MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by ConfusedAsUsual, Aug 15, 2017.

1. lala12345

This might be a ridiculous question, but does anyone know how to accept BU's offer? They never gave me username for a portal to log in.

sploosh and cherry.wine like this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Brick05

I put down my $600 (!!) deposit for Johns Hopkins but for some reason I am now more stressed than ever. Why do I keep thinking about Emory? Is anyone else feeling oddly stressed about having made the wrong decision? I feel like there is no "wrong decision", and I keep telling myself this, but for some reason I can't stop thinking... what if?

yurr_, ninjahitsawall, idepi and 9 others like this.
  4. Cassatrass

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I think it's common to feel like this to an extent. But, assuming you made the decision based on all the factors that are most important to you, you should hopefully be able to re-convince yourself. :)

Daydreamer23, Brick05, pa611 and 3 others like this.
  5. tnb_nanashi

Can you two provide some more explanation as to why you think BU's ranking is artificially high and what may be contributing to that?

ninjahitsawall likes this.
  6. Cassatrass

2+ Year Member

It's the same link as the supplemental application portion! Search "invites you to take the next step with your application" and you should be able to log in and accept/decline your offer.

JDGBruin1317 and cherry.wine like this.
  7. hm1742

Committed to Vanderbilt for Global Health!! Thanks you all for the support and advice!! :highfive:

8. Dmohr21

Yes! I committed to a state school due to price and keep wondering if I made the wrong decision. It'll all work out in the end though.

Brick05 likes this.
  9. busybee13

That's awesome! Congrats! Would you be comfortable sharing what factors resulted in you choosing Vandy? I'm also in the Global Health track and am trying to decide between Emory and Vanderbilt :) Thanks in advance!

hm1742 likes this.
  10. Vslyph

It wasn’t offered to anyone who wasn’t at their medical school or without a prior masters/health centered degree until some years ago. If you’re looking to get to Chicago, UIC’s program is cheaper and a lot more recognized.

JDGBruin1317 and wwmmkk like this.
  11. wwmmkk

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I want to preface this with a couple things:
    (1) If you look through enough posts on this forum, you will notice that there are some very frequent posters who clearly have a vendetta against BU. For some reason, BU comes under far more scrutiny than any other school on this site. I am not sure this scrutiny reflects actual problems with the school.
    (2) I know little about BU aside from what I have heard from friends who go/went there. I did not consider their program when I was applying because of their size and cost. I did not know at the time about their generous scholarship packages. My overall personal evaluation of BU is that it offers a strong, structured program with some unique certificate options, it straddles the research/practice line, and it is highly regarded in the field, though not as much as Harvard/JHU/etc.

But to answer your question-- I think their rankings are artificially high because of the peer review methodology US News uses. I think a lot of BU's name recognition is because of its size. They have a large number of graduates, researchers, publications, etc., which makes it statistically more likely that someone reviewing their program has had multiple favorable impressions of the school compared to smaller schools. However, program size does not necessarily reflect a higher quality education, which is why I think there are many smaller programs that are unranked or ranked artificially low in US News. I think BU's location helps as there are more public health programs on the east coast than anywhere else in the country. Institutions participating in the review process are likely to know more about BU's programming than more distant institutions because of geographical proximity, and as a consequence rank BU higher. Finally, I think the US News rankings tend to privilege schools that are solid in all disciplines of public health (epi, behavioral, policy, global, biostat, enviro, etc.) over schools that have built very strong programs in one or two disciplines. My understanding is that BU falls into the former category.

tl;dr: Rankings don't tell you very much about schools. BU's are perhaps higher than deserved because of the methodology used and not any factors inherent to the school.

12. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    I see, thank you! Why would you say UIC is more recognized when Northwestern's name is general is more well-known across the country?

13. hm1742

Yeah! I was between Emory and Vandy too. Basically it came down to visiting both schools. Emory was impressive, but the faculty and students at Vandy went out of their way to help me. I also am a fan of the smaller class sizes and the layout of the curriculum. Nashville is also an exciting city that reminds me a lot of my home in Raleigh!

