MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's awesome! Congrats! Would you be comfortable sharing what factors resulted in you choosing Vandy? I'm also in the Global Health track and am trying to decide between Emory and Vanderbilt :) Thanks in advance!

Yeah! I was between Emory and Vandy too. Basically it came down to visiting both schools. Emory was impressive, but the faculty and students at Vandy went out of their way to help me. I also am a fan of the smaller class sizes and the layout of the curriculum. Nashville is also an exciting city that reminds me a lot of my home in Raleigh!
Though I'm epi with a global focus, which is definitely different than global health, I was also considering Vandy and can speak to it vs Emory. Vanderbilt definitely has a wealth of opportunities on campus-- which is very nice for getting a job to help pay for things during school. However, they do have a lot of MDs in the program, so a lot of their in-class examples will use medical terminology and be very specific. Overall, I felt like Emory had a wealth of global health experiences and a very strong network (partly because the program is so big) and would be better for people wanting to go into practice-based public health. Plus, I'm not sure exactly what I want to go into, so I think that having a wide array of projects and opportunities around me at all times will be beneficial to me-- which didn't seem to be as common at Vanderbilt.

Both great programs-- but VERY different.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone that was accepted to GWU tell me how good or bad their financial aid package was compared to other schools? Thank you :)

Can someone that was accepted to GWU tell me how good or bad their financial aid package was compared to other schools? Thank you :)

I only applied to a few schools, so this might not be too representative. But I found that GWU's merit package to be great. They basically cover full tuition if you get above 325 on the GRE and the next scholarship is $30,000, $15000 and so on. I received the second package, but it's still cheaper compared to the other schools for me.

Also, GWU said that if you retake the GRE, do much better and send in the scores in May, they can update their scholarship offer to give you more money.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I only applied to a few schools, so this might not be too representative. But I found that GWU's merit package to be great. They basically cover full tuition if you get above 325 on the GRE and the next scholarship is $30,000, $15000 and so on. I received the second package, but it's still cheaper compared to the other schools for me.

Also, GWU said that if you retake the GRE, do much better and send in the scores in May, they can update their scholarship offer to give you more money.
I scored a 328 on the GRE and only received $7500 from GW. I had a low-ish GPA though (from GW lol)

Reactions: 1 user
I scored a 328 on the GRE and only received $7500 from GW. I had a low-ish GPA though (from GW lol)

Oh yes, I forgot about the GPA. There is a GPA requirement for them too unfortunately. I believe you have to have 3.8 GPA and 325+ to get the full tuition award. Last year, they used to give 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% tuition awards but they changed it this year so that the top two awards are only 50% and 100% :(

Still waiting on response from Berkeley even after contacting admissions :( anyone else? Or has anyone received a rejection from them?

For undergraduate I seem to remember Berkeley did not send rejections. But I know undergraduate can be a whole different ballgame.

Finally accepted my offer at Hopkins!

In the end the deciding factors for me were 1) being so impressed with the faculty and excited to get involved with their research in combination with how accessible they were and 2) the quarter system and freedom the second year to take more advanced epi and infectious disease courses without sacrificing the global health lens like I would have had to for a MS program.

So so so excited!! I'm not sure if anyone else here is planning on attending Hopkins for GDEC, but if so definitely let me know!

Reactions: 9 users
Finally accepted my offer at Hopkins!

In the end the deciding factors for me were 1) being so impressed with the faculty and excited to get involved with their research in combination with how accessible they were and 2) the quarter system and freedom the second year to take more advanced epi and infectious disease courses without sacrificing the global health lens like I would have had to for a MS program.

So so so excited!! I'm not sure if anyone else here is planning on attending Hopkins for GDEC, but if so definitely let me know!
Congratulations!!
I’m not planning on attending JHU but I feel like there’s not enough talk on here about the quarter/semester system and since you brought us up as a pro, do you think you (or anyone else) can explain the difference a little more and some pros and cons? I’d really appreciate it, thanks!

I see, thank you! Why would you say UIC is more recognized when Northwestern's name is general is more well-known across the country?

