MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by ConfusedAsUsual, Aug 15, 2017.

1. MovingForward

Pre-Medical
    I got waitlisted April 4 so maybe wait a bit?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MovingForward

Pre-Medical
    Thats honestly how I am. And plus I am very indecisive about many things. I think it is one of those things were we have to switch our mentality about it; like do I want to be in the same position again or do I want to switch things about and see where life can take me? Yes, even if you do let people down in the process, its okay; at the end of day, it is about what makes you happy and if people can't support that, then thats okay, too. Its easier said than done but this is something Ive been dealing with. So good luck with your journey! You got this!!

4. MovingForward

Pre-Medical
    Dang it, I should have applied...I love the hustle mentality.

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  5. MidnightCafe

I'm so nervous for this week. I am thinking about all the options everyday all day!!!

sploosh, Ebb55, hm1742 and 2 others like this.
  6. picksleesticks

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Went and LOVED IT. I was able to speak to someone about my research interests, and she told me exactly which professor would be a good match for thesis purposes. Message me with any questions or if you just wanna chat. I'm still undecided and very torn between two programs.

7. langat211

Hi folks,

I hope everyone is doing well. I have narrowed it down to Harvard & Columbia, and was wondering if anyone is in a similar boat? If so, I would appreciate your thoughts on your decision-making process. (I have visited both schools, funding is relatively equal, but Columbia has home field advantage in that I live in NYC, am firmly entrenched here, and a move to Boston would be extra laborious as I have dependents). To be clear, this is not a humble brag post as I'm well aware this is a "fortunate" problem to have given the quality of the schools, so please no trolling. Thank you, and good luck everyone!

Noyce likes this.
  8. ha4cb5ed

Thank you! Awesome to hear that you loved it. I leave tomorrow for NY, so I would love to learn more. Messaging you now!

NorCalMPH and picksleesticks like this.
  9. skcolley

Hi everyone! I wanted to post an update that my decision process is finally over!! Phew!

I have put a deposit down at UNC for my MSPH in Enviro Sci/Eng!! I am super excited for the challenges ahead! I know a lot of you knew that I was hoping to live in New York, but this ultimately was the best decision for me and my spouse. It grants us both a lot more personal, professional, and financial flexibility in the long term. NYC will still be there in two years if we want ;)

Thank you again for the tremendous support, encouragement, anxiety, and excitement we've all shared over the past few months! I feel so lucky to be going into a field with such warm and supportive people.

Wishing you all the best for your education and careers! And especially best of luck to those still making their decisions--I completely understand how difficult this stage of the process is.

Anyway, GO HEELS! :soexcited:

PBH2018, Cici A, pa611 and 19 others like this.
  10. sploosh

Congratulations on everyone who's made their decisions. These last few pages of this forum are the triumphant results of lots of hard work from everyone, and I'm so, so excited for all of you!

Like everyone else before me, I wanted to start by stating how grateful I am for this forum; it's been a huge help for me when my stress levels were running through the roof.

After careful thought and a revisit day last Friday, I've decided to attend Johns Hopkins SPH this fall, pursuing an MHS in Epidemiology with a concentration in Aging Epidemiology.

Broadly, the reasons I've made this decision are:
    1. I appreciate the diversity (particularly in age/life experience) of the community.
    2. I feel that subject/biology knowledge is well integrated with the methodological coursework.
    3. I was impressed by the faculty.
    4. Personally, I have family and a few friends in Baltimore, and it is easy to access from my hometown.

In a separate post, I'll share my thoughts on the revisit day as a whole, but selfishly I wanted to dedicate this post to "closing the loop" on what's basically been a year-long process. I'm going to post my final thoughts (just a ctrl+c/ctrl+z of this post, probably) in the shared Google Drive folder and I would encourage others to do the same so that all this wonderful information is captured in one central page (one last plug - lol).

Lastly, I want to let everyone know that to be completely honest, my main emotion post-decision has not been happiness, excitement, or anticipation - rather, I immediately transitioned into worrying that I'd made the wrong choice and feeling sadness/regret about leaving my job and my home. I wanted to share that in case others were feeling the same; I think it's really normal. n=1, but I was super grumpy the summer before going to college for the same reasons (I'm sure my parents loved me); as soon as I matriculated, I immediately loved it. I suspect that this will be the same.

