MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has your GPA already been calculated for SOPHAS? If so then I don't think this would have any bearing on your SOPHAS GPA:

Q: My GPA has been calculated and my application mailed to schools, but I have now completed my in-progress work. Can SOPHAS update my GPA?
A: NO. If your GPA has already been calculated, SOPHAS may NOT update your GPA. You MAY, however, update the coursework section of your application to report these new grades to your SOPHAS programs, but they will NOT be verified by SOPHAS and they will NOT factor into your SOPHAS GPA. Please see the “Updating the Application/Academic Update” section of our FAQ for detailed instructions.

But failing a course (vs. withdrawing) would have a bearing on my acceptance I'm assuming?

Members don't see this ad.

But failing a course (vs. withdrawing) would have a bearing on my acceptance I'm assuming?

Not sure how the school would come to know since you've already submitted your transcript, but possibly? Withdrawal probably does look better, I believe. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Not sure how the school would come to know since you've already submitted your transcript, but possibly? Withdrawal probably does look better, I believe. Anyone else want to weigh in?
I've been watching this conversation and all I can think is how frustrating it is that the professor won't tell you where you stand. That's just ridiculous-- all my classes were updated regularly throughout the semester, and, if not, you could always ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a discussion question (and I fully understand how late I've left this!). For Harvard, they ask the supplemental question "Briefly describe an overlooked public health problem in your country and what you think should be done about it." I already talk about my interest in [XYZ topic] in my SOP, so my first inclination was to address something different here - but do you think it would be better to reinforce/rehash the research interest already described in the SOP? I'm interested in hearing other people's thoughts.

~~~~~

Undergrad School: Top 40 Private Northeast University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.15 (lol) / 3.49
Major/Minor: Biology, Chinese

GRE: 167V, 167Q, 5.0AWA
Experience/Research
: 2 years pharmaceutical work, 1 year of work in a clinic in undergrad, brief clinical research experience in summer '13
Special factors: Chinese speaker

Interested in: Epidemiology
Applied: Harvard 80-MS Epi (12/1), GWU MPH Epi (12/3)

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
If none of your schools require Fall grades, then I don't think this really matters for this application cycle. If you're learning lots in the class and it's benefiting you in other ways, don't withdraw and keep trying to pass. If it's stressing you out and not teaching you much, then do.

If your schools do require updated grades, then I would be more cautious. Have you said to the professor, "I need to know where I stand because I am planning to withdraw so as not to hurt my chances in grad school" or something? I would make it very clear to them why you need to know this, and if they still won't communicate your standing, withdraw. Finally, if there's any chance you will apply to PhD/MD/whatever after an MPH, I would withdraw to avoid the impact on cumulative GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a discussion question (and I fully understand how late I've left this!). For Harvard, they ask the supplemental question "Briefly describe an overlooked public health problem in your country and what you think should be done about it." I already talk about my interest in [XYZ topic] in my SOP, so my first inclination was to address something different here - but do you think it would be better to reinforce/rehash the research interest already described in the SOP? I'm interested in hearing other people's thoughts.

I think you could go either way. What I assume they are trying to determine is if you can identify, describe, and generate plausible solutions for a public health problem. The goal is to demonstrate skills (research, evidence synthesis, creative problem solving, clear technical communication, etc.) rather than tell a story about your personal interests like in your SOP. I would write about something you are very informed about and that is actually overlooked, and I don't think it really matters if that overlaps with your particular research interest. If it helps, I was admitted to Harvard last year and wrote about the same issue in both essays.

I think you could go either way. What I assume they are trying to determine is if you can identify, describe, and generate plausible solutions for a public health problem. The goal is to demonstrate skills (research, evidence synthesis, creative problem solving, clear technical communication, etc.) rather than tell a story about your personal interests like in your SOP. I would write about something you are very informed about and that is actually overlooked, and I don't think it really matters if that overlaps with your particular research interest. If it helps, I was admitted to Harvard last year and wrote about the same issue in both essays.