The work UIC does in the community is widely regarded, with the MPH being well-respected. I can’t speak for outside of Chicago, but if you want to be involved in urban health, UIC is a great place to go. Northwestern, while respected for its own merits, does not have a stand alone school of public health, and most people would be surprised to know they teach public health at all (I know I was, and I’ve lived in Chicago all my life).

As a side note, I once had a conversation with an admissions person at Northwestern tell me that because of the high cost of the Northwestern degree I would be better off taking as many credits as I could transfer into Northwestern at UIC, which would be just as if not more rigorous, but that I could end up with the Northwestern name on my degree at the end.

Congratulations!!
I’m not planning on attending JHU but I feel like there’s not enough talk on here about the quarter/semester system and since you brought us up as a pro, do you think you (or anyone else) can explain the difference a little more and some pros and cons? I’d really appreciate it, thanks!
I definitely think the quarter system is usually brought up as a con on this forum haha. The students I spoke to at Hopkins said it can definitely be intense, and a little overwhelming if that’s not the kind of experience you want. However it gives you the option to take more courses than you normally would, which will let you specialize more depending on your program, and I was looking for a more involved and intense experience.

Congratulations!!
My undergrad was on the quarter system. It normally is seen as a negative because of the fast pace and how close together midterms and final exams are. I eventually got used to it, however, since I'll be attending a school with the semester system, I don't know what to expect. Lol :p

For those who have gone to semester schools, what are the pros? Any cons?

My undergrad was on the quarter system. It normally is seen as a negative because of the fast pace and how close together midterms and final exams are. I eventually got used to it, however, since I'll be attending a school with the semester system, I don't know what to expect. Lol :p

For those who have gone to semester schools, what are the pros? Any cons?
I've experienced both. While I can adjust fine to the quarter system, I prefer the semester system. I think the longer format allows for a deeper and more complex exploration of topics that are sometimes just glanced over in quarter system classes. Also, classes on the semester system are more likely to use multiple assessments (2 midterms + final, or ongoing project + final, or multiple ongoing projects) because everyone has more time to complete/grade them. This means if you bomb something, it's easier to make up for it by doing well in other aspects. The only real con of the semester system for me was that if you don't like a class, it reaaaally drags on-- especially if the class feels too easy or too hard. Professor quality becomes more important for the same reason too. You don't want to spend 4+ months working for a professor you don't jive with.

Reactions: 4 users
Just submitted my deposit for Emory! After a successful financial aid appeal and Visit Emory, my choice was pretty clear :clap:
Huge thanks to this forum for being a supportive and helpful place to turn to!

Now that the "which school should I go to" stress is over, it's time for "now I need to figure out how I'm moving a few states away" stress to start lol

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was also accepted to the MS Global at UCSF. But from my understanding, they do not offer any scholarships right other than need-based aid? Are you planning on joining their program?

Hi! That was also my understanding from conversations with them. I think they have some departmental grants available, but it'd be 3rd party funding you. I am actually not planning on joining the program after all. I didn't feel like I'd be fulfilled by the program being just 1 year and because the curriculum is restricted (ironically, since it's global health!). I want a more comprehensive program where I can move between departments through classes.

Thank you! Awesome to hear that you loved it. I leave tomorrow for NY, so I would love to learn more. Messaging you now!
I also visited during admitted student day and had a really positive experience with the professors and current students! I'm in PopFam if that's helpful, feel free to reach out as well!

Still waiting on response from Berkeley even after contacting admissions :( anyone else? Or has anyone received a rejection from them?
Me too! I called and emailed this week and their response was that students who applied the 2nd round won't know until May 1st. I didn't receive an answer otherwise.

After seeing some people mention here and in another forum making last ditch efforts for scholarships, I'm going to try with Columbia. Does somebody have a draft of how to approach this with the department? (my arguments would be a large move-west coast to east coast, financial burden supporting myself - who doesn't?!, and having retired parents so no family contributions are expected).

Just submitted my deposit for Emory! After a successful financial aid appeal and Visit Emory, my choice was pretty clear :clap:
Huge thanks to this forum for being a supportive and helpful place to turn to!

