MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to update- this worked for Brown! They offered me an additional 25% scholarship last Thursday (3/26).
Congrats on getting more funding! :) I'm considering doing the same for maybe a couple schools. Which office/department did you reach out to with this email?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there! I'm also committing to UW. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a fb page yet that I've found. I'm wondering if the program will eventually create one, or if other students will make one? If anyone does know of one or makes one please message me, I'd love to be added.

congratulations! you'll love UW!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone think that we may be starting our first semesters online instead of in person?

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone have concerns of job outlook after graduating from MPH programs? We're heading into a recession, and I'll be leaving a relatively comfortable job to go to school full-time.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone, I'm feeling really conflicted and could use some advice. I have narrowed down my options to the MSPH degree in international health and health systems at Johns Hopkins and MSc degree in global health and development at University College London. I know that both schools are incredibly well known and I can't go wrong either way but I'm having trouble deciding. So here's what I'm weighing out:

Hopkins:
- amazing program where classes and professors that are aligned perfectly with my interests
- very flexible two-year program with vast sources and focused practicum which I really like
- extremely expensive - I would have to take out around 65 - 75K in loans
- the pace of the program seems incredibly intensive and I don't know if I would learn well in that environment
- I'm from Maryland so I would be able to stay close to family, which is a positive
- living costs would be much lower than in London, and I could move back home to Maryland from a second-year which would reduce the costs

University College London
- extremely well-known Institution and well-thought-out program that is slower paced which would be my preference
- only a one-year program that means one more year of working and making money
- the shorter program also means that it costs less and I'll only have to pay tuition for one year
- I might be able to get a lower cost of living by staying with family near by that would significantly reduce the cost of rent in the city
- it does not have a practicum component which I really want to have!
- I want to work abroad in Global Health, this would make is it a little easier to build networks and find a job after they degree working abroad
- the cost is still expensive I would likely have to take out around 35-40k in loans
- moving away from my family - it's not that big of a factor but still a major difference from Hopkins

So my main questions:
1. What are the differences in how an MSPH vs an MSc are viewed?
2. Is the practicum experience vital?
3. In your view is the extra cost for Hopkins worth it?
4. Any general advice??

Last edited:
Congrats on getting more funding! :) I'm considering doing the same for maybe a couple schools. Which office/department did you reach out to with this email?
I spoke to Diane Schlacter for Brown, but I think manager of the MPH program or office of financial aid are probably your best bet in general for most schools. Thank you!! You totally should, the worst they can say is no.

Does anyone think that we may be starting our first semesters online instead of in person?
Was on a Harvard webinar this morning and they majorly side-stepped any deferral/online class questions. Schools seem to be “wait and see” which is true across industries I would say. The current students I’ve talked to seem satisfied with how online classes have gone thus far, and personally I think I’m becoming more okay with the idea if necessary. But it’s definitely a concern, especially since a huge part of the grad school experience is networking with other students and faculty..

Reactions: 5 users
Was on a Harvard webinar this morning and they majorly side-stepped any deferral/online class questions. Schools seem to be “wait and see” which is true across industries I would say. The current students I’ve talked to seem satisfied with how online classes have gone thus far, and personally I think I’m becoming more okay with the idea if necessary. But it’s definitely a concern, especially since a huge part of the grad school experience is networking with other students and faculty..

Thanks for sharing! It's a bit of a relief to hear that current students seem satisfied with online classes. I'm hoping if schools go online for the fall, there's still a possibility of in-person classes in the spring.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if you retain a scholarship if you elect to defer enrollment by one year, due to the coronavirus?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if you retain a scholarship if you elect to defer enrollment by one year, due to the coronavirus?
It may depend on the school and would be worth reaching out before you did it, but for Columbia you lose everything and would be considered again with the incoming 2021 class.

Yeah exactly, it's certainly not the ideal situation. I'm wondering if schools would give the opportunity to defer if the first semester becomes distance learning...

I'm also wondering this - CUNY and Rutgers (which I'm heavily considering) already have spring admits so if I go to one of them, I'm already thinking about requesting a deferral to then.

