Sep 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
If anyone is waiting to hear from the Emory Maternal and Child Health certificate program, I emailed the program coordinator, and we should be hearing decisions this week. Congrats to everyone on this thread, good luck to those who are still making decisions, and I hope everyone stays safe and healthy!
I also was just admitted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 18, 2020
Status
Hi! Anyone considering committing to Tulane any time soon? I think I am about ready to commit to the Epi program there, but I'm still nervous about not being able to see the city before the deadline.
Thanks!

About the Ads
Oct 25, 2019
Status
Maybe, but it isn't like NYU is a big name in public health in terms of publications and visibility, not that I put a lot into rankings (some schools I think are ranked too highly or too lowly), but tied for #37 with like 4 other schools and not being a big public health player makes sense. I think it matters that NYU is hyper-expensive, perhaps the only reason being is that the school is in New York.

Given the poor quality of the Cross Continental program, I would look carefully at whatever "practicum abroad" the schools offers, ideally if students want to work in the US, albeit for an NGO that does international work, that practicum would be in the US, just a small amount of time spent abroad might not be a quality experience.

Given that the COVID situation is evolving, I think it would be hard to predict what the incoming cohort of students is for NYU if students can still back out. If they already had their cohort of admitted students, then disruption to the testing centers wouldn't matter as much, but I'm thinking that students are possibly backing out of going to NYU, they are specifically trying to make it easier to apply for Fall 2020.

Having enough PhD students is important for programs as well as they teach undergraduates and do research. Overall, I think the issue with NYU is that one of their MPH programs at the very least was poorly run, the school is overall not a public health powerhouse, the tuition is expensive, and a COVID outbreak stretching into July and August could wreak havoc with the school. If NYU had a standout reputation for public health, that would be good . . . but they seem to be a below average MPH program . . . one among many . . . their Continental program worked with controversial international governments, some of which are actively suppressing some of their own population, I have to wonder if the experiences in Tel Aviv and Buenos Aires are more about politics versus a real studying abroad public health experience.
The tuition+fees (minus room/board) ended up being 47k-52k/year, which feels average; the ranking is 37, but out of ~177, and rising yearly, but I also wouldn't care for the ranking.

I believe that you can't base an entire school on one program that failed, or on the fact that they arent ranked the highest, on factors like how many applicants they receive or those that choose to accept. Schools that are trying to build a Public Health Program that go against the grain have a lot against them, but you have to start somewhere. A brand new school like NYU's GPH, which has only been around for <20 years, vs Hopkins, who has been around since PH became a field, is obviously not going to have the same recognition or ranking or attributes. However, they have the labs, prestigious faculty (which have been exceedingly busy during the COVID-19 outbreak, since they have been in the news and published constantly), tthe framework. They just need the time!

The practicum is 180 hours minimum at an organization supervised directly by a PH professional (they're required to have a PhD/DrPH/etc to allow the practicum to be valid. The organization can be abroad (i.e. medical clinic work in Ghana) or in person (NYU has a special MOU with UN bodies to reserve spots for NYU students). I think any time abroad is a valid experience-- remember that this is a two year degree, and students spend anywhere from 2-8 months abroad depending on their interests. The practicum has requirements that qualify (or disqualify) an experience as useful; which I'm sure they learned from the mistakes made in the cross-continential.

Also, after talking with their dean of admissions, Dr. Maggio, they said that they weren't trying to recruit numbers, but rather students they see fit for the program, which definitely isn't for everyone!

I understand that you have your premonitions or caution around anything related to NYU-- many people do. The CC MPH had a very rough time, with valid reasons, but with that criticism came changes across the board that helped all programs solidify and quantify their effectiveness. I know anything I mention won't make your opinions sway one way or another and that's okay too! I'm just hoping that those considering NYU formulate their own opinions on the program, rather than just accepting yours, and make the choice that fits them, just as I did.