Now that the "which school should I go to" stress is over, it's time for "now I need to figure out how I'm moving a few states away" stress to start lol

Congratulations!! So exciting! How did you go about your appeal? Is there a specific process or did you just email?

Congratulations!! So exciting! How did you go about your appeal? Is there a specific process or did you just email?
Thank you! I talked to my advisor at Visit Emory about my competitive offers from other programs, how I felt Emory was the best fit for me, and how financial aid would play a huge role in my final decision. I also filled out the appeal form. RSPH Financial Aid Appeal Form
Good luck with the appeal and your final decisions!

I feel ridiculous asking this but does the April 15 deadline mean decisions must be logged on Saturday or by the end of Sunday? I’d really like to take until Sunday evening.

I've decided on LSHTM!! I know it may seem a little odd to turn down Yale, but it was the right choice for me. For starters, it's a one year program instead of a two year program. Given that tuition is about $32,200 (£22,600), it's definitely cheaper at face value than schools in the US (unless you get an amazing merit scholarship--which I did not! Lol). Even factoring in living in the various cities (yes, London is expensive), I will *only* be $50,000 in debt after competing my MSc compared to $110,000 if I did my MPH at Yale. Plus I honestly just like the curriculum better. There aren't quite as many basic core classes, which is great for me, since I graduate in May with a BS in public health and have already taken many of the introductory public health courses. There's also a huge variety of elective classes that interest me (Conflict and Health, Tropical Environmental Health, and Designing Disease Control Programmes in Developing Countries to name a few). With research, there's SO MANY research centers and programs to choose from. I'm really interested in the relationship between conflict, environment, and health, so I'm excited about the WASH research and Health in Humanitarian Crises research teams that LSHTM has. LSHTM is also number one in the world (US News and World Report-- take it for what you will) for public health international collaboration, which is appealing to me, as I'd love to one day work for an international agency like the IRC. In terms of location, I'm super pumped to move to London. It's one of my favorite cities, and realistically speaking, being interested in environmental health also motivated me to look outside the US due to the current political climate.

TL;DR: I'm going to LSHTM instead of to Yale for cost, curriculum, research centers, international collaboration, my love of London, and the political climate in the US.

Best of luck to everyone else making their decisions! I believe in you! You will find the perfect place for you, and you will be super successful!

Reactions: 11 users
I also visited during admitted student day and had a really positive experience with the professors and current students! I'm in PopFam if that's helpful, feel free to reach out as well!
Thank you! I just returned from my super last minute visit, which was wonderful beyond what I expected. Here’s to tough decisions! Best of luck all!

Hi~ Really need your advice! I am struggling between two programs: MPH at UMich and MPH at Brown. For UMich, it's really a high ranked program in public health, and people around me all appreciate the great academic reputation of the university. Apart from that, I guess that it won't be difficult if I would like to find summer internship positions at UMich because of the huge health system of the university(I really want to study on patient decision issues, so workplace like hospitals would be more suitable). Living cost there is pretty low, and I heard that the public transportation at Ann Arbor could be really convenient.

For Brown, the Ivy brand is definitely an advantage, and there's also 25% tuition off of the first year. What I worry about it is that the program is really small (about 50 in the whole MPH program I guess?), so there will be even fewer people who choose the Health Service concentration, which I would like to choose in the spring semester. For UMich each year, MPH in health policy track is about 35, which I think would be a better class size, so that there would be a larger chance that I can communicate with those who are interested in the same public health topics as me.

I don't plan to pursue a PHD degree at present, and want to find a job in Singapore after graduation, get some work experience before I go back to China. So is there any advice on my decision? I would really like to know whether there is a big difference between the reputation of Brown and UMich in the labor market outside US.

Hi all.

I have decided to turn down offers at Columbia and JHU. I never thought I would turn down such great schools but ultimately as an international student with extremely limited funding options and no full scholarship I cannot justify the fee difference!

I have decided on LSHTM. Somebody else recently mentioned the price difference. The LSHTM tuition is less than half the cost of JHU so regardless of the costs of living in London it works out far cheaper. It is also very good flexible program that you can tailor to you own needs as well as faculty expertise in almost every sub specialty. In addition to that as someone who wants to work internationally it sounds like they also have very good links and networks with programs/research in developing countries.