JDGBruin1317 and busybee13 like this.
  14. tnb_nanashi

Many thanks for the thorough and thoughtful response!

15. meckssh0

Ok I am between Emory, and Yale. Emory is cheaper but Yale has a better chronic disease epi program. Both have faculty I would like to research with. Wherever I choose, I will be on a track to do clinical research, so I don't know which one is better for that. Which should I choose!!? If anyone has any insight or is in the same boat, I would love to hear. Thanks!

16. Cassatrass

2+ Year Member

Though I'm epi with a global focus, which is definitely different than global health, I was also considering Vandy and can speak to it vs Emory. Vanderbilt definitely has a wealth of opportunities on campus-- which is very nice for getting a job to help pay for things during school. However, they do have a lot of MDs in the program, so a lot of their in-class examples will use medical terminology and be very specific. Overall, I felt like Emory had a wealth of global health experiences and a very strong network (partly because the program is so big) and would be better for people wanting to go into practice-based public health. Plus, I'm not sure exactly what I want to go into, so I think that having a wide array of projects and opportunities around me at all times will be beneficial to me-- which didn't seem to be as common at Vanderbilt.

Both great programs-- but VERY different.

busybee13 and JDGBruin1317 like this.
  17. Pbhlth222

Can someone that was accepted to GWU tell me how good or bad their financial aid package was compared to other schools? Thank you :)

18. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    I only applied to a few schools, so this might not be too representative. But I found that GWU's merit package to be great. They basically cover full tuition if you get above 325 on the GRE and the next scholarship is $30,000, $15000 and so on. I received the second package, but it's still cheaper compared to the other schools for me.

Also, GWU said that if you retake the GRE, do much better and send in the scores in May, they can update their scholarship offer to give you more money.

19. megarita

I scored a 328 on the GRE and only received $7500 from GW. I had a low-ish GPA though (from GW lol)

orangepancake likes this.
  20. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    Oh yes, I forgot about the GPA. There is a GPA requirement for them too unfortunately. I believe you have to have 3.8 GPA and 325+ to get the full tuition award. Last year, they used to give 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% tuition awards but they changed it this year so that the top two awards are only 50% and 100% :(

JDGBruin1317 and orangepancake like this.
  21. CaliPenguin

Non-Student
    For undergraduate I seem to remember Berkeley did not send rejections. But I know undergraduate can be a whole different ballgame.

22. megarita

Finally accepted my offer at Hopkins!

In the end the deciding factors for me were 1) being so impressed with the faculty and excited to get involved with their research in combination with how accessible they were and 2) the quarter system and freedom the second year to take more advanced epi and infectious disease courses without sacrificing the global health lens like I would have had to for a MS program.

So so so excited!! I'm not sure if anyone else here is planning on attending Hopkins for GDEC, but if so definitely let me know!

23. lilycat123

Congratulations!!
    I’m not planning on attending JHU but I feel like there’s not enough talk on here about the quarter/semester system and since you brought us up as a pro, do you think you (or anyone else) can explain the difference a little more and some pros and cons? I’d really appreciate it, thanks!

JDGBruin1317 and megarita like this.
  24. Vslyph

The work UIC does in the community is widely regarded, with the MPH being well-respected. I can’t speak for outside of Chicago, but if you want to be involved in urban health, UIC is a great place to go. Northwestern, while respected for its own merits, does not have a stand alone school of public health, and most people would be surprised to know they teach public health at all (I know I was, and I’ve lived in Chicago all my life).

As a side note, I once had a conversation with an admissions person at Northwestern tell me that because of the high cost of the Northwestern degree I would be better off taking as many credits as I could transfer into Northwestern at UIC, which would be just as if not more rigorous, but that I could end up with the Northwestern name on my degree at the end.

25. megarita

I definitely think the quarter system is usually brought up as a con on this forum haha. The students I spoke to at Hopkins said it can definitely be intense, and a little overwhelming if that’s not the kind of experience you want. However it gives you the option to take more courses than you normally would, which will let you specialize more depending on your program, and I was looking for a more involved and intense experience.