Feb 17, 2020
Status
Glad to be of assistance. My $0.02 is this. If the issues you raise can add to your overall argument, I say go for it. Ultimately, it is all about how it is worded and if done correctly, it can persuade them. I will caution against reiterating achievements or stats that were already in your application package and reviewed by the offices of admissions and financial aid. I am sure they will have to reopen your file and reevaluate it because it is unlikely that they will remember your academic and extracurricular laurels. Instead, if you have any notable achievements in the time since you were admitted, I would mention those.

Of course, as you mentioned, they could just ignore your, my, or anyone's email completely. This may be independent of anything you bring up in the email because it may be a policy--not redistributing merit aid--that they enforce at their institution. It's worth a shot, though.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the helpful feedback! I just submitted an appeal, and I'll post an update when I know whether it's been successful or not.

Reactions: HomoSapienSapien

She-Hulk

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2015
I believe that you can't base an entire school on one program that failed, or on the fact that they arent ranked the highest, on factors like how many applicants they receive or those that choose to accept. Schools that are trying to build a Public Health Program that go against the grain have a lot against them, but you have to start somewhere.
Although we all have different criteria to judge MPH schools on with regards to where to attend . . . I would include in my list things like having a program that "failed" (of which there were complaints from NYU CC MPH students here and elsewhere not too many years ago), the perceived reputation and many other factors . . . you have to use something when you look at different schools I would say. Also, I don' t know what "against the grain" means for NYU, certainly faculty at NYU and elsewhere probably felt that NYU CC program was unethical. Here is a snipe of a complaint from just a few years ago:

As a family member of a student in this program, these complaints are completely valid and understated. There were many other problems not mentioned that have arisen. Tuition was supposed to include all meals while overseas. That turned out to be five dinners a week (down from the promised 21). Clean drinking water is not provided. Housing was to be at NYU housing, it is not, comprising the safety and security of the students. Classes were far below masters level. As someone with a PhD I disagree with some of the commenters and feel that a masters program should teach you the fundamentals of the subject matter you are studying, something NYU has regrettably failed to do. My family member in this program may leave with three new letters behind their name but they will graduate with no new knowledge, applicable skills, or valuable public health experience. Additionally, many students have voiced their concerns but were either punished for retaliation or blatantly ignored which has ensured that future open discussion about program improvements will not be held.

A brand new school like NYU's GPH, which has only been around for <20 years, vs Hopkins, who has been around since PH became a field, is obviously not going to have the same recognition or ranking or attributes. However, they have the labs, prestigious faculty (which have been exceedingly busy during the COVID-19 outbreak, since they have been in the news and published constantly), tthe framework. They just need the time!
Fair enough . . . but you just go to one public health school in a lifetime, and if that happens in the next few years, (versus decades), many applicants want to go to the school which is good now, not which might have rehabilitated itself in a decade or more. I don't think this is a case of, "NYU needs emotional and financial support now, come be a student and help us build up our reputation!"

It seems like the controversial NYU campus in the UAE is still operating and it has a recent controversial past: The Labor Abuse That Went Into NYU’s Abu Dhabi Campus. NYU exploited migrant workers, they certainly wouldn't be above exploiting MPH students who are at the bottom of the totem pole, the school has a "business model" which it's first goal isn't typical for a university such as research or education.

The practicum is 180 hours minimum at an organization supervised directly by a PH professional (they're required to have a PhD/DrPH/etc to allow the practicum to be valid. The organization can be abroad (i.e. medical clinic work in Ghana) or in person (NYU has a special MOU with UN bodies to reserve spots for NYU students). I think any time abroad is a valid experience-- remember that this is a two year degree, and students spend anywhere from 2-8 months abroad depending on their interests. The practicum has requirements that qualify (or disqualify) an experience as useful; which I'm sure they learned from the mistakes made in the cross-continential.
I think that you might be giving NYU too much credit they had severe problems with the practicum in Ghana:

• The fall semester also includes 180 hours of field work in the form of a practicum, or internship. Do not be fooled -- these are not internships as you understand them to be. NYU and UG are laughably unorganized in their orchestration of these practicums. We have been here for 7 weeks and there are students who still have not started, students whose internships cancelled on them, students who were not allowed to use the restroom or eat while at work, students who sit for 5-8 hours a day doing nothing because their internship sites do not have work for them to do. I understand this might even be a violation of the CEPH Accreditation standards. The organizations are ill prepared for and/or unable to accommodate interns, but NYU will attempt to sell you on what an "incredible opportunity" they are, and the "insight" you will gain at work.

