-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!
Started by neuro_nerd
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I haven't heard back from Berkeley yet either but I know there's a good number of people here who have so I'm not sure if that's a good sign... =/ I applied to a concurrent degree program so I'm crossing my fingers that's the reason why there's a delay but I'm not holding my breath. What program did you apply for? Have you tried contacting them?Yes applied to Berkeley on 12/1 as well and haven't heard anything. I think most applicants haven't heard from Berkeley yet either
Last edited:
Just received notice from NYU College of Global Public Health -- admitted to SBS MPH program with a $12k annual scholarship. I had not been seriously considering NYU (I definitely over-applied to schools, due to not really knowing what grad school admissions committees look for!) but having a third of their very expensive tuition costs paid for is certainly making me look into the program more. Has anyone else been considering NYU? I know the College of Global Public Health isn't nationally ranked and just formal recognition as a stand-alone school, but the MPH program has long been CEPH certified (and the College is now pursuing full accreditation). The limbo phase, combined with no real rankings, certainly has led to a little concern on my part, but I'm not sure if others have looked into this and have different thoughts?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just accepted into NYU MPH for SBS with a $24,000 award that they refer to as the NYU MPH Scholarship. I know some on the thread have been curious as to when NYU's decisions will be sent out. Was told in December that they had a late start this year because of some re-training of staff. Anyway, I had submitted very early (September). So, just guessing that decisions have recently started going out. Best of luck to all.
What school/program is this for?I just received an email asking me to create a calnet account and upon creating it, I saw a letter of admissions from the dean of graduate studies. Did anyone else receive their acceptance letters this way?
What school/program is this for?
sorry, I completely forgot to write the name..UC Berkeley!
I was told that merit scholarship consideration would start end of Feb/1st week of MarchHas anyone heard from Emory re: financial aid?
Ah, congrats! Did you just hear back today? What program did you apply for? I'm still waiting to hear back from them and I'm a little anxious lolsorry, I completely forgot to write the name..UC Berkeley!
Ah, congrats! Did you just hear back today? What program did you apply for? I'm still waiting to hear back from them and I'm a little anxious lol
It's a real acceptance letter, I spoke to the SPH. I applied to the Public Health Nutrition program
My fingers are crossed for you! 🙂Ah, congrats! Did you just hear back today? What program did you apply for? I'm still waiting to hear back from them and I'm a little anxious lol
Thank you! I feel like I'm being that crazy person who's harassing everyone that's heard back lol. But it's the last school I need to hear back from! Do know which school you're leaning toward?My fingers are crossed for you! 🙂
I feel the same way about UW! Now that I've heard back from 2 of 3, I feel like I'm even more impatient for that last decision. 😉Thank you! I feel like I'm being that crazy person who's harassing everyone that's heard back lol. But it's the last school I need to hear back from! Do know which school you're leaning toward?
Of Columbia and Berkeley, definitely Berkeley! If I get into UW, though, it's going to be a tough call...
New here, long time lurker, first time poster.
Just wanted to let anyone who may be waiting on the University of Maryland that I got an email from the chair yesterday, and my application portal now says that my MPH app is under review for Fall 2016.
I'm still waiting on PSU and NYMC. I've heard that NYMC can be slow to notify, though.
Just wanted to let anyone who may be waiting on the University of Maryland that I got an email from the chair yesterday, and my application portal now says that my MPH app is under review for Fall 2016.
I'm still waiting on PSU and NYMC. I've heard that NYMC can be slow to notify, though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Deferred RSPH student here - Emory began reviewing apps for scholarships a bit earlier this year...I only know because I had to submit my new statement/CV for last week. Not sure if this will mean they notify recipients earlier, though. They are very selective, and few students receive merit aid. 🙁Has anyone heard from Emory re: financial aid?
Accepted to the Johns Hopkins MSPH in International Health, Global Disease Epidemiology and Control program. Has anyone else heard back yet??