Thanks wwmmkk - that's really helpful in the way I conceptualize of this question. I'm thinking I'll try a couple of different tactics and then choose the one I like the best - at 150 words, drafting up a few isn't that much writing. :)

As a side note - and you may have answered this in another place on this forum, so feel free to direct me there if I'm missing something obvious! - why did you end up choosing the school that you did? I'm definitely interested in getting student perspectives on all of these programs, since I think it helps in the application almost as much as in the decision. (You've already been a huge help though, so please don't waste time on this if you're busy!)

Thanks wwmmkk - that's really helpful in the way I conceptualize of this question. I'm thinking I'll try a couple of different tactics and then choose the one I like the best - at 150 words, drafting up a few isn't that much writing. :)

As a side note - and you may have answered this in another place on this forum, so feel free to direct me there if I'm missing something obvious! - why did you end up choosing the school that you did? I'm definitely interested in getting student perspectives on all of these programs, since I think it helps in the application almost as much as in the decision. (You've already been a huge help though, so please don't waste time on this if you're busy!)

If you look through the 2017 version of this thread, you can probably see an archive of my agonizing decision process. Long story short, I decided primarily based on a) which programs had faculty/courses geared toward my very specific interests and b) the best financial deal. It came down to Brown vs. Drexel vs. Minnesota, and my long-term partner had a strong preference for Providence life over Minneapolis/Philadelphia.

If you (or anyone) has specific questions about Brown, feel free to PM! I'm really loving my program but am usually good at giving balanced description and would be happy to talk about it with anyone. I obviously do not go to Drexel, Minnesota, or the other schools I applied to [Harvard, Pitt, Tufts, Colorado] but I can say positive things about why I chose to apply to them and ultimately why I decided not to go.

If you look through the 2017 version of this thread, you can probably see an archive of my agonizing decision process. Long story short, I decided primarily based on a) which programs had faculty/courses geared toward my very specific interests and b) the best financial deal. It came down to Brown vs. Drexel vs. Minnesota, and my long-term partner had a strong preference for Providence life over Minneapolis/Philadelphia.

If you (or anyone) has specific questions about Brown, feel free to PM! I'm really loving my program but am usually good at giving balanced description and would be happy to talk about it with anyone. I obviously do not go to Drexel, Minnesota, or the other schools I applied to [Harvard, Pitt, Tufts, Colorado] but I can say positive things about why I chose to apply to them and ultimately why I decided not to go.
It Brown rolling admission? If so, does it mean that if I submit earlier, I would get bigger chance to get in?
Thank you

Undergrad School: Big state school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Biology/ pre-med
GRE
(including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V:158 Q:153 AWA:3.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
Spent 2 years in a lab assisting in glaucoma research
Volunteered as a 'big sister' for 2 years
Multiple doctor shadows
Summer internship in the interventional radiology unit of Pinnacle Health Hospital
2 years as a community health educator for Peace Corps

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Looking to bridge my biology background with the global health experience I've had with Peace Corps. I'm interested in infectious disease tracks, global health epidemiology, etc.
Interested in: infectious disease
Applied
(include the date of application): Tulane - Tropical Medicine
GW - global health epi
NYU- cross continental mph
Yale- infectious disease
UCLA- Epi
BU- infectious disease
Drexel- epi
Emory- Global health

Accepted: Tulane , GW, NYU
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hi! I've recently been accepted into the cross continental mph program at NYU and I have about 273294 questions. With it being a newer program it's been hard to find any info/opinions on the program/people to reach out to. This program seems to be field work heavy, more so than most programs. While I see the benefits of more field work, I can also think of a few downsides of not having the typical style of a 2 year mph program. Anyone have any opinions/experience/advice on this topic or program?

Hi! You are the only other person I have seen that has applied to Tulane's Tropical Medicine program. It's one of my top choices and I'm going a little crazy waiting to hear about a decision. I am curious how long it took to receive your acceptance after your application was verified? It seems that some of Tulane's departments get answers back in a matter of two days, while other departments take three weeks. Since no one else has mentioned tropical medicine, I have no idea what to expect. THANKS!