Deciding on my offers was far more difficult than the process of applying but this forum has made it much easier!!Thank you so much to everyone for your advice! Best of luck to everyone making decisions and I hope that those on waitlists are successful come May!!

Still waiting on UCLA Epi. Assuming a rejection at this point.

Have you heard anything yet from UCLA? I called and emailed the office a few times the past two weeks and just yesterday they told me my decision had been made but it wasn’t released yet and I should hopefully know within the next week. So nervous! Good luck to you :)

It sounds like you realy want to go to Michigan, but are hung up on the idea of an Ivy. Michigan is one of the best schools in pubic health AND their HMP department is killer. Don't let the brand label get in the way of what it sounds like you already know you want.
Absolutely second this. Brown is an Ivy League school, yes, but they don't have an "Ivy League" reputation in medicine/life sciences/health, so that shouldn't be their biggest draw. Since you want a bigger program size and already have ideas about where you want to intern in Ann Arbor, go for it!

Hey ya'll! Thank you SO much for the help through this process. I'll be attending BU starting this fall! Their 35k scholarship was too great to pass up. Boston is a great city and if you are attending let me know!

Thank you again. You all are great!! Good luck to wherever you choose. They are all good choices.

I will be checking into see where everyone's going.

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know how to decline Emory's scholarship/financial aid offers in OPUS? I swear I've been going around in circles for the past 15 minutes and I really want to get it done so that the money can go to someone else...

My partner and I have decided on Columbia (MPH Epi with Biostats Certificate) for the fall! Very unexpected, but we are beyond excited. For future applicants, my thoughts may be a little unhelpful on Columbia, considering a large part of our decision rested upon a full-tuition scholarship. However, I absolutely loved the three current students I met with—would HIGHLY recommend reaching out to current students no matter where you’re applying, to meet in person if possible—and the faculty and staff I met with. Some staff/faculty were pretty unresponsive, but don’t let that discourage you. Of everyone, the folks in financial aid and admissions (especially Charles Liriano) were actually most helpful at Columbia.

Since I would have attended either JHU or Berkeley if not for Columbia’s financial offer, I’ll super briefly sum up my thoughts for people reading this thread in the future:
  • My research focus is on food systems and how they interact with population health. Both JHU and Berkeley are incredible in this regard (JHU’s Center for a Livable Future and Berkeley’s Food Institute were major draws).
  • Berkeley’s program is super small, and professors seemed highly accessible. The Epi cohort also had a tight-knit feel.
  • Nearly everything about JHU impressed me during my visit. Most impressive were the Epi faculty members that went out of their way to have intentional conversations with me. I spoke with the chair of the department for 20+ minutes about my hopes, dreams, etc. He was a genuinely kind man, and an expert in the HIV/AIDS research field.
  • The Academic Coordinator for JHU’s Epi Department, Fran Burman, is SO kind. Interact with her at any chance you can. The same goes for this position at Berkeley, Janene Martinez, who took an hour+ out of her busy schedule to meet with me.
  • EVERY program is going to require a self-starter attitude—advocating for myself is not something I’m used to, but especially if you are a master’s student at a school with strong PhD programs, you’re going to have to be persistent in communications, network with faculty members, and build relationships with those around you.
Please feel free to reach out to me if you have questions!

HUGE congratulations to everyone on this forum. You all are incredible humans.

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone accepted or rejected your offer from NYMC, Tulane, Drexel, or ETSU?
Or still considering any of them? Please share your thoughts, reasons, etc.

I’m debating on Columbia. It’d be my one "reach" school. I didn’t know their admissions were rolling. I know it’s late but part of me is saying “what do you have to lose other than $80?”If i got in and money wasn’t a factor I would 100% go. I love their Sociomedical Sciences program so much, but I don't know if I should just save my money and let it go...

