MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who have committed to Columbia, can I pay the deposit with a credit card? Or is it a wire transfer type thing

I paid with my credit card.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello :) Can someone post some thoughts or message me their experience on Yale Open House Day.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Committed to Wisconsin due to affordability. I honestly cried when I denied Yale. But on the bright side, I got the best advisor in the department! He was a lead author for the UN IPCC when it won the Nobel! So that's cool, right?

Reactions: 14 users
Committed to Minnesota!

There hasn't been much talk about Minnesota on here but I'm not sure that I understand why. I visited Tulane, Minnesota, and Michigan this past week and even though they were all clearly great schools, Minnesota really impressed me. I decided not to visit Emory just due to cost. Minnesota is so affordable and offers opportunities that would allow me to graduate with minimal debt. It was a no brainer!

Reactions: 9 users
Committed to Minnesota!

There hasn't been much talk about Minnesota on here but I'm not sure that I understand why. I visited Tulane, Minnesota, and Michigan this past week and even though they were all clearly great schools, Minnesota really impressed me. I decided not to visit Emory just due to cost. Minnesota is so affordable and offers opportunities that would allow me to graduate with minimal debt. It was a no brainer!

Honestly I think Minnesota has an absolutely amazing program. I did my public health undergrad there and loved every minute of it. The professors are really involved, the community is incredible and there are SO many opportunities for international experiences and unique internships in the non-profit and clinical world. Literally the only reason I turned down Minnesota is because I’ve been living here my entire life and I decided I would grow more by stepping out of my comfort zone for a few years. But ultimately I plan on coming back and think that anyone who chooses MN made an amazing choice :)

Reactions: 3 users
I’m still playing the waiting game with UCLA but just successfully got an extension granted up to April 27th to make my final decision from all of my programs!

Any folks planning on UNC or UCLA Health Policy Management out there... I’d love to hear what you love about these programs! I’m super excited about them both but would love to hear more about what makes other people love those schools :)

Excited (and terrified, of course) to announce that I've committed to the full-time MPH at Johns Hopkins! Thank you all for your support and companionship over the past many months. I'm looking forward to witnessing and collaborating on the incredibly important work you will do to create a healthier world.

Reactions: 12 users
I’m still playing the waiting game with UCLA but just successfully got an extension granted up to April 27th to make my final decision from all of my programs!

Any folks planning on UNC or UCLA Health Policy Management out there... I’d love to hear what you love about these programs! I’m super excited about them both but would love to hear more about what makes other people love those schools :)
Still waiting on UCLA Epi. Assuming a rejection at this point.

Re: the research vs. practice part, you'll be fine at either Harvard or UNC. While they are both research heavy, they're also well-resourced schools with plenty of other opportunities too. Just keep focused on your particular goals rather than what the program/your peers might be pushing-- take a part time job at a community-based organization instead of going for research assistantships; choose classes that focus on professional skills (data analysis, program evaluation, communications, etc.) instead of research skills; get a good summer internship, etc. I feel like getting professional skills at a research focused institution is easier than the other way around so long as you put a little effort into finding the opportunities.

Thanks! That’s a really helpful perspective!

Finally paid my deposit for Michigan. I'm glad some of you have spoken about your anxiety about accepting offers since I feel a bunch too. I think Michigan is the right school for me, but I'm just having sudden doubts whether I should be leaving a job to go back to school! :eek: (Though I know a lot of my anxiety is very specific to this administration.)

For those still deciding I wish you all the best! And if next year's applicants are scouring this thread for information about the scholarship at Michigan like I did (or Michigan in general), I'll get an email if you PM me any questions here :)

Reactions: 8 users

I'm *most likely* going to be committing to UCLA HPM this week! I attended Admit Day last Friday and they really sold the program to me. HPM is a pretty small cohort of students but they are really well connected. I think what I most liked about the program is that there's a really strong support system within HPM, the professors really want you to succeed and the students help each other. Apparently the students of HPM go on yearly vacations together which is really cute. The concentration also requires that you attend professional workshops and they have a really good matching program for summer internships within the area. If you have any other questions feel free to message me!

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you attending Health Policy and Management programs, was it an important factor for your program to be CAHME (Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education) accredited as well? From the looks of it, CAHME mostly accredits MHA programs, however, I was accepted into one of the few MPH HPM programs that is both CEPH and CAHME accredited. Are MPH HPM programs that are not CAHME accredited comparable to Masters of Health Administration programs that are? In otherwords does your MPH HPM degree hold up to MHA degrees? How do yall feel about accreditation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Officially committing to Columbia!! I was just notified of a merit award which makes it the least expensive program of all my choices so far! I will be declining at Emory, NYU, and Yale after I get off work so I hope that helps someone out!