~~~~~

Undergrad School: Tufts University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.15 (lol) / 3.4

GRE: 167V, 167Q, 5AWA
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 2 years pharmaceutical work, 1 year of work in a clinic in undergrad, brief clinical research experience in summer '13
Special factors:

Applied: n/a

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Harvard only offer its mph to students with a certain amount of direct public health work experience?

It Brown rolling admission? If so, does it mean that if I submit earlier, I would get bigger chance to get in?
Thank you
No. They have a priority deadline of February 1, so you would have the best chance of admission if you complete your application by that time. After that deadline, admissions is rolling. Last year, Brown released admissions decisions very, very late and told me/other applicants it was because they struggled with the SOPHAS system and the volume of applicants. It did not seem to matter that I had applied in October; my decision was released with everyone else's in early April.

(Also, just so we're all clear, I go to Brown University in Providence, RI, not the Brown School at Washington University in St. Louis, MO. I don't think you're making that mistake, but others might!)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Harvard only offer its mph to students with a certain amount of direct public health work experience?

You may be totally right - I wouldn’t know, though, as I’m not applying to the MPH!! :) I’m applying to the 80-credit MS program there, which has no such requirement, as far as I know. (I know, I’m an imposter, posting in this thread!) Harvard has a standard set of supplemental questions and the one I wrote out is definitely included in the MS application.

Thanks again! That thread’s a really useful resource that I didn’t even think to check. Super helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)

As sploosh said, the SM80 degrees generally do not have work prerequisites, with the exception of global health and population (6 months minimum). The MPH degree requires 2 years FTE post-grad minimum, I believe.

Undergrad School: North Carolina State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1 / 3.1
Major/Minor: Mathematics / Outdoor Leadership
GradGPA (if applicable): ~Flunked out of Math Grad School due to broken leg and serious infection- but wrote a letter including documentation.~
Grad Studies (if applicable): some grad courses including UNC: Intro to Epidemiology Certification
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V:156 , Q: 156 , AWA: 5 (73%, 62%, 93%)

(1) 1 year - HIV/AIDS education volunteer work at LGBT center including statistical data
(2) 6 months - infectious disease data analyst volunteer for Wake County Communicable Disease Dept.
(3) 1 month - HIV/AIDS outreach trip to Uganda
(4) All of college - Data analysis and summer research with SAS , R , Excel for various disease modeling projects
(5) 4 years - Various job positions as data analysis with software and social settings
(6) 10 years - Math/Stat tutor for University and self. Also volunteer work at food banks and shelters

Special factors: LOR: (1) Nurse at LGBT center known for 5 years, (2) Coworker EDI Consultant, (3) Mathematics Professor
Visited UNC professor whom I want to work with and chatted over my passion.

Im nervous!!! But I really tried to show my love for big data and public health and the merging of the two!!!

Applied:
UNC MSPH-PhD (Epi) 11/27, UW (Epi) 11/27, Emory MPH (Epi) 11/27, GW MPH (Epi) 11/27, Colorado MPH (Epi) 11/27
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

For some reason today I'm freaking out a little about cost-- Ahhh!!! Getting accepted makes it feel so much more real.:help:

I'm getting pretty nervous because I submitted my applications over a week ago through SOPHAS, but still haven't been notified that the transcripts are "verified". My soonest deadline is this Friday 12/1...what happens if it is not verified by that date?

