cost of living in the Bay Area + commute fees are astronomical. Yes, Berkeley has GSR/GSI positions which can include tuition remission. But Yale also has teaching and research fellowships, and while they do not cover full tuition, they do pay well. Yale overall is also richer than Berkeley, meaning there are tons of financial resources that are available if one is active with searching. The biggest factor though was probably Berkeley's lack of a medical school (UCSF is there, but it takes an hour each way to get to campus via public transport, time that I don't have). As I hope to get an MD after my MPH, this was pretty much the dealbreaker for me.

So I will be heading to New Haven in the fall, hopefully for in-person classes! I'm really happy to have gone through the application process with everyone here, and I hope to see you all do great things in the future.

Signing off, stay healthy!!

35hi100

P.S. Screw rankings, the only rankings that matter should be how well the program fits your needs.

Reactions: 10 users
Congratulations that's amazing! I did not know that they would release decisions earlier than mid May for waitlist candidates. If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to get off of the waitlist after your initial decision?
I also think a good number of people who were admitted to Harvard declined the offer on March 31 because that's when they sent the email finalizing the financial aid package and I think a lot of people (like me) turned right around to decline the offer seeing how their financial aid isn't the best. That probably opened up spots for people on the waitlist!

I’m super conflicted... deciding between BU and Brown. I got accepted into their MPH programs both in Epi with 25% scholarship. I’m also Canadian so I need to figure out which program will allow me to stay and work in the US after graduation.

Brown:
pro: cheaper than Boston, Ivy, quantitative focus, small tight knit community
con: small young program, not STEM eligible, career outcomes of graduates not certain

BU:
pro: solid reputation and career outcomes, STEM OPT eligible
cons: high living costs, seems like a factory churning out graduates

Need some solid advice from reputable sources about the pros of Brown and BU!

BTW if anyone knows more about getting a job via TN visa for epidemiologists lmk!
bump

They dont know if classes will be online. You are able to defer but if you do, then you forfeit your scholarship aware...
oh no :( do you think they will reconsider the cost of tuition if it does become online?

This was crazy but I was rejected from Berkeley on 3/4, but a few days ago they pulled my rejection and sent me an acceptance letter for the MPH in Epi & Biostats program! Turns out there was a bit of an administrative error so I definitely encourage folks to follow up with applications if they haven't heard back. Or, ask for feedback if you got rejected. You never know what could happen. I'm so grateful because this was my first choice program! I've committed to Berkeley for 2020!

Good luck everyone with your future endeavors. Stay safe and stay in!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from SDSU or UCLA? I'm beginning to think they have forgoten me....lol
Lol, I sent my application and supporting documents by Early Jan. I finally heard back from SDSU yesterday morning!

I just heard from SDSU! I got accepted there :)
Congrats!! :) :) I got into their Epi & Biostats program. I also got an email indicating we are responsible to prepare in advance for statistics. How are you preparing for the biostatistics coursework? Are there any courses we can take online (free/affordable) to get well trained prior to starting a program?

Last edited:
Officially committed to Yale and turned down my other offers. I'll list my thought process in case it will help.

Initially I was absolutely determined to go to Harvard, with the connections, faculty, and numerous resources as my main reasons. However, once I received my lackluster financial aid package, Harvard lost a lot of the initial charm; it felt like although I was accepted, I wasn't going to be a main priority.

Comparing Yale and Harvard, I was happy to have professors who had similar research interests to me mine at both institutions. Although Harvard has its immense repository of resources, connections, and top notch faculty, Yale is no slouch either. With the close relationship and collaborative research between the two institutions, proactiveness can allow me to access some of Boston and Harvard's wealth of resources (and honestly, will I have time to be working 3 research positions at a time on top of classes? probably not). The accessibility of faculty and feeling of community at Yale is another huge strength for me. Yale only has 5-6 doctoral students vs. Harvard's larger program, which in my mind means that faculty will have more time to dedicate to the master's cohort at Yale. Both schools are academically strong, Yale is more tight-knit, and factoring in the cheaper cost of living in New Haven + convenience of transport basically meant that Yale wins over Harvard.