Best of luck for those who still need to decide - I know you're going to love wherever you decide to go.

#5059 sploosh, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    VAa, adb11, Globalguy1289 and 19 others like this.
  11. Cassatrass

Congrats on your decision!! :)

Since committing, I've been rotating between insanely happy/excited & stressed/worried too, so I'm glad someone else brought it up. I was (& still am) so excited to get out of the midwest, but now that I'm faced with the reality of the situation I'm incredibly worried to leave all my family and friends behind. ESPECIALLY when they all make it sound like I'm abandoning them when I tell them it will likely be much longer than the 2 years of my program since we aren't really planning to come back to our current area. I have to remind myself that this is what I want, it will help me grow as a person, and I'm chasing my dreams-- but it can be really hard.

I actually changed my mind mid-summer for college and went to a different school than I had committed to, which will forever remind me of my indecision haha.

12. guybrush

Wow, I probably would've lost my life savings if I had bet on your Columbia vs. UNC decision. Guess I'll see you in the fall! :)

skcolley, yurr_, JDGBruin1317 and 2 others like this.
  13. aethermist

For those who have committed to Columbia, can I pay the deposit with a credit card? Or is it a wire transfer type thing

14. phclarinetist

Non-Student
    After contacting 3 different people to get an update on the status of my application, today I finally got rejected from Berkeley for HPM. So I am certainly going to Boston University this fall. Thanks everyone for the information that they have provided on here!

15. JDGBruin1317

You two are definietly not alone in how you feel. I'm facing the similar nervous/regret/indecisiveness/stress feelings about my decision to defer my enrollment to next fall. I'm worried that I didn't make the right choice and that I should just take the plunge and go this fall, but I know I'm not in the right state of mind finaincially and emotionally (feeling anxious about moving across the country from my family and friends for the first time ever). I know I'm making the right choice for myself, but in the back of my mind, I'm still wondering if it really is the best choice for me.

At the end of the day, I'm glad to have gotten into my dream school at all and cannot wait to attend next fall! :D

Also, congrats to you both and everyone else! We're all going to be doing big things in these next few years! :clap::claps::highfive:

#5064 JDGBruin1317, Apr 9, 2018
    macko126, Noyce, sploosh and 4 others like this.
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. numbersloth

Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Pre-Medical
    Hi all! Does anyone know if there is a significant prestige/training difference between attending Michigan and Hopkins? Trying to make my final decision and still have no idea which to choose.

18. Noyce

I paid with my credit card.

Michelle Faux Fur likes this.
  19. aethermist

Great thanks!

20. Marisol562999

Other Health Professions Student
    Hello :) Can someone post some thoughts or message me their experience on Yale Open House Day.

Thank you!

#5068 Marisol562999, Apr 9, 2018
    n3t likes this.
  21. Dmohr21

Committed to Wisconsin due to affordability. I honestly cried when I denied Yale. But on the bright side, I got the best advisor in the department! He was a lead author for the UN IPCC when it won the Nobel! So that's cool, right?

langat211, macko126, Noyce and 12 others like this.
  22. tak1234

Committed to Minnesota!

There hasn't been much talk about Minnesota on here but I'm not sure that I understand why. I visited Tulane, Minnesota, and Michigan this past week and even though they were all clearly great schools, Minnesota really impressed me. I decided not to visit Emory just due to cost. Minnesota is so affordable and offers opportunities that would allow me to graduate with minimal debt. It was a no brainer!

macko126, TD2018, wwmmkk and 7 others like this.
  23. wanderlust-adventures

Honestly I think Minnesota has an absolutely amazing program. I did my public health undergrad there and loved every minute of it. The professors are really involved, the community is incredible and there are SO many opportunities for international experiences and unique internships in the non-profit and clinical world. Literally the only reason I turned down Minnesota is because I’ve been living here my entire life and I decided I would grow more by stepping out of my comfort zone for a few years. But ultimately I plan on coming back and think that anyone who chooses MN made an amazing choice :)

24. wanderlust-adventures

I’m still playing the waiting game with UCLA but just successfully got an extension granted up to April 27th to make my final decision from all of my programs!

