MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Medceptiom applied health policy though. I'm worried they only emailed acceptances for xmas, but didn't email rejections to not ruin others :( (I applied health policy and was verified a week before medception)

Edit: never mind, medception was verified 10/21. I was verified 11/7

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm sure (and hope) that you'll find out soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Undergrad School: William Paterson University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.42/3.71
Major/Minor: B.S. Public Health
GRE Q-147, V-144, AW 4.0 (Horrible, I know):(
Experience/Research
  • 6 months health research assistant regarding health disparities
  • 5 months internship at non-profit environmental organization
  • Summer internship for county health department in environmental division
  • Public health related capstone research project with poster presentation regarding opioid abuse
Interested in: Environmental Health Science
Applied: Drexel University, University of South Carolina, University at Buffalo, University at Albany, East Tennessee State University, New York Medical College. Maybe UMass, Maybe Rutgers
Accepted: New York Medical College (12/15), University at Buffalo (1/20), University at Albany (1/27)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: UC San Diego
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2 but 3.6 sophas (graduated in 3 years but first two years I was premed)
Major/Minor: Third World Studies working on a Biostatistics certificate
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V:154 Q:162 AW:4
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • 2 quarters (UCSD is quarter system) at Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation as a development intern
  • 2 years leading church homeless outreach team
  • 1 year volunteer at a hospital outpatient unit
  • 1 year as the marketing officer for campus org called Siblings without Borders
  • 1.5 years as an international ministries intern organizing free clinics and fundraisers all over East Asia
  • 1.5 years as the programs manager of an education startup in China
  • currently working at a maternal and child health research study as a research data assistant

Interested in: Global Maternal and Child Health, minority health, and refugee health
Applied: will apply to SDSU- epi
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

any thoughts on my chances?

Last edited:
Undergraduate: Top 20
SOPHAS GPA: 2.6 (lower then univ gpa :(
Major: Bio
GRE: v150 q144 aw pend
Experience: 5 years community service/teaching in underrepresented areas, 3 years research +leadership, counsel 2 years
Addendum: financial issues which is why gpa low, had to work
3 good letters

Applied: Harvard, yale, brown, GW, drexel, upenn, BU, NYU, tufts, emory
Rejected: temple (due to cut off)

Please let me know if there is any chance? Or have success stories with similar stats. Are MPH programs really holistic?

You applied to some of the most competitive public health programs out there. I too applied to Harvard, Brown, and Tufts, and I think all are looking for students with GPAs >3.0 and GREs >300. I'll let others comment on your chances of getting into the other schools. I don't want to extinguish all your hope because, as you'll see if you scroll through this forum more, there ARE success stories, but I really think you should consider applying to some true safety schools if an MPH is what you truly want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
You applied to some of the most competitive public health programs out there. I too applied to Harvard, Brown, and Tufts, and I think all are looking for students with GPAs >3.0 and GREs >300. I'll let others comment on your chances of getting into the other schools. I don't want to extinguish all your hope because, as you'll see if you scroll through this forum more, there ARE success stories, but I really think you should consider applying to some true safety schools if an MPH is what you truly want to do.

I would say that if you have work experience, it counts for a lot in this process. I know someone with a 2.7 who was accepted to the full-time Hopkins MPH (his GRE scores and work exp. were stellar, however).

Undergrad School: William Paterson University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.42/3.71
Major/Minor: B.S. Public Health
GRE Q-147, V-144, AW 4.0 (Horrible, I know):(
Experience/Research
  • 6 months health research assistant regarding health disparities
  • 5 months internship at non-profit environmental organization
  • Summer internship for county health department in environmental division
  • Public health related capstone research project with poster presentation regarding opioid abuse
Interested in: Environmental Health Science
Applied: Drexel University, University of South Carolina, University at Buffalo, University at Albany, East Tennessee State University, New York Medical College. Maybe UMass, Maybe Rutgers
Accepted: New York Medical College (12/15)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm worried about my extremely low GRE scores, I'm not the best test taker. I have four strong letters of recommendation though, so maybe that will help? I would appreciate feedback on my chances of getting into the schools I have applied to. Thanks in advance!

I think you picked some realistic schools given your GPA & GRE. It's great that you're a public health major and have some relevant experience. Did you do well in public health and statistics courses? If so, that may help balance out your mediocre GRE. I don't think you'll get in everywhere you applied, but I think you'll have plenty of options to choose from in the spring.

I would say that if you have work experience, it counts for a lot in this process. I know someone with a 2.7 who was accepted to the full-time Hopkins MPH (his GRE scores and work exp. were stellar, however).

Oh def. MPH admissions are holistic, but I think that just means they'll overlook one weak area to focus on someone's overall story. From what I can see in this person's case, both the GRE and GPA aren't fantastic, and the work experience may not be directly related.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you picked some realistic schools given your GPA & GRE. It's great that you're a public health major and have some relevant experience. Did you do well in public health and statistics courses? If so, that may help balance out your mediocre GRE. I don't think you'll get in everywhere you applied, but I think you'll have plenty of options to choose from in the spring.