Reactions: 13 users
What type of computer is everyone taking to school? I'm assuming Apple is a bad idea since I'm sure they will work with all the stats programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello :) Can someone post some thoughts or message me their experience on Yale Open House Day.

Thank you!
Hey!

I don’t have a lot of time to go into detail but I went to Yale’s admitted students day last month and it was great! They started out with like a student mixer at a bar the night before and it really set a positive tone. All of the current students seemed like really good friends who were genuinely excited to be there. It could have just been the free food but they laid it on heavy and had a lot of energy. What really struck me though is that every single person I talked to had a research position and an impressive international summer internship. It could have just been that Yale only sent the truly involved people to impress us but there wasn’t anyone I spoke to who just did boring lab work.

Breakfast the next morning was a round table style where you could switch table to table for different conversations. Some were basic like financial aid and research opportunities and some were specific to department research like tech utilization in intervention strategies and anti microbial resistance. Some of the other admitted students were shy and quiet but most were engaged and seemed like they knew their **** and what they wanted from the program. I was actually a little intimidated, it seems like we’re in good company.
The rest of the day was pretty standard. They did department lunches, so I went to EMD’s and was introduced to some faculty and existing students. They did a student panel where again everyone seemed incredibly involved and accomplished. They told us that finding these great summer positions took hustle but the name drop and the Yale email address took them a long way in addition to faculty connections. Dr. Ko gave a presentation on his research investigating emerging infectious diseases in slums. I was impressed because I literally found the program because I want to do the kind of research he does but I think it showed how relevant and dynamic faculty research is. Also he name dropped that he was old research buddies with Paul Farmer which definitely caught my attention. They finished with a walk through the old campus and a presentation about student life. Tbh I’m coming from Chicago so new haven seems small and not particularly exciting but it’s cute and there seems to be a nice community there. They finished up with a happy hour and I dipped early to go to the mixer specifically for LGBTQ and POC students, which ended up being super chill and ultimately sealed the deal for me. So I’ll be there in the fall!

Hope this helped!

Reactions: 8 users
Committed to Minnesota!

There hasn't been much talk about Minnesota on here but I'
m not sure that I understand why. I visited Tulane, Minnesota, and Michigan this past week and even though they were all clearly great schools, Minnesota really impressed me. I decided not to visit Emory just due to cost. Minnesota is so affordable and offers opportunities that would allow me to graduate with minimal debt. It was a no brainer!

I fell in love with Minnesota's program. I talked with multiple people in the program and was really impressed. I chose Michigan due to qualifying for in-state tuition and it being the more affordable option.

What type of computer is everyone taking to school? I'm assuming Apple is a bad idea since I'm sure they will work with all the stats programs.
This was a major question of mine before I started my program! Turns out, it really does not matter. If you are a PC person and you are happy with that, great. The majority of programs are easily compatible with PCs. Some programs, like R, are compatible with Macs and PCs right away, so you should see what program your school is using most before making a decision. Some programs, such as SAS, are not directly compatible with Macs. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you can't make them work! For example, a lot of my peers run a program called "Parallels" on their Macs. This lets you partition your hard drive on a Mac to actually run Windows and MacOS, making SAS run perfectly. I have been using this option on my Mac and have been loving it. The one downside is that you need enough space on your computer available to run both Windows and MacOS, so definitely look into that. If you are buying a new Mac, you would want to make sure to choose a higher storage option. Higher RAM/memory (on both PCs and Macs) will also help run large data sets. My school also offers "Citrix," which allows Mac users to remotely use SAS over the internet which many students choose to use. Also, I am sure all schools have computer labs with the programs available for students. There are options for Mac users to make the statistical programs work.

Since I spent so long trying to decide if I should switch to a PC the summer before starting my program, I was surprised to see that the majority of students in my program have Macs. If you like Macs, I recommend looking into Parallels and seeing if you have enough space available to run it since, in my opinion, it offers the best of both worlds of running SAS (or another windows software) reliably while still having a Mac, which I personally prefer. You could also check in with your school's tech department to see if they offer a remote option like Citrix or to see if they have other specific recommendations.

In the end, get whichever you prefer. If you have no preference, a PC is the easiest option, but if you like Macs, you can definitely make it work. I'm an epi student taking lots of SAS heavy classes and I have been perfectly happy using my Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
From what I know, your work experience and skills are just as, if not more important than where you got your degree. That matters because that'll help build up a network of connections where you can find work, but I don't think GW's name will hold you back as long as you pursue your opportunities there and do the right networking. Quick note that this may also be affected by what your future plans are (i.e. do you want to work in private vs. public sector, pursuing a PhD, etc).

