MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
uggghhh! so annoying! I just got done emailing Rebecca for the HPM.
Honestly at this point I just have to be done with them, I need to make housing arrangements to attend a school that actually wants me there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly at this point I just have to be done with them, I need to make housing arrangements to attend a school that actually wants me there.

Agree! I just mailed my deposit to another school. I don't want to run around looking for a place last minute when I've been accepted to another school that I'm equally happy to attend

Reactions: 1 user
I called a couple of people this morning, including the director of admissions Dr. Korevec, and got no answer. I could understand if I called during lunch but it was 10 am.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called a couple of people this morning, including the director of admissions Dr. Korevec, and got no answer. I could understand if I called during lunch but it was 10 am.

He's really good with emails (@ least from my experience) ... If Rebecca gets back too me I'll let you guys know

About the Columbia waitlist...I tried calling roughly ten times over the last week and was seriously given the run around and transferred to a phone that was never answered, when the main Epi office managed to even take my call. So I emailed...and many days later got a vague response that no, they do not have any updates for waitlisted applicants. They are "hoping" to let people know in a couple weeks.

I got similar treatment. I've already sent my deposit to another school but I figured that I'd hold out housing plans until I'm sure that Columbia rejected me. This run around thing they're doing is so annoying. I wish they'd give straight answers.

He's really good with emails (@ least from my experience) ... If Rebecca gets back too me I'll let you guys know

Thanks! I'm waitlisted for Epi but I'll be glad to know if the waitlist is moving in a different department.

How many seats does epi have?

I don't know tbh with you but I read a little further up thread that our waitlist wasn't likely to move much if at all because too many people accepted their offer.

You're hpm, right? Do you know how many seats are available?

I don't know tbh with you but I read a little further up thread that our waitlist wasn't likely to move much if at all because too many people accepted their offer.

It's all subjective things happen last minute & ppl who accepted offers could be waiting on another school --it's hard to tell

You're hpm, right? Do you know how many seats are available?

Yes I'm waitlisted HPM; we have 350 seats

Hi @oceanhue how did you go about this. Phone call or Mail. Who did you make the request to, Jonathan Cote? What exactly did you say?

Contact whoever signed your admissions letter. Just be honest. I contacted him in February though and had to wait until after April 15th. Good luck.

Can Columbia just put us all out of our misery already? I'm so tired of this waiting game. :( it's been three weeks since the decision deadline, shouldn't they have notified us by now?

Can Columbia just put us all out of our misery already? I'm so tired of this waiting game. :( it's been three weeks since the decision deadline, shouldn't they have notified us by now?

Maybe we didn't make the cut with round 1 of the waitlist moving? maybe there wasn't much of a move...

Still no word back from the email I sent Rebecca

Could be many reasons

Members don't see this ad :)
Just transferred from Columbia's MPH in Health Policy & Management department to the MHA program there! Hope that opens up a spot for someone!!

Maybe we didn't make the cut with round 1 of the waitlist moving? maybe there wasn't much of a move...

Still no word back from the email I sent Rebecca

Could be many reasons

I did see someone get accepted last wednesday to MFH on grad cafe, but maybe that was for the part time program

Just transferred from Columbia's MPH in Health Policy & Management department to the MHA program there! Hope that opens up a spot for someone!!

Was it difficult to switch departments? What was the process like?

I did see someone get accepted last wednesday to MFH on grad cafe, but maybe that was for the part time program

Not sure what MFH is but I guess it'll move along when it does. I'm not sure how many ppl are on the list. And no one responded back too me :/

The MPH in Population and Family Health.

I sure hope it does :( they said they will try their best to tell us our status by May.

The MPH in Population and Family Health.

I sure hope it does :( they said they will try their best to tell us our status by May.

Ahhhh gotcha!

We have 350 seats not sure how many belong to the acc. Program but hang in there!

Have you decided on another school as a back up?

Ahhhh gotcha!

We have 350 seats not sure how many belong to the acc. Program but hang in there!

Have you decided on another school as a back up?

I've placed a deposit at BU, but I am also waiting on USC as well as Columbia

I've been looking forward to this thread after stumbling upon the Fall 2014 one!!