I did do well in all of my major classes for public health. On sophas I have a 3.77 for my GPA in my public health courses. And yes, I have a statistics course and math up to precalculus. I got B's in all of my math classes. Thank you for the response!

Oh def. MPH admissions are holistic, but I think that just means they'll overlook one weak area to focus on someone's overall story. From what I can see in this person's case, both the GRE and GPA aren't fantastic, and the work experience may not be directly related.

Agreed.

Did anyone receive a phone interview from Columbia over the last couple of days?

Members don't see this ad :)
Medception...Columbia HPM was in touch about an informal phone interview yesterday.

UPenn was in touch today to schedule interview as well.

Nice! Yea I was asking because I received one. I didn't apply to Penn because of the limited scope of their concentrations. May apply to Wharton after my MPH though

I hope the fact that I'm applying for the 1 year track as an MD is the reason why I'm not getting the same movement on Columbia, Michigan, Yale health policy.... :scared: Maybe I'm in a different pool or something? I applied early and have good stats. :/

I hope the fact that I'm applying for the 1 year track as an MD is the reason why I'm not getting the same movement on Columbia, Michigan, Yale health policy.... :scared: Maybe I'm in a different pool or something? I applied early and have good stats. :/

Yeah, I wouldn't worry if I were you. I'm sure you'll get into a few of your top choices.

Thanks for your input! Did you get into any schools yet?

I spoke with a few people at admissions, from what they say im not totally ruled out yet. But my gut says otherwise :/

What schools do you think would be safer?
ks for

My work/volunteer experience is all health related. I was originally premed but that didnt work out well, obviously

Just got accepted into UPenn!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Just got the OPUS financial aid email for Emory but never received the OPUS log in to fill it out? I'm really confused.

Just got the OPUS financial aid email for Emory but never received the OPUS log in to fill it out? I'm really confused.

Click on the blue "OPUS" link in the email and you can enter your birth date and/or SSN to obtain your network ID and password.

I have been silently stalking this site since I applied to UMICH SPH in November. I'm happy to say I just got my acceptance into the hospital and molecular epid program, and I felt it was only right I let everyone know admissions decisions from Michigan are on their way!

Happy holidays =)

Reactions: 8 users
When were you verified on SOPHAS and when did you interview, if at all?

I think I was verified mid octoberish? Application went under review first week of November. Then got my interview first week of december! Had my interview this past monday 12/19 and heard back yesterday morning!

I think I was verified mid octoberish? Application went under review first week of November. Then got my interview first week of december! Had my interview this past monday 12/19 and heard back yesterday morning!

Thanks for the timeline! Any tips for the interview?

Just got accepted into University of Michigan's Global Epidemiology program! Submitted on the 12/15 deadline exactly so wasn't expecting a notification so soon. Very pleasant surprise to say the least and since it was my top choice, I won't even bother submitting my applications to the other schools I was considering :)

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for the timeline! Any tips for the interview?

Interview is super relaxed. It was a benefit for me since I know the people who interviewed me since I visited Penn quite a few times this fall. They're super nice and just ask you the basic questions of why MPH. Just be yourself and give honest answers! Don't overthink and definitely don't "prepare" like you think you should. Good luck!

Interview is super relaxed. It was a benefit for me since I know the people who interviewed me since I visited Penn quite a few times this fall. They're super nice and just ask you the basic questions of why MPH. Just be yourself and give honest answers! Don't overthink and definitely don't "prepare" like you think you should. Good luck!

What track did you apply for? I never had to interview, and I'm also from FL.

Undergrad School: University of Oklahoma
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.46/3.52
Major/Minor: Health and Exercise Science
GRE (including date taken): 11/14/16: 151 Q, 155 V, 4.0 AW
- Participated in two different humanitarian trips to Nicaragua and Haiti
- Participated in research study with HES faculty
- WORK experience: 2 years as a Client Services Coordinator at a veterinarian hospital

LOR: Professor, Faculty Member, Veterinarian that I work with
Special Factor: I'm a first generation college student who will graduate with zero debt!

Interested in: Global Health, Epidemiology, Environmental Health

Applied: University of Oklahoma, UT - Dallas Campus, Colorado, Emory
Accepted: UT - Dallas Campus
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

Have any EH people gotten a decision from Michigan?

Thanks! Health Policy Analysis.

I most likely won't be attending, so hopefully it opens up a spot for someone

Oh awesome! Well at least they gave you some money, that's great! Best of luck in deciding!

GPA: 3.168
*Really rocky freshman year, but I've had an upward trend since
Freshman year: 2.432
Since then: 3.761
GRE: Q: 162, V: 152, W: 3.5

I want to concentrate in either Epidemiology or Biostatistics. I'm looking to apply to BU, Columbia, NYU, Yale, Brown, GWU, and Emory. I will probably also add Drexel and Tulane.

Do you think that I should retake the GRE? I'm nervous that a 3.5 in writing and a 152 in verbal are really low. Also, thoughts on my low GPA? Should I apply to more safety schools?

You're GRE scores are good! Just make sure to apply ASAP.

How long was everyone's personal statement?
All of mine were about a page single-spaced with the exception of my Emory and Drexel statements since they explicitly said they could be longer.

GPA: 3.168
*Really rocky freshman year, but I've had an upward trend since
Freshman year: 2.432
Since then: 3.761
GRE: Q: 162, V: 152, W: 3.5

I want to concentrate in either Epidemiology or Biostatistics. I'm looking to apply to BU, Columbia, NYU, Yale, Brown, GWU, and Emory. I will probably also add Drexel and Tulane.

Do you think that I should retake the GRE? I'm nervous that a 3.5 in writing and a 152 in verbal are really low. Also, thoughts on my low GPA? Should I apply to more safety schools?

Mine is much lower than yours and I got into Minnesota and BU. You will be totally fine.

I've been lurking for a while. Time to finally post my stats.

Undergrad School:
Top 5 Public University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.47; 3.5 SOPHAS/ 3.7 Bio.
Major/Minor: Biology (B.S. w/ Honors) / Chemistry & Computer Science
GRE: 161 V, 164 Q, 4.5 W
Plant genetics research in undergrad (honors thesis)

Research fellowship at the NIH studying human genetics of mood disorders
-Started my own independent research project

A lot of experience volunteering with youth and science advocacy

Co-founded a business in undergrad

Interested in: Biostats, Epi, Management, Policy
Applied: Harvard(Management-65), Hopkins, U Mich(Biostats), Columbia(HPM), Berkeley(Biostats-Epi)
Accepted: U Mich (1/20), Hopkins (1/27), Columbia (02/08), UC Berkeley (02/09), Harvard (02/16)

My biggest concern is my GPA. I feel like it isn't phenomenal, but I did receive a B.S. with an Honors degree, and double minored at a pretty competitive school and in sciences.
I have 4 recs, one from my current PI who has an MD from Hopkins, my current mentor in lab, my previous post-doc, and my previous PI who was also a professor for my Human Genetics class. My previous post-doc's and PI's letters of reference got me into the competitive program at the NIH, so I feel like they will be good. My work in lab will definitely shine through my PI's letter, and I know my mentor's letter is phenomenal.

Since programs are typically holistic, I feel like I have a good application. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I've been lurking for a while. Time to finally post my stats.

Undergrad School:
Top 5 Public University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.47 & 3.5 SOPHAS Overall. I haven't actually calculated my Bio GPA
Major/Minor: Biology (B.S. w/ Honors) / Chemistry & Computer Science
GRE: 161 V, 164 Q, 4.5 W
Plant genetics research in undergrad (honors thesis)

Research fellowship at the NIH studying human genetics of mood disorders
-Started my own independent research project

A lot of experience volunteering with youth and science advocacy

Co-founded a business in undergrad

Interested in: Biostats, Epi, Management, Policy
Applied: Harvard(Management-65), Hopkins, U Mich(Biostats), Columbia(HPM), Berkeley(Biostats-Epi)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

My biggest concern is my GPA. I feel like it isn't phenomenal, but I did receive a B.S. with and Honors degree, and double minored at a pretty competitive school and in sciences.
I have 4 recs, one from my current PI who has an MD from Hopkins, my current mentor in lab, my previous post-doc, and my previous PI who was also a professor for my Human Genetics class. My previous post-doc's and PI's letters of reference got me into the competitive program at the NIH, so I feel like they will be good. My work in lab will definitely shine through my PI's letter, and I know my mentor's letter is phenomenal.

Since programs are typically holistic, I feel like I have a good application. Thoughts?
Your overall app is competitive, but your applying to the most competitive schools too. Your GRE should give you a good chance at all of them, but your GPA will be a knee-cap for Harvard, but you already knew that. I'd add maybe 1 or two safeties that you could see yourself at. Safeties = NYU, GWU, Boston, Tulane, NYMC. Throw in Emory or UCLA too. Total list would be 5-7 schools. Mainly because your in that gray zone between upper tier and mid tier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here, it's tortuous. I see you got in Minnesota too, are you considering going there?
I'm thinking about it! More interested in BU right now, but depends on how much financial aid I get :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm thinking about it! More interested in BU right now, but depends on how much financial aid I get :)
I'm probably going to Minnesota! The program has exactly what I'm looking for. Boston isn't reasonable for living. I don't think I could afford it.

How long was everyone's personal statement?

As long as I was allowed. The longest was 2000 words (3 pages single spaced). Several just over 1500 words and then abbreviated versions for Harvard and Columbia.