Last edited:
Happy decision day everyone! I hope you all are able to make a decision in good conscience & look forward to meeting those of you who choose Emory. :)

I’m rejecting my offers from Drexel and ETSU. Drexel was a good price after scholarships, but I didn’t feel like there were enough public health opportunities there. I felt like I would have to move again after to get a job that I really wanted. I went to ETSU for undergrad and applied to them because of that. It’s an inexpensive program and there are a lot of GA positions available, however it’s strength is community health for sure and that’s not what I was interested in (I’m going into epi). It would definitely be a good place to go if you’re interested in rural medicine though. If you have any questions about ETSU feel free to message me, I’ve lived in this area my whole life and went there for undergrad.

I've accepted my offer to Drexel. They gave me great financial aid, but outside of the money aspect I like the school. I think the atmosphere of the university was nice and very welcoming. They care a lot about the students and many students have said that there are many opportunities to get experience. I like how you're basically required to get experience during your first and second years. I also like the fact that since they changed the curriculum the students graduate early (March of their second year). Overall, Drexel has a welcoming environment and the fact that I won't graduate with as much debt as I would if attended another institution made Drexel the best choice for me.

Reactions: 8 users
Finally accepted my offer at UNC-Chapel Hill and declined Emory and GWU. UNC has an amazing health policy department and a plethora of resources at Gillings and around Gillings. It is also remarkably inexpensive compared to many graduate school programs. Good luck to everyone in the next chapter of the academic careers!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
So happy to say that I will be attending Tulane in the Fall (MSPH in Tropical Medicine)! I just love how research oriented it is and I feel that it will prepare me for a career in public health whether it be working for a gov't agency, lab, or academia! I spent the last few years of undergrad stressing over whether I'd do well enough to get into graduate school especially since my gpa was low. But now here I am! Best of luck to all of you with your goals and dreams!! :)

Reactions: 15 users
I’m debating on Columbia. It’d be my one "reach" school. I didn’t know their admissions were rolling. I know it’s late but part of me is saying “what do you have to lose other than $80?”If i got in and money wasn’t a factor I would 100% go. I love their Sociomedical Sciences program so much, but I don't know if I should just save my money and let it go...
Unfortunately, at this point, all of Columbia's scholarships are likely gone, and their financial aid is known to be not so great most of the time compared to other programs. If money is truly not a factor, then I agree, you have nothing to lose so why not. However, if you would not go if you had to pay full price, it might be better to put it off until next year to try for a scholarship or to go with another program this year.

Unfortunately, at this point, all of Columbia's scholarships are likely gone, and their financial aid is known to be not so great most of the time compared to other programs. If money is truly not a factor, then I agree, you have nothing to lose so why not. However, if you would not go if you had to pay full price, it might be better to put it off until next year to try for a scholarship or to go with another program this year.

Thank you! I am waiting on two other schools so I think I will just forget about Columbia due to the lack of funding :)

Question - has anyone received travel reimbursement for Michigan's Visit Day? I submitted my receipts, but I havenʻt heard anything back.

Has anyone switched their concentration at Emory? Is this allowed/is it likely that they will allow me to switch?

Has anyone switched their concentration at Emory? Is this allowed/is it likely that they will allow me to switch?
I switched from Epi to Global Epi and contacted my ADAP who put me under review for the new concentration. In my initial email, I listed out the reasons why I wanted to switch and thought I'd be a good fit. I'm not sure if it was because the departments are so similar or not, but I was also told it wouldn't affect my scholarship or financial aid. :)

Online I read that they prefer you do it before starting the program rather than during!

Hi all - I had to decide by today between Colorado SPH (Applied Biostats) and Pitt (Epi) and I've decided on CSPH.

A bit on how I arrived at my decision, and I also want to discuss prestige a bit. I visited both campuses and both were solid options, main differences being cultural/environment on campus (primarily down to surrounding regional culture, though, I believe), tuition (out-of-state significantly higher in Pitt), and I suppose overall approach at Pitt appearing much more streamlined. The latter I think has to do with the fact the school has been around longer. Not that Colorado is disorganized on the admin end as I have read about on this forum (or heard about from an alum) in its first few years after opening. But it is more "laid back", I guess (as opposed to..erm.."suited up"). Again... that might be more of a regional culture thing.