Also, after talking with their dean of admissions, Dr. Maggio, they said that they weren't trying to recruit numbers, but rather students they see fit for the program, which definitely isn't for everyone!
My first impression when somebody (anybody) is trying to advertise a school is that they often advertise the opposite of what the negative and real impression is. There is a whole "fit for the program" mythology at many programs, that they want special students, of the course the dean would say something positive, but we know from recent history and what reporters have said about NYU is that the school went crazy with growth and charging high tuition for questionable academic activities. I think that NYU is also still trying to recruit numbers!

I understand that you have your premonitions or caution around anything related to NYU-- many people do. The CC MPH had a very rough time, with valid reasons, but with that criticism came changes across the board that helped all programs solidify and quantify their effectiveness. I know anything I mention won't make your opinions sway one way or another and that's okay too! I'm just hoping that those considering NYU formulate their own opinions on the program, rather than just accepting yours, and make the choice that fits them, just as I did.
Of course NYU is going to make general statements that don't have details like "changes across the board" were made. But jeez, the person who posted on Reddit went on about how if in the accelerated CC MPH program if you wanted to party abroad for a year and not study that is the program for you! I've met people who felt that the MPH degree was more about teaching you, "a way of thinking" versus learning hard facts or skills and they seemed pretty . . . nebulous and didn't display critical thinking skills, at least to me, and they weren't exactly working in a public health field after school. I think hard skills are important, as are critical thinking skills, with some many options available for an MPH for probably most students, why go to NYU?

I think NYU is like BU, a new-ish sort of public health school that wants to "grow" their reputation and whom really ramped up the student population the last decade while sacrificing making sure the education is quality, same complaints at BU, a watered down curriculum. BU is pretty much a non-visible school outside of boston in a lot of ways, they wanted admitted students to sell the school and somehow increase their reputation so they can get higher profile students, so they aren't focused on their current students, like a monkey always looking higher up for the next branch they don't care who they're standing on right now. BU pushes students ridiculously hard to be cheerleaders for the school, but offers less in terms of a practicum or post-graduation assistance, I wouldn't be surprised if NYU is the same way. Your education is too important to be caught-up in advertising for the next year's crop.

Last edited:
Reactions: monkeym8
Feb 17, 2020
Status
I reached out to UC Berkeley MS in Epidemiology just out of curiosity as to why they rejected my application. They said they split the number of slots between PhD and masters students, and that they normally accept *0* students for the MS in Epi program, but this year they accepted *2*. Of course I wouldn't have applied if I had known this!! I figured this would be interesting info for anyone else who was rejected or especially anyone who is considering applying next year!

If you are really set on getting an MS in EPi from Berkeley then you should apply but if you're like me where you weren't so set on specifically an MS, consider applying for the MPH instead. Just wanted to let anyone know, especially since the SOPHAS + UC application + sending GRE scores cost me $200 total. Perhaps they made it clear somewhere that this program is so small, but I didn't see it so I want to get the word out.

Jun 13, 2019
Although we all have different criteria to judge MPH schools on with regards to where to attend . . . I would include in my list things like having a program that "failed" (of which there were complaints from NYU CC MPH students here and elsewhere not too many years ago), the perceived reputation and many other factors . . . you have to use something when you look at different schools I would say. Also, I don' t know what "against the grain" means for NYU, certainly faculty at NYU and elsewhere probably felt that NYU CC program was unethical. Here is a snipe of a complaint from just a few years ago:

As a family member of a student in this program, these complaints are completely valid and understated. There were many other problems not mentioned that have arisen. Tuition was supposed to include all meals while overseas. That turned out to be five dinners a week (down from the promised 21). Clean drinking water is not provided. Housing was to be at NYU housing, it is not, comprising the safety and security of the students. Classes were far below masters level. As someone with a PhD I disagree with some of the commenters and feel that a masters program should teach you the fundamentals of the subject matter you are studying, something NYU has regrettably failed to do. My family member in this program may leave with three new letters behind their name but they will graduate with no new knowledge, applicable skills, or valuable public health experience. Additionally, many students have voiced their concerns but were either punished for retaliation or blatantly ignored which has ensured that future open discussion about program improvements will not be held.

Fair enough . . . but you just go to one public health school in a lifetime, and if that happens in the next few years, (versus decades), many applicants want to go to the school which is good now, not which might have rehabilitated itself in a decade or more. I don't think this is a case of, "NYU needs emotional and financial support now, come be a student and help us build up our reputation!"

It seems like the controversial NYU campus in the UAE is still operating and it has a recent controversial past: The Labor Abuse That Went Into NYU’s Abu Dhabi Campus. NYU exploited migrant workers, they certainly wouldn't be above exploiting MPH students who are at the bottom of the totem pole, the school has a "business model" which it's first goal isn't typical for a university such as research or education.

I think that you might be giving NYU too much credit they had severe problems with the practicum in Ghana:

• The fall semester also includes 180 hours of field work in the form of a practicum, or internship. Do not be fooled -- these are not internships as you understand them to be. NYU and UG are laughably unorganized in their orchestration of these practicums. We have been here for 7 weeks and there are students who still have not started, students whose internships cancelled on them, students who were not allowed to use the restroom or eat while at work, students who sit for 5-8 hours a day doing nothing because their internship sites do not have work for them to do. I understand this might even be a violation of the CEPH Accreditation standards. The organizations are ill prepared for and/or unable to accommodate interns, but NYU will attempt to sell you on what an "incredible opportunity" they are, and the "insight" you will gain at work.

My first impression when somebody (anybody) is trying to advertise a school is that they often advertise the opposite of what the negative and real impression is. There is a whole "fit for the program" mythology at many programs, that they want special students, of the course the dean would say something positive, but we know from recent history and what reporters have said about NYU is that the school went crazy with growth and charging high tuition for questionable academic activities. I think that NYU is also still trying to recruit numbers!

Of course NYU is going to make general statements that don't have details like "changes across the board" were made. But jeez, the person who posted on Reddit went on about how if in the accelerated CC MPH program if you wanted to party abroad for a year and not study that is the program for you! I've met people who felt that the MPH degree was more about teaching you, "a way of thinking" versus learning hard facts or skills and they seemed pretty . . . nebulous and didn't display critical thinking skills, at least to me, and they weren't exactly working in a public health field after school. I think hard skills are important, as are critical thinking skills, with some many options available for an MPH for probably most students, why go to NYU?

I think NYU is like BU, a new-ish sort of public health school that wants to "grow" their reputation and whom really ramped up the student population the last decade while sacrificing making sure the education is quality, same complaints at BU, a watered down curriculum. BU is pretty much a non-visible school outside of boston in a lot of ways, they wanted admitted students to sell the school and somehow increase their reputation so they can get higher profile students, so they aren't focused on their current students, like a monkey always looking higher up for the next branch they don't care who they're standing on right now. BU pushes students ridiculously hard to be cheerleaders for the school, but offers less in terms of a practicum or post-graduation assistance, I wouldn't be surprised if NYU is the same way. Your education is too important to be caught-up in advertising for the next year's crop.
Honestly as a person who have already been to grad school, that’s how many masters programs are.Truthfully, every school is going to have issues, no matter what. If it is not a failed program, it would be something else. I believe a person should pick a school based on their own set of standards, and not just use others opinions of the school as a justification. I know the program that I attended for my first masters did not have any advertised issues, but it definitely had serious administrative problems, despite it being high “ranked”. I understand what you are saying about the CC program, but honestly I believe those types of issues are MUCH more common than you think in grad school across the board. Also I disagree in saying that BU is only known in Boston. I actually believe BU is a very well known school, and I live in the DC metropolitan area.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
hey all

I just applied to Dartmouth's MPH 11 month program

I have a 4.0 in public health and a 3.82 in Pre-med and wrote about my desire for emergency medicine healthcare reform

they waived the GRE because of COVID so I have no score

What are the odds this pans out in light of the current situation and how close it is to the deadline?

Reactions: KBPsych
Jan 29, 2020
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Hello, after stalking this forum for weeks and learning about where everyone was going. I finally decided to commit to George Washington for their Health policy program. I saw a few ppl here like rap15 who also committed to GW and I'd love to get in touch when the semester starts .:)

RN I'm worried about settling into a city I've never been to, I know DC housing is pretty competitive and unfortunately I won't be able to go down and start looking until well into July.

Oct 28, 2019
Status
Hello, after stalking this forum for weeks and learning about where everyone was going. I finally decided to commit to George Washington for their Health policy program. I saw a few ppl here like rap15 who also committed to GW and I'd love to get in touch when the semester starts .:)

RN I'm worried about settling into a city I've never been to, I know DC housing is pretty competitive and unfortunately I won't be able to go down and start looking until well into July.
Congrats! If you decide to create a group chat please add me! I too am worried about the move, especially with current times. I’m planning to leave late June but may extend until late July. I’ve heard the city is crazy expensive so I’m considering living outside of the city but near a metro line.

Oct 28, 2019
Status
I reached out to UC Berkeley MS in Epidemiology just out of curiosity as to why they rejected my application. They said they split the number of slots between PhD and masters students, and that they normally accept *0* students for the MS in Epi program, but this year they accepted *2*. Of course I wouldn't have applied if I had known this!! I figured this would be interesting info for anyone else who was rejected or especially anyone who is considering applying next year!

If you are really set on getting an MS in EPi from Berkeley then you should apply but if you're like me where you weren't so set on specifically an MS, consider applying for the MPH instead. Just wanted to let anyone know, especially since the SOPHAS + UC application + sending GRE scores cost me $200 total. Perhaps they made it clear somewhere that this program is so small, but I didn't see it so I want to get the word out.
That’s crazy—they allow prospective students to apply but generally accept “0”? Take your talents elsewhere!

About the Ads
Feb 17, 2020
Status
That’s crazy—they allow prospective students to apply but generally accept “0”? Take your talents elsewhere!
Right??? I suppose I technically had a chance to get in but who would apply knowing only 2 max get in. Really bummed because it was the closest program to home for me, but at least now other people can have this info for the future.

Jun 13, 2019
hey all

I just applied to Dartmouth's MPH 11 month program

I have a 4.0 in public health and a 3.82 in Pre-med and wrote about my desire for emergency medicine healthcare reform

they waived the GRE because of COVID so I have no score

What are the odds this pans out in light of the current situation and how close it is to the deadline?
I have applied to the Dartmouth program in February. I would call the school and ask how that impacts your application. They are pretty helpful.

May 22, 2018

To me, what they did makes no sense. Assuming these two matriculate at Cal, what would they be able to achieve without a cohort? Quite a bit of the educational experience comes from interacting with those going through the same program as you. Why fund an entire program when you only admit two people?

Reactions: rosemary_ and hujkw
Feb 3, 2020
To me, what they did makes no sense. Assuming these two matriculate at Cal, what would they be able to achieve without a cohort? Quite a bit of the educational experience comes from interacting with those going through the same program as you. Why fund an entire program when you only admit two people?
I have a friend who goes to Berkeley who told me that the MS in Epi program is mostly people who already were at Berkeley and already working with Professors. And they’re not really funding a separate program since the people probably take the MPH and PhD classes which are already being held.

I think there used to be more info on the website about it being a very limited program—that’s how I knew not to apply. I think they removed it. They really need to communicate it better!

Reactions: hujkw
OP
rap15

rap15

2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2017
Congrats! If you decide to create a group chat please add me! I too am worried about the move, especially with current times. I’m planning to leave late June but may extend until late July. I’ve heard the city is crazy expensive so I’m considering living outside of the city but near a metro line.
@jparky @leejh129879 about to send you a message!

anyone else committing to GW, please reach out and we can start a groupme

Reactions: GlobalAmbassador
Oct 24, 2019
Hi everyone, I’m trying to access my financial aid for Columbia (supposedly it has been posted on my account) but am unable to see it.. I have refreshed and logged onto my student viewer page, and checked under “status updates” on the graduate portal. Was anyone in a similar situation that has advice?