Then it came down to figuring out Berkeley vs. Yale. I love Berkeley and the Bay Area, having done my undergraduate there, but staying 6 years in the same area meant I was itching to explore other places. Cost would be cheaper in Berkeley, but surprisingly not by much. I was fortunate enough to have received money from Yale, and the cost of living in the Bay Area + commute fees are astronomical. Yes, Berkeley has GSR/GSI positions which can include tuition remission. But Yale also has teaching and research fellowships, and while they do not cover full tuition, they do pay well. Yale overall is also richer than Berkeley, meaning there are tons of financial resources that are available if one is active with searching. The biggest factor though was probably Berkeley's lack of a medical school (UCSF is there, but it takes an hour each way to get to campus via public transport, time that I don't have). As I hope to get an MD after my MPH, this was pretty much the dealbreaker for me.

So I will be heading to New Haven in the fall, hopefully for in-person classes! I'm really happy to have gone through the application process with everyone here, and I hope to see you all do great things in the future.

Signing off, stay healthy!!

35hi100

P.S. Screw rankings, the only rankings that matter should be how well the program fits your needs.
Congrats! Totally agree with your last remark. Also, I did my undergrad at UCB! #GoBears

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
This was crazy but I was rejected from Berkeley on 3/4, but a few days ago they pulled my rejection and sent me an acceptance letter for the MPH in Epi & Biostats program! Turns out there was a bit of an administrative error so I definitely encourage folks to follow up with applications if they haven't heard back. Or, ask for feedback if you got rejected. You never know what could happen. I'm so grateful because this was my first choice program! I've committed to Berkeley for 2020!

Good luck everyone with your future endeavors. Stay safe and stay in!
That's miraculous! Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 users
I have no credibility with regard to knowledge about Brown and BU, but I definitely would suggest getting in touch with students from both universities if you haven't already. Have Zoom meetings or phone calls and get connected!

I used LinkedIn to get in touch with many individuals who went to the same undergrad institution (commonality that serves as a small talking point) and are current students/alumni from the universities I got accepted to. They then referred me to others who shared similar public health interests. Once you get the ball rolling, you will eventually find someone who can speak about your concerns in great detail.

Best of luck!

To those whom this may pertain: I spoke with numerous individuals from JHU MPH Admissions and Financial Aid and here's what we know so far. I am not sure if this applies to the MSPH program, but the education system there is so connected that I believe that these admits can have some security with the following information.
  1. If you obtained a scholarship and/or an enrollment deposit waiver and elect to defer admission to next year, you will not lose your award(s).
  2. If you committed to JHU and want to defer later on you can. They will update us with the tentative deadline to defer by. You also receive the benefits from point 1.
  3. If you recently obtained a scholarship (i.e. you appealed for one) and was given the April 2nd tentative due date to accept your award, do not worry. You can wait for the Department of Financial Aid to update your SIS Portal.
  4. About the coronavirus, to those worried about what the university will do next term, they will release a statement by the end of the week.
Thanks for this info it's really helpful! I also committed but am considering deferring as I'm an international student and I don't want to do a whole program online... but I also really don't want to stay in my current job another year! Really hoping they stick to what they've told you regarding awards.

Thanks for this info it's really helpful! I also committed but am considering deferring as I'm an international student and I don't want to do a whole program online... but I also really don't want to stay in my current job another year! Really hoping they stick to what they've told you regarding awards.
I think they'll stick to it. I obtained this info from the Chair of the MPH program, the Associate Director of Student Affairs at the Office of Financial Aid, the MPH Senior Program Manager, and an Academic Services Assistant at the Office of Admissions Services.

I'm currently formulating a plan B just in case I defer.

Last edited:
Congrats!! :) :) I got into their Epi & Biostats program. I also got an email indicating we are responsible to prepare in advance for statistics. How are you preparing for the biostatistics coursework? Are there any courses we can take online (free/affordable) to get well trained prior to starting a program?

I would suggest looking on coursera to see if maybE SDSU has an online course already for it or another school.

I got off the waitlist of Harvard in the end!
I almost gave up, but I finally did it! I am so happy.
But I am considering the deferral due to the COVID-19 situation.
Anyone else who deferred Harvard?

I'm in the same boat! I got off the waitlist but am stressed because due to the high cost of Harvard tuition, online classes aren't worth it.

oh no :( do you think they will reconsider the cost of tuition if it does become online?
Hello!