I'm getting pretty nervous because I submitted my applications over a week ago through SOPHAS, but still haven't been notified that the transcripts are "verified". My soonest deadline is this Friday 12/1...what happens if it is not verified by that date?
I may be wrong, but I think you should be okay as long as you have all your materials submitted by the deadline. You may want to call individual schools and ask; I'm sure you're not the only one with this situation and that they have a policy in place. Good luck!

~~~~~

Undergrad School: Tufts University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.15 (lol) / 3.4

GRE: 167V, 167Q, 5AWA
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 2 years pharmaceutical work, 1 year of work in a clinic in undergrad, brief clinical research experience in summer '13
Special factors:

Applied: n/a

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hi Sploosh! I also applied to Harvard, and I think it really depends of the content of your SOP. Mine focuses on the skills I want to get out of the program and doesn't touch on any specific public health problem, so I didn't have to worry about rehashing the same thing.

where can I find my SOPHAS GPA on the PDF document?

SOPHAS calculated GPA should be listed directly under the listed coursework. For my GPA, it took several hours after verification to show up on an updated PDF. Hope that helps!

Undergrad School: State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.31/3.6
Major/Minor: Biological Sciences/Anthropology
GradGPA
(if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V:160, Q:153 , AWA: 4.5

(1) 2years - Community Health Volunteer Peace Corps
(2) 3 months- infectious disease research
(3) 4years - Undergraduate Research
(4) various doctor shadowing
(5) Health clinic volunteer

Applied:
Tulane MPHTM, UPitt IDM-PEL, Harvard - global health, Yale -EMD, Columbia -PopFam/global health, Emory - Global Health (infectious disease), USF - Epi&Global Communicable Diseases, WashUSTL - Global Health, Berkeley - Infectious Diseases, Johns Hopkins MPH (all completed 10/31, Verified 11/5)
Accepted: Tulane MPHTM (11/21), UPitt (11/29), Emory (12/7), USF (12/11 awaiting Epi decision), Johns Hopkins (12/14), WashUSTL (12/27)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Question! I recalculated my major GPA and updated the change in my resume. However, I forgot to change it in the designated section of the application for UNC. The GPA on the application states 3.73 when it should say 3.71 like it says on the resume. What should I do?

I sent the GRE and my transcript about 10 days ago to UCLA and my application status showed that they are still awaiting. Does that mean that they have not received my scores or they just forget to update the status?
Has anyone met that situation before?

Once submitted around this time, how long do programs usually take to get back to students? Particularly interested in Harvard, UMich, and UCLA?

Question! I recalculated my major GPA and updated the change in my resume. However, I forgot to change it in the designated section of the application for UNC. The GPA on the application states 3.73 when it should say 3.71 like it says on the resume. What should I do?
The discrepancy is so small I don't think anyone will notice. If you're really worried I would shoot the admissions office a quick email.

Heads up! My admissions decision portal changed for Johns Hopkins! :D

I haven't received an official email yet but it changed to "Accepted"!

Reactions: 2 users

Congrats!! I checked mine (MSPH in International Health GDEC) and it was still "Application Sent For Review"-- my heart was pounding for a couple seconds though!

Congrats!! I checked mine (MSPH in International Health GDEC) and it was still "Application Sent For Review"-- my heart was pounding for a couple seconds though!

Thank you! Congrats on your acceptances so far as well! :)

Ah shoot, sorry for the adrenaline rush this morning. Looks like we're in different programs so we're probably on different review timeline. You submitted early so I am sure you'll receive some good news soon!

I'm looking at my "Check Status" page on SOPHAS and my application statuses all read as "complete." However, according to SOPHAS, these are the possible application statuses:

In-Progress: Your application has not yet been e-submitted to SOPHAS. You will receive a confirmation e-mail and notification to you application message inbox that your application was submitted.

Received > Awaiting Materials: Your application has been e-submitted and fees have been paid, but you are still missing transcripts or letters of recommendation which are required to become complete.

Materials Received > Verifying: Your application is complete and in line for verification.

Complete Date: The date your application was completed and went in line for verification. Applications are placed in line in chronological order based on their complete date. This information is not displayed on the 3.0 application, but you can contact SOPHAS to determine your complete date.

Undelivered: An error has been found and your application has been returned to you for correction. It must be re-submitted to SOPHAS in order to be processed.

Verified: Your application has been processed and your GPA has been calculated. You will receive a confirmation e-mail and notification to you application message inbox that your application was verified.

IMPORTANT: SOPHAS no longer mails application to your selected public health programs. All applications are accessed online by your selected programs in real time, and are reviewed at the programs’ discretion. As a result, your application status will NOT read as “mailed” at any time during the application cycle. A status of “Verified” is the final status for your application.

Mine just says "complete"...any insight on this?

I'm looking at my "Check Status" page on SOPHAS and my application statuses all read as "complete." However, according to SOPHAS, these are the possible application statuses:

In-Progress: Your application has not yet been e-submitted to SOPHAS. You will receive a confirmation e-mail and notification to you application message inbox that your application was submitted.

Received > Awaiting Materials: Your application has been e-submitted and fees have been paid, but you are still missing transcripts or letters of recommendation which are required to become complete.

Materials Received > Verifying: Your application is complete and in line for verification.

Complete Date: The date your application was completed and went in line for verification. Applications are placed in line in chronological order based on their complete date. This information is not displayed on the 3.0 application, but you can contact SOPHAS to determine your complete date.

Undelivered: An error has been found and your application has been returned to you for correction. It must be re-submitted to SOPHAS in order to be processed.

Verified: Your application has been processed and your GPA has been calculated. You will receive a confirmation e-mail and notification to you application message inbox that your application was verified.

