MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got into Harvard and Brown. Officially accepted to all 11 schools I applied to! Now for decision time!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Congrats!!!!!! When did you submit/when we're you marked complete? Also, what hanged on your account?

I submitted in mid-November, app was marked complete on 11/28. Not sure what you mean by second question...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got into Harvard and Brown. Officially accepted to all 11 schools I applied to! Now for decision time!
Ahhh congrats! What great choices to have! Sorry to be this anxious person, but: what dept/program at Brown, and how did you hear? I am REALLY looking forward to their decision.

I think I can *probably* rule out Michigan giving me a dean's award - Do I go with Michigan, which is 17K more expensive than what BU will cost me? I feel like the former is a better fit. But from what I've heard, AA is cheaper than Boston ( Never been to AA, only Boston - paid around 1100 per month for housing)

If you think something is a better fit, I'd recommend going with it. Personally I've found it's always best to go with your gut on something like this

Reactions: 1 user
Disappointing aid package from Yale. I don't know that I can consider it seriously, given the price tag. It really is surprisingly expensive compared to other programs.

Got accepted to Tulane, BU, and Emory. I have a merit based and need based scholarships for BU. I don't have my financial info from Emory as of yet? But, Emory seems cheaper compared to BU. However, they're all expensive. Has anyone heard from UCB SPH or UCD MPH yet?

P.S. I'm from CA.

Disappointing aid package from Yale. I don't know that I can consider it seriously, given the price tag. It really is surprisingly expensive compared to other programs.

Congrats on all your acceptances! When did you get accepted to UC Berkeley? Is it for the MPH program? If so, how is the financial aid package?

I got my acceptance from Berkeley on 2/9 for the MPH in HSB and have not yet received an aid package from them. I'm not too hopeful, given what I hear about UC system funding issues. Maybe they'll be inclined to be generous in order to lure me from the East Coast...fingers crossed.

Got accepted to Tulane, BU, and Emory. I have a merit based and need based scholarships for BU. I don't have my financial info from Emory as of yet? But, Emory seems cheaper compared to BU. However, they're all expensive. Has anyone heard from UCB SPH or UCD MPH yet?

P.S. I'm from CA.

I heard back from UCB SPH on 1/14 after submitting the app like the night before the deadline. I applied for the Infectious Diseases MPH. As for UCD, I heard back on on 2/2. Unfortunately, haven't heard back about financial aid from either schools. Whereas, when UCI accepted me, they also informed me of a small scholarship too.

I got my acceptance from Berkeley on 2/9 for the MPH in HSB and have not yet received an aid package from them. I'm not too hopeful, given what I hear about UC system funding issues. Maybe they'll be inclined to be generous in order to lure me from the East Coast...fingers crossed.
Hopefully they'll be generous. When did you submit your application?

Aside from submitting the FAFSA application and including the school codes for which we are considering MPH programs for, is there anything else that we need to do? I know the FAFSA deadline is March 2nd. I just want to make sure that I am not forgetting about any other supplemental applications. I got accepted to UCLA and UC Berkeley and have not heard about any financial aid information from either school. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

PS- I am asking because I have seen people speak about submitting additional stuff at Yale. Im just paranoid! :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Aside from submitting the FAFSA application and including the school codes for which we are considering MPH programs for, is there anything else that we need to do? I know the FAFSA deadline is March 2nd. I just want to make sure that I am not forgetting about any other supplemental applications. I got accepted to UCLA and UC Berkeley and have not heard about any financial aid information from either school. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

PS- I am asking because I have seen people speak about submitting additional stuff at Yale. Im just paranoid! :/

Did exactly the same thing as you. Have not been informed about financial aid from UCB, UCD, and UCI (except for the scholarship).

Did exactly the same thing as you. Have not been informed about financial aid from UCB, UCD, and UCI (except for the scholarship).
What scholarship? All I have received is an offer for a $200 travel grant to attend the UC Berkeley decision day. But nothing about grants, scholarships. Just general emails with info about potential TA and GSR positions (stuff that you can find on their website.) Not any specific apps or links. :(

I know Harvard & Tufts have supplemental applications, but to the best of my knowledge none of the other schools to which I applied do. I have not heard anything about financial aid from any of them, only scholarships/fellowships that came with admittance. Idk if you were just asking about UCLA & Berkeley or if you meant in general. If I'm wrong-- meaning, if UMN, Pitt, Brown, Buffalo, Drexel, and/or Colorado have separate fin aid applications-- someone please tell me!

P.S. I'm from CA.

Hopefully they'll be generous. When did you submit your application?

Late November, I believe. It was before the 12/1 priority deadline.

What scholarship? All I have received is an offer for a $200 travel grant to attend the UC Berkeley decision day. But nothing about grants, scholarships. Just general emails with info about potential TA and GSR positions (stuff that you can find on their website.) Not any specific apps or links. :(

The scholarship came from UCI when they accepted me and was stated explicitly in the acceptance letter. I have not been offered a travel grant to attend UCB's Open House, but since I'm in SoCal, I'm not expecting them to do it either.

I heard back from UCB SPH on 1/14 after submitting the app like the night before the deadline. I applied for the Infectious Diseases MPH. As for UCD, I heard back on on 2/2. Unfortunately, haven't heard back about financial aid from either schools. Whereas, when UCI accepted me, they also informed me of a small scholarship too.
That was quick, Congrats!

In at University of Arizona for Health Policy and Management!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anybody heard back from Columbia this week?

Jumping on this post! Still waiting unfortunately :( However, I applied after the priority deadline but before the actual deadline...is this perhaps the reason why we still have not heard back? When they emailed me to let me know that my application was complete and sent to the department, they told me that I would hear back during the first or second week of February. Since it's already near the end of the month, I'm wondering if maybe I should just email them to ask.