I actually tuned into the live recorded financial aid event on zoom for Yale and I remember hearing the financial aid director say that in light of the COVID-19 situation you may be able to defer a year and not forfeit your financial aid package. She did say that this only applies to students who are are unable to physically come to campus due to the COVID-19 (assuming we have classes on-campus). She also said that you can email her and ask her any questions you may have. She mentioned that most students end up deciding to not defer after going through the pros and cons of doing so. One more thing that she mentioned was that they are considering having exemptions for forfeiting your financial aid for other circumstances related to the COVID-19 situation.

I'm in the same boat! I got off the waitlist but am stressed because due to the high cost of Harvard tuition, online classes aren't worth it.

Totally Same! Though it is Harvard, expensive tuition and online classes might be not worth.

Last edited:
I am really torn between the ScM in Epi at JHu and the MPH in Epi at Columbia. If there is anyone that can offer any advice or if anyone is also making the same choice and wants to commiserate please let me know! I was really hoping the admitted student day would be a deciding factor for me but that was obviously not possible! I'm trying to watch as many of the virtual videos as possible but it has gotten difficult with my work schedule ramping up due to covid-19.

Brown is super quantitative-heavy and more research rather than application focused. Also networking/internship opportunities are somewhat limited within Providence itself, you might have to travel to other big cities in the Northeast if you want more options. (source: previous years' threads)

I do not know if those committed to the MPH program at Johns Hopkins received this email, but I will copy and paste it below. I apologize, in advance, for the length.

We cannot wait to welcome you this summer as part of our MPH Centennial Class!

The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health has decided to suspend onsite courses and offer only online academic courses and activities through August 26 (the end of summer term). Safety continues to be paramount during the uncertain time of this worldwide pandemic. Now, more than ever, public health needs talented, committed persons like you to be trained and equipped with skills to address this global challenge (and others).

We will hold MPH Orientation and full-time summer term courses and activities as usual, with the only difference being that all activities will be held remotely. The summer term is an exciting time in which students will still get to know each other, learn together with faculty in their summer courses, and attend information sessions and social functions. All of these activities will allow you to bond as the Centennial Class, have a high quality educational experience, and make plans for courses and other activities for when you are onsite for the first term that starts on August 31. The online summer term will provide time for our worldwide health situation to improve and for you to prepare for travel, obtain visas, and identify housing accommodations.

Our MPH program will be flexible to accommodate your specific situation. Some of you may be involved in COVID-19 related activities and are wondering if you would be able to devote time to studies during the summer term; some of you may have other commitments. If you find that this is the case in July, you will be able to take a reduced number of courses. If you do not enroll in a full-time course load, we will provide the opportunity for you to take additional courses during the Winter Institute in January. You can choose options that work best for you.

I’d like to give you a flavor of the upcoming summer activities:

Thurs, June 25: International Student Information Day (conducted via Zoom)
- An introduction held for international students to American culture, academics and life in Baltimore
- International MPH students are matched with recent MPH graduates

Mon, June 29 and Tues, June 30: MPH Orientation (conducted via Zoom) which includes:
- An introduction to the School, MPH Overview, Student Services, Library Orientation
- Summer advising group of about 15 students with your summer faculty advisor (a faculty member who is on the MPH Executive Board)
- Social networking with students, faculty and staff

Full-time Classes Start on July 1:
- Our established online core courses plus several online elective courses.
- Our online courses and custom course management system (CoursePlusTM) allows both asynchronous (learning activities that can be accomplished at a time convenient for you) and synchronous (in real time) components. This allows students from every time zone around the world to receive a meaningful and high quality education.
- Please register by April 27 for the April offering of Introduction to Online Learning (IOL) Introduction to Online Learning: Course Home which is a prerequisite for taking any of our online courses and takes only 1-4 hours to complete.
- Small group exercises
- Teaching assistant office hours
- The Introduction to MPH Studies is a course that will include many information sessions that will provide answers to your questions regarding: selecting core courses, deciding to choose a concentration area or customizing electives; certificate programs; planning your curriculum and goals analysis; the MPH practicum, the MPH capstone; academic ethics; student public health societies, etc.

Other Activities:
- Individual meetings with your Summer Faculty Advisor or MPH Academic Coordinator
- Professional Development and Career Services
- Networking Activities including Coffee without Borders: 1:1 meetings of students to get to know each other) and Friday Happy Hours: group networking
- Much more!

