MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the replies wwmmkk and Cassatrass!

One more question I haven't been able to find an answer to on the forums or SOPHAS faq. I have a research manuscript currently in the process of being reviewed and I'd like to include the abstract somewhere on my app. Is this overkill? SOPHAS recommends listing publications and articles under the achievements which I have done, however the word count is way too low to fit my abstract in the description box. Should I just not bother? Would just the title of the paper and a note that it is submitted to a journal be enough? The only way I can think of submitting it is by attaching it to my resume since that's the only way to upload documents (unless I'm missing something?).

Members don't see this ad.

One more question I haven't been able to find an answer to on the forums or SOPHAS faq. I have a research manuscript currently in the process of being reviewed and I'd like to include the abstract somewhere on my app. Is this overkill? SOPHAS recommends listing publications and articles under the achievements which I have done, however the word count is way too low to fit my abstract in the description box. Should I just not bother? Would just the title of the paper and a note that it is submitted to a journal be enough? The only way I can think of submitting it is by attaching it to my resume since that's the only way to upload documents (unless I'm missing something?).

If it's relevant, I say put it in Publications! I asked a few schools about a poster for a project I PI'd and they said to put it there.

Edit: I just remembered that only SOME programs and schools have a "Publications" section where you can upload. (I know Emory and Columbia do.)

I would not submit the full abstract unless there's a section for that in any of the school's supplemental materials. Just give the citation and indicate which journal you submitted it to. If it gets accepted sometime during the application review process, I believe you can still add to achievements after submission. If you're really proud and excited about the work you did in this particular project, mention it in your SOP with some detail about the skills it helped you build.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can put posters in achievements?! I just have a long list of poster and oral presentations (many at national conferences) in my CV. I also have a manuscript that's in the review process & I also just put it on my CV under Manuscripts. Same with 2 manuscripts that will be submitted soon.

I guess I'm really hoping they take the time to scour my CV.

In for General Epidemiology MPH at University of Michigan!! Yay!

As my PI always says when something good happens: "Drink 10 more glasses of wine!":laugh: (No joke, she literally just texted me this again!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted to UMich Global Health Epidemiology today! This feels so early for an acceptance, I hope I'm not being punked! :soexcited:

Reactions: 5 users
Just accepted into the University of Michigan for the MPH in General Epidemiology!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!!! My stats are on page 1 if anyone cares to know :)

Reactions: 4 users
I just submitted my application to Columbia today. SOPHAS says it will take 4 weeks to process my application even though I submitted my transcript weeks ago. Will this mean that my application will not arrive at Columbia by the Dec 1 deadline?

I just submitted my application to Columbia today. SOPHAS says it will take 4 weeks to process my application even though I submitted my transcript weeks ago. Will this mean that my application will not arrive at Columbia by the Dec 1 deadline?
I would just call SOPHAS and ask them. Also Columbia.

Wait do you mean you are accepted to the program or they have recived all your materials? They told me about 4 weeks. Congrats if you were accepted!

It really depends on the program/department since it's different faculty that review it. I think 4 weeks is the max it'll take but it can be less.

Undergrad School: Furman University (small liberal arts school in SC)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.20/3.52 (Sophas verified)-
(Calc and Psych screwed me up).
Major/Minor: Health Sciences
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) 9/20/2017 V-152, Q-145. AWA-5.0
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
2 years as sports medicine student assistant (primarily with football)
1 year as personal trainer intern for faculty and staff at university (later became certified)
Study abroad at Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (Oceans and Human Health)
Spent a semester studying ischemic heart disease in Cuban population and developing a policy recommendation memo (class assignment)
Currently chiropractic receptionist

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: Environmental Health Sciences
Applied
(all submitted 11/1 and verified by sophas 11/7): Tulane (received 11/13), Indiana-Bloomington (received 11/15), University of South Carolina, East Tennessee State (11/8), University of Florida (11/8)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I am genuinely terrified I won't be accepted anywhere. Do I even have a shot???

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Big state school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Biology/ pre-med
GRE
(including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V:158 Q:153 AWA:3.5
Spent 2 years in a lab assisting in glaucoma research
Volunteered as a 'big sister' for 2 years
Multiple doctor shadows
Summer internship in the interventional radiology unit of Pinnacle Health Hospital
2 years as a community health educator for Peace Corps

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Looking to bridge my biology background with the global health experience I've had with Peace Corps. I'm interested in infectious disease tracks, global health epidemiology, etc.
Interested in: infectious disease
Applied
(include the date of application): Tulane - Tropical Medicine
GW - global health epi
NYU- cross continental mph
Yale- infectious disease
UCLA- Epi
BU- infectious disease
Drexel- epi
Emory- Global health

Accepted: Tulane , GW, NYU, Drexel, BU
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hi! I've recently been accepted into the cross continental mph program at NYU and I have about 273294 questions. With it being a newer program it's been hard to find any info/opinions on the program/people to reach out to. This program seems to be field work heavy, more so than most programs. While I see the benefits of more field work, I can also think of a few downsides of not having the typical style of a 2 year mph program. Anyone have any opinions/experience/advice on this topic or program?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
GRE
Multiple doctor shadows
Summer internship in the interventional radiology unit of Pinnacle Health Hospital

Looking to bridge my biology background with the global health experience I've had with Peace Corps. I'm interested in infectious disease tracks, global health epidemiology, etc.
Applied
GW - global health epi
Yale- infectious disease
UCLA- Epi
BU- infectious disease
Drexel- epi
Emory- Global health

Accepted: Tulane , GW, NYU
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hi! I've recently been accepted into the cross continental mph program at NYU and I have about 273294 questions. With it being a newer program it's been hard to find any info/opinions on the program/people to reach out to. This program seems to be field work heavy, more so than most programs. While I see the benefits of more field work, I can also think of a few downsides of not having the typical style of a 2 year mph program. Anyone have any opinions/experience/advice on this topic or program?