Rutgers was the only other program I applied to, but I couldn't attend the visit day because it was on the day I was traveling to Pitt and was notified about the latter further in advance. Which was fine because I am from NYC and was more interested in going to school in a different region than the metro area anyway. However, I was also offered 10k there, which makes it about equal with CSPH's cost of attendance.

I've actually been to Denver before so I'm familiar with the area, at least how it was about 8 1/2 years ago. I started undergrad there and left primarily due to health concerns which would have been difficult to address away from home and still financially dependent on my parents. I always felt compelled to go back, though. I was concerned about all the talk about housing getting more expensive and the area generally gentrifying and becoming crowded - the same things I am trying to move out of NYC for lol.

However, when I visited, it seems most students don't have too much trouble finding housing or work even though it's somewhat common to come in nervous about that stuff. When I met with my adviser, I asked about scholarships and she said she would "speak to someone" about offering me an in-state tuition scholarship. A few days later I was offered one. TBH I did not expect follow through on the "I'll talk to someone". This scholarship only is for the first year, and I would have to establish residency after 1 year to maintain it... which I would have wanted to do anyway (and reduced rates for Year 2 would be nice). I get the sense they are trying to attract more out-of-state admits, because the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition is lower than the other schools I've applied to/looked at. Also, I found some old #s for the school that suggest the out-of-state tuition used to be higher. I was also surprised at the number of out-of-state students at the admitted students day.

Another thing that influenced by decision was when I spoke to a Biostats (MS) student there, he also was deciding between the same two schools and was from the western PA area, yet still chose to relocate for school. He (and students in general) did not seem too anxious about finding work or paying off loans or anything like that, and the laid-back atmosphere in general (compared to where I'm coming from, at least, lol) I think would be a good fit for me personally.

I possibly could have tried for more prestigious schools but I instead prioritized location, cost of living/financing/career prospects (i.e. long-term and career-wise, not just as a student), fit, and so on. I think there is some truth to the notion that the Eastern US is more "image-conscious", and reputation is not necessarily high on my list of personal/lifestyle values - another reason I considered relocating in the first place. So I did not feel the need to focus on school rankings too much, though I am aware that rankings-wise, the schools I applied to are still solid options. Additionally, I think that the Biostatistics skill set is desirable enough in most of the US that school prestige would not be as relevant, nor would the more expensive programs necessarily have a larger ultimate payoff.

I hope this can be of help to someone, because it was so difficult for me to find info about Colorado in particular throughout the application process! Not to mention, the MPH Biostats program apparently has only about 20 students - though I think that is a plus going forward wrt personal attention and such.

That being said, I am still nervous about whether I am making the "right" decision (not only financially, but also about whether relocating to another region entirely is going to work out), though that is probably normal for most of us in this situation (?)

Good luck to everyone who is still in the process of deciding!

Last edited:
Hi all - I had to decide by today between Colorado SPH (Applied Biostats) and Pitt (Epi) and I've decided on CSPH.

A bit on how I arrived at my decision, and I also want to discuss prestige a bit. I visited both campuses and both were solid options, main differences being cultural/environment on campus (primarily down to surrounding regional culture, though, I believe), tuition (out-of-state significantly higher in Pitt), and I suppose overall approach at Pitt appearing much more streamlined. The latter I think has to do with the fact the school has been around longer. Not that Colorado is disorganized on the admin end as I have read about on this forum (or heard about from an alum) in its first few years after opening. But it is more "laid back", I guess (as opposed to..erm.."suited up"). Again... that might be more of a regional culture thing.

Rutgers was the only other program I applied to, but I couldn't attend the visit day because it was on the day I was traveling to Pitt and was notified about the latter further in advance. Which was fine because I am from NYC and was more interested in going to school in a different region than the metro area anyway. However, I was also offered 10k there, which makes it about equal with CSPH's cost of attendance.

I've actually been to Denver before so I'm familiar with the area, at least how it was about 8 1/2 years ago. I started undergrad there and left primarily due to health concerns which would have been difficult to address away from home and still financially dependent on my parents. I always felt compelled to go back, though. I was concerned about all the talk about housing getting more expensive and the area generally gentrifying and becoming crowded - the same things I am trying to move out of NYC for lol.