In addition, there will be an online Pre-Orientation site to which you will have access by April 27. This site will provide more details and information that will be helpful to you while making plans for starting your MPH program in late June. We also will keep you updated via email.

Please do visit COVID-19 School of Public Health Expert Insights for the latest COVID-19 content from the Bloomberg School. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. Please continue to stay safe and well. Thank you for all that you are doing to fight the spread of this virus!

Sincerely yours,
Marie Diener-West, PhD

Chair, Master of Public Health Program
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health

Hi all,
Will be applying to schools for MPH programs next year(mostly for health behavior and community health) my GPA should be around a 3.1-3.2 around applying and expecting my GRE scores to be around the 65th percentile, schools i am thinking of applying to are: UNC, Michigan,Georgia,Tennessee,South Carolina,Utah,UNC-Charlotte
Just wondering how you all think my chances are at these schools with my stats
Welcome! What a time to pursue public health! Regarding your concern, it is hard to say. Many public health institutions review your application package holistically. While you may have the stats to get in, they do place emphasis on your extracurricular activities, especially those that are related to public health.

However, you may be able to answer your own question. Some public health institutions post the average or median GPA and GRE scores for matriculants on their websites. Check those out when you have the chance!

I'm not sure if I can help in any way, but I'm in a sort of similar situation, so if anyone could be as kind as to give me any good advice, I would deeply appreciate it.

I have actually already committed to Hopkins. It was always my first choice for numerous reasons, and being an international student, most programs would end up being similarly priced (at least within the US). Anyhow, I accepted my offer a few weeks ago, but surprise, the COVID-19 pandemic happened.

I am from Mexico, and unfortunately, the Mexican peso has lost quite a lot of value in the last couple of weeks alone, which means that, compared to when I originally made my budget to attend JHU, I would be paying at least 30% more in total cost (that is, if the peso does not continue losing value against the dollar).

I have looked at all my savings for Grad school lose and lose and lose their value for the last couple of weeks. So, my amazing parents were going to help me with quite a lot of money, and they are still resolute about it and told me we would find a way. However, as of late, I have been thinking of withdrawing from JHU and enrolling in the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I actually accepted my place there as well since you had to in order to apply for internal scholarships (they waived the need to put down a deposit until the results are published).

So, while Hopkins more closely aligns with my interests and my future professional goals, I am just having seconds thoughts about paying such an excessive amount of money (which is literally increasing by the day) if I can get a world-class education for three times less than that somewhere else. And LSHTM has always been my second choice, so It's not like I would actually go to a program that I don't want to go to. I guess I am simply having a lot of trouble convincing myself that, in light of the current situation, paying all that extra money would be worth it for whatever professional/research goals I had in mind.

Firstly, congratulations getting into two top public health schools! I commend you for doing that, and with pressing forward despite the issues in Mexico, I really feel sorry for the people of Mexico, I take it AMLO sort of now half embraces social distancing a small amount, but also many people in Mexico City are still going about their business, for many of them they don't really have a choice in terms of making a living.

Personally I would go to LSHTM over JHU, I feel that their student body is more diverse in London and that in the end LSHTM has a deeper bench in terms of super knowledgeable faculty who really focus on public health, both great schools obviously! If Peter Piot is still the head of LSHTM it would be great to learn from him or just meet him, though JHU has stellar faculty too.

I think price is an issue, I've read on this board that JHU alumina too have trouble finding jobs, if a recession hits I think it is better to have some flexibility with regards to loans. Just my 2 cents!

Anyone deferring to next year? Can you tell me your thought process?
I deferred until Fall 2021! It came down to not wanting my first semester and/or potentially my first year of grad school being online. If I wanted to get my MPH online I would've applied to my alma mater and done the degree entirely online while working, but I wanted the added experience of a practicum, the connections through the alumni network, events held by the university, direct access to faculty, location, etc. And at Columbia specifically the first semesters course-load is very rigorous and it would have sucked to do it online and not have the direct support of peers and faculty that is ideal in the cohort setting.

I really just decided it was worth it to wait a year to get through this pandemic so that I can get as much out of the program as possible, not to mention I wasn't going to pay $35k a year for online classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone appealed financial aid and never heard back? I know this isn't a really long time, but I appealed 1.5 weeks ago and followed up twice at JHU and haven't gotten a single response to any of the emails. I'm on a really tight deadline (today lol) to make a decision and I would hate to decline an offer at a school just because I can't get in contact with anyone.