Undergrad School: University of California, Riverside
Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Major/Minor: BA in Global Studies
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): will take end of September!!
Experience/Research (please, be brief): hospital internship (1 year), volunteering in convalescent hospital (3 months), Inside UCSF, starting to volunteer with Planned Parenthood, hoping to get into a LA Community Health Worker training program, most of my experience is in..event programming/student affairs

Applied: (planning for now) UCLA (community health sciences), UCI (sociocultural diversity and health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Do you all recommend any other programs that focus on health education/social & behavioral sciences/etc?? Looking forward to our conversations and bonding!!!!! :)

Hey by any chance have you heard back from UCI? you applied for fall of 2015?

Was it difficult to switch departments? What was the process like?

It was surprisingly very easy! I emailed a nice email ph-admit asking what the process is and if its possible. Betsey Asher said she would forward my email to the department and 2 days later she got back to me telling my request was approved!! I was shocked, I thought there would be an essay at least to change my degree but nope, simple as that. She gave me my new department contact and said the Office of Student Affairs will begin communicating with us in a couple weeks.

It was surprisingly very easy! I emailed a nice email ph-admit asking what the process is and if its possible. Betsey Asher said she would forward my email to the department and 2 days later she got back to me telling my request was approved!! I was shocked, I thought there would be an essay at least to change my degree but nope, simple as that. She gave me my new department contact and said the Office of Student Affairs will begin communicating with us in a couple weeks.

I'm just curious what made you switch from MPH to MHA for HPM?

Has anyone applied to USF, UAB, or FSU for a MPH?

I applied and was accepted at USF (my alma mater). When I was taking UG courses at FSU I corresponded with Kaley Boggs (MPH program coordinator) but elected not to apply because they don't use SOPHAS.

I applied and was accepted at USF (my alma mater). When I was taking UG courses at FSU I corresponded with Kaley Boggs (MPH program coordinator) but elected not to apply because they don't use SOPHAS.
Vespasian, I am looking to apply to USF and FSU but have never visited either campus or even Tampa or Tally. While I obviously plan on making a trip down before I accept (assuming I am accepted), can you please tell me whether or not you enjoyed either or both experiences based on location (Tampa, Tally) and school (academics, professors, etc)? I just graduated from the University of Alabama and going into grad school, it is very important to me that I relocate to an area that is not strictly a college town.

Vespasian, I am looking to apply to USF and FSU but have never visited either campus or even Tampa or Tally. While I obviously plan on making a trip down before I accept (assuming I am accepted), can you please tell me whether or not you enjoyed either or both experiences based on location (Tampa, Tally) and school (academics, professors, etc)? I just graduated from the University of Alabama and going into grad school, it is very important to me that I relocate to an area that is not strictly a college town.

FSU/Tally- Definitely a college town. The entire place shuts down during football games and just about everyone goes/went to either FSU, FAMU or TCC. The faculty at FSU were fantastic and there are many research opportunities IMO. The MPH program didn't impress me too terribly much and it seemed as though the program was almost an afterthought. I considered the FSU program because I had a pretty cushy research gig as an undergrad but decided the effort of applying outside of SOPHAS wasn't worth it. The campus is beautiful and charming. FSU is considered to be a budget ivy league and has a very high research activity Carnegie classification. I loved the feeling of community on campus as an undergrad, the scenery and the research opportunities available.

USF/Tampa- I wouldn't consider Tampa to strictly be a college town. You've got several universities and community colleges nearby but they don't seem to dominate the area like FSU does in Tally. There are some really beautiful areas around Tampa (St. Pete for example) and you can find some quiet, out of the way places to live (New Port Richey, Brooksville) and commute to USF. The faculty and staff I encountered at the College of Public Health were fantastic. They seem to be genuinely enthusiastic about their field and student success. I get eMails for RA positions all of the time so I feel as though there are many research opportunities at USF. USF's CoPH just moved up in the US News rankings and I think it reflects the investment USF has made in their public health programs.

I hope the information helps. If you have any additional questions feel free to PM me.

