MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone looked into the ScM in Global Health at Brown University? It's a new program but I don't know much about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone looked into the ScM in Global Health at Brown University? It's a new program but I don't know much about it.

Building on this, does anyone have any insight intro Brown's programs in general, especially epidemiology and biostats? How strong are they in preparing students on the more technical side of things (I know the school's strengths are generally on the sociobehavioral side of the spectrum and social justice).

Just accepted to NYU MPH in Biostatistics with scholarship!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gah, so nervous because I know none of the schools I applied to will release any decisions until January/February at least...time for the agonizing wait.

Reactions: 1 users
My last recommendation was sent to SOPHAS on 12/2, and everything has been submitted since the end of November, does anyone know how long it takes for SOPHAS to verify my application?

My last recommendation was sent to SOPHAS on 12/2, and everything has been submitted since the end of November, does anyone know how long it takes for SOPHAS to verify my application?

Mine was verified in less than 24 hours from when the second LOR was submitted. I had also paid for my application about 3 weeks before my second LOR was submitted (and when they start varifying your app). They also had my transcripts since beginning of October.

I'm super nervous, so any advice would be great!!

Undergrad School:
Large state school. I graduated this past May.
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.74 (i know, i know)
Major/Minor: Pyschology major, Spanish and Public Health double minor
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): I am taking the GRE on 11/21!
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
2 years of undergrad research at University's Drug and Health Studies center. (currently employed there post grad
2 years of mental health research (with poster presentation)
1 year of research lab work under Dr at University (freshman year)
1 semester TA for Health Psychology

Special factors:
Black female. One LOR from Vice-President of University. Bilingual

Interested in: GWU, Drexel, UPenn, Temple, NYU (all are Health Policy concentration)
Applied(include the date of application):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Can someone PLEASE tell me what my chances are? My GPA is a 2.74 so I am genuinely afraid I wont get in anywhere..

Speaking from personal experience...I had a similar GPA when I applied (2 years ago) and I had offers from Drexel and Temple (and a few other smaller schools sprinkled across the country). I ended up going to UMass. All that to say...don't count yourself out!

Reactions: 1 user
Are there schools that look at the GRE scores pretty closely? I know they look at the applications holistically but my GRE scores are pretty low (145 V, 148 Q). I'm very nervous and worried that I won't get into any of the schools that I applied to (UCLA, Emory University, Colorado School of Public Health, and Charles Drew University) and all of them are Health Policy and Management concentration. I have a pretty good GPA (3.341) and moderate experience in my undergrad, but nothing extraordinary. Any reassurance or tips will be great! I did retake the GRE but I did worse, and I don't plan on retaking it because I'm simply not a good testtaker.

Building on this, does anyone have any insight intro Brown's programs in general, especially epidemiology and biostats? How strong are they in preparing students on the more technical side of things (I know the school's strengths are generally on the sociobehavioral side of the spectrum and social justice).

I'm in the MPH program at Brown and know several people in the ScM and PhD tracks. While I would say Brown's strengths in terms of the topics researchers study are towards the sociobehavioral side of things, I would actually argue that their educational and teaching strengths are in epidemiology and biostatistics. Even the intro, not-for-concentrators courses in those subjects are very rigorous. For example, I will be able to submit my final project for my intro biostats course to journals when it is is complete. I will likely be in the generalist or social/behavioral sciences track (we declare late), but if I play my cards right, I will be able to take coursework in SPSS, R, and GIS; my biostats class now uses STATA and the one for people intending the biostats track uses R. Feel free to PM me for more info!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey @bds2017 and @JDGBruin1317--

