MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from Columbia’s Population & Family health dept? Or UNC’s Health Behavior Dept? I’m assuming not many have heard from JHU MSPH programs yet either?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from Columbia’s Population & Family health dept? Or UNC’s Health Behavior Dept? I’m assuming not many have heard from JHU MSPH programs yet either?
I received my acceptance notification from Population and Family Health on 1/22

I was accepted into Columbia's PopFam dept on Jan 22 (My application was verified Dec 15).
I'm still waiting for the JHU MSPH Full time program - so frustrating since I submitted my application back in November!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to Hopkins MSPH in Global Disease Epi and Control!!! I thought Hopkins was just a pipe dream so I'm super shocked omgggggggggggg:biglove:

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
Decision of CUNY would be released in march

It honestly doesn’t seem like a bad option either, weighing in the fact that there will be no cost of living to worry about and that tuition like u said, is cheaper :)

Never too late.

International student from Peru
GPA Undergrad:
GPA Grad: 3.69
| GRE: 152 V; 157 Q; 3.0 W
Toefl: 98
Background: Bach Psychology, Graduate studies in neuropsychology.
Experience in counseling 4ys, health psychology in oncology hospital 1yr, teaching assistant for one semester
Volunteer work: multiple sclerosis association 1yr , lead a mentoring program with oncology kids 6 months, sexual health among teens 6 months.
Additional facts: latin, lgbt.

Interest: Health Disparities, Global Health, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention

Applied: Mount Sinai (10/26), BU (12/11), CUNY (12/11) and Drexel (12/11) all verified on 11/02

Accepted: Mount Sinai (12/15), Drexel + 24k (12/23), BU +15k (01/22)

Reactions: 1 users
I am so anxious to hear from UC Berkeley....I applied to the HSB concentration. Last year acceptances for HSB were issued around the 9th!! Who else applied?

----
Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Applied: University of Washington - COPHP, Columbia, and UC Berkeley
Accepted: University of Washington

I've been waiting soooo impatiently for HSB. It's my top choice. I have a friend that got in last year and she said she got her acceptance around Valentine's Day... I don't want to wait another week :///

Did anyone apply to MS programs at UCLA or Cal? Wondering when they're going to start releasing decisions, since I've seen a few MPH decisions on this thread.

Accepted to Hopkins MSPH in Global Disease Epi and Control!!! I thought Hopkins was just a pipe dream so I'm super shocked omgggggggggggg:biglove:
OMG CONGRATS - SO JEALOUS :eek: hope we all hear back soooooooon! :)

Reactions: 3 users

In terms of PopFam? I heard back from JHU the week of Thanksgiving. BUT nothing yet on financial aid and also they basically told me I’m not getting a scholarship in that package so...

Did anyone apply to MS programs at UCLA or Cal? Wondering when they're going to start releasing decisions, since I've seen a few MPH decisions on this thread.
I was accepted to UCLA for the MS in Epidemiology on 2/7, I submitted on 11/30.

I've been following this thread for a month or so. Thank you all for helping keep my anxiety at manageable levels as I wait to hear back from schools. And I thought GRE studying was rough! I wanted to contribute to the discussion as we all wait it out.

Undergrad School:
University of California
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.47/3.7
Major/Minor: International Studies: Political Science (with a focus on human rights in conflict)
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.7
Grad Studies (if applicable): One semester in Peace and Conflict Studies
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 9/29/2017 Quant: 151 Verbal: 162 Writing: 4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • 7 years of experience in advocacy and policy at a humanitarian NGO in D.C.
  • 2 short-term deployments to the South Sudan Humanitarian Response.
  • Three policy reports based on focus group discussions and key informant interviews
  • Volunteer experience with children experiencing homelessness and girls running program
Special factors:

Interested in: Adverse childhood experiences, child development, role of education system in promoting healthy development, and program development and management
Applied(include the date of application): Harvard--Health and Social Behavior, Maternal and Child Health Concentration (11/27), Columbia--Population and Family Health, Child, Youth, and Families Certificate (11/27), Emory--Behavioral Sciences and Health Education (1/1), UNC-Chapel Hill--Health Behavior (1/1), Washington University, St. Louis--Generalist (12/15), and UIC--Community Health Sciences (1/7)
Accepted: Wash U +45k (1/5), Columbia (1/22), Emory (1/29), UIC (2/8), Harvard (2/22)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt did the same kind of thing to me on Monday. They sent me an email with the subject heading "Dean Public Health Scholar Award" and it turned out just to be an invitation to apply for it. I was so mad...
I got this email also. Not sure if I want to apply or not. I was reading on the website that only two people are chosen and there’s what, close to 300 people per class for mph? With my stats and everything I don’t know if there’s even a point in applying.