However, when I visited, it seems most students don't have too much trouble finding housing or work even though it's somewhat common to come in nervous about that stuff. When I met with my adviser, I asked about scholarships and she said she would "speak to someone" about offering me an in-state tuition scholarship. A few days later I was offered one. TBH I did not expect follow through on the "I'll talk to someone". This scholarship only is for the first year, and I would have to establish residency after 1 year to maintain it... which I would have wanted to do anyway (and reduced rates for Year 2 would be nice). I get the sense they are trying to attract more out-of-state admits, because the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition is lower than the other schools I've applied to/looked at. Also, I found some old #s for the school that suggest the out-of-state tuition used to be higher. I was also surprised at the number of out-of-state students at the admitted students day.

Another thing that influenced by decision was when I spoke to a Biostats (MS) student there, he also was deciding between the same two schools and was from the western PA area, yet still chose to relocate for school. He (and students in general) did not seem too anxious about finding work or paying off loans or anything like that, and the laid-back atmosphere in general (compared to where I'm coming from, at least, lol) I think would be a good fit for me personally.

I possibly could have tried for more prestigious schools but I instead prioritized location, cost of living (i.e. long-term and career-wise, not just as a student), fit, and so on. I think there is some truth to the notion that the Eastern US is more "image-conscious", and reputation is not necessarily high on my list of personal/lifestyle values - another reason I considered relocating in the first place. So I did not feel the need to focus on school rankings too much, though I am aware that rankings-wise, the schools I applied to are still solid options. Additionally, I think that the Biostatistics skill set is desirable enough in most of the US that school prestige would not be as relevant, nor would the more expensive programs necessarily have a larger ultimate payoff.

I hope this can be of help to someone, because it was so difficult for me to find info about Colorado in particular throughout the application process! Not to mention, the MPH Biostats program apparently has only about 20 students - though I think that is a plus going forward wrt personal attention and such.

That being said, I am still nervous about whether I am making the "right" decision (not only financially, but also about whether relocating to another region entirely is going to work out), though that is probably normal for most of us in this situation (?)

Good luck to everyone who is still in the process of deciding!
I'm also attending CSPH for the health systems, policy, and management concentration. I grew up in CO and have wanted to go back since I moved (military brat) but it was hard to get past acceptances from other better known programs. However, I'm able to get in-state tuition and I could definitely see myself living there after earning my master's. I agree that there isn't much on the internet or forums about the program but after paying my deposit, I feel I made the right choice!!

Last edited:
I'm also attending CSPH for the health systems, policy, and management concentration. I grew up in CO and have santed to go back since I moved (military brat) but it was hard to get past acceptances from other better known programs. However, I'm able to get in-state tuition and I cpuld definitely see myself living there after earning my master's. I agree that there isn't much on the internet or forums about the program but after paying my deposit, I feel I made the right choice!!

Yeah, I would imagine most people who apply to the kinds of programs you did (MN, GW, Boston, etc) had CSPH as a safety option, haha.

Colorado feels oddly (despite distance from actual hometown), homey to me, hard to explain.

I actually intern at NYU CGPH (mostly alongside MPH students, but I'm completing core coursework elsewhere), and did not realize until talking to a colleague last week that this program -not the MPH degree, but the actual college - is very new...was wondering why they were unranked on US News public health programs..

Anyway, considering it is one of the more popular programs, it was reassuring to find out from some students there that they are actually sort of where CSPH was back around 2010-13ish, as far as messy admin stuff. One student even told me a friend (from CA) is looking at PT school at Anschutz and they seem to have things pretty put together there. So just goes to show prestige and popularity aren't everything. Though in my experience, you do kinda get what you pay for with undergrad, as far as bureaucracy goes.

Were you at the visit day by any chance (wondering if we missed each other)?

Yeah, I would imagine most people who apply to the kinds of programs you did (MN, GW, Boston, etc) had CSPH as a safety option, haha.

Colorado feels oddly (despite distance from actual hometown), homey to me, hard to explain.