Any folks planning on UNC or UCLA Health Policy Management out there... I’d love to hear what you love about these programs! I’m super excited about them both but would love to hear more about what makes other people love those schools :)

25. pa611

Excited (and terrified, of course) to announce that I've committed to the full-time MPH at Johns Hopkins! Thank you all for your support and companionship over the past many months. I'm looking forward to witnessing and collaborating on the incredibly important work you will do to create a healthier world.

babyjane, VAa, yurr_ and 10 others like this.
  26. numbersloth

Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Pre-Medical
    Still waiting on UCLA Epi. Assuming a rejection at this point.

27. CaliPenguin

Non-Student
    Thanks! That’s a really helpful perspective!

sploosh likes this.
  28. vodkaaunt

Finally paid my deposit for Michigan. I'm glad some of you have spoken about your anxiety about accepting offers since I feel a bunch too. I think Michigan is the right school for me, but I'm just having sudden doubts whether I should be leaving a job to go back to school! :eek: (Though I know a lot of my anxiety is very specific to this administration.)

For those still deciding I wish you all the best! And if next year's applicants are scouring this thread for information about the scholarship at Michigan like I did (or Michigan in general), I'll get an email if you PM me any questions here :)

PocketRocket86, Ebb55, yurr_ and 6 others like this.
  29. spacewitch

I'm *most likely* going to be committing to UCLA HPM this week! I attended Admit Day last Friday and they really sold the program to me. HPM is a pretty small cohort of students but they are really well connected. I think what I most liked about the program is that there's a really strong support system within HPM, the professors really want you to succeed and the students help each other. Apparently the students of HPM go on yearly vacations together which is really cute. The concentration also requires that you attend professional workshops and they have a really good matching program for summer internships within the area. If you have any other questions feel free to message me!

30. havvajava

For those of you attending Health Policy and Management programs, was it an important factor for your program to be CAHME (Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education) accredited as well? From the looks of it, CAHME mostly accredits MHA programs, however, I was accepted into one of the few MPH HPM programs that is both CEPH and CAHME accredited. Are MPH HPM programs that are not CAHME accredited comparable to Masters of Health Administration programs that are? In otherwords does your MPH HPM degree hold up to MHA degrees? How do yall feel about accreditation?

31. aethermist

Officially committing to Columbia!! I was just notified of a merit award which makes it the least expensive program of all my choices so far! I will be declining at Emory, NYU, and Yale after I get off work so I hope that helps someone out!

MEDLIFE6, NorCalMPH, Ebb55 and 11 others like this.
  32. skaballet

What type of computer is everyone taking to school? I'm assuming Apple is a bad idea since I'm sure they will work with all the stats programs.

Marisol562999 and Astaclover like this.
  33. Lissie6

Hey!

I don’t have a lot of time to go into detail but I went to Yale’s admitted students day last month and it was great! They started out with like a student mixer at a bar the night before and it really set a positive tone. All of the current students seemed like really good friends who were genuinely excited to be there. It could have just been the free food but they laid it on heavy and had a lot of energy. What really struck me though is that every single person I talked to had a research position and an impressive international summer internship. It could have just been that Yale only sent the truly involved people to impress us but there wasn’t anyone I spoke to who just did boring lab work.

Breakfast the next morning was a round table style where you could switch table to table for different conversations. Some were basic like financial aid and research opportunities and some were specific to department research like tech utilization in intervention strategies and anti microbial resistance. Some of the other admitted students were shy and quiet but most were engaged and seemed like they knew their **** and what they wanted from the program. I was actually a little intimidated, it seems like we’re in good company.
    The rest of the day was pretty standard. They did department lunches, so I went to EMD’s and was introduced to some faculty and existing students. They did a student panel where again everyone seemed incredibly involved and accomplished. They told us that finding these great summer positions took hustle but the name drop and the Yale email address took them a long way in addition to faculty connections. Dr. Ko gave a presentation on his research investigating emerging infectious diseases in slums. I was impressed because I literally found the program because I want to do the kind of research he does but I think it showed how relevant and dynamic faculty research is. Also he name dropped that he was old research buddies with Paul Farmer which definitely caught my attention. They finished with a walk through the old campus and a presentation about student life. Tbh I’m coming from Chicago so new haven seems small and not particularly exciting but it’s cute and there seems to be a nice community there. They finished up with a happy hour and I dipped early to go to the mixer specifically for LGBTQ and POC students, which ended up being super chill and ultimately sealed the deal for me. So I’ll be there in the fall!