Has anyone accepted to UW in Seattle heard back from scholarships or financial aid? I’m stressing I wanna have I better idea of where I wanna go lol

From MyHarvard:
After submitting your application: Continue to monitor your SOPHAS portal to make sure that all required documents have been received and that your application has been mailed to The Harvard Chan School.

Beginning in January: Financial Aid Application information will be sent by the Office of Financial Aid.
Beginning in February: Applicants will be notified of decisions via email.

Decision Reply Dates

March 15: Students admitted to: MPH-Epi, Summer-only MPH and SM, Summer starting MPH and SM, MHCM.
March 23: DrPH students.
April 15: All academic year (fall and spring starting) degree students.

Of course Harvard is gonna make us wait. I bet it will be one of the last decisions handed out. lol

Congrats!!! Is Hopkins your first choice?
I LOOOVE the program but I'm not a Baltimore fan...although, I'm sure I can make it a couple years (hopefully it'd grow on me!). :) My godmother and her parents (basically family) live in the DC area so it'd be nice to be close to them since I'm from the Midwest. We will see though! My mind definitely isn't 100% made up yet. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! I mostly emailed ph-admit@columbia. edu. I sent an email to a woman I met with there but that was a while ago, before I even submitted my application. Good luck!
Thanks! :)
I a

plied to BU on 15th Jan. And got an acceptance a few days back. I think you should call and check if all formalities are completed. Also express your worry of not having heard back.
I think everything is complete from my side because I received a confirmation.

@Cassatrass congrats on getting into Hopkins! That's so great. :)

I LOOOVE the program but I'm not a Baltimore fan...although, I'm sure I can make it a couple years (hopefully it'd grow on me!). :) My godmother and her parents (basically family) live in the DC area so it'd be nice to be close to them since I'm from the Midwest. We will see though! My mind definitely isn't 100% made up yet. :)

Did you also get the 75% off second-year tuition? it sounds like such a deal, but then when you calculate it it's not that far off from full tuition at columbia...
Unless I'm doing the calculations wrong..

Is anyone going to do Emory's webinar tomorrow?

Congrats! I was also accepted earlier today for the same program! I definitely get what you mean about the Baltimore thing, not exactly an ideal location but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

What do you think of the JHU GDEC program's structure compared to some of the other ones you applied to? It seems very different from the more traditional 2 year GW, Emory, Columbia etc type epi programs that are semester based since it appears to basically be 1 year of classes + 0.5 to 1 year of practicum.

While I love the idea of getting so much practical experience, the idea of cramming so many classes into 1 year (and divided into four ~7 week long terms at that) kinda makes me a bit hesitant and fearful that it might negatively impact my education :confused:, especially considering my lack of previous epi experience during undergrad. My undergrad uni had a quarter system with each quarter only being about 10 weeks long and that felt super rushed so I can only imagine how intense Hopkins terms must be...

Last edited:
Did you also get the 75% off second-year tuition? it sounds like such a deal, but then when you calculate it it's not that far off from full tuition at columbia...

From what I've read almost everyone automatically gets it, however you are correct, when you calculate it out it ends up roughly the same as most other comparable programs (around $65,500 or so for the whole degree, only counting tuition). Pretty smart marketing/pr strategy on Hopkins part tbh hahaha, makes it seem like they're really giving you a deal when in fact the sticker price is just inflated. Columbia is around $8,000 or so more, assuming I calculated it correctly.

Last edited:
I'll be at the Emory webinar tomorrow. It's 9 AM in Atlanta so it's going to be at 6 AM for me (California)....

I'm going to at least the beginning, so I can report back to you
Can you also let me know? I would appreciate it. :) I wish they can record the webinar and post it on Youtube or send it to those who couldn't tune in.

I'll be at the Emory webinar tomorrow. It's 9 AM in Atlanta so it's going to be at 6 AM for me (California)....

I thought it was at 12 pm in atlanta so it would 9-10 am PST. Atleast thats what it says in the email for me :thinking:

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone accepted to UW in Seattle heard back from scholarships or financial aid? I’m stressing I wanna have I better idea of where I wanna go lol

I haven't heard anything from them on this either! I emailed them a couple days ago asking when this information will be available and still haven't gotten a response, but if they do get back to me I'll let you know what they say!