I actually intern at NYU CGPH (mostly alongside MPH students, but I'm completing core coursework elsewhere), and did not realize until talking to a colleague last week that this program -not the MPH degree, but the actual college - is very new...was wondering why they were unranked on US News public health programs..

Anyway, considering it is one of the more popular programs, it was reassuring to find out from some students there that they are actually sort of where CSPH was back around 2010-13ish, as far as messy admin stuff. One student even told me a friend (from CA) is looking at PT school at Anschutz and they seem to have things pretty put together there. So just goes to show prestige and popularity aren't everything. Though in my experience, you do kinda get what you pay for with undergrad, as far as bureaucracy goes.

Were you at the visit day by any chance (wondering if we missed each other)?
How new the program is actually worried me a little when I was making my decision, but after learning about the rest of the schools on the campus and how rigorous they are, I think it's unlikely they would allow the public health program to fall by the wayside.
I actually didn't make it to the visit day due to my internship. How was it? I've only visited the campus very quickly before

After much contemplation and mental tug of war, I've accepted my admission offer at UNC. While it was certainly hard to decline Harvard due to the research being done in my field, I was won over by UNC's curriculum, warmth, hospitality, and pace. In the end, I was balancing not just what I want to learn and get out of a program but what kind of lifestyle I want as well. Thank you all for the support! This forum has been a helpful space.

It was extremely difficult for me to decide between Harvard and Hopkins as both are great programs, but I eventually (today) decided to attend Harvard despite getting more scholarship from Hopkins. I think I would be able to meet my academic and career goals at either school, but I really like the warm and close-knit student body at Harvard. I also reached out to a professor with whom I would like to do research at Harvard, and she replied within a few hours welcoming me and saying we should meet in fall when I arrive in Boston.

This forum has been an incredible source of information and a supportive community. Best of luck to everyone whichever program you choose. Perhaps we'll cross paths someday as colleagues in public health! And for those who are attending Harvard, feel free to PM me so we can virtually meet before classes start in fall :)

Has anyone out there committed to UMD? I just confirmed a few days ago and wanted to see if anyone on here also had plans to attend:happy:

How new the program is actually worried me a little when I was making my decision, but after learning about the rest of the schools on the campus and how rigorous they are, I think it's unlikely they would allow the public health program to fall by the wayside.
I actually didn't make it to the visit day due to my internship. How was it? I've only visited the campus very quickly before

Ah, yeah, because I had the flexibility to do so, I moved around my internship hours to make both visit days (but lost paid work hours..oh well). It was a pretty short day; including the optional campus tour, the agenda only went to 2pm. It was that one random 20 degree snowy day though so that was kinda funny...for people visiting that hadn't been to CO before, I wonder if that was discouraging, haha. There was only one other student in the breakout session, so I don't know that I would've been offered a scholarship at all if I hadn't shown up and casually been like "so have all the scholarships been decided yet?" It seemed like a spur-of-the-moment thing. I also personally visited the assistant dean after though, to ask my n00b housing/commute questions, and have been pestering Student Affairs with email questions since like December, :laugh: ...so maybe that had something to do with it as well.

Everyone seemed pretty approachable and welcoming. One thing I noticed at both schools was they didn't give the impression that they were trying too hard to impress people and only show the positive side to everything (aka marketing)-- I got more of that when I was visiting schools for undergrad, so was almost expecting it. Like during the Q&A, there was some open discussion about which neighborhoods are/aren't sketchy. And Student Affairs was also saying that apparently some students chose the school simply "because it's Colorado" and that that's a valid reason, haha.

I think it won't be too hard to network; not sure if it's just my program and haven't checked stats, but it does seem like a smaller student body in general. I unintentionally ended up sitting across from a professor at lunch who I was already familiar with from looking through the faculty and their research on the website (we were unofficially organized at tables by dept., but I couldn't find any other MPH Biostats people, lol, so ended up with MS/PhD admits with that prof as their main adviser). To me that is somewhat of a big deal, because around where I live "networking" tends to mean a lot of playing numbers games, and I feel that this distracts from organically making connections (at least for me).