Hi everyone, I'm feeling really conflicted and could use some advice. I have narrowed down my options to the MSPH degree in international health and health systems at Johns Hopkins and MSc degree in global health and development at University College London. I know that both schools are incredibly well known and I can't go wrong either way but I'm having trouble deciding. So here's what I'm weighing out:

Hopkins:
- amazing program where classes and professors that are aligned perfectly with my interests
- very flexible two-year program with vast sources and focused practicum which I really like
- the pace of the program seems incredibly intensive and I don't know if I would learn well in that environment
- I'm from Maryland so I would be able to stay close to family, which is a positive
- living costs would be much lower than in London, and I could move back home to Maryland from a second-year which would reduce the costs

- extremely well-known Institution and well-thought-out program that is slower paced which would be my preference
- the shorter program also means that it costs less and I'll only have to pay tuition for one year
- I might be able to get a lower cost of living by staying with family near by that would significantly reduce the cost of rent in the city
- I want to work abroad in Global Health, this would make is it a little easier to build networks and find a job after they degree working abroad
- the cost is still expensive I would likely have to take out around 35-40k in loans
- moving away from my family - it's not that big of a factor but still a major difference from Hopkins

So my main questions:
4. Any general advice??
I can't speak well for either of these degree programs, but I will try my best to assist you. It seems that you have done your research, so all I suggest is getting in touch with students at each of these programs to get more information or to confirm opinions you've heard from others. Given that everyone is attending Zoom University, maybe it is worth asking them about that experience and how professor/student relationships develop in this environment. You could consult with faculty or program chairs about this, but they typically have a propensity to sell the university especially when you say you're undecided. Students are more objective, based on my experiences.

As for your questions, take my responses with a grain of salt. My advice is integrated.
1) Both degrees are research-centric. The MSc is a general Master's degree in any scientific field while the MSPH is public health-centered. Generally, I don't believe there is a huge difference in how they're viewed, but if your goal is to work in public health, the MSPH may be slightly more appealing to see on a resume/CV. I can imagine that if your goal is to work in public health on a global scale an employer will see "MSPH" and assume that you have the fundamentals down.
2) Definitely. This is your chance to get involved in the community near your campus and apply the skills you learned in class. Some people attend specific universities because of their proximity to big organizations. For example, Health Policy and Management students may look at GWU (in Washington D.C.) and those desiring a position at the CDC may consider Emory (in Atlanta).
3) This is highly subjective. I encourage you to gather as much information you can from a variety of sources and juxtapose these pros and cons with your career aspirations. This allows you to make a sound decision when you choose to commit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone here know about CUNY? I was accepted and ideally would like to go (in-state tuition, could live at home), but I have a lot of concerns, one being the network (I did some LinkedIn research to see where CUNY graduates are currently working, or what was their prior experience, and basically everyone was based in NYC).

In the far future, I want to settle down in DC and would like to live on the West Coast for a few years. I know networking is VERY important, so if anyone knows about CUNY, I would like to know what you guys think? I also have other concerns about the program.

Outside of that, I hope you guys are doing well!

It may depend on the school and would be worth reaching out before you did it, but for Columbia you lose everything and would be considered again with the incoming 2021 class.
This is nice to know! I am awaiting a response from Hopkins regarding this matter before I commit.

It is sad that students who were merit scholars this time may no longer be.

I'm also wondering this - CUNY and Rutgers (which I'm heavily considering) already have spring admits so if I go to one of them, I'm already thinking about requesting a deferral to then.

Did you receive a fin aid package for rutgers yet?

Did you receive a fin aid package for rutgers yet?

Nope :( I emailed their financial aid office last week and for some reason, they told me to reach out to admissions? I did that, and they've yet to respond. Have you?

Does anyone know how the format timing of the online classes would be like if the colleges switch to an online format?
Because everyone is at a different time zone?

Nope :( I emailed their financial aid office last week and for some reason, they told me to reach out to admissions? I did that, and they've yet to respond. Have you?
Nope :( I also reached and no response. I want to see how much aid they would give b/c I am also deciding in between GW, CUNY, and Rutgers.