You've both asked questions about how test scores and GPA are used in MPH admissions. I'd encourage you to look at the post linked in my signature for my more thorough take on this, but I thought I'd say something here too. GPA and GRE are indicative of an applicant's past academic performance and their ability to take standardized tests. MPH admissions tend not to be competitive and to value other predictors of student success like job/research experience and personal motivation and interest just as strongly as GRE/GPA. When people say MPH admissions are holistic, that's what they mean. It doesn't mean your GRE and GPA don't matter; some schools have pretty strict cut offs (usually 3.0 and 50th percentile). They are also more important to the more competitive schools (Harvard/JHU). If one is very low, it's usually better if the other is quite high to balance it out, and by high I mean >3.5 or >80th percentile. All this said, there's plenty of people who are admitted to strong programs with mid/low scores in both, likely based on the power of their personal statement or their work experience.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm in the MPH program at Brown and know several people in the ScM and PhD tracks. While I would say Brown's strengths in terms of the topics researchers study are towards the sociobehavioral side of things, I would actually argue that their educational and teaching strengths are in epidemiology and biostatistics. Even the intro, not-for-concentrators courses in those subjects are very rigorous. For example, I will be able to submit my final project for my intro biostats course to journals when it is is complete. I will likely be in the generalist or social/behavioral sciences track (we declare late), but if I play my cards right, I will be able to take coursework in SPSS, R, and GIS; my biostats class now uses STATA and the one for people intending the biostats track uses R. Feel free to PM me for more info!
Thanks for this information! Can you offer any insight into the new ScM Global Health program? Also, does the MPH require a practicum?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for this information! Can you offer any insight into the new ScM Global Health program? Also, does the MPH require a practicum?
Unfortunately I don't know very much about Global Health at all as I am entirely focused on US populations. I do know that the Global Health MPH track has been increasingly popular, so I would assume the ScM is based on the success of that program. My adviser (who works primarily on the US opioid epidemic) recently told me that there were so many students interested in Global Health that faculty were sort of scrambling to meet this need and broaden their own research interests into global work. I would still say the school's main focus is still on domestic concerns but there are some very popular, charismatic, and renowned professors doing global work-- namely, Dr. Lurie in South Africa and Dr. MacGarvey in Samoa. There are several other professors doing work in sub-Saharan Africa, SE Asian (mostly the Philippines), and South America, and I know of many students who have an interest in refugee health (so I assume there are faculty, or else they wouldn't have come here). That's about all I got, though. In general the ScM programs are pretty small, have strong advising, and people seem happy with them.

[ETA:] I just noticed the question about the practicum. Short answer is yes. Brown's program requires a 145 hour self-arranged public health internship done either spring of the first year or over the summer. Everyone also has to write a thesis, which can be either two publishable papers or a paper + lit review. The thesis can relate to the practicum or not.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't know very much about Global Health at all as I am entirely focused on US populations. I do know that the Global Health MPH track has been increasingly popular, so I would assume the ScM is based on the success of that program. My adviser (who works primarily on the US opioid epidemic) recently told me that there were so many students interested in Global Health that faculty were sort of scrambling to meet this need and broaden their own research interests into global work. I would still say the school's main focus is still on domestic concerns but there are some very popular, charismatic, and renowned professors doing global work-- namely, Dr. Lurie in South Africa and Dr. MacGarvey in Samoa. There are several other professors doing work in sub-Saharan Africa, SE Asian (mostly the Philippines), and South America, and I know of many students who have an interest in refugee health (so I assume there are faculty, or else they wouldn't have come here). That's about all I got, though. In general the ScM programs are pretty small, have strong advising, and people seem happy with them.
Do you have any idea about the average GPA or GRE of the students that got admitted in the ScM program?

I look into those professors. Thank you!

Do you have any idea about the average GPA or GRE of the students that got admitted in the ScM program?
Not a clue. I'd suggest emailing the program coordinator if you're very concerned about it.

Does anybody know when will Columbia release their admission decision (I submitted on 11.27)?
Last year, they announced the majority of acceptances around the same date for everyone who applied by their deadline. I received my acceptance in one of their first waves of acceptances on Feb. 8th. Unfortunately, unless something changed from last year, they do not roll out decisions as they accept people. They wait to release the majority all together around February.

Does anyone know the pros and cons of applying to emory for epidemiology vs global epidemiology (msph)?

Does anyone know anything about John Hopkin's second-year practicum? Apparently you're really only studying full-time during your first year, and then you have to do 9-month minimum FTE with an organization your second year?

Does anyone have any intel regarding Emory's decision timeline? I just got an email saying my application was received and is complete and has been forwarded to my top department (Epi). The email said I should receive a decision in 3-6 weeks; does anyone know how the long the typical wait is? There was, of course, the standard "could be longer or shorter than this time," and I'm just trying to soothe my nerves :)

Reactions: 4 users
I submitted by application to USC/UCLA/Berkeley/Columbia/Harvard on 11/22, but my Professional Transcript Entry was not completed until 12/1. My transcripts and LORs have been into SOPHAS for months. Any idea how long until the schools receive my applications? starting to freak out.

I submitted by application to USC/UCLA/Berkeley/Columbia/Harvard on 11/22, but my Professional Transcript Entry was not completed until 12/1. My transcripts and LORs have been into SOPHAS for months. Any idea how long until the schools receive my applications? starting to freak out.
They can view your applications before they are officially verified. From what I've heard, as long as you've submitted prior to the preferred deadline (which you have), you should be fine. Mine were verified on 11/30, so very close to yours.

Undergrad School: Large state university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.22 (strong upward trend)
Major/Minor: Advertising / Psychology & Gender Studies
GRE: Taken 12/2/17 - (Unofficial) Q: 164 V: 165 W: --

Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years full-time, post-grad experience running studies and analyzing data for a small firm specializing in healthcare market research, mostly in the form of patient experience surveys and focus groups. Clients include providers, insurers, health systems, Medicare Advantage plans, medical supply companies, non-profits -- pretty much every player in the healthcare ecosystem.

LOR: President/founder of the healthcare research firm I work for, English professor I had for several courses who nominated me for a writing award I won in undergrad, advertising professor whom I worked closely with.

Interested in: Epidemiology, social determinants of health, health disparities, LGBTQ health

Applied: Emory MPH
(Epidemiology), Vanderbilt MPH (Health Policy -- verified 11/18); University of Louisville MPH (Epidemiology), University of Tennessee, Tennessee State University
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. I planned to apply mostly to in-state schools (+ other schools offering in-state tuition to TN residents) because I assumed my low GPA and unrelated major would dash any chances of funding, but I took the GRE today and feel pretty good about my scores. Does anyone know of any programs that tend to look particularly fondly upon good GRE scores re: scholarships or assistantships?

From my experience, most programs would consider good GRE scores and an upward trend in GPA favorably. If you want to try applying for out of state programs, I don’t think your scores would hold you back!

Does anyone know why the NYU MPH in Biostats is only available as an on-campus/online hybrid? I know certain modules are always online (ex: ethics certificate), but I can't find anything on their website as to why this is indicated like this on SOPHAS or how much of it will be online? I don't want to pay that price tag for a mostly online degree.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on Tulane in terms of their Epidemiology or Biostats programs? I know they are well known for tropical medicine which isn't the field I'm interested in at all, so wondering if people know about their reputation and program quality outside of that area?

Just a heads up to always check your spam email as well! George Washington University acceptance email was in there!

Reactions: 6 users
I was reading a thread from 2016 and saw that some people contacted faculty to request an interview/discussion (this person stated they did it with UW). Anyone have thoughts on this or experience with it?

Has anyone who applied to SDSU or UMich for health policy and management heard back yet?

Brown is a great school for those interested in global health, and has always had a great reputation in this field. Emma Watson went there (undergad?) so that must mean it's the real Hogwartz!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How many of you reached out to faculty prior to/during/after submitting apps? Before deciding on an MPH, I was dead set on PhD in psych, so I was always accustomed to thinking you had to reach out to faculty to discuss the research. I haven't seen much discussion about that on here.

For anyone who has applied to GW, did you get an email from them specifically saying that your application was received/under review?

For anyone who has applied to GW, did you get an email from them specifically saying that your application was received/under review?
Nope! I'm glad I am not the only one though. I was getting major anxiety over it.

I received an email. They told me it would take an average of 4 weeks to review it, but I heard back in 2 weeks.

I received a confirmation email about 2 days after my app was verified.

I received an email. They told me it would take an average of 4 weeks to review it, but I heard back in 2 weeks.
What program did you apply to? Now I am worried again lol

I received a confirmation email about 2 days after my app was verified.
What program did you apply to? I submitted my app last week and the application has been verified since then and I still haven't heard anything.

I got an email saying my app was complete/forwarded to the department and giving an estimated 4-week turnaround time. I applied before the busy season though! They might just be running a bit behind.

Any john hopkins admitted student?

Yes, I've received an acceptance from JHU. But like Cassatrass said, it is for the 1 year schoolwide program. It'll probably be Jan/Feb until other programs hear back I think!

What program did you apply to? I submitted my app last week and the application has been verified since then and I still haven't heard anything.

Global Health. I did apply in early November though. If you're really worried about it I don't think it would hurt to shoot admissions an email.

How many of you reached out to faculty prior to/during/after submitting apps? Before deciding on an MPH, I was dead set on PhD in psych, so I was always accustomed to thinking you had to reach out to faculty to discuss the research. I haven't seen much discussion about that on here.
I emailed a few of the professors that I am interested in working with and that I listed in my SOP as potential faculty I would want to work with. I got replies from a few of them, just telling me thank you for reaching out and that if I am admitted, that they would love to communicate with me further and potentially be matched as my advisor. I don’t think it’s standard to do this for the MPH, but it doesn’t hurt. If they ignore you, then who cares, at least you showed interest. It’s good practice though to reach out and make yourself seem eager and known.

Just received my first official acceptance letter from Indiana University today! (I received an unofficial acceptance call from SLU but have not received the actual letter yet). I was pretty surprised at the turn around for the decision since they emailed me on 12/1 that my application was under review.

Reactions: 3 users
Just received my first official acceptance letter from Indiana University today! (I received an unofficial acceptance call from SLU but have not received the actual letter yet). I was pretty surprised at the turn around for the decision since they emailed me on 12/1 that my application was under review.
Congrats!! I’m so frustrated I haven’t received any decisions at all yet, you’re so lucky!

Congrats!! I’m so frustrated I haven’t received any decisions at all yet, you’re so lucky!
Thanks!! Waiting is definitely the worst part of the entire process. I am constantly checking my email. It looks like you applied to some programs that take their sweet time reviewing applications. Good luck! I'm sure good news is on its way!

Global Health. I did apply in early November though. If you're really worried about it I don't think it would hurt to shoot admissions an email.
I ended up emailing and they replied that they received the items and I should get an email in the next week confirming that my application was sent for review...I got that email 10 minutes later. Haha

Does anyone know why the NYU MPH in Biostats is only available as an on-campus/online hybrid? I know certain modules are always online (ex: ethics certificate), but I can't find anything on their website as to why this is indicated like this on SOPHAS or how much of it will be online? I don't want to pay that price tag for a mostly online degree.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on Tulane in terms of their Epidemiology or Biostats programs? I know they are well known for tropical medicine which isn't the field I'm interested in at all, so wondering if people know about their reputation and program quality outside of that area?

Tulane is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, school of public health in the country, the "tropical medicine" part is just because it was originally named a "school of hygiene and tropical medicine." The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine is the best public health school in the world as far as I'm concerned, so having tropical medicine in the title is a sign of respectability and longevity.

Tulane has a bonafide department of Epidemiology, and a department of Biostats and bioinformatics, I think the advantage of Tulane is that it puts into context these issues. Tulane is, of course, one of the most respected public health schools in the country, and they've got the history of prove it.

Tulane is a gem like Emory as it is not crowded out by other public health schools and it commands respect as the number one public health school in Louisiana, and really the region, where there are a lot of unique public health issues.

NYU isn't really a top public health school, they run a controversial "Continental" program which is criticized by both NYU faculty and students actually in this program as being a money-making scheme of little educational value.

Last edited:
I ended up emailing and they replied that they received the items and I should get an email in the next week confirming that my application was sent for review...I got that email 10 minutes later. Haha

Ha glad it worked out! Good luck!!