Anyone attending GW with a May 2020 start (not sure if there was anyone - I think most of us are Fall 2020), they just announced that summer 2020 classes will be online due to COVID-19.

Hey! So I know a lot of people are considering deferring because there’s a possibility of going online which I agree would be a bummer and not what I anticipated. I just wanted to offer and alternative perspective that we are entering such an important field right now as we will be experiencing the ramifications in all areas of COVID-19 for years to come. The world needs public health professionals now more than ever! So I know there’s uncertainty about how our first year of grad school will look... but I hope when you’re weighing the options we can also consider that completing our first semester online might be worth still supporting great institutions and the advancement of public health as a whole! I know everyone’s circumstances are different but just a little food for thought :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 19 users
Does anyone have any insight on Colorado School of Public Health-specifically the CU Anschutz campus? I have narrowed down to CU and UMich and am not sure what to do.

Just paid my deposit for MPH Public Health Genetics at UW! If anyone else is committing to UW, feel free to message me! As far as I know, there isn't a Facebook group so we should get one started, or maybe a GroupMe or something.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else receive a ups notification about a package from Emory??

Has anyone appealed financial aid and never heard back? I know this isn't a really long time, but I appealed 1.5 weeks ago and followed up twice at JHU and haven't gotten a single response to any of the emails. I'm on a really tight deadline (today lol) to make a decision and I would hate to decline an offer at a school just because I can't get in contact with anyone.
Good luck getting in touch with them. I still have not received my financial aid offer from them because of their poor communication over an IRS form.

Good luck getting in touch with them. I still have not received my financial aid offer from them because of their poor communication over an IRS form.
Thanks! I'm sorry about your situation, I can't believe you haven't gotten your initial offer yet :/
I'm in a huge dilemma right now, because it's the end of their business day so I won't hear anything most likely until Monday (if then) and I told the other program I'd let them know by today....

Thanks! I'm sorry about your situation, I can't believe you haven't gotten your initial offer yet :/
I'm in a huge dilemma right now, because it's the end of their business day so I won't hear anything most likely until Monday (if then) and I told the other program I'd let them know by today....
This honestly sucks. I have not had any problems getting in touch with anyone. Try emailing Paul Whong ([email protected]). He is the
Director of Student Services and Academic Affairs for the MPH program.

Hello everyone, after much thought I have finally decided to accept my offer at the Yale School of Public Health in the Department of Chronic Disease Epidemiology!

I narrowed down my options to UW and Yale and ultimately chose Yale. I'm beyond excited to meet everyone *in-person* (hopefully). Also I just declined my offer from the Department of Epidemiology at UW. I received the John and Anne Lee fellowship which qualifies non-residents for residential tuition! The fellowship also provides $1,250 per quarter for the first year. I figured I should make a quick decision so that the fellowship can be offered to another qualified and deserving candidate!

SOOOO if you applied to epi departments and are currently deciding between UW and another school, I highly suggest you wait until the deadline because you may receive the fellowship!!

Reactions: 10 users
Firstly, congratulations getting into two top public health schools! I commend you for doing that, and with pressing forward despite the issues in Mexico, I really feel sorry for the people of Mexico, I take it AMLO sort of now half embraces social distancing a small amount, but also many people in Mexico City are still going about their business, for many of them they don't really have a choice in terms of making a living.

Personally I would go to LSHTM over JHU, I feel that their student body is more diverse in London and that in the end LSHTM has a deeper bench in terms of super knowledgeable faculty who really focus on public health, both great schools obviously! If Peter Piot is still the head of LSHTM it would be great to learn from him or just meet him, though JHU has stellar faculty too.

I think price is an issue, I've read on this board that JHU alumina too have trouble finding jobs, if a recession hits I think it is better to have some flexibility with regards to loans. Just my 2 cents!
Thank you! And yes, barely. He is still on his never-ending campaign trail around the country, and life over here until recently just continued as if nothing was happening. Things are improving lately, but a coordinated response has been largely relegated to state governments. And yes, which is why, there is a glimmer of truth in what AMLO says. I just read an article on the FT about the difficulty governments in developing countries will have in imposing such strict social isolation in places where 50% or more of people work in the informal economy and quite literally need to go out to bring food to the table at night. (I'll post the link at the end of my post)

Regardless, I don't expect things (economy-wise) to improve anytime soon, which is why I am strongly considering the LSHTM. I was looking at US based programs because I was interested in working in the US for a couple of years after my degree and thought I would have better networking opportunities by attending an American program. When considering the long term, however, I do prefer the global outlook that the LSHTM has.