IMPORTANT: SOPHAS no longer mails application to your selected public health programs. All applications are accessed online by your selected programs in real time, and are reviewed at the programs’ discretion. As a result, your application status will NOT read as “mailed” at any time during the application cycle. A status of “Verified” is the final status for your application.

Mine just says "complete"...any insight on this?

I think they neglected updating this page, I was confused too after I submitted mine. I believe this just means they aren't verified yet, but everything is submitted!

I think they neglected updating this page, I was confused too after I submitted mine. I believe this just means they aren't verified yet, but everything is submitted!

Ah, ok. Thanks. I read that all of the programs can view your application even if it is not "verified" so hopefully it won't be an issue that mine isn't officially verified yet.

Undergrad School: UCLA
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.341 (overall)/3.757 (major)
Major/Minor: Human Biology & Society and Global Health minor
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE taken April 8, 2017 - V 145 (27%), Q 148 (30%), Writing 4 (60%)

- Qualitative social science research with a professor in my department using excel 2016 Spring Quarter)
- Transcribed interviews and did data entries for health service project with a doctor at UCLA’s pediatric office (2 years)
- Independent research study into Acinetobacter Baumannii bacteria and antibiotic usage with a well known professor in my department (2017 Spring Quarter)
- Financial Director of the Black Hypertension project (1 year)
- Health Careers Connection Intern during Summer 2015
- Environmental Health Extern (1 year)

Special factors: I did a lot of community health work and presentations throughout high school, and I described an encounter with an audience member that influenced me to pursue a career in public health in my personal statements. :)

Letter of Recommendations:
A professor whom I did qualitative social science research with for a couple quarters and took/did well in her social science health movement course;

Respected Health Academic Program director and former professor;

Former high school health teacher/internship supervisor/mentor who is also the coordinator of the health academy I was involved in high school

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: Health policy, health disparities, healthcare accessibility
Applied(include the date of application):

UCLA (11/29 - Health Policy & Management)
Emory University (11/29 - Health Policy & Management)
Colorado School of Public Health (11/29 - Health Systems, Management & Policy)
Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science (11/29 - Urban Health Disparities)

Accepted: Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science (12/8), Emory (1/29), Colorado (2/2)
Rejected: UCLA (2/10)
Waitlisted:

I know that my scores are super low and I'm definitely not happy with them but I'm just a bad testtaker. I took the GRE the second time and did worse than my first try. I'm hoping that my personal statement along with my experience and letter of recommendations will suffice. And a lot of schools have told me that they look at the application holistically. However, will doing worse on the GRE on my second try affect my application? I don't know if it is true, but I heard that even ifyou send your higher score to the schools, they somehow can see your other scores, in my case, my lower scores.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else apply to University of Washington? It's annoying that they don't go through SOPHAS.

Has anyone who applied to Cal gotten a confirmation that your application was received? My app was verified over a week ago and I have gotten confirmation from all the other school I applied to except Cal.

No, they’re the only school I haven’t received confirmation from as well.

Just got my third acceptance (jhu mph and GWU global epi) from Drexel with $18000 dean scholarship and it said Dornsife award will be announced by feb 1 . Feeling excited

Reactions: 4 users

Submitted 11/03, verified 11/08 for Full-Time MPH (Global Environmental Sustainability & Health)

Eek! My SOPHAS was verified 11/07 and I got the verification from JHU on 11/08. Mine still says "Sent for review" but now I'll probably be checking every hour, haha.

I submit my applications to Hopkins, Emory, and UNC this week. However, I won't take my GRE until January 6. The disadvantage is that my applications won't be sent for review until scores are received. Representatives from the specific schools assured me that that was okay, as long as the scores are sent before the deadline. However, seeing all these acceptance announcements on this thread has me concerned that taking the GRE this late will greatly affect my admission decisions. Should I visit the schools that I can and talk to someone? I'm open to any advice!

Eek! My SOPHAS was verified 11/07 and I got the verification from JHU on 11/08. Mine still says "Sent for review" but now I'll probably be checking every hour, haha.
Eek!!! Crossing my fingers for you!!

Last edited:
If anyone ever tells you you won't get in anywhere because of low GRE and average GPA, don't let that deter you! I scored a 297 on GRE and had a 3.2 GPA, and just got accepted to IU Bloomington!

Reactions: 4 users
If anyone ever tells you you won't get in anywhere because of low GRE and average GPA, don't let that deter you! I scored a 297 on GRE and had a 3.2 GPA, and just got accepted to IU Bloomington!
I recently was in Bloomington for the Indiana-Wisconsin game and love the campus. I don't know if you've ever been, but it's gorgeous.

Do you mind me asking when you sent in your application and if they sent aid offers?

I recently was in Bloomington for the Indiana-Wisconsin game and love the campus. I don't know if you've ever been, but it's gorgeous.

Do you mind me asking when you sent in your application and if they sent aid offers?

I submitted my application on 11/1 and it was received by IU on the 15. They didn't send any aid offers, but I plan on applying for assistanships,etc.

When did you apply to Drexel?
I applied 25 October but Drexel confirmed completed application on 5 November and that they will make the decision in 3 - 4 weeks got the email 30 Nov to check the portal for decision

Undergrad School: UC Irvine - December 2016
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.93
Major/Minor: Public Health Policy, AA in Spanish
GradGPA(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) October 14 - 69 percentile (155 V, 158 Q, 4.5 essays)
or Other Test (if applicable):

Experience/Research
(please, be brief): Currently working at a local public health department in the Disease control & epidemiology unit as a health educator. 2 years of research at uci on public health policy issue, co-authored a paper currently in review, voluteer work testing people for HIV & hep C, work at a research institute in evaluation.

Special factors:

Interested in MPH in Epi.

Interested in:
Applied
(include the date of application): UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, SDSU (finishing this app now).
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted: