MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone applied to UI Chicago's Health Policy and Administration program? I applied a month or so ago and it is the only school that hasn't given me any sort of notification that they have received my application.
I applied for their Community Health MPH and I got an email with a link where you could check if they had received all the parts of your application. Maybe check your spam folders? Otherwise, their admissions has been really responsive to over email for all my tiny little questions.

Members don't see this ad.

OMG. I just submitted my application and in my resume, on the last line of one of my publications I put "submitted for review in journal x, " LIKE A COMMA INSTEAD OF A PERIOD :nailbiting: Dear god someone tell me you've made a grammatical error/some error and were accepted. I keep flipping between "this isn't the end of the world" and "they're going to think I'm lazy af"

EDIT: also, I'm first author on that publication and obviously wanted that one to get the most attention. What a nightmare.

I don't think they will notice or care. Imagine: "Wow, this person has a great academic record, awesome experiences, a publication, and a strong SOP. But...that typo. We can't accept them."

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think they will notice or care. Imagine: "Wow, this person has a great academic record, awesome experiences, a publication, and a strong SOP. But...that typo. We can't accept them."

Hahaha I totally get it & thank you. I maybe should have mentioned that my academic record is s***, BUT the remainder of my app (experience, GRE scores etc) is good. Regardless, considering my pretty abysmal academic record, my goal was for the rest of my app to be flawless :meh:

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG. I just submitted my application and in my resume, on the last line of one of my publications I put "submitted for review in journal x, " LIKE A COMMA INSTEAD OF A PERIOD :nailbiting: Dear god someone tell me you've made a grammatical error/some error and were accepted. I keep flipping between "this isn't the end of the world" and "they're going to think I'm lazy af"

EDIT: also, I'm first author on that publication and obviously wanted that one to get the most attention. What a nightmare.
I didn't capitalize a word in one of my job titles. I still got accepted to two schools so far. They probably won't notice and as others have said, it's one typo. Not like the entire thing is like that.

Reactions: 2 users

Think of the number of applications all these schools are getting. In my professional development class in my MPH program, we learn that most resumes don't get more than 30 seconds of attention. Its a quick skim, so definitely don't agonize over it! As long as your resume isn't absolutely full of distracting typos, it's nothing to worry about.

So for my GWU statement of purpose essay, the entire time I was referring to it as just “George Washington University” when there is actually a “The” in front of the name. Officially, it is “THE George Washington University”. I was freaking out and thought “omg I spelled the damn name of the school wrong throughout my ENTIRE essay”....and I literally still got admitted really quickly. So, don’t worry about it. It’s just a little teeny tiny mistake. It would be ridiculous to get rejected because of that. In a couple of months, once you get accepted to places, you’ll look back and laugh at this. And you’ll never make this mistake again :)

I have a very concern about my academic history. I got a ACADEMIC PROBATION in the first quarter of my first year. But it is not because of the cheating or something. Just my GPA is below 2.0. But I have a strong uptrend after that. I have already explained that on SOPHAS, do you guys think that this would seriously affect my admission? Does the school that I apply know that the reason of ACADEMIC PROBATION cause my transcript does not explain anything.

I have a very concern about my academic history. I got a ACADEMIC PROBATION in the first quarter of my first year. But it is not because of the cheating or something. Just my GPA is below 2.0. But I have a strong uptrend after that. I have already explained that on SOPHAS, do you guys think that this would seriously affect my admission? Does the school that I apply know that the reason of ACADEMIC PROBATION cause my transcript does not explain anything.
I think that as long as you explained everything in your SOP, then it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Just make them understand that you didn’t like get in trouble for anything and that you’ve definitely improved since then. It’s a holistic review process and for them to see improvement could actually help your application.

I didn't capitalize a word in one of my job titles. I still got accepted to two schools so far. They probably won't notice and as others have said, it's one typo. Not like the entire thing is like that.

Think of the number of applications all these schools are getting. In my professional development class in my MPH program, we learn that most resumes don't get more than 30 seconds of attention. Its a quick skim, so definitely don't agonize over it! As long as your resume isn't absolutely full of distracting typos, it's nothing to worry about.

So for my GWU statement of purpose essay, the entire time I was referring to it as just “George Washington University” when there is actually a “The” in front of the name. Officially, it is “THE George Washington University”. I was freaking out and thought “omg I spelled the damn name of the school wrong throughout my ENTIRE essay”....and I literally still got admitted really quickly. So, don’t worry about it. It’s just a little teeny tiny mistake. It would be ridiculous to get rejected because of that. In a couple of months, once you get accepted to places, you’ll look back and laugh at this. And you’ll never make this mistake again :)

It's a huge relief to know I'm not the only one and thanks for successfully easing my nerves!!

Reactions: 1 users

I think you'll absolutely be fine. I'm not sure how much you've looked into SOPHAS but under "personal information" there's an opportunity to declare any consequences brought upon you during undergrad - and theres a box for "student conduct violations" (i.e. cheating) and "academic" (i.e. academic probation) and then you're able to choose which one and to explain. Since it was literally your first and only semester and you've said you had an upward trend, I really don't think anyone will bat an eye. I was actually just talking with someone who just graduated from umich's mph and was academically dismissed (she had below a 2.0) from her first school for medical reasons, left and went to another school, did great, came out with a cumulative of 3.4ish, had just decent GREs and was accepted into umich, UCLA and Columbia to name a few.

Last edited:
Has anyone who applied to Emory University's MPH in Health Policy and Management heard back anything? My application has been verified on 12/8 and I've only heard back from UCLA and ColoradoSPH receiving my application.

Has anyone who applied to Emory University's MPH in Health Policy and Management heard back anything? My application has been verified on 12/8 and I've only heard back from UCLA and ColoradoSPH receiving my application.
I did not apply to the Health Policy and Management program but it took about a week for them to send me email confirmation that they received my application for another program. According to previous years' threads, Emory is really slow when it comes to communication.

I was on academic probation after my first semester of college and have gotten in a few places. Just explain well in your SOP and you should be fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
When considering the applications, does the school put more weight on your MAJOR GPA or the GENERAL GPA?
Was there even a place on SOPHAS for major GPA? I know SOPHAS standardizes and calculates general GPAs, so I'm assuming that's the main thing they'd go with.

When considering the applications, does the school put more weight on your MAJOR GPA or the GENERAL GPA?
SOPHAS breaks your GPA down a few different ways. One of the schools I talked to was very impressed that I had a 4.0 in grad level public health classes at my school despite having a 3.4 overall. To them, that was proof I was able to do well in the subject so I was admitted. If your undergrad major has something to do with what you want to go into (i.e., math or statistics for biostats), I'm sure they would place more weight on major GPA. Otherwise they might look at a subset of the GPA or your entire GPA.

Hey everyone. I was recently accepted to Tufts epi/biostats MPH program and was wondering what your thoughts are about the program. Tufts is such a great school and I used to think it was a strong program but it does not seem like many people applied there this year. Any thoughts on to why?

Hey everyone. I was recently accepted to Tufts epi/biostats MPH program and was wondering what your thoughts are about the program. Tufts is such a great school and I used to think it was a strong program but it does not seem like many people applied there this year. Any thoughts on to why?

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe Tufts is within the School of Medicine, not a School of Public Health. And I don't think it's ranked, although that doesn't always matter.

A professor from John Hopkins who is literally doing everything I want to do called and I realized I am the most awkward human being ever. :(

Reactions: 4 users
The Tufts program is very small and housed within its school of medicine as opposed to being its own school of public health. I visited last year and was very impressed by how friendly the administrators and faculty were. The facilities weren't great (I'm sure I'm remembering this incorrectly, but I recall the offices and classroom being in a basement?). I think the program has some major strength areas (nutrition) but is not all-around strong. Harvard and BU really have the public health market cornered in Boston, and I just don't see Tufts competing well with either of them. They also gave me a ridiculously low scholarship-- $500 or something. Every other school I applied to gave me many times that (except Pitt, which gave me nothing).

First admission from GWU, yay!

Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys, how ridiculous would it be if I didn't submit my additional application fee to Berkeley right away? Do you think my application would be discarded? I like the program, but my husband and I would prefer to be on the East Coast. $105 is just so much money for a maybe-- I'd rather see if I hear back from other schools first:shrug:

Hey guys, how ridiculous would it be if I didn't submit my additional application fee to Berkeley right away? Do you think my application would be discarded? I like the program, but my husband and I would prefer to be on the East Coast. $105 is just so much money for a maybe-- I'd rather see if I hear back from other schools first:shrug:

I don't think it would be ridiculous. That's a lot of money that could be used for a school that is more in line of your prefer geographic location.

Do I pay for the supplemental application fee for Berkeley when my transcript isn't ready as it was the awaited document in their mail sent to me?

I don't think it would be ridiculous. That's a lot of money that could be used for a school that is more in line of your prefer geographic location.
Mine is $125, despite paying 135 on sophas....am terrified :unsure::unsure::writer:

Maybe call or email them and ask when the deadline to pay that is (unless you already know). It’s totally understandable to wait, though

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing which program and when your application was verified?

Global environmental health program, I submitted the application on 11/28 and SOPHAS verified on 12/1.
The decision was so quick I’m surprised!

Hi guy this is my first time posting on a forum! I would really appreciate some advice on where I stand based off of my stats and where I have a chance at getting in. I know I'm late to the game so I'm in need of some help please!

I'm currently a senior expecting to graduate in May 2018.
Undergrad School: Top State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.215/3.833
Major/Minor: Public Health Studies
GRE (159 V, 147 Q, 4 essay) - Planning on retaking it
Other Details - (I had a paid public health internship at a non-profit last summer, 2 years of research experience, volunteered at elementary schools to teach kids healthy habits, studied/volunteered abroad in 2 different countries, trilingual)

Due to an illness I failed a couple of classes sophomore year but I recovered soon and had a strong upward trend. I didn't get a chance to really explain it on my app as I submitted it to one school without filling out the additional experiences section and now it is not letting me add anything to it. I also have a medical certificate explaining this and I'm not sure where to add both of these details now.

I am interested in global health and behavior health science programs in the northeast. Do you guys think I have a chance at places like GWU, BU, NYU and if so where exactly? Thank you I would really appreciate it!!!

~ a confused and worried soul

Hi guy this is my first time posting on a forum! I would really appreciate some advice on where I stand based off of my stats and where I have a chance at getting in. I know I'm late to the game so I'm in need of some help please!

Other Details - (I had a paid public health internship at a non-profit last summer, 2 years of research experience, volunteered at elementary schools to teach kids healthy habits, studied/volunteered abroad in 2 different countries, trilingual)

Due to an illness I failed a couple of classes sophomore year but I recovered soon and had a strong upward trend. I didn't get a chance to really explain it on my app as I submitted it to one school without filling out the additional experiences section and now it is not letting me add anything to it. I also have a medical certificate explaining this and I'm not sure where to add both of these details now.

I am interested in global health and behavior health science programs in the northeast. Do you guys think I have a chance at places like GWU, BU, NYU and if so where exactly? Thank you I would really appreciate it!!!

Quant is a bit low. But MPH programs look at applications holistically. So you have a decent chance. Even better if you have decent grades for Math courses in your transcripts

For reference, the average percentile for quant and verbal for BU are 51% and 60% respectively. These translate to the following raw score average: 153Q and 153V.

I know this isn't in a huge city but Indiana University won't even ask for your GRE scores if your GPA is over a 2.75. It's worth looking into for a backup school.

Just got my first acceptance so I decided to finally post my stats!

Undergrad School: Arizona University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.26/3.5
Major/Minor: Public Health/Religious Studies
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE: 155V, 148Q, 4W
Experience/Research
(please, be brief):
-Summer Research program on pesticides that lead to oral and poster presentation and empirical report
-Participated in 2 Break Away trips and leading one next year
-Lots of local volunteering
Special factors:
-first generation college student
-military dependent
-greek life

Still Applying to: , SDSU, Arizona
Interested in: maternal and child health, health policy and management
Applied: Harvard (12/1), BU (11/11), Minnesota (11/14), GW (11/14), UW (12/1), Drexel (1/3), Colorado (1/4)
Accepted: Minnesota (12/11), BU (12/15)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:

I think that those three universities you mentioned are a good fit for your stats. I would also add Tulane in there for sure (very high acceptance rate). In all future applications, I would play up how well you’ve done in your major GPA and how you overcame that medical condition and how you’re really looking forward to continue that upward trend in grad school. Honestly, retaking that GRE would be a good idea. I have seen some people get in with GRE scores like yours due to lots of experience, good GPA, and really really good letters of recommendation, but it’s better to just have a higher GRE to not have to make them look at other things to boost your application. If I were you, I would aim for at least a 155 in your quant. In my opinion, I think your verbal and writing scores are fine for the schools you are looking at. I studied soooo hard for 3 months straight to get my GRE quant score up from the 140s on practice tests to 159 on actual test day. You may not have that much time to study that much, but you could boost it by a few points, to at least get up to 150. Good luck!! Apply, write your SOP well, and I’m sure you’ll get in at least somewhere. but apply soon! As I believe deadlines are approaching and spots are filling up.

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing which program and when your application was verified?
Hi there! I saw this and figured I'd add in - my app was verified 11/21, and I heard back 11/30 for Epidemiology. It seems like some of the programs have a really quick turn around and others are taking a little longer. I also think we're making our way into peak submission season, so I'm sure lots of schools are being flooded with apps.

I'm losing my mind knowing that pretty much all the programs I applied to don't release any admissions decisions until around February :(

I'm losing my mind knowing that pretty much all the programs I applied to don't release any admissions decisions until around February :(

I feel this so hard. I check my email every day even though I know most decisions won't come out until then. It's such a nerve-wracking process.

I feel this so hard. I check my email every day even though I know most decisions won't come out until then. It's such a nerve-wracking process.
I know!! Where did you apply, if you don't mind me asking?

I know!! Where did you apply, if you don't mind me asking?

Sure! I applied to
-university of houston clear lake
- UT Houston campus
- Cornell
- Johns Hopkins
- Columbia
- Trinity
- TWU
- Boston University
- UNT
- NYU
- University of South Florida - Tampa

I got accepted into UHCL so far and I have an interview with cornell :)

Sure! I applied to
-university of houston clear lake
- UT Houston campus
- Cornell
- Johns Hopkins
- Columbia
- Trinity
- TWU
- Boston University
- UNT
- NYU
- University of South Florida - Tampa

I got accepted into UHCL so far and I have an interview with cornell :)
Ooh, good luck! Congrats on getting an acceptance, though. I'm sure it takes the weight off a bit to know you'll be going somewhere :)

Ooh, good luck! Congrats on getting an acceptance, though. I'm sure it takes the weight off a bit to know you'll be going somewhere :)

thank you so much!! i appreciate it :) your stats are amazing i know you'll get into somewhere great!

thank you so much!! i appreciate it :) your stats are amazing i know you'll get into somewhere great!
Thank you!! I hope so. My first choices are UW and Columbia, they have faculty doing a lot of great work psychiatric epidemiology. So, we shall see!

@pusheen323 and @Branch394 Thank you so much for the advice and confirmation! After creeping on last year's thread, it looks like they also don't send out financial aid packages until after you make a decision, which makes me cautious since that's an important deciding factor for me. I think I'm going to wait indefinitely and see what happens.

For anyone curious, UMich is having admitted students day on March 10th and UMN is having it on March 1st-2nd. I emailed the programs and asked so I could put them on my work calendar!

I see the date your app was submitted. But I am curious, when did yours get verified?

I see the date your app was submitted. But I am curious, when did yours get verified?
Verified on 11/30! After all of my recs came in, it only took like a day or two for the GPA calculation and verification.

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe Tufts is within the School of Medicine, not a School of Public Health. And I don't think it's ranked, although that doesn't always matter.

I think that Tufts isn't ranked because USNews only ranks official "schools" of public health. Tufts is CEPH accredited and has both an MPH and a DrPH program.

The Tufts program is very small and housed within its school of medicine as opposed to being its own school of public health. I visited last year and was very impressed by how friendly the administrators and faculty were. The facilities weren't great (I'm sure I'm remembering this incorrectly, but I recall the offices and classroom being in a basement?). I think the program has some major strength areas (nutrition) but is not all-around strong. Harvard and BU really have the public health market cornered in Boston, and I just don't see Tufts competing well with either of them. They also gave me a ridiculously low scholarship-- $500 or something. Every other school I applied to gave me many times that (except Pitt, which gave me nothing).

The advantages of Tufts is that there are small class sizes, I think with a limit on how many students can enroll in a class, and you might well get to know your professors better at Tufts. Tufts is in Boston, the same as BU, so going to one versus the other probably has no bearing on getting a job in Boston which is an easier place to get a public health type job. As some posters on this forum, who hire MPH grads, have said, they might not even look at where you got the MPH, so I think factors such as having small classes and friendlier faculty at Tufts, versus possibly getting lost in the crowd at BU, should be considered. People interviewing at BU have noted that the faculty don't seem really interested in the students, and BU's curriculum was recently changed to mimic that of Columbia anyway.

Thank you!! I hope so. My first choices are UW and Columbia, they have faculty doing a lot of great work psychiatric epidemiology. So, we shall see!
If you are looking to go on to a PhD program, Emory has a few professors that work with psychiatric epidemiology as well. Specifically if you're interested in schizophrenia.

I think that Tufts isn't ranked because USNews only ranks official "schools" of public health. Tufts is CEPH accredited and has both an MPH and a DrPH program.

The advantages of Tufts is that there are small class sizes, I think with a limit on how many students can enroll in a class, and you might well get to know your professors better at Tufts. Tufts is in Boston, the same as BU, so going to one versus the other probably has no bearing on getting a job in Boston which is an easier place to get a public health type job. As some posters on this forum, who hire MPH grads, have said, they might not even look at where you got the MPH, so I think factors such as having small classes and friendlier faculty at Tufts, versus possibly getting lost in the crowd at BU, should be considered. People interviewing at BU have noted that the faculty don't seem really interested in the students, and BU's curriculum was recently changed to mimic that of Columbia anyway.
Yeah, I don't particularly disagree. I applied to Tufts and not BU exactly because of what you said re: class sizes and interactions with faculty. But there is a flip side to a small program in a city with two large ones-- since Tufts is smaller, there are fewer alumni and fewer connections than with BU and Harvard. I did quite a bit of interviewing (informational and not) in public health in Boston in 2015/2016, and I don't think I met a single Tufts graduate at the nonprofits and research centers I visited. I met many BU and Harvard grads. If I mentioned where I was applying in these interviews, people seemed confused that I chose to apply to Tufts and not BU, and some didn't even know Tufts had a program. Obviously, this is anecdotal evidence, but you can see why I would make my original point that Tufts is overshadowed by the other Boston schools.

If you are looking to go on to a PhD program, Emory has a few professors that work with psychiatric epidemiology as well. Specifically if you're interested in schizophrenia.
Thanks for the info! I don't think I'm interested in a PhD as of now, not so keen on working in academia. But, who knows what the future holds. :)

Probably a really dumb question, but does the schools you applied to emailing you constantly about other opportunities, ways to finance your education there, etc. a good indication of acceptance? I remember it being that way for undergrad.