Very, very helpful. I don't want to bore everyone else with the rest of my irrelevant questions so I will PM you shortly! Thank you!

I'm currently debating between University of Minnesota, Washington University in St. Louis (WashU), or my home state of University of Arizona. I was accepted to George Washington University (GWU) too, but the costs and loans I would've needed to take were just too much. Any advice on which would be better between Minn or WashU? I know Minn is the better school, but it also seems like there would be more competition than at a smaller school like WashU. WashU is also not ranked, but their name is well known with their med program. Really conflicted and thinking about costs as well. UofA is just so cheap with in-state tuition, but not sure if I would be losing out by going there?

Hi everyone. I'm starting my 1-year MPH this Fall & I'm in Los Angeles for the summer. I need a job this summer but I'm too late for many internships. What do I do? I'm tutoring but feel ashamed that I don't have a job for 3 months. I already contacted Columbia but their networks are mostly in NY

Please give me some suggestions.

Hi everyone. I'm starting my 1-year MPH this Fall & I'm in Los Angeles for the summer. I need a job this summer but I'm too late for many internships. What do I do? I'm tutoring but feel ashamed that I don't have a job for 3 months. I already contacted Columbia but their networks are mostly in NY

I am also going to be jobless this summer (moving from GA to IL later this month). I'm trying to find a research position at my school, but if that doesn't work I'm just going to get some sort of part time job and maybe do some volunteering. I'm changing careers, so I'm actually looking forward to getting to do something different and low-stress over the summer. Plus, having a laid back summer right before starting grad school isn't a terrible thing.

Maybe you can look into this program: https://cfhc.org/about/career-center/interns
They might still have openings. Just contact Laurel Beyrer, the program coordinator. She is very friendly.

Hello all,

I haven't been on SDN for a while, but I have seen some students here who've been accepted into programs I'm currently looking at, so I figured I'd present my credentials. I'm not entirely sure whether I will be accepted or not, so here it is.

Bachelors of Neuroscience and Psychology at Stony Brook University - uGPA - 2.9

Research:
Study in Cognitive Psychology at Stony Brook University: Assessing cognitive implications of conversation, eye tracking studies as well.

Shadowing experience:
- 250 hours: Interacting with patients, providing basic care (overseen by physician). Working with nurses, PAs and other physicians.

Volunteer Experience:
Stony Brook Hospital O.R - 300 Hours
NY Presbyterian Hospital Neurology Dept. - starting soon (planning on an additional 300 hours)

Employment (Healthcare Experience):
Clinical Coordinator - Specialty Pharmacy - 1500 hours
Specialty Pharmacy Associate - Emblem Health - 950 hours
Pharmacy Technician - 5000 hours
Tutor: Biology and Piano - Private
Extracurricular:
Active Member of the Neuroscience Axis at Stony Brook University.

I plan on applying to Temple, Drexel, UPenn along with a few others. I'm a 32 year old non-traditional Hispanic applicant; I do not know if these characteristics of mine will be of any benefit at this point. I've yet to take my MCAT, but I'm pulling for above a 32. Any recommendations for schools you guys can offer?

Hello all,

I haven't been on SDN for a while, but I have seen some students here who've been accepted into programs I'm currently looking at, so I figured I'd present my credentials. I'm not entirely sure whether I will be accepted or not, so here it is.

Bachelors of Neuroscience and Psychology at Stony Brook University - uGPA - 2.9

Research:
Study in Cognitive Psychology at Stony Brook University: Assessing cognitive implications of conversation, eye tracking studies as well.

Shadowing experience:
- 250 hours: Interacting with patients, providing basic care (overseen by physician). Working with nurses, PAs and other physicians.

Volunteer Experience:
Stony Brook Hospital O.R - 300 Hours
NY Presbyterian Hospital Neurology Dept. - starting soon (planning on an additional 300 hours)

Employment (Healthcare Experience):
Clinical Coordinator - Specialty Pharmacy - 1500 hours
Specialty Pharmacy Associate - Emblem Health - 950 hours
Pharmacy Technician - 5000 hours
Tutor: Biology and Piano - Private
Extracurricular:
Active Member of the Neuroscience Axis at Stony Brook University.

I plan on applying to Temple, Drexel, UPenn along with a few others. I'm a 32 year old non-traditional Hispanic applicant; I do not know if these characteristics of mine will be of any benefit at this point. I've yet to take my MCAT, but I'm pulling for above a 32. Any recommendations for schools you guys can offer?

I think you may have the wrong subforum; you sound like you're applying to medical school, listing all of your shadowing and mentioning your MCAT. This forum is for MPH applicants. Your GPA will pretty much disqualify you from all medical schools IMO. It is a very low at uGPA - 2.9. Being a minority applicant is irrelevant with one that low.

I think you may have the wrong subforum; you sound like you're applying to medical school, listing all of your shadowing and mentioning your MCAT. This forum is for MPH applicants. Your GPA will pretty much disqualify you from all medical schools IMO. It is a very low at uGPA - 2.9. Being a minority applicant is irrelevant with one that low.

My intention is not to apply to medical school without first completing a post-bacc or a special masters program. If this is the wrong forum, then I apologize, but in no way am I indicating that I'm applying to medical school without completing one of these programs first. Moreover, my grades are pretty much segregated into two categories, my early years at college (when I was incapable of committing to my schooling), and my later years after returning to school. I've since returned to school to complete my bachelors, have been retaking courses I've done poorly in, getting A's in them as well as taking upper division biology and chemistry courses and excelling. Unfortunately, even with a solid two years of A's and a few B+'s my GPA will still be below a 3.0. That's the only reason why it's so low.

My intention is not to apply to medical school without first completing a post-bacc or a special masters program. If this is the wrong forum, then I apologize, but in no way am I indicating that I'm applying to medical school without completing one of these programs first.

Well...it sounded like you wanted medical school...since you mentioned MCATs and no GRE. No worries then. You also need to take the GRE. If you're applying for an MPH [which this subforum is for], then see if you can get recs from the stonybrook OR attendings you worked with [just 1, with good credentials], and from the neuro attendings you worked with [just 1]. Talk to them about interests and what you'd like the letter to say approximately. I got all my recommendations for my MPH from hospital attendings that I worked with [again volunteer work may be different so it depends on what you did] and it turned out very well.

You should also be aware that a masters degree will not help much in medical school applications. Your overall uGPA is low, though I am not sure if you have taken pre-req classes yet. Good luck.

Well...it sounded like you wanted medical school...since you mentioned MCATs and no GRE. No worries then. You also need to take the GRE. If you're applying for an MPH [which this subforum is for], then see if you can get recs from the stonybrook OR attendings you worked with [just 1, with good credentials], and from the neuro attendings you worked with [just 1]. Talk to them about interests and what you'd like the letter to say approximately. I got all my recommendations for my MPH from hospital attendings that I worked with [again volunteer work may be different so it depends on what you did] and it turned out very well.

You should also be aware that a masters degree will not help much in medical school applications. Your overall uGPA is low, though I am not sure if you have taken pre-req classes yet. Good luck.

I didn't know I needed to take the GRE. I plan in getting into a post-bacc program, if that is more helpful on getting into medical school. Now I'm confused. I've been reading posts from those who've gotten GPAs lower than I have and they have gotten into post-bacc programs and have done well in them, which has in turn improved their chances of getting into med school. I haven't taken the MCAT as of yet, but I plan on doing well on it. I've been preparing for it for quite a while and will be taking it toward the end of the year. Best case scenario, if I score very well (35-36), will my chances increase of getting into a decent post bacc program like georgetown, temple or drexel?

Should I just get another bachelors degree to show that I have the potential here? I'm willing to do anything to get into an allopathic school and no matter how long it takes I will devote whatever is necessary to getting an MD. My earlier years really screwed me up, but I'm literally a different person now and I need to show it to them in the best way possible.

I didn't know I needed to take the GRE. I plan in getting into a post-bacc program, if that is more helpful on getting into medical school. Now I'm confused. I've been reading posts from those who've gotten GPAs lower than I have and they have gotten into post-bacc programs and have done well in them, which has in turn improved their chances of getting into med school. I haven't taken the MCAT as of yet, but I plan on doing well on it. I've been preparing for it for quite a while and will be taking it toward the end of the year. Best case scenario, if I score very well (35-36), will my chances increase of getting into a decent post bacc program like georgetown, temple or drexel?

Should I just get another bachelors degree to show that I have the potential here? I'm willing to do anything to get into an allopathic school and no matter how long it takes I will devote whatever is necessary to getting an MD. My earlier years really screwed me up, but I'm literally a different person now and I need to show it to them in the best way possible.
Yes, so this forum is mainly for people who want to work in the field of public health rather than the medical field. Also, a MPH program is not the same as a post-bacc program from what I know. For those who are thinking or are pursuing medicine (like me), we are doing this MPH because we really want to have more knowledge about the public health field. I would recommend that you go this route if you are interested in public health! Not if you are doing this solely to improve your chances of being accepted to medical school. Hope that helps!

You don't need the gre to get into an mph program. I've gotten into 6/7 programs I've applied to with my MCAT, one of which was Drexel. I did find that it limited the schools I applied to though. I don't remember all of them but I know Boston was one but I believe Temple's program accepted the MCAT.

I don't think you need to get another bachelors degree. I might be talking out of my ass but it sounds like a waste of time and money in all honesty. Focus on getting into a grad program where you can show a good gpa trend and then focus on the mcat score. Public Health programs don't need you to score extremely high on the mcat. Try to do well on it the first time so that you can use that for both your mph program and your med school app.

You seem to be focused on post bacc vs public health specifically. I would urge you not to apply to public health if you are only using it to get a leg up for medical school. A lot of people seem to think that but it's disingenuous in my opinion.

I'd suggest trying: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/postbaccalaureate-programs.71/

An MPH is neither a post-bacc nor an SMP in the sense that you're looking for. All of the stats you see in this thread are for applicants who are applying to public health related programs, not SMPs/PBs which can improve your chances of med school admission. I'm sure a graduate degree in PH wouldn't hurt your chances though.

My intention is not to apply to medical school without first completing a post-bacc or a special masters program. If this is the wrong forum, then I apologize, but in no way am I indicating that I'm applying to medical school without completing one of these programs first. Moreover, my grades are pretty much segregated into two categories, my early years at college (when I was incapable of committing to my schooling), and my later years after returning to school. I've since returned to school to complete my bachelors, have been retaking courses I've done poorly in, getting A's in them as well as taking upper division biology and chemistry courses and excelling. Unfortunately, even with a solid two years of A's and a few B+'s my GPA will still be below a 3.0. That's the only reason why it's so low.

If your reason for getting an MPH is to get into medical school, it's a waste of your time. Overall, your performance in an MPH program will weigh very very little in a medical school's admission decision as it doesn't provide any indication for performance in the hard sciences. An MPH is not the same as a post-bacc or an SMP. If your only interested in medicine, you should look into one of those instead. If, however, you have an interest in public health as well as medicine, an MPH can supplement a medical degree.

I'm just curious what made you switch from MPH to MHA for HPM?

Sorry for the late response. Finishing up undergrad work and what not. Basically I was always leaning towards the MHA program but I though it would be more difficult to get into so I just settled for HPM. The MHA degree is just more business based and more strongly aligned with my career interests post graduation. Right now, I'm in interested in doing consulting and it seems they recruit MHA, then MPH students.

I just emailed Betsey Asher to see what the application process would be like and she simply forwarded my email and it was simple as that! I'm still curious how they came to that decision honestly...if they even looked at my original application or just determined if there was enough space in the program. Either way, I was pleasantly surprised by Columbia's turnaround response. Took 5 business days from the original email to the acceptance.

Hi all! I'm happy to see most of you picking a school and getting ready to begin! But some of us, read: me, are still stuck on where to go. This forum has been great so far so if anyone could offer their opinions I would be more than grateful!

Ok so I am interested in global health primarily but would also like skill sets in epi. I was accepted into GW, UMN, BU, Emory among many others but I've narrowed it down to those four. With my MPH I would like to work internationally for a while and then maybe back in the states but still influencing global health. I'm really interested in obesity prevention, nutrition, cultural and social affects on diseases.