I can't speak well for either of these degree programs, but I will try my best to assist you. It seems that you have done your research, so all I suggest is getting in touch with students at each of these programs to get more information or to confirm opinions you've heard from others. Given that everyone is attending Zoom University, maybe it is worth asking them about that experience and how professor/student relationships develop in this environment. You could consult with faculty or program chairs about this, but they typically have a propensity to sell the university especially when you say you're undecided. Students are more objective, based on my experiences.

As for your questions, take my responses with a grain of salt. My advice is integrated.
1) Both degrees are research-centric. The MSc is a general Master's degree in any scientific field while the MSPH is public health-centered. Generally, I don't believe there is a huge difference in how they're viewed, but if your goal is to work in public health, the MSPH may be slightly more appealing to see on a resume/CV. I can imagine that if your goal is to work in public health on a global scale an employer will see "MSPH" and assume that you have the fundamentals down.
2) Definitely. This is your chance to get involved in the community near your campus and apply the skills you learned in class. Some people attend specific universities because of their proximity to big organizations. For example, Health Policy and Management students may look at GWU (in Washington D.C.) and those desiring a position at the CDC may consider Emory (in Atlanta).
3) This is highly subjective. I encourage you to gather as much information you can from a variety of sources and juxtapose these pros and cons with your career aspirations. This allows you to make a sound decision when you choose to commit.

Thank you so much for your thorough feedback! I have spoken to three students from Hopkins and two from UCL and I learned a lot from both.
Hopkins students raved about the exposure to public health leaders and the recognition of the school and alumni network as the biggest positives. One of the Hopkins students said that her quality of life was worse than she expected due to the fast-paced rigor of the program. Another con was the school's career center being extremely slow (it took one of the students 4 months before getting paid from their workstudy job!). And of course, there is the financial burden they all had to deal with since none of them got scholarships.
UCL students both had nothing but good things to say, likely because the school connected me to two American international students who serve as ambassadors of the program. They highlighted the connection to networks outside the school and working with internationally known leaders. The program is a lot slower paced with only 8 course total required and the students liked the more holistic approach of testing in the UK. The negatives are definitely the cost of living (rent is ~$300 per week for a shared space!) and the lack of practicum experience before graduating.

This has really helped me think through all my pros and cons so I appreciate it! I would like to continue in public health so there is a value in having MSPH vs MSc and I think I would benefit from the practicum experience from Hopkins. My main hang-up is the cost! I don't know why Hopkins costs so much but I just can't fathom taking on 70k in loans. Every advice I've seen about an MPH says not to go in debt for this degree! I still haven't received my financial aid award so I think that will be the deciding factor once I get it.

Correct. Appealed on Wednesday. Who did you email?
Congrats on the scholarship! I wanted to confirm with you on who you emailed for your appeal? I'm not sure whether to go through my department or the financial aid office

Hi guys!

Hoping everybody is keeping sane during these COVID-19 times...
Interested in pursuing MPH but extremely nervous about my low grades. Any advice or help appreciated. I am freaking out thinking if I will get in or not! :(

Undergrad Major: Pharm.D (Direct entry 6 years) at a private university in Boston, MA.
Undergrad. GPA: 2.87 (Official undergrad transcript)
Undergrad. GPA: 2.55 (SOPHAS calculation)

Professional Experience: 3 years of work experience as a Clinical Research Associate at a top oncology hospital. I managed clinical trials for multiple docs/PI.

Graduate Major: Clinical Research at NYU- Degree still in the process planned to complete May 2020.
Grad. GPA: 3.4 (Official graduate transcript)
Grad. GPA: 3.52 (SOPHAS calculation)

Letters of recommendation: 2 graduate school professors, 1 undergrad professor, employer- work supervisor. (Grad. + Undergrad. + Work)

*** Schools applied to NYU, CUNY, Mount Sinai, Rutgers, Columbia, BU
Columbia and NYU are my top choices.:coldfeet:

*** Professional Goals: Pursue a career as a clinical research nurse with a background in clinical research, public health onto nursing.

Last edited:
Has anyone who applied to Dartmouth's 11-month in-person MPH for the 2/1 deadline heard back yet?

Hi guys!

Interested in pursuing MPH but extremely nervous about my low grades. Any advice or help appreciated. I am freaking out thinking if I will get in or not! :(

Undergrad Major: Pharm.D (Direct entry 6 years) at a private university in Boston, MA.

Professional Experience: 3 years of work experience as a Clinical Research Associate at a top oncology hospital. I managed clinical trials for multiple docs/PI.

Graduate Major: Clinical Research at NYU- Degree still in the process planned to complete May 2020.

Letters of recommendation: 2 graduate school professors, 1 undergrad professor, employer- work supervisor. (Grad. + Undergrad. + Work)

*** Professional Goals: Pursue a career as a clinical research nurse with a background in clinical research, public health onto nursing.
I think they'll definitely take into consideration the improvement from undergrad to grad with your GPA/grades. As long as you have a strong SOP and LORs and GRE for scholarship purposes, I think you should be just fine! The GPAs and GRE scores of a lot of us in this forum were varied over a large range, and there were still a ton of acceptances from those schools you mentioned.

Are you applying for entrance into the Fall 2021 class? Or did some of these schools extend their deadlines for Fall 2020?

Hey guys. Kinda in a weird situation. I committed to one school bc they had a deadline in mid March however I just heard back from another school last night I’d most definitely prefer over the school I originally committed to. I never really expected to get into the school I did last night since it was a super reach and I didn’t think I qualified for their program bc I didn’t meet the work requirements. But I got in regardless. Do I just email the original program and say “sorry”?

Reactions: 4 users
I think they'll definitely take into consideration the improvement from undergrad to grad with your GPA/grades. As long as you have a strong SOP and LORs and GRE for scholarship purposes, I think you should be just fine! The GPAs and GRE scores of a lot of us in this forum were varied over a large range, and there were still a ton of acceptances from those schools you mentioned.

Are you applying for entrance into the Fall 2021 class? Or did some of these schools extend their deadlines for Fall 2020?

Thank you so much for getting back to me! GRE is waived as I have advanced degree/masters already! It makes me feel better. Applying for Fall 2020. They extended their deadlines.

Hopkins:

So my main questions:
4. Any general advice??
Hi, I am currently finishing my Bsc at UCL (in a completely different area), but if you have any questions about student life, facilities and life in London in general I would be happy to answer :)

Hi everyone! I’ve been reading this thread since I began applying this cycle, and now that I have completed and gotten two acceptances, I was wondering if anyone here could give some insight. I was accepted to Dartmouth and Tufts (health services management & policy). Given the current circumstances, I don’t know when/if there will really be a time to visit either campus prior to matriculation. Does anyone here know any specifics or have any experience with either of these programs so that it will be easier to make a decision despite not being able to physically visit any time soon? To give some background, I graduated from UMich in 2019 with a major in biology (switched my interest to public health late in the game) and have since worked for the Institute for Social Research at UMich and in the bio pharma industry. I’m interested in policy & management, and currently I’m hoping that post-graduation I can do a fellowship with the CDC. My main concern is my lack of work/educational experience in the field, and with that, doing a one-year program (Dartmouth) is exciting in that I can start my career sooner, but also nerve-wracking due to how accelerated it is.

Thank you so much for your thorough feedback! I have spoken to three students from Hopkins and two from UCL and I learned a lot from both.
Hopkins students raved about the exposure to public health leaders and the recognition of the school and alumni network as the biggest positives. One of the Hopkins students said that her quality of life was worse than she expected due to the fast-paced rigor of the program. Another con was the school's career center being extremely slow (it took one of the students 4 months before getting paid from their workstudy job!). And of course, there is the financial burden they all had to deal with since none of them got scholarships.
UCL students both had nothing but good things to say, likely because the school connected me to two American international students who serve as ambassadors of the program. They highlighted the connection to networks outside the school and working with internationally known leaders. The program is a lot slower paced with only 8 course total required and the students liked the more holistic approach of testing in the UK. The negatives are definitely the cost of living (rent is ~$300 per week for a shared space!) and the lack of practicum experience before graduating.