JDGBruin1317 and lilycat123 like this.
  26. JDGBruin1317

2+ Year Member

My undergrad was on the quarter system. It normally is seen as a negative because of the fast pace and how close together midterms and final exams are. I eventually got used to it, however, since I'll be attending a school with the semester system, I don't know what to expect. Lol :p

For those who have gone to semester schools, what are the pros? Any cons?

27. wwmmkk

2+ Year Member

I've experienced both. While I can adjust fine to the quarter system, I prefer the semester system. I think the longer format allows for a deeper and more complex exploration of topics that are sometimes just glanced over in quarter system classes. Also, classes on the semester system are more likely to use multiple assessments (2 midterms + final, or ongoing project + final, or multiple ongoing projects) because everyone has more time to complete/grade them. This means if you bomb something, it's easier to make up for it by doing well in other aspects. The only real con of the semester system for me was that if you don't like a class, it reaaaally drags on-- especially if the class feels too easy or too hard. Professor quality becomes more important for the same reason too. You don't want to spend 4+ months working for a professor you don't jive with.

28. aconty

Just submitted my deposit for Emory! After a successful financial aid appeal and Visit Emory, my choice was pretty clear :clap:
    Huge thanks to this forum for being a supportive and helpful place to turn to!

Now that the "which school should I go to" stress is over, it's time for "now I need to figure out how I'm moving a few states away" stress to start lol

29. NorCalMPH

Non-Student
    Hi! That was also my understanding from conversations with them. I think they have some departmental grants available, but it'd be 3rd party funding you. I am actually not planning on joining the program after all. I didn't feel like I'd be fulfilled by the program being just 1 year and because the curriculum is restricted (ironically, since it's global health!). I want a more comprehensive program where I can move between departments through classes.

30. Astaclover

Any UW mph group on Facebook or WhatsApp!?

31. NorCalMPH

Non-Student
    I also visited during admitted student day and had a really positive experience with the professors and current students! I'm in PopFam if that's helpful, feel free to reach out as well!

ha4cb5ed likes this.
  32. NorCalMPH

Non-Student
    Me too! I called and emailed this week and their response was that students who applied the 2nd round won't know until May 1st. I didn't receive an answer otherwise.

33. NorCalMPH

Non-Student
    After seeing some people mention here and in another forum making last ditch efforts for scholarships, I'm going to try with Columbia. Does somebody have a draft of how to approach this with the department? (my arguments would be a large move-west coast to east coast, financial burden supporting myself - who doesn't?!, and having retired parents so no family contributions are expected).

sploosh likes this.
  34. Pbhlth222

Congratulations!! So exciting! How did you go about your appeal? Is there a specific process or did you just email?

35. aconty

Thank you! I talked to my advisor at Visit Emory about my competitive offers from other programs, how I felt Emory was the best fit for me, and how financial aid would play a huge role in my final decision. I also filled out the appeal form. RSPH Financial Aid Appeal Form
    Good luck with the appeal and your final decisions!

Pbhlth222 and JDGBruin1317 like this.
  36. CaliPenguin

Non-Student
    I feel ridiculous asking this but does the April 15 deadline mean decisions must be logged on Saturday or by the end of Sunday? I’d really like to take until Sunday evening.

37. PBH2018

I've decided on LSHTM!! I know it may seem a little odd to turn down Yale, but it was the right choice for me. For starters, it's a one year program instead of a two year program. Given that tuition is about $32,200 (£22,600), it's definitely cheaper at face value than schools in the US (unless you get an amazing merit scholarship--which I did not! Lol). Even factoring in living in the various cities (yes, London is expensive), I will *only* be $50,000 in debt after competing my MSc compared to $110,000 if I did my MPH at Yale. Plus I honestly just like the curriculum better. There aren't quite as many basic core classes, which is great for me, since I graduate in May with a BS in public health and have already taken many of the introductory public health courses. There's also a huge variety of elective classes that interest me (Conflict and Health, Tropical Environmental Health, and Designing Disease Control Programmes in Developing Countries to name a few). With research, there's SO MANY research centers and programs to choose from. I'm really interested in the relationship between conflict, environment, and health, so I'm excited about the WASH research and Health in Humanitarian Crises research teams that LSHTM has. LSHTM is also number one in the world (US News and World Report-- take it for what you will) for public health international collaboration, which is appealing to me, as I'd love to one day work for an international agency like the IRC. In terms of location, I'm super pumped to move to London. It's one of my favorite cities, and realistically speaking, being interested in environmental health also motivated me to look outside the US due to the current political climate.