Hope this helped!

34. SJC1028

I fell in love with Minnesota's program. I talked with multiple people in the program and was really impressed. I chose Michigan due to qualifying for in-state tuition and it being the more affordable option.

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  35. n3t

n3t

This was a major question of mine before I started my program! Turns out, it really does not matter. If you are a PC person and you are happy with that, great. The majority of programs are easily compatible with PCs. Some programs, like R, are compatible with Macs and PCs right away, so you should see what program your school is using most before making a decision. Some programs, such as SAS, are not directly compatible with Macs. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you can't make them work! For example, a lot of my peers run a program called "Parallels" on their Macs. This lets you partition your hard drive on a Mac to actually run Windows and MacOS, making SAS run perfectly. I have been using this option on my Mac and have been loving it. The one downside is that you need enough space on your computer available to run both Windows and MacOS, so definitely look into that. If you are buying a new Mac, you would want to make sure to choose a higher storage option. Higher RAM/memory (on both PCs and Macs) will also help run large data sets. My school also offers "Citrix," which allows Mac users to remotely use SAS over the internet which many students choose to use. Also, I am sure all schools have computer labs with the programs available for students. There are options for Mac users to make the statistical programs work.

Since I spent so long trying to decide if I should switch to a PC the summer before starting my program, I was surprised to see that the majority of students in my program have Macs. If you like Macs, I recommend looking into Parallels and seeing if you have enough space available to run it since, in my opinion, it offers the best of both worlds of running SAS (or another windows software) reliably while still having a Mac, which I personally prefer. You could also check in with your school's tech department to see if they offer a remote option like Citrix or to see if they have other specific recommendations.

In the end, get whichever you prefer. If you have no preference, a PC is the easiest option, but if you like Macs, you can definitely make it work. I'm an epi student taking lots of SAS heavy classes and I have been perfectly happy using my Mac.

#5083 n3t, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    PocketRocket86, r2b2, LG0331 and 2 others like this.
  36. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    My future plans are to attend medical school afterwards. So I am mainly using the MPH as a complementary degree to help me delve into clinical research and then, international medicine in the future. I guess, in that case, it might not be so important that I attend a top MPH school?

alexiabee2020 and Cici A like this.
  37. wwmmkk

I pretty much agree with everything @n3t said about the Mac/PC issue not being terribly important. If you strongly prefer or have lots of experience with one over the other, then stick with what you have. If you're buying a new one anyway, I would recommend a PC system over a Mac, though. SAS and STATA, two of the three programs my program teaches, run a little differently on Mac than on PC. The third, R, is the same but is only taught in the more advanced track of biostat courses or as an elective. It's not an insurmountable issue by any means, but the people I know with Macs are often a little inconvenienced by the extras they have to run to use those programs (or by having to come into the computer labs on campus for every assignment). I switched to a Surface a couple years before starting this program and after being a lifelong Mac user, and I don't foresee myself going back anytime soon.

38. Ebb55

Submitted deposit to Hopkins! I'm really glad I discovered this forum, you all have been amazing.

39. LG_MPHD

In at UMASS!
    Never in my life have I been 4/4 before but here I am.

CaliPenguin, cg2018, Ebb55 and 8 others like this.
  40. megarita

So in my heart I'm pretty set on Hopkins at this point, but I was put in touch with a woman with my dream job a few weeks ago and I emailed asking for her advice and she hasn't responded yet (I've already followed up too). So now I'm terrified I'll commit to Hopkins then she'll immediately send me an email going "don't do it!!!" So my decision making process at this point pretty much consists of hoping she'll email me back before April 15. :bang:

41. Natalie139

Does anyone have experience speaking with BU current students? I spoke with BUSPH alumni recently and they all felt lukewarm - while they were all working in the field at prestigious hospitals/universities, they felt like the over saturation of public health grads meant it was vital to go to an Ivy League or equivalent and BU’s ranking was artificially high, so much so that they encouraged me to wait and reapply until getting into Harvard, Columbia, or Yale (if staying on the East Coast). This has put me in a tailspin because I was almost certain that I preferred BU’s program the most out of the public health programs I applied to (mostly because of location - which was confirmed, the alumni all loved living in Boston).