Phew! I know it's a lot but any input is welcome, I also want to finally pick a school! And I thought applying was the hard part...

Hi all! I'm happy to see most of you picking a school and getting ready to begin! But some of us, read: me, are still stuck on where to go. This forum has been great so far so if anyone could offer their opinions I would be more than grateful!

Ok so I am interested in global health primarily but would also like skill sets in epi. I was accepted into GW, UMN, BU, Emory among many others but I've narrowed it down to those four. With my MPH I would like to work internationally for a while and then maybe back in the states but still influencing global health. I'm really interested in obesity prevention, nutrition, cultural and social affects on diseases.

Phew! I know it's a lot but any input is welcome, I also want to finally pick a school! And I thought applying was the hard part...

I have the same dilemma. Still not sure as to where I shouldgo - ucla or umn tc !

Out of the schools you mentioned for Global Health/Epi, I'd vote Emory or BU. They both have very strong programs for those concentrations, with Emory possibly giving the strongest Global Health education of all four (not to mention Atlanta is the public health capital of the world ). GW has a strong program but, due to the location, I think you'll end up having some focus on policy. I really don't know much about UMN's program.

Sorry for the late response. Finishing up undergrad work and what not. Basically I was always leaning towards the MHA program but I though it would be more difficult to get into so I just settled for HPM. The MHA degree is just more business based and more strongly aligned with my career interests post graduation. Right now, I'm in interested in doing consulting and it seems they recruit MHA, then MPH students.

I just emailed Betsey Asher to see what the application process would be like and she simply forwarded my email and it was simple as that! I'm still curious how they came to that decision honestly...if they even looked at my original application or just determined if there was enough space in the program. Either way, I was pleasantly surprised by Columbia's turnaround response. Took 5 business days from the original email to the acceptance.

Gotcha! But i do know a lot of consultants hold an MPH MBA MHA etc... I'm going into consulting (health care) myself; I interviewed with a couple of top notch firms but I knew my only weakness was I haven't had enough case practice because of my background --I did well enough to make it into 2 of 3 rounds without an MPH

You can essentially have a background in anything lol even film or art history as few of my friends that work at PwC do ---as long as your good socially your mind works a certain way when processing information you'll be good!

But I would definitely pick the degree with more management courses :) best of luck!!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I know that I am super late to the party, but I thought I would post since I'm new here and would like to get more involved.

Residency: CA
Undergrad School: UCI
Undergrad GPA: 3.067
Major: Biological Sciences
Graduated: 06/2013
GRE: Taken 12/02/2014, 161 VR, 165 QR, 4.5 AW
Experience/Research:
  • Internship at Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, held for two twelve week summers, one three week winter break, and one week lonf spring break.
  • Volunteered with community service organizations on campus for three years.
  • Stuck in a dead end retail job since graduating (going crazy)
Applied: UC Davis on campus (Summer 2015 MPH-Epi), GW on campus (Fall 2015 MPH-Epi), USF on campus (Fall 2015 MPH-Epi), SJSU on campus (Fall 2015 MPH-Community Health Education), and GW online (Summer 2015 MPH-General, with possible concentration in global health).
Accepted: GW on campus (05/13/2015), GW online (05/01/2014), SJSU (05/08/2015)
Rejected: UC Davis (04/23/2015)
Waitlisted:

I am primarily interested in Epidemiology with a secondary interest in global health. I am eliminating SJSU from the list because it is not the concentration that I want (only applied because I did not think I would get in anywhere else). Out of the GW programs I am leaning more toward the on campus program, although I am worried about living expenses. USF is my number one so hopefully I will hear back from them soon.

Just rejected UCLA's offer of admission + funding, so if you're on the wait list or hoping for $$, good luck!

Hey. I have admits frm UCLA and UMN TC and Im really confused. I'd like to know as to why you rejected ucla if u dont mind that is.

Withdrew from BU's MPH in Health Policy and Management
Best of luck to anyone waiting :)