Nov 11, 2019
Status
Non-Student
Hi everyone, I’m trying to access my financial aid for Columbia (supposedly it has been posted on my account) but am unable to see it.. I have refreshed and logged onto my student viewer page, and checked under “status updates” on the graduate portal. Was anyone in a similar situation that has advice?
There’s a separate financial aid portal you need to access to see your aid information. Under the “Financial Aid Information” tab there’s a link to it, and you use your CUID # to login.

Hope this helps!

Oct 24, 2019
There’s a separate financial aid portal you need to access to see your aid information. Under the “Financial Aid Information” tab there’s a link to it, and you use your CUID # to login.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I have logged in but only see a generic statement about aid and loan repayment, nothing about my financial aid award

Nov 11, 2019
Status
Non-Student
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I have logged in but only see a generic statement about aid and loan repayment, nothing about my financial aid award
Wow sorry I wasn’t helpful at all! This might be more of what you already have tried, but did you click on the menu on the top left? That brings you to where you can find the awards page and I know I didn’t see it at first.

About the Ads
Jan 29, 2020
This is a little random, but did anyone here apply to NYU Wagner's MPA in Health Policy and Management? I personally didn't apply to their school of public health, so I was wondering if anyone else was considering Wagner!

Dec 1, 2019
Status
does anybody have any contacts in admissions for UCLA? I've reached out a few times via email because it's been over 4 months since I applied and haven't received an update, and no one's responding to me.

Feb 17, 2020
Status
Anyone have any insight between NYU for Health Policy vs George Washington... most likely leaning towards GW but would love any insight

Feb 11, 2020
Status
I just declined my admissions to GW. I've decided to attend Boston University! Anyone else attending BU? Let me know because I would love to get to know you!

Reactions: Mimizz

tynnguyen92

2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
California
Status
does anybody have any contacts in admissions for UCLA? I've reached out a few times via email because it's been over 4 months since I applied and haven't received an update, and no one's responding to me.
I emailed the admissions office (in particuar, S. Sagoo) for Epi in the beginning of March, end of Feb and got NO response until I finally received an acceptance letter on 3/20.

Reactions: nfrockwell

TD2018

2+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2018
Try following up on your email. I followed up on an email this week and admissions apologized because they are working from home now and didn't have access to their previous emails.

Nov 13, 2019
Status
I officially committed to Columbia for HPM! :soexcited:
I ended up deferring for a year because of the pandemic, but I hope to see some of you in New York next year.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help throughout the application cycle, I probably would have gone more insane than I already did if I didn’t have this forum to help along the way. Good luck with your decisions!!!

Oct 28, 2019
Status
Anyone have any insight between NYU for Health Policy vs George Washington... most likely leaning towards GW but would love any insight
Can’t beat DC for Policy haha!

Dec 1, 2019
Status
I emailed the admissions office (in particuar, S. Sagoo) for Epi in the beginning of March, end of Feb and got NO response until I finally received an acceptance letter on 3/20.
Try following up on your email. I followed up on an email this week and admissions apologized because they are working from home now and didn't have access to their previous emails.
I followed up with S. Sagoo for epi yesterday. Here's hoping I get a response before the weekend. Thank you both!

May 22, 2018
You may want to contact Michelle Garcia or follow up with your previous email.

About the Ads
Nov 12, 2019
Status
Honestly as a person who have already been to grad school, that’s how many masters programs are.Truthfully, every school is going to have issues, no matter what. If it is not a failed program, it would be something else. I believe a person should pick a school based on their own set of standards, and not just use others opinions of the school as a justification. I know the program that I attended for my first masters did not have any advertised issues, but it definitely had serious administrative problems, despite it being high “ranked”. I understand what you are saying about the CC program, but honestly I believe those types of issues are MUCH more common than you think in grad school across the board. Also I disagree in saying that BU is only known in Boston. I actually believe BU is a very well known school, and I live in the DC metropolitan area.
BU is a pretty well known school, for some reason this She-Hulk person seems weirdly obsessed with hating on the program, I wouldn’t listen to any advice they give about any MPH program unless you’ve heard it from other reputable sources as well.