I also think it's unwise to get into a lot of debt if I could avoid that at the moment (the economy is going to tank, everywhere). Your post, along with much helpful advice I have received over the last couple weeks, and a lot of self-reflection now that I'm stuck at home have helped me quite a lot. In the end, I'm leaning towards pulling the plug on JHU and moving to London in the fall (if possible by then). At least for now, though, I am planning on sitting still and waiting to see how things develop. And thank you. I do appreciate the advice very much!

I am late to the application season.. but here goes..

Undergraduate School: State school in NJ

Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.53/2.29 (ouch! - SOPHAS verified)

Major/minor: Biological Sciences (B.S.)

Grad GPA (if applicable): 3.45/ Public Health GPA 3.67

Grad studies (if applicable): private university in NY; graduate certificate in public health

GRE(including date taken): not taken (lots of test anxiety)

Experience/research:

-5+ years experience working in clinical research within the pharmaceutical industry; one year of work experience in HEOR

-5 professional certifications in Clinical research (GCP, Human Research Subjects, CRC, Data Security & HIPAA Training)

-2 years as research assistant in chemistry/biochemistry lab

-2 years presenting research at the STEM research symposium

-1.5 years working in a medical research laboratory as a cell culture lab tech

-1 year volunteer at a hospital in an underserved area (50 hours)

-1 year volunteer research associate at busy ED in NYC including 4 shifts of physician shadowing in the ED (also focused on underserved populations) (288 hours)

-3 months of physician shadowing

-Introduction to Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine: Participated in a 4 week course dedicated to educating pre-medical students about the practice of Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine and its role in healthcare today.

Letters of Rec: one from a college professor who I did research with for several years. 2 from colleagues who I worked with for a few years at a top pharmaceutical company.

Interested in: global health, health policy/health systems. More specifically, I am interested in patients accessibility to drug therapies in underserved areas and quality of healthcare.

I currently reside in the NYC area. Living and working in NJ for a top global pharmaceutical company.

Applied: Boston University MPH (Online core- have not chosen a specialization, applied 03/20 verified 03/23 complete 03/24);

Tulane MPH online (Community health- applied 03/20 verified/complete 03/23);

Drexel University Executive MPH online (No specialization- applied 03/20 verified/complete 03/23);

Dartmouth MPH online (Policy and Delivery Science - applied 03/20 verified/complete 03/23)

NYU CGPH MPH (global health - applied 03/20 verified/complete 03/23)

Rutgers SPH (Health Systems and Policy- applied 04/01 verified 04/02 have not received an email from Rutgers saying they have received my application)

Accepted: BU (MPH- accepted 4/3 with scholarship);

Rejected: none

Waitlisted: none

Attending: no idea yet

I am completely floored by my BU acceptance. I didn’t think I had a shot at BU with my GPA and no GRE score but I took a leap of faith applying. Not sure what my chances are at the other schools I applied to but we will see over the coming weeks.

I’m still trying to figure out if BU is actually an affordable option. They offered a 35% scholarship. Has anyone had success with appealing for more? If I can keep my job, my company would contribute $10,000 a year plus cover all supplies including books.

Also, has anyone had success with asking to move out the decision date? I would really appreciate having a chance to hear from other schools and funding packages.

This honestly sucks. I have not had any problems getting in touch with anyone. Try emailing Paul Whong ([email protected]). He is the
Director of Student Services and Academic Affairs for the MPH program.
What should I say? Would he bothered if I emailed him regarding financial aid offers?

also I’m MSPH not MPH. Does that matter?

Hi Everyone!

I've narrowed down my school list to three choices for the MPH: Columbia, Dartmouth, and Northwestern. At the same time, I have also applied to the NIH Post-Bac program.

I'm leaning towards Columbia, because even though I would have to take out more loans, it's the best degree and has the most research opportunities in close proximity which I hope will eventually help me land a residency. How would you recommend I choose between my options? Ultimately my plan is to go to medical school, so either would be helpful, but I am not sure how to decide between MPH and NIH. Let me know! Thanks.