I was also accepted a week ago! Very confused about picking a school :O
Accepted to Tulane for the MSPH in Tropical Medicine!
At this point, I've heard back from everywhere except for Columbia. I think I've narrowed my decision down to Emory (Global Health) and Tulane. I'm very drawn to Tulane because the MSPH in Tropical Medicine has a great reputation for sending students to medical school. This is my ultimate goal, however, it is not my intention to just use my future public health degree to simply increase my odds of getting into medical school. I would like to become a pediatrician and work in global health as both a physician and researcher. I think Emory has the resources to better prepare me for a career in global health research but Tulane has the resources to better prepare me for medical school. Okay, enough rambling... does anyone have any insight or anyone out there considering a similar career path?

At this point, I've heard back from everywhere except for Columbia. I think I've narrowed my decision down to Emory (Global Health) and Tulane. I'm very drawn to Tulane because the MSPH in Tropical Medicine has a great reputation for sending students to medical school. This is my ultimate goal, however, it is not my intention to just use my future public health degree to simply increase my odds of getting into medical school. I would like to become a pediatrician and work in global health as both a physician and researcher. I think Emory has the resources to better prepare me for a career in global health research but Tulane has the resources to better prepare me for medical school. Okay, enough rambling... does anyone have any insight or anyone out there considering a similar career path?
Last edited:
Question-- one of the schools I applied to doesn't notify applicants until end of Feb or beginning of March. Based on my admission results so far, it is clear to me that the aforementioned school is my first choice. I have had some contact with the school in the past (to ask some questions about my application).
Do you all think it would be a good idea/useful to email again and state that their program is definitely my first choice?
Thanks!!
I'm pretty sure it won't be useful, as most schools admit based on your application rather than where you rank them. Not sure if it is a good idea or not.
I applied for HPM. No I haven't tried contacting them, but I assume that they'll just start notifying us either way. Berkeley is pretty high up on my list but it seems like it's just taking forever for them to respond. Also, I keep checking their portal and my application status is still "Submitted" and hasn't changed since 12/1.I haven't heard back from Berkeley yet either but I know there's a good number of people here who have so I'm not sure if that's a good sign... =/ I applied to a concurrent degree program so I'm crossing my fingers that's the reason why there's a delay but I'm not holding my breath. What program did you apply for? Have you tried contacting them?
I applied for HPM. No I haven't tried contacting them, but I assume that they'll just start notifying us either way. Berkeley is pretty high up on my list but it seems like it's just taking forever for them to respond. Also, I keep checking their portal and my application status is still "Submitted" and hasn't changed since 12/1.
I am in the same boat. We've been waiting 78 days, I don't mind waiting a few more.
Waitlisted as well. Slightly surprised by it. Oh well. Should have probs applied earlier.
I applied MPH in CDE, was accepted last week, and received a 25,000 financial aid support or Mailman Scholar thing. NOT a merit scholarship lolol. For those who look at this thread next year, the financial survey IS likely indicative of an acceptance.
I'm right now deciding between Yale or Columbia for CDE. Yale seems that it does not give good packages, so it may be Columbia for me. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions? It seems that Yale is more competitive to get into and has smaller class sizes, but Columbia is ranked 5 and is offering me more money.
I'll offer my 2 cents: Yale's smaller class sizes is nice for getting more attention from the faculty, but the faculty # is smaller than Columbia. Columbia's large class sizes may be a plus if your field benefits from having a large network of alumni/contacts. Columbia may give you more money, but overall will most likely be more expensive due to living expenses in NYC. When it comes to rankings, Columbia having a high rank may be more of a result of it having more students than it being a "better" program.
From
wondering the same, looks like the latter because I think some people heard way earlier depending on when they submitted their appit seems some schools reply in batches whereas others just respond as they review each application; any clue what berkeley's system is?
I'll offer my 2 cents: Yale's smaller class sizes is nice for getting more attention from the faculty, but the faculty # is smaller than Columbia. Columbia's large class sizes may be a plus if your field benefits from having a large network of alumni/contacts. Columbia may give you more money, but overall will most likely be more expensive due to living expenses in NYC. When it comes to rankings, Columbia having a high rank may be more of a result of it having more students than it being a "better" program.
I was reading some old posts on Yale and despite the rankings, I think there will be no problem considering the name-which I think one can definitely get with both schools. The question is the program in each though, I hear Columbia has an excellent variety which sounds awesome, whereas Yale might not be as extensive but has the benefit of making closer connections. As far as networking goes, I'm wondering what are pros/cons of having small, close connections with faculty/your peers vs. having wide range of connections with faculty/peers.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted716416
Yes, the if you click on the link in your email again, it brings you back to an empty application.I received mine on Feb. 3 but I know other people received theirs earlier.
Related to that, for those who filled out the survey, when you click on the survey link, does it bring you back to the empty application form (as opposed to bringing you to a page that says you have already completed the survey)? I'm second-guessing whether mine actually got submitted because I haven't heard anything about financial aid yet...
Not yet. Will call if nothing appears in the next week.For those of you accepted to Columbia last Thursday, have you received your OrgSync login information yet?
D
deleted716416
Unlike the rest, I didn't receive it by post, but by email about a week after the acceptance email. Perhaps because I'm an international applicant.Have people found that a decision about a merit award came soon after getting accepted?
I was curious whether or not class size had any impact on the US News and Review ranking that come out every few years. The rankings are based on a survey of academics at peer institutions so it makes sense that more alumni = more people familiar with the program = better rankings. I took the ASPPH enrollment data from 2013 and the 2015 USN rankings and did a trend-line of the two factors.
Johns Hopkins really blows every other school out of the water when it comes to enrollment and are #1 in rankings. If you want to attend a prestigious school and have a little more breathing room, UNC and Michigan have roughly half the student headcount and just as good of a ranking. Halve the student population one more time and you've got UCLA and UC Berkeley who are in the top 10.
Hope you enjoy!
Johns Hopkins really blows every other school out of the water when it comes to enrollment and are #1 in rankings. If you want to attend a prestigious school and have a little more breathing room, UNC and Michigan have roughly half the student headcount and just as good of a ranking. Halve the student population one more time and you've got UCLA and UC Berkeley who are in the top 10.
Hope you enjoy!
Attachments
D
deleted716416
I was curious whether or not class size had any impact on the US News and Review ranking that come out every few years. The rankings are based on a survey of academics at peer institutions so it makes sense that more alumni = more people familiar with the program = better rankings. I took the ASPPH enrollment data from 2013 and the 2015 USN rankings and did a trend-line of the two factors.
Johns Hopkins really blows every other school out of the water when it comes to enrollment and are #1 in rankings. If you want to attend a prestigious school and have a little more breathing room, UNC and Michigan have roughly half the student headcount and just as good of a ranking. Halve the student population one more time and you've got UCLA and UC Berkeley who are in the top 10.
Hope you enjoy!
I like the way you think @montreux ! This is very cool 🙂
I like the way you think @montreux ! This is very cool 🙂
Thank you! This is one of my "productive procrastination" projects that keeps me busy while waiting for the remaining 4 decisions.

Accepted at UC-Berkeley MPH for Health and Social Behavior! Definitely one of my top choices so here's to hoping for an aid package of some sort. I'm happy to have options, but deciding is almost as difficult as the waiting over the past few months has been!