OP
rap15

rap15

2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2017
I chose GW because I don’t have to move and so I can keep working full time. Plus, DC is a great place for health policy!!

I don’t know too much about NYU. I think you should think about if you want to live in NYC or in the DC area (I live in Virginia), who gave you more $$, etc.

Feb 4, 2020
Hello! So I'm kinda freaking out now that none of the actual visits are happening because I have no idea how to decide. I got accepted to UNC, Yale, BU, UIC, and Emory. Cost wise, UIC is by far the cheapest but I'm having a hard time finding information from past students, so would appreciate any feedback on them (also is there an admitted students facebook page??)!! Also, just a general question, Yale ends up being 63k (while the rest are $53-$59k, and UIC is $34k)... is an ivy league MPH education worth the investment? Any other feedback on the schools (or cities they're in because I haven't been to any of them HAHA) I listed would be SO appreciated

Reactions: upstreamist
Dec 17, 2019
I officially committed to Columbia for HPM! :soexcited:
I ended up deferring for a year because of the pandemic, but I hope to see some of you in New York next year.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help throughout the application cycle, I probably would have gone more insane than I already did if I didn’t have this forum to help along the way. Good luck with your decisions!!!
Congratulations! Did you choose defer directly or did you accept and then contact them?

May 22, 2018
Thanks for the helpful feedback! I just submitted an appeal, and I'll post an update when I know whether it's been successful or not.
Update: I appealed for a scholarship and was successful.

Feb 17, 2020
Status
Update: I appealed for a scholarship and was successful.
Congrats that's amazing!! Was this at JHU? And when did you appeal? I did on Tuesday, and I haven't heard anything yet.

Reactions: HomoSapienSapien
May 22, 2018
Congrats that's amazing!! Was this at JHU? And when did you appeal? I did on Tuesday, and I haven't heard anything yet.
Correct. Appealed on Wednesday. Who did you email?

Reactions: GlobalAmbassador
Feb 17, 2020
Status
I emailed [email protected]. Did you email the same address? We applied to different departments so maybe that's why I haven't received a response yet.

Nov 13, 2019
Status
Congratulations! Did you choose defer directly or did you accept and then contact them?
Originally I had accepted in the portal but hadn't put my deposit down yet, then I changed it to "I would like to request a deferral" and updated my portal. It took a couple of days for them to accept and a new "status update" was posted to my portal saying I had officially deferred. I still had to submit the deposit so if you decide to defer after accepting I'm sure you could send them an email!

Mar 23, 2020
Status
Hello! So I'm kinda freaking out now that none of the actual visits are happening because I have no idea how to decide. I got accepted to UNC, Yale, BU, UIC, and Emory. Cost wise, UIC is by far the cheapest but I'm having a hard time finding information from past students, so would appreciate any feedback on them (also is there an admitted students facebook page??)!! Also, just a general question, Yale ends up being 63k (while the rest are $53-$59k, and UIC is $34k)... is an ivy league MPH education worth the investment? Any other feedback on the schools (or cities they're in because I haven't been to any of them HAHA) I listed would be SO appreciated
Hey! I was also admitted to UIC but for Epidemiology! It has been the cheapest option for me as well, but like you mentioned, I'm having a tough time getting info about the program from current students.

My current public health/epidemiology professors at UC Davis seem to think that the MPH program at UIC is pretty good (they judged it based on curriculum and location - Chicago). Also, I did find a UIC Graduate School of Public Health group on Facebook and got accepted to it just yesterday! I would recommend requesting to join that group, it may be helpful with getting info on whichever concentration you are pursuing!

Cheers!

Reactions: Pubhealth1234
Feb 4, 2020
Status
Non-Student
Hope everyone is doing as well as can be expected in these crazy times!
Like many of you, I am really struggling to decide between schools.. I do eventually plan on getting a PhD

I did have someone (who went to UNC for her MPH and has since worked at Harvard, Dartmouth, and CDC) tell me that ranking of your MPH program is the first thing that PhD admissions committees look at and is the most important.. it just all felt kind of elitist and I'm hoping that's not really accurate? wondering if anyone has any insight on that?