This has really helped me think through all my pros and cons so I appreciate it! I would like to continue in public health so there is a value in having MSPH vs MSc and I think I would benefit from the practicum experience from Hopkins. My main hang-up is the cost! I don't know why Hopkins costs so much but I just can't fathom taking on 70k in loans. Every advice I've seen about an MPH says not to go in debt for this degree! I still haven't received my financial aid award so I think that will be the deciding factor once I get it.
You're welcome! I would definitely send the Hopkins Dept. of Financial Aid an email about your concern. To my knowledge, everyone has to make a decision in, at the longest, 16 days. You should know what you're paying prior to committing.

Furthermore, it may be possible to get a merit scholarship from Hopkins. I was able to obtain one for the MPH program. PM me if you wish to discuss this in greater detail.

Hi guys!

First and foremost, your grad GPA is a huge improvement from your undergrad GPA! Congrats on that! With that in mind, I do believe you can get into your top choices provided your professional experience and LoRs. Columbia requires the GRE while NYU doesn't. If you can score well on the exam, I believe you're in great shape.

There are plenty of people here who were admitted to these universities so feel free to pick their minds about the program, their interests, and what made them a successful applicant. To get the ball rolling, I will offer myself as a resource for Columbia. Feel free to PM me any questions you may have.

I just got off the waitlist for Harvard's HSB program!!

Reactions: 12 users

Hopkins:

So my main questions:
4. Any general advice??
I'm not sure if I can help in any way, but I'm in a sort of similar situation, so if anyone could be as kind as to give me any good advice, I would deeply appreciate it.

I have actually already committed to Hopkins. It was always my first choice for numerous reasons, and being an international student, most programs would end up being similarly priced (at least within the US). Anyhow, I accepted my offer a few weeks ago, but surprise, the COVID-19 pandemic happened.

I am from Mexico, and unfortunately, the Mexican peso has lost quite a lot of value in the last couple of weeks alone, which means that, compared to when I originally made my budget to attend JHU, I would be paying at least 30% more in total cost (that is, if the peso does not continue losing value against the dollar).

I have looked at all my savings for Grad school lose and lose and lose their value for the last couple of weeks. So, my amazing parents were going to help me with quite a lot of money, and they are still resolute about it and told me we would find a way. However, as of late, I have been thinking of withdrawing from JHU and enrolling in the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I actually accepted my place there as well since you had to in order to apply for internal scholarships (they waived the need to put down a deposit until the results are published).

So, while Hopkins more closely aligns with my interests and my future professional goals, I am just having seconds thoughts about paying such an excessive amount of money (which is literally increasing by the day) if I can get a world-class education for three times less than that somewhere else. And LSHTM has always been my second choice, so It's not like I would actually go to a program that I don't want to go to. I guess I am simply having a lot of trouble convincing myself that, in light of the current situation, paying all that extra money would be worth it for whatever professional/research goals I had in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I’m super conflicted... deciding between BU and Brown. I got accepted into their MPH programs both in Epi with 25% scholarship. I’m also Canadian so I need to figure out which program will allow me to stay and work in the US after graduation.

Brown:
pro: cheaper than Boston, Ivy, quantitative focus, small tight knit community
con: small young program, not STEM eligible, career outcomes of graduates not certain

BU:
pro: solid reputation and career outcomes, STEM OPT eligible
cons: high living costs, seems like a factory churning out graduates

Need some solid advice from reputable sources about the pros of Brown and BU!

BTW if anyone knows more about getting a job via TN visa for epidemiologists lmk!

It looks like UNC's extending their enrollment deposit deadline to June 1. Whether this applies to scholarships seems program-dependent though.

Does anyone know if Columbia has an admitted students Fb group?

Hello! Does anyone from Baltimore area know how soon I should start looking into housing for JHU? Thanks!