My future plans are to attend medical school afterwards. So I am mainly using the MPH as a complementary degree to help me delve into clinical research and then, international medicine in the future. I guess, in that case, it might not be so important that I attend a top MPH school?

I pretty much agree with everything @n3t said about the Mac/PC issue not being terribly important. If you strongly prefer or have lots of experience with one over the other, then stick with what you have. If you're buying a new one anyway, I would recommend a PC system over a Mac, though. SAS and STATA, two of the three programs my program teaches, run a little differently on Mac than on PC. The third, R, is the same but is only taught in the more advanced track of biostat courses or as an elective. It's not an insurmountable issue by any means, but the people I know with Macs are often a little inconvenienced by the extras they have to run to use those programs (or by having to come into the computer labs on campus for every assignment). I switched to a Surface a couple years before starting this program and after being a lifelong Mac user, and I don't foresee myself going back anytime soon.

Reactions: 7 users
Submitted deposit to Hopkins! I'm really glad I discovered this forum, you all have been amazing.

Reactions: 10 users
In at UMASS!
Never in my life have I been 4/4 before but here I am.

So in my heart I'm pretty set on Hopkins at this point, but I was put in touch with a woman with my dream job a few weeks ago and I emailed asking for her advice and she hasn't responded yet (I've already followed up too). So now I'm terrified I'll commit to Hopkins then she'll immediately send me an email going "don't do it!!!" So my decision making process at this point pretty much consists of hoping she'll email me back before April 15. :bang:

Does anyone have experience speaking with BU current students? I spoke with BUSPH alumni recently and they all felt lukewarm - while they were all working in the field at prestigious hospitals/universities, they felt like the over saturation of public health grads meant it was vital to go to an Ivy League or equivalent and BU’s ranking was artificially high, so much so that they encouraged me to wait and reapply until getting into Harvard, Columbia, or Yale (if staying on the East Coast). This has put me in a tailspin because I was almost certain that I preferred BU’s program the most out of the public health programs I applied to (mostly because of location - which was confirmed, the alumni all loved living in Boston).

I pretty much agree with everything @n3t said about the Mac/PC issue not being terribly important. If you strongly prefer or have lots of experience with one over the other, then stick with what you have. If you're buying a new one anyway, I would recommend a PC system over a Mac, though. SAS and STATA, two of the three programs my program teaches, run a little differently on Mac than on PC. The third, R, is the same but is only taught in the more advanced track of biostat courses or as an elective. It's not an insurmountable issue by any means, but the people I know with Macs are often a little inconvenienced by the extras they have to run to use those programs (or by having to come into the computer labs on campus for every assignment). I switched to a Surface a couple years before starting this program and after being a lifelong Mac user, and I don't foresee myself going back anytime soon.

Thank you to both you and @n3t this information was very helpful and I'm sure helpful to others as well.

Does anyone have experience speaking with BU current students? I spoke with BUSPH alumni recently and they all felt lukewarm - while they were all working in the field at prestigious hospitals/universities, they felt like the over saturation of public health grads meant it was vital to go to an Ivy League or equivalent and BU’s ranking was artificially high, so much so that they encouraged me to wait and reapply until getting into Harvard, Columbia, or Yale (if staying on the East Coast). This has put me in a tailspin because I was almost certain that I preferred BU’s program the most out of the public health programs I applied to (mostly because of location - which was confirmed, the alumni all loved living in Boston).
I know some current students and recent grads from BU who I think would corroborate that Boston is very over-saturated with public health students/recent grads and that BU's ranking is artificially high. The most common negative feedback I've heard from BU students is that the program is too big and it is easy to get lost in the crowd, though that doesn't really speak to any of your concerns. To make a possibly unfair generalization, I would add that people in Boston who did not attend Ivy League schools do have something of an inferiority complex as Harvard basically looms over everything in the city. This may contribute to the discrepancy between what the people you spoke to said and what their experience in the field at prestigious hospitals/universities shows.

If you feel BU is the best fit for you, then go and focus on getting the most out of it in terms of experience, skills, and network. I think those factors are ultimately more important than school reputation, which basically won't matter after you get your first job in the field. Ultimately, you need to decide what the most important factors in school choice are for you and what advice from others you are going to take and leave.