@Cassatrass congrats on getting into Hopkins! That's so great. :)
Thank you!! I'm quite excited!

I calculated it and, using my previous formula (including fees+insurance), it will be $74,611 vs Columbia at $85,037

Congrats! I was also accepted earlier today for the same program! I definitely get what you mean about the Baltimore thing, not exactly an ideal location but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

What do you think of the JHU GDEC program's structure compared to some of the other ones you applied to? It seems very different from the more traditional 2 year GW, Emory, Columbia etc type epi programs that are semester based since it appears to basically be 1 year of classes + 0.5 to 1 year of practicum.

While I love the idea of getting so much practical experience, the idea of cramming so many classes into 1 year (and divided into four ~7 week long terms at that) kinda makes me a bit hesitant and fearful that it might negatively impact my education :confused:, especially considering my lack of previous epi experience during undergrad. My undergrad uni had a quarter system with each quarter only being about 10 weeks long and that felt super rushed so I can only imagine how intense Hopkins terms must be...
Hmm...good question. I'm not quite sure yet. It does seem a bit stressful (Especially with the comprehensive exam at the end of the first year!) but I'm sure that overall students will still learn things as deeply as necessary. I do like how the second year has a lot of free time to complete a meaningful practical experience or obtain a certificate. My main draw is their Vaccine Science and Policy certificate, since that's a field I have a lot of passion for and could see myself working in. However, many other schools have strong vaccine research centers (or other centers of interest) so that's not necessarily a deciding factor!

I lived in Baltimore for 9 months (my then-girlfriend was at Hopkins med) and I loved it. It has a bad reputation but it's a wonderful city.

I lived in Baltimore for 9 months (my then-girlfriend was at Hopkins med) and I loved it. It has a bad reputation but it's a wonderful city.
I've visited twice-- once to see Hopkins and another for a volunteer trip-- so it's likely that I've just never experienced the more enjoyable areas! I'm keeping an open mind with that. :)

Can you also let me know? I would appreciate it. :) I wish they can record the webinar and post it on Youtube or send it to those who couldn't tune in.

It looks like the webinar might be posted on Rollins’ YouTube page for those who can’t make it! I believe past financial aid webinars are on there as well

I've visited twice-- once to see Hopkins and another for a volunteer trip-- so it's likely that I've just never experienced the more enjoyable areas! I'm keeping an open mind with that. :)

I was born in Baltimore and have lived in the northern MD area basically my whole life and Baltimore has gotten ALOT better over the past 10 years (it used to be pretty sketchy when I lived downtown many years ago) but Fed Hill and Fells Point is an amazing place to hang out for students, great bars and local restaurants - Baltimore's train station is SUPER convenient to travel to Downtown DC (45 minutes) and BWI airport (15 min) and the inner habor is a tourist trap but has an amazing selection of restaurants, museums, shopping, and the aquarium! I find Baltimore to be a very creative and artsy place nowadays and wouldnt cross of JHU because of the location since it's become much more gentrified over the years.

Reactions: 5 users
JHU replied to my inquiry that I was not awarded any merit scholarship which is given to a very small percentage of incoming students. I thinks my Hopkins dream is over can’t pay full Tution when I have full Tution awards from other options best of luck to everyone else

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
So my portal for Michigan for epid say that a decision has been made but idk what it is :( Did anyone else have something or those who got accepted did you receive an email first or your portal updated?

Got into Hopkins for MSPH in GDEC! Was notified on the portal, did not receive an email.

For Michigan HBHE I just got a “recommendation for admission” message. Anybody know what this means?

Has anyone heard from Columbia for HPM? Interview or otherwise??

I had an interview yesterday for HPM. I applied 01/15 so I don’t expect a decision until late February or March even

In at Hopkins for the Int’l Health-GDEC MSPH! Submitted Jan 15, app complete Jan 19 and accepted just now via portal.

I had an interview yesterday for HPM. I applied 01/15 so I don’t expect a decision until late February or March even

When did they let you know about the interview? I haven't heard anything yet and don't know if that is good or bad

For Michigan HBHE I just got a “recommendation for admission” message. Anybody know what this means?
probably just means that some members of the admissions team recommend you for admission and now they're gonna take a final vote with the rest of the members. The same thing happened with me for another program I applied to

When did they let you know about the interview? I haven't heard anything yet and don't know if that is good or bad

A student emailed me on Feb 4th. Someone on here said they got in without interview, and some people who get interviews don’t get accepted. I wouldn’t think too much into it