I've been nominated for the Graduate Opportunity Fellowship Program at Berkeley, but I can't find details about it. I assume it's the same as the one the MSW program and UCLA but having a hard time finding specifics. Anyone know? (If the law school is equally generous, then this is my answer to the "Why Berkeley" questions from previous posters :) )

Reactions: 4 users
LOL I got an email notifying me of a financial aid package from Yale, just for them to tell me that I received $0 in aid.

They actually listed it out in a thoughtful column for me:

"Scholarships: $0
Need-Based Aid $0
Other funding sources: $0
TOTAL: $0"

I really appreciate the time they took to let me know of all the funding opportunities they decided not to grant me (sarcasm).

P.S.: I'm not someone who gives up that easily :). You bet I emailed an appeal and spoke my mind after receiving what I consider to be a pretty insensitive email!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
People who have heard from Harvard over the last two weeks - when did you submit your application?

For those of you received financial aid from Yale, Congrats!! Do you guys received merit-based scholarships or need-based?? Will Yale send out more merit scholarships in the upcoming days?

For those of you received financial aid from Yale, Congrats!! Do you guys received merit-based scholarships or need-based?? Will Yale send out more merit scholarships in the upcoming days?

I received a need-based grant. Unfortunately, due to Yale's small class size, I don't think they have too many merit scholarships to give out (congrats to those who were awarded them!). I would email the financial aid director to make sure, though.

I received a need-based grant. Unfortunately, due to Yale's small class size, I don't think they have too many merit scholarships to give out (congrats to those who were awarded them!). I would email the financial aid director to make sure, though.
Thanks!! Congrats!!

Questions:

1. Anyone who is deciding between Harvard and Columbia, I'd love to hear!
2. Is the FAFSA aid based on yours or your parents income, etc? I can't personally afford these schools but I've heard you had to include parents info?

How did you apply for those funds to attend decision day? I could really use that!

I received need-based only. I have heard that Yale is pretty stingy with aid, and that there are only a handful of merit scholarships.

P.S.: I'm not someone who gives up that easily :). You bet I emailed an appeal and spoke my mind after receiving what I consider to be a pretty insensitive email!

keep us posted on your appeal! i'm considering sending them a strongly worded email myself

Questions:

2. Is the FAFSA aid based on yours or your parents income, etc? I can't personally afford these schools but I've heard you had to include parents info?

In regards to 2. I did not include parents' info in my FAFSA and have not yet been asked to do so. That said, I have not yet received financial aid packages from Columbia or Harvard. This doesn't surprise me as it was only a couple weeks ago that I got into Columbia and just today that I got into Harvard.

keep us posted on your appeal! i'm considering sending them a strongly worded email myself

Do it! I take it you got a similar email? The worst that can happen is that they ignore us. I felt much better after I articulated my thoughts (and frustrations) to them.

Some other highlights of that "financial aid package":

1. "Renewing Your Grant Your YSPH Need-Based Grant is awarded for 2017-2018...."
How exactly does one renew a grant they were not given? o_O

2. After telling me that I can take out roughly 45K in loans each year, that my "Out of Pocket tuition & Fees: $0" !!!!
Oh honey...I'm not that stupid. Loans are very much coming "from my pocket." In fact, as interest rates accrue on those loans I'll wind up owing a lot more than just 90K!

Reactions: 3 users
Ahhh congrats! What great choices to have! Sorry to be this anxious person, but: what dept/program at Brown, and how did you hear? I am REALLY looking forward to their decision.

I applied to the MPH in Epi and heard back via email :).

Spoke with Columbia again about financial packages. Here's what they told me:

"Our merit award recipients have been notified. We are still evaluating our need-based and institutional awards. Financial aid letters will go out in two to three weeks. "

Reactions: 4 users
this might be a dumb question, but does more aid become available as people continue to decline offers? ex: i declined BU and they offered me $15k, will that money be offered to someone else?

I got both merit and need aid, and an email stating that all merit is renewable, and all need aid will likely be the same if your need doesn't change next year. Basically I got a total of $47k over the two years, which is the most generous of any school I've gotten so far. I wouldn't get too worried yet, but it wouldn't hurt to email and ask when you could expect your aid letter.

So far, I've found them to be extremely polite and helpful through email, and when I asked about aid a while back, they were able to give me a general timeline.

Reactions: 1 users
Questions:

I think this depends on if your parents support you financially for grad school or not. My EFC was high enough that I didn't qualify for need aid as an undergrad, but they paid for college. For grad school, I'm on my own, so I didn't include their info because they aren't paying. No school has asked for their info, and if they did, I would respectfully decline because I'm the one financing my grad school tuition.

this might be a dumb question, but does more aid become available as people continue to decline offers? ex: i declined BU and they offered me $15k, will that money be offered to someone else?

So I got into BU about 2 years ago and also got $15k in merit scholarships. I was able to get about $3k more after I emailed them and asked for more after the decision deadline. I'm assuming they were able to give more aid because people had declined (or that's what the email seemed to imply). Obviously 3k isn't a lot, but it was something! I ended up pulling out of the program before the semester started because I got a job offer I couldn't turn down...so I'm hoping that money went to other students.

Congratulations but OMG why won't they tell me?!

Did you get any financial info with your admission letter?

I'm sorry! I know the wait is hard! I do not have financial aid information from them yet, but hopefully soon...!

Accepted to Brown Epi MPH with some sort of partial tuition scholarship. Am supposed to get more information from my department soon.

Officially accepted to all 10 schools I applied to. I can't believe it!

Reactions: 7 users
if you're still waiting to hear back, brown told me that they will hopefully be releasing decisions mid march.

that's so late! *dramatic flailing*

It looks like epi folks are slowly hearing, though, so maybe BSS is next!