Reactions: 4 users
My future plans are to attend medical school afterwards. So I am mainly using the MPH as a complementary degree to help me delve into clinical research and then, international medicine in the future. I guess, in that case, it might not be so important that I attend a top MPH school?
I have the same plan but for me, I am attending a top school as a believe it will help me with the path to med school. Also, the school I have picked is where I want to attend medical school if I can!

I know some current students and recent grads from BU who I think would corroborate that Boston is very over-saturated with public health students/recent grads and that BU's ranking is artificially high. The most common negative feedback I've heard from BU students is that the program is too big and it is easy to get lost in the crowd, though that doesn't really speak to any of your concerns. To make a possibly unfair generalization, I would add that people in Boston who did not attend Ivy League schools do have something of an inferiority complex as Harvard basically looms over everything in the city. This may contribute to the discrepancy between what the people you spoke to said and what their experience in the field at prestigious hospitals/universities shows.

If you feel BU is the best fit for you, then go and focus on getting the most out of it in terms of experience, skills, and network. I think those factors are ultimately more important than school reputation, which basically won't matter after you get your first job in the field. Ultimately, you need to decide what the most important factors in school choice are for you and what advice from others you are going to take and leave.

Y'all ain't making me feel good about my decision to go to BU. I did get into Columbia, but I ended up choosing BU because of them having the program I really liked, financial aid, and location. Since I am from North Carolina, I am surely not set in looking to stay in Boston which seems to be what a lot of these alumni are doing. At the end of the day, the school where you got your degree from can be important for some jobs like consulting (who probably hire a lot of Harvard grads), but it's more so about networking and experience. I didn't network enough in undergrad, so that is something I am going to change when I start my program. There are many job opportunities in not just Boston, but also DC and even North Carolina, so it's going to vary depending on where you are looking for jobs.

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for all your help, support and encouragement. I’ve been following this thread for a while now, and you all have been incredible! I’ve been accepted for the accelerated MPH programs at Hopkins, Yale, Columbia and the MCH program at GW. I’ve just paid my deposit for the General Public Health track at Columbia. Hope to meet all those who’ve chosen Columbia in the fall!

Thanks and good luck everyone :)

Hello,

I have made my decision, and after a difficult process, some pros and cons list, I have decided to attend UW COPHP program this fall. I know there are a few of you who will also be attending. Feel free to reach out to me :)

In the end Seattle and UW are:

a) West Coast = Best Coast
b) Different from my current experiences, but still social justice oriented.
c) Similar to the YAY area where I went to school.
d) More opportunities for future funding than other schools.
e) Close enough to visit my family if needed(Socal) or my sister in Sacramento.

I felt that Yale, just didn't make enough of an effort to deserve me. 70,000 dollars in debt when I make less than 10,000 a year right now, it just doesn't make sense. Anyway, good luck, and this forum has been great:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
For those who've paid their deposit for Michigan, can you use a credit card? Thanks!

Still waiting on response from Berkeley even after contacting admissions :( anyone else? Or has anyone received a rejection from them?

Does anyone know anything about the Northwestern 1 year MPH? Is it well-recognized or just another one of those "add on a degree" sort of program?

I’m committing to NYU and declining at UMASS, Northwestern, and UVM.

Hopefully, I’ll see some of you on the PHD forum in a few years :)

Y'all ain't making me feel good about my decision to go to BU. I did get into Columbia, but I ended up choosing BU because of them having the program I really liked, financial aid, and location. Since I am from North Carolina, I am surely not set in looking to stay in Boston which seems to be what a lot of these alumni are doing. At the end of the day, the school where you got your degree from can be important for some jobs like consulting (who probably hire a lot of Harvard grads), but it's more so about networking and experience. I didn't network enough in undergrad, so that is something I am going to change when I start my program. There are many job opportunities in not just Boston, but also DC and even North Carolina, so it's going to vary depending on where you are looking for jobs.
I thought about not saying anything precisely for this reason-- not wanting to worry people who have already committed to BU. I did anyway because I feel like knowing a program's strengths and flaws (which they all have; public health education is a pretty flawed system IMO, and opinions on what is a flaw vs. strength are obviously subjective) before going in is important. It sounds like BU was the best choice for you and that you are prepared to make the most of it.

Reactions: 5 users
This might be a ridiculous question, but does anyone know how to accept BU's offer? They never gave me username for a portal to log in.

I put down my $600 (!!) deposit for Johns Hopkins but for some reason I am now more stressed than ever. Why do I keep thinking about Emory? Is anyone else feeling oddly stressed about having made the wrong decision? I feel like there is no "wrong decision", and I keep telling myself this, but for some reason I can't stop thinking... what if?