TL;DR: I'm going to LSHTM instead of to Yale for cost, curriculum, research centers, international collaboration, my love of London, and the political climate in the US.

Best of luck to everyone else making their decisions! I believe in you! You will find the perfect place for you, and you will be super successful!

cg2018, TD2018, Daydreamer23 and 9 others like this.
  38. ha4cb5ed

Thank you! I just returned from my super last minute visit, which was wonderful beyond what I expected. Here’s to tough decisions! Best of luck all!

JDGBruin1317 likes this.
  39. Jasmine Chou

Hi~ Really need your advice! I am struggling between two programs: MPH at UMich and MPH at Brown. For UMich, it's really a high ranked program in public health, and people around me all appreciate the great academic reputation of the university. Apart from that, I guess that it won't be difficult if I would like to find summer internship positions at UMich because of the huge health system of the university(I really want to study on patient decision issues, so workplace like hospitals would be more suitable). Living cost there is pretty low, and I heard that the public transportation at Ann Arbor could be really convenient.

For Brown, the Ivy brand is definitely an advantage, and there's also 25% tuition off of the first year. What I worry about it is that the program is really small (about 50 in the whole MPH program I guess?), so there will be even fewer people who choose the Health Service concentration, which I would like to choose in the spring semester. For UMich each year, MPH in health policy track is about 35, which I think would be a better class size, so that there would be a larger chance that I can communicate with those who are interested in the same public health topics as me.

I don't plan to pursue a PHD degree at present, and want to find a job in Singapore after graduation, get some work experience before I go back to China. So is there any advice on my decision? I would really like to know whether there is a big difference between the reputation of Brown and UMich in the labor market outside US.

yurr_ likes this.
  40. purpleninja

MD/PhD Student
    Hi all.

I have decided to turn down offers at Columbia and JHU. I never thought I would turn down such great schools but ultimately as an international student with extremely limited funding options and no full scholarship I cannot justify the fee difference!

I have decided on LSHTM. Somebody else recently mentioned the price difference. The LSHTM tuition is less than half the cost of JHU so regardless of the costs of living in London it works out far cheaper. It is also very good flexible program that you can tailor to you own needs as well as faculty expertise in almost every sub specialty. In addition to that as someone who wants to work internationally it sounds like they also have very good links and networks with programs/research in developing countries.

Deciding on my offers was far more difficult than the process of applying but this forum has made it much easier!!Thank you so much to everyone for your advice! Best of luck to everyone making decisions and I hope that those on waitlists are successful come May!!

yurr_, VAa, sploosh and 7 others like this.
  41. rosemary_

It sounds like you realy want to go to Michigan, but are hung up on the idea of an Ivy. Michigan is one of the best schools in pubic health AND their HMP department is killer. Don't let the brand label get in the way of what it sounds like you already know you want.

42. wanderlust-adventures

2+ Year Member

Have you heard anything yet from UCLA? I called and emailed the office a few times the past two weeks and just yesterday they told me my decision had been made but it wasn’t released yet and I should hopefully know within the next week. So nervous! Good luck to you :)

43. wwmmkk

2+ Year Member

Absolutely second this. Brown is an Ivy League school, yes, but they don't have an "Ivy League" reputation in medicine/life sciences/health, so that shouldn't be their biggest draw. Since you want a bigger program size and already have ideas about where you want to intern in Ann Arbor, go for it!

44. MidnightCafe

Hey ya'll! Thank you SO much for the help through this process. I'll be attending BU starting this fall! Their 35k scholarship was too great to pass up. Boston is a great city and if you are attending let me know!

Thank you again. You all are great!! Good luck to wherever you choose. They are all good choices.

I will be checking into see where everyone's going.