I'm not sure if I can help in any way, but I'm in a sort of similar situation, so if anyone could be as kind as to give me any good advice, I would deeply appreciate it.

I have actually already committed to Hopkins. It was always my first choice for numerous reasons, and being an international student, most programs would end up being similarly priced (at least within the US). Anyhow, I accepted my offer a few weeks ago, but surprise, the COVID-19 pandemic happened.

I am from Mexico, and unfortunately, the Mexican peso has lost quite a lot of value in the last couple of weeks alone, which means that, compared to when I originally made my budget to attend JHU, I would be paying at least 30% more in total cost (that is, if the peso does not continue losing value against the dollar).

I have looked at all my savings for Grad school lose and lose and lose their value for the last couple of weeks. So, my amazing parents were going to help me with quite a lot of money, and they are still resolute about it and told me we would find a way. However, as of late, I have been thinking of withdrawing from JHU and enrolling in the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I actually accepted my place there as well since you had to in order to apply for internal scholarships (they waived the need to put down a deposit until the results are published).

So, while Hopkins more closely aligns with my interests and my future professional goals, I am just having seconds thoughts about paying such an excessive amount of money (which is literally increasing by the day) if I can get a world-class education for three times less than that somewhere else. And LSHTM has always been my second choice, so It's not like I would actually go to a program that I don't want to go to. I guess I am simply having a lot of trouble convincing myself that, in light of the current situation, paying all that extra money would be worth it for whatever professional/research goals I had in mind.
I will do my best to assist you. It is crucial in dilemmas like these where we need to take a step back and not press the panic button. I encourage you to take some time to create a document where you juxtapose the pros and cons of each school you're considering. That way, you can compare all the aspects you've acquired about each university. Of course, you could communicate with prospective or current students as well as alumni from each university to get more information and discuss your situation. It's a large world and it is unlikely that you are the only one going/who has gone through this situation.

Regarding JHU finances, I can provide input. You may already know that I was successful in appealing for merit scholarship aid for their MPH program. Feel free to PM me about this process if this is something you're considering.

To those whom this may pertain: I spoke with numerous individuals from JHU MPH Admissions and Financial Aid and here's what we know so far. I am not sure if this applies to the MSPH program, but the education system there is so connected that I believe that these admits can have some security with the following information.
  1. If you obtained a scholarship and/or an enrollment deposit waiver and elect to defer admission to next year, you will not lose your award(s).
  2. If you committed to JHU and want to defer later on you can. They will update us with the tentative deadline to defer by. You also receive the benefits from point 1.
  3. If you recently obtained a scholarship (i.e. you appealed for one) and was given the April 2nd tentative due date to accept your award, do not worry. You can wait for the Department of Financial Aid to update your SIS Portal.
  4. About the coronavirus, to those worried about what the university will do next term, they will release a statement by the end of the week.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Committed to JHU's MPH Program! May defer due to COVID-19, though.

Edit: I am also willing to assist anyone who is considering to appeal for aid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Has anyone contacted the yale office to ask about the possibility of deferring given the COVID-19 situation. I have already committed to Yale but am now re-considering :( worried about financials and school potentially becoming online

Has anyone contacted the yale office to ask about the possibility of deferring given the COVID-19 situation. I have already committed to Yale but am now re-considering :( worried about financials and school potentially becoming online
They dont know if classes will be online. You are able to defer but if you do, then you forfeit your scholarship aware...

Accepted to Harvard SMS off the waitlist today :)
Congratulations that's amazing! I did not know that they would release decisions earlier than mid May for waitlist candidates. If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to get off of the waitlist after your initial decision?

UNC financial aid available via Connect Carolina portal - all loans :( oh well.

Has anyone heard back from SDSU or UCLA? I'm beginning to think they have forgoten me....lol

I got off the waitlist of Harvard in the end!
I almost gave up, but I finally did it! I am so happy.
But I am considering the deferral due to the COVID-19 situation.
Anyone else who deferred Harvard?

Reactions: 3 users