Reactions: 11 users
I put down my $600 (!!) deposit for Johns Hopkins but for some reason I am now more stressed than ever. Why do I keep thinking about Emory? Is anyone else feeling oddly stressed about having made the wrong decision? I feel like there is no "wrong decision", and I keep telling myself this, but for some reason I can't stop thinking... what if?
I think it's common to feel like this to an extent. But, assuming you made the decision based on all the factors that are most important to you, you should hopefully be able to re-convince yourself. :)

Reactions: 5 users

Can you two provide some more explanation as to why you think BU's ranking is artificially high and what may be contributing to that?

This might be a ridiculous question, but does anyone know how to accept BU's offer? They never gave me username for a portal to log in.
It's the same link as the supplemental application portion! Search "invites you to take the next step with your application" and you should be able to log in and accept/decline your offer.

Committed to Vanderbilt for Global Health!! Thanks you all for the support and advice!! :highfive:

Yes! I committed to a state school due to price and keep wondering if I made the wrong decision. It'll all work out in the end though.

Committed to Vanderbilt for Global Health!! Thanks you all for the support and advice!! :highfive:

That's awesome! Congrats! Would you be comfortable sharing what factors resulted in you choosing Vandy? I'm also in the Global Health track and am trying to decide between Emory and Vanderbilt :) Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know anything about the Northwestern 1 year MPH? Is it well-recognized or just another one of those "add on a degree" sort of program?

It wasn’t offered to anyone who wasn’t at their medical school or without a prior masters/health centered degree until some years ago. If you’re looking to get to Chicago, UIC’s program is cheaper and a lot more recognized.

Can you two provide some more explanation as to why you think BU's ranking is artificially high and what may be contributing to that?

I want to preface this with a couple things:
(1) If you look through enough posts on this forum, you will notice that there are some very frequent posters who clearly have a vendetta against BU. For some reason, BU comes under far more scrutiny than any other school on this site. I am not sure this scrutiny reflects actual problems with the school.
(2) I know little about BU aside from what I have heard from friends who go/went there. I did not consider their program when I was applying because of their size and cost. I did not know at the time about their generous scholarship packages. My overall personal evaluation of BU is that it offers a strong, structured program with some unique certificate options, it straddles the research/practice line, and it is highly regarded in the field, though not as much as Harvard/JHU/etc.

But to answer your question-- I think their rankings are artificially high because of the peer review methodology US News uses. I think a lot of BU's name recognition is because of its size. They have a large number of graduates, researchers, publications, etc., which makes it statistically more likely that someone reviewing their program has had multiple favorable impressions of the school compared to smaller schools. However, program size does not necessarily reflect a higher quality education, which is why I think there are many smaller programs that are unranked or ranked artificially low in US News. I think BU's location helps as there are more public health programs on the east coast than anywhere else in the country. Institutions participating in the review process are likely to know more about BU's programming than more distant institutions because of geographical proximity, and as a consequence rank BU higher. Finally, I think the US News rankings tend to privilege schools that are solid in all disciplines of public health (epi, behavioral, policy, global, biostat, enviro, etc.) over schools that have built very strong programs in one or two disciplines. My understanding is that BU falls into the former category.

tl;dr: Rankings don't tell you very much about schools. BU's are perhaps higher than deserved because of the methodology used and not any factors inherent to the school.

It wasn’t offered to anyone who wasn’t at their medical school or without a prior masters/health centered degree until some years ago. If you’re looking to get to Chicago, UIC’s program is cheaper and a lot more recognized.

I see, thank you! Why would you say UIC is more recognized when Northwestern's name is general is more well-known across the country?

That's awesome! Congrats! Would you be comfortable sharing what factors resulted in you choosing Vandy? I'm also in the Global Health track and am trying to decide between Emory and Vanderbilt :) Thanks in advance!
Yeah! I was between Emory and Vandy too. Basically it came down to visiting both schools. Emory was impressive, but the faculty and students at Vandy went out of their way to help me. I also am a fan of the smaller class sizes and the layout of the curriculum. Nashville is also an exciting city that reminds me a lot of my home in Raleigh!

But to answer your question-- I think their rankings are artificially high because of the peer review methodology US News uses.

Many thanks for the thorough and thoughtful response!

Ok I am between Emory, and Yale. Emory is cheaper but Yale has a better chronic disease epi program. Both have faculty I would like to research with. Wherever I choose, I will be on a track to do clinical research, so I don't know which one is better for that. Which should I choose!!? If anyone has any insight or is in the same boat, I would love to hear. Thanks!