I know I did not get the survey either and I emailed the Fin Aid office and they said I should expect in a few days. Maybe try emailing them if you don't get it in a few days?Quick question now that we're on the subject of financial aid from Columbia:
Does anyone remember where the link for the financial survey is--maybe a specific email where people remember receiving it? I tried back combing in my emails and can't seem to find it. I definitely remember not filling any financial survey out though so I'm trying to go back and cover all my bases.
i got an email from graduate admissions asking me to create an account to see my updated admission status. it was so much work, but that's how i saw my admission letter. later in the day, the department sent me a another email congratulating me. i think it's usually the other way around, but that's what happened in my case. this was for the school of public health nutrition. and i submitted my application the day it was due.it seems some schools reply in batches whereas others just respond as they review each application; any clue what berkeley's system is?
I was curious whether or not class size had any impact on the US News and Review ranking that come out every few years. The rankings are based on a survey of academics at peer institutions so it makes sense that more alumni = more people familiar with the program = better rankings. I took the ASPPH enrollment data from 2013 and the 2015 USN rankings and did a trend-line of the two factors.
Johns Hopkins really blows every other school out of the water when it comes to enrollment and are #1 in rankings. If you want to attend a prestigious school and have a little more breathing room, UNC and Michigan have roughly half the student headcount and just as good of a ranking. Halve the student population one more time and you've got UCLA and UC Berkeley who are in the top 10.
Hope you enjoy!
According the the scatterplot, it looks like UCB and UCLA have around 200 students in their respective programs. It's probably grown a bit over the last couple years, but still, it's a lot smaller than I imagined. My chemistry lecture in 2009 had more than twice as many students enrolled in it 😱 (I went to a UC for college).
Me too! What other programs are you considering?
I was also accepted a week ago! Very confused about picking a school :O
CONGRTSS! I submitted late January!Just accepted into NYU MPH for SBS with a $24,000 award that they refer to as the NYU MPH Scholarship. I know some on the thread have been curious as to when NYU's decisions will be sent out. Was told in December that they had a late start this year because of some re-training of staff. Anyway, I had submitted very early (September). So, just guessing that decisions have recently started going out. Best of luck to all.
Thank you for your response!Thank you! I submitted my application Dec 5th, but my last rec letter wasn't submitted until Jan 1st. It was submitted to the department for review on Jan. 7th. Good luck!!
Congratulations! That is the one I am waiting on. Fingers crossed! May I ask when you submitted your application/when it went for review?Admitted to Johns Hopkins MSPH in International Health / Social and Behavioral Interventions! (2/12 @ ~10AM)
😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The struggle is definitely real! You have some great options though so I'm sure wherever you decide to go, you'll love it!I feel the same way about UW! Now that I've heard back from 2 of 3, I feel like I'm even more impatient for that last decision. 😉
Of Columbia and Berkeley, definitely Berkeley! If I get into UW, though, it's going to be a tough call...
D
deleted716416
It is toward the MPH in general and will be disbursed equally over the two years.For those that received a scholarship from Columbia, does it specify if its per year, or just toward your overall mph?
Me too! What other programs are you considering?
I wake up everyday and change my mind haha. Right now I think my top three are Emory, Hopkins, and Columbia. For me, having a little flexibility in the curriculum is important because I haven't been in public health for very long and want some room to explore different subjects and research projects. I'm definitely planning on attending the visit days for these schools to get a better feel for the programs. I feel a little bit silly sometimes about considering turning down Hopkins because it's a great name to have on a resume, but I'm not sure the fit is right.
What about you??
I wake up everyday and change my mind haha. Right now I think my top three are Emory, Hopkins, and Columbia. For me, having a little flexibility in the curriculum is important because I haven't been in public health for very long and want some room to explore different subjects and research projects. I'm definitely planning on attending the visit days for these schools to get a better feel for the programs. I feel a little bit silly sometimes about considering turning down Hopkins because it's a great name to have on a resume, but I'm not sure the fit is right.
What about you??
Haha considering the same three. Probably Emory and Hopkins. I really like the curriculum at Hopkins and it aligns with what I want to do, but I'm wondering which degree is more marketable for jobs (Emory MPH in GLEPI or MSPH in International Health)
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 9K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 103
- Views
- 37K