42. skaballet

Thank you to both you and @n3t this information was very helpful and I'm sure helpful to others as well.

n3t likes this.
  43. wwmmkk

I know some current students and recent grads from BU who I think would corroborate that Boston is very over-saturated with public health students/recent grads and that BU's ranking is artificially high. The most common negative feedback I've heard from BU students is that the program is too big and it is easy to get lost in the crowd, though that doesn't really speak to any of your concerns. To make a possibly unfair generalization, I would add that people in Boston who did not attend Ivy League schools do have something of an inferiority complex as Harvard basically looms over everything in the city. This may contribute to the discrepancy between what the people you spoke to said and what their experience in the field at prestigious hospitals/universities shows.

If you feel BU is the best fit for you, then go and focus on getting the most out of it in terms of experience, skills, and network. I think those factors are ultimately more important than school reputation, which basically won't matter after you get your first job in the field. Ultimately, you need to decide what the most important factors in school choice are for you and what advice from others you are going to take and leave.

44. alexiabee2020

I have the same plan but for me, I am attending a top school as a believe it will help me with the path to med school. Also, the school I have picked is where I want to attend medical school if I can!

JDGBruin1317, Cici A and yurr_ like this.
  45. phclarinetist

Non-Student
    Y'all ain't making me feel good about my decision to go to BU. I did get into Columbia, but I ended up choosing BU because of them having the program I really liked, financial aid, and location. Since I am from North Carolina, I am surely not set in looking to stay in Boston which seems to be what a lot of these alumni are doing. At the end of the day, the school where you got your degree from can be important for some jobs like consulting (who probably hire a lot of Harvard grads), but it's more so about networking and experience. I didn't network enough in undergrad, so that is something I am going to change when I start my program. There are many job opportunities in not just Boston, but also DC and even North Carolina, so it's going to vary depending on where you are looking for jobs.

lala12345, JDGBruin1317 and wwmmkk like this.
  46. ShuG

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for all your help, support and encouragement. I’ve been following this thread for a while now, and you all have been incredible! I’ve been accepted for the accelerated MPH programs at Hopkins, Yale, Columbia and the MCH program at GW. I’ve just paid my deposit for the General Public Health track at Columbia. Hope to meet all those who’ve chosen Columbia in the fall!

Thanks and good luck everyone :)

47. Marisol562999

Hello,

I have made my decision, and after a difficult process, some pros and cons list, I have decided to attend UW COPHP program this fall. I know there are a few of you who will also be attending. Feel free to reach out to me :)

In the end Seattle and UW are:

a) West Coast = Best Coast
    b) Different from my current experiences, but still social justice oriented.
    c) Similar to the YAY area where I went to school.
    d) More opportunities for future funding than other schools.
    e) Close enough to visit my family if needed(Socal) or my sister in Sacramento.

I felt that Yale, just didn't make enough of an effort to deserve me. 70,000 dollars in debt when I make less than 10,000 a year right now, it just doesn't make sense. Anyway, good luck, and this forum has been great:)

#5095 Marisol562999, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    r2b2, yurr_, PBH2018 and 11 others like this.
  48. hoosier1995

For those who've paid their deposit for Michigan, can you use a credit card? Thanks!

49. pugluvr57

Still waiting on response from Berkeley even after contacting admissions :( anyone else? Or has anyone received a rejection from them?

fwm88 likes this.
  50. vodkaaunt

Yes you can.

hoosier1995 likes this.
  51. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know anything about the Northwestern 1 year MPH? Is it well-recognized or just another one of those "add on a degree" sort of program?

Natalie139 likes this.
  52. LG_MPHD

I’m committing to NYU and declining at UMASS, Northwestern, and UVM.

Hopefully, I’ll see some of you on the PHD forum in a few years :)

fwm88, Dmohr21, macko126 and 8 others like this.