I am torn between Drexel and UNC- I am not familiar with the Philly/Drexel area and will not be able to visit before making a decision because of everything that is going on with COVID-19 so I would love to get any insight that people many have on the school/area- I do like that it is right between NYC and DC.

Drexel- I have received a merit scholarship and fellowship which means I would only have to take out $20k or less in loans for the entire program- I really like some of the faculty that I could potentially be matched with and the fellowship allows me to do research on the same project for the entire 18month duration of the program- Which I would imagine would be a major benefit when applying to PhD programs

UNC- I LOVED the campus when I visited and really enjoyed all of my conversations with faculty and staff. I think that it has everything that I am looking for and I could absolutely see myself living there but I am not sure I am willing to commit the extra money. I have no idea when I would be able to secure research (funding), worst case scenario I would have to take out $91k, best case I would be taking out $43k.. so best case scenario it is two times as expensive, I keep getting caught up on the rankings and the fact that I could absolutely see myself living there but I just don't know if the extra money is worth it if I don't even know what my research portfolio would look like leaving..
Hi! I'm considering attending UNC as well, but for the Health Behavior MPH track. Have you attended a virtual visit day? If not, there is one coming up next week. I think you can google Experience Gillings to register for the upcoming date. I've had a few virtual Zoom chats with the Health Behavior department already, and there seems to be plenty of GSI/GSR/hourly paid opportunities for MPH students. They don't recommend working during your first semester, but it seems like if you want to get some form of funding (either hourly or partial tuition remission for RA positions) you can find them easily. It's also very rare for a student to not get residency for their second year, so this would greatly reduce your tuition costs.
I was unable to visit UNC due to COVID-19, but I'm glad to hear you loved the campus! I'm hoping to get a better idea of what the faculty and current students are like at the virtual visit day next week.

May 29, 2018
I was wondering if anyone is thinking about what happens if COVID-19 continues and affects the fall semester, making it also online instead of in-person. Do you think any of the programs would reduce tuition because of this? Has anyone heard anything?
i know yale said yesterday during the virtual chat that they’re intending on having classes on campus in the fall but noted that the situation is fluid. i really hope we can have classes in person. distance learning my last semester of undergrad has been difficult enough, cannot imagine doing that for my first semester of grad school

Jan 24, 2020
Status
Hi! I'm considering attending UNC as well, but for the Health Behavior MPH track. Have you attended a virtual visit day? If not, there is one coming up next week. I think you can google Experience Gillings to register for the upcoming date. I've had a few virtual Zoom chats with the Health Behavior department already, and there seems to be plenty of GSI/GSR/hourly paid opportunities for MPH students. They don't recommend working during your first semester, but it seems like if you want to get some form of funding (either hourly or partial tuition remission for RA positions) you can find them easily. It's also very rare for a student to not get residency for their second year, so this would greatly reduce your tuition costs.
I was unable to visit UNC due to COVID-19, but I'm glad to hear you loved the campus! I'm hoping to get a better idea of what the faculty and current students are like at the virtual visit day next week.
Thank you for sharing all of this!
It has definitely been helpful to hear more from current students about what it is like to get funding (esp. RA tuition remission funding) once you get to campus.. I will also be attending the virtual Experience Gillings day and am looking forward to learning more.
I'm sorry you weren't able to see campus, I absolutely understand that this makes making a decision on where you want to spend the next two years of your life even more challenging.. I would definitely recommend checking out maps and pictures of campus. It is a beautiful campus with a decent amount of green space. The main Gillings building is right across the road from a small cafe and the med library, all of this is very close to campus center (bookstore, student center etc.) and Gillings is surrounded by other advanced degree/professional schools which I think is nice.

uk__med

2+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I was wondering if anyone is thinking about what happens if COVID-19 continues and affects the fall semester, making it also online instead of in-person. Do you think any of the programs would reduce tuition because of this? Has anyone heard anything?
Also wondering this! I wish I deferred.

About the Ads