45. idepi

Does anyone know how to decline Emory's scholarship/financial aid offers in OPUS? I swear I've been going around in circles for the past 15 minutes and I really want to get it done so that the money can go to someone else...

46. ha4cb5ed

My partner and I have decided on Columbia (MPH Epi with Biostats Certificate) for the fall! Very unexpected, but we are beyond excited. For future applicants, my thoughts may be a little unhelpful on Columbia, considering a large part of our decision rested upon a full-tuition scholarship. However, I absolutely loved the three current students I met with—would HIGHLY recommend reaching out to current students no matter where you’re applying, to meet in person if possible—and the faculty and staff I met with. Some staff/faculty were pretty unresponsive, but don’t let that discourage you. Of everyone, the folks in financial aid and admissions (especially Charles Liriano) were actually most helpful at Columbia.

Since I would have attended either JHU or Berkeley if not for Columbia’s financial offer, I’ll super briefly sum up my thoughts for people reading this thread in the future:
    • My research focus is on food systems and how they interact with population health. Both JHU and Berkeley are incredible in this regard (JHU’s Center for a Livable Future and Berkeley’s Food Institute were major draws).
    • Berkeley’s program is super small, and professors seemed highly accessible. The Epi cohort also had a tight-knit feel.
    • Nearly everything about JHU impressed me during my visit. Most impressive were the Epi faculty members that went out of their way to have intentional conversations with me. I spoke with the chair of the department for 20+ minutes about my hopes, dreams, etc. He was a genuinely kind man, and an expert in the HIV/AIDS research field.
    • The Academic Coordinator for JHU’s Epi Department, Fran Burman, is SO kind. Interact with her at any chance you can. The same goes for this position at Berkeley, Janene Martinez, who took an hour+ out of her busy schedule to meet with me.
    • EVERY program is going to require a self-starter attitude—advocating for myself is not something I’m used to, but especially if you are a master’s student at a school with strong PhD programs, you’re going to have to be persistent in communications, network with faculty members, and build relationships with those around you.
    Please feel free to reach out to me if you have questions!

HUGE congratulations to everyone on this forum. You all are incredible humans.

macko126, pa611, Ebb55 and 4 others like this.
  47. drevolution

Anyone accepted or rejected your offer from NYMC, Tulane, Drexel, or ETSU?
    Or still considering any of them? Please share your thoughts, reasons, etc.

48. Pbhlth222

I’m debating on Columbia. It’d be my one "reach" school. I didn’t know their admissions were rolling. I know it’s late but part of me is saying “what do you have to lose other than $80?”If i got in and money wasn’t a factor I would 100% go. I love their Sociomedical Sciences program so much, but I don't know if I should just save my money and let it go...

#5147 Pbhlth222, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  49. Cassatrass

2+ Year Member

Happy decision day everyone! I hope you all are able to make a decision in good conscience & look forward to meeting those of you who choose Emory. :)

blb95, sploosh, n3t and 5 others like this.
  50. Rblay43

Non-Student
    I’m rejecting my offers from Drexel and ETSU. Drexel was a good price after scholarships, but I didn’t feel like there were enough public health opportunities there. I felt like I would have to move again after to get a job that I really wanted. I went to ETSU for undergrad and applied to them because of that. It’s an inexpensive program and there are a lot of GA positions available, however it’s strength is community health for sure and that’s not what I was interested in (I’m going into epi). It would definitely be a good place to go if you’re interested in rural medicine though. If you have any questions about ETSU feel free to message me, I’ve lived in this area my whole life and went there for undergrad.

drevolution likes this.
  51. Branch394

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've accepted my offer to Drexel. They gave me great financial aid, but outside of the money aspect I like the school. I think the atmosphere of the university was nice and very welcoming. They care a lot about the students and many students have said that there are many opportunities to get experience. I like how you're basically required to get experience during your first and second years. I also like the fact that since they changed the curriculum the students graduate early (March of their second year). Overall, Drexel has a welcoming environment and the fact that I won't graduate with as much debt as I would if attended another institution made Drexel the best choice for me.

LG0331, pa611, Rblay43 and 6 others like this.