Hi!
I would definitely take a look at this thread: A word of caution to anyone considering the Cross-Continental MPH at NYU.

I did not apply to the program, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but any program with this many problems isn't worth the risk of potentially thousands of dollars of student debt + 2 years of your life. If this program is still your top choice, I would suggest calling them and asking them to address each of these complaints and even asking for the contact information of current students so you can talk to them and form your own opinion before making such a commitment.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
GRE
Multiple doctor shadows

Applied
GW - global health epi
Yale- infectious disease
UCLA- Epi
BU- infectious disease
Drexel- epi
Emory- Global health

Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I do not know much about the NYU program, but I am a current Yale EMD student and was accepted to infectious disease epi programs at GW, BU, and Columbia when I applied. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on the program!

Undergrad School: Small Liberal Arts
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.72 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/Minor:Biology
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE 11/19: Verbal- 157 and Quant 153, 4.5 or Other Test (if applicable):
1 year of post-grad research that is leading to a couple publications in ecology
1 year undergrad honors thesis research in ecology with poster presentation
2 month research internship with an epidemiologist at the Tulane School of Public Health and Trop Med
2 month research internship at the Yale School of Medicine
1 year Diabetes educator in free medical clinics
1 year volunteer in free medical clinics- took vitals, organized medicine etc.
4 years Student Government senator and treasurer
4 year varsity athlete
Conversational in Spanish- Study Abroad in Chile and shadowed doctors

Special factors:

Interested in: Epidemiology, chronic disease
Applied
(include the date of application): GW (epi) 11/20, Tulane (epi) 11/21, BU (epi) 11/21, Columbia (epi) 11/26, Emory (epi), Yale (chronic disease epi)
Accepted: GW (epi) 12/19, BU 12/21, Tulane (epi) 1/4, LSU (epi) 1/12
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Small Liberal Arts
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.72
Major/Minor:Biology
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE 11/19: Verbal- 157 and Quant 153, waiting on writing or Other Test (if applicable):
1 year of post-grad research that is leading to a couple publications in ecology
1 year undergrad honors thesis research in ecology with poster presentation
2 month research internship with an epidemiologist at the Tulane School of Public Health and Trop Med
2 month research internship at the Yale School of Medicine
1 year Diabetes educator in free medical clinics
1 year volunteer in free medical clinics- took vitals, organized medicine etc.
4 years Student Government senator and treasurer
4 year varsity athlete
Conversational in Spanish- Study Abroad in Chile and shadowed doctors

Special factors:

***I know my gre scores aren't great, but does anyone think I have a chance at some of these schools?***

Interested in: Epidemiology, chronic disease
Applied
(include the date of application): GW 11/20, Tulane, Emory, BU, Yale
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I had very similar stats as you. I had the same gpa although it was lowered with SOPHAS' verification and close gre scores (my verbal was only 155). I was recently accepted to GWU for epidemiology. You have good experiences. I think you have a chance of being accepted.

Hi everyone,

So I called UCLA and they have the same policy as Berkeley, you just have to click the e submit button by December 1st, the verification time doesn't affect it. Something I realized today however is that I payed for SOPHAS professional transcript entry service and that will delay my app even longer. I'm not sure if the transcript entry time would effect my apps or not in terms of the deadline. Has anyone used it before and can maybe provide some insight? There's sadly no way to cancel the service so I'm basically stuck with it

Undergrad School: Medium Sized State School - graduating spring 2018 from undergrad
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.63 Major - 3.54 SOPHAS
Major/Minor: Double Major - Healthcare Management and Marketing
GradGPA
(if applicable): none
Grad Studies (if applicable): none
GRE 11/19: Verbal- 156 (73%) 161 quant (78%)

Interested in: MHA or MPH-Healthcare Management

Applied
(include the date of application): Boston University, Columbia, UNT, UTHealth, Johns Hopkins, University of South Florida, NYU, Cornell, TWU, UH Clear Lake, Trinity

Accepted: UHCL, UTHealth, UNT, Boston University, NYU, Cornell
Interview: Cornell, Columbia, Trinity (declined interview), TWU (declined supplemental),
Rejected: JHU
Waitlisted:
Attending: Columbia! :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

So I called UCLA and they have the same policy as Berkeley, you just have to click the e submit button by December 1st, the verification time doesn't affect it. Something I realized today however is that I payed for SOPHAS professional transcript entry service and that will delay my app even longer. I'm not sure if the transcript entry time would effect my apps or not in terms of the deadline. Has anyone used it before and can maybe provide some insight? There's sadly no way to cancel the service so I'm basically stuck with it

I submitted my apps earlier this month with the professional transcript entry service. Mine took about 9 business days. Once they send it to you for your final approval MAKE SURE YOU VERIFY THE ENTRIES! I caught 2 mistakes on mine! If I could do it all over again I wouldn't have paid for this service! However, once I approved the entries it only took about 12hrs for my app to be verified...not sure how this happened so fast....SOPHAS is a very interesting system!

Reactions: 2 users
Undergrad School: Medium sized private research university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.59
Major/Minor: Double major in Environmental Science and Political Science
GRE
(including date taken): 10/09, V: 168, Q: 160, W: 5.0
  • Little/no research experience aside from academic capstone papers on lead poisoning, and on TSCA
  • 3 six-month co-ops (internships, basically) working full time in: 1) grant-based homeland security research, 2) public criminal law, and 3) nonprofit management
  • lots of leadership at school: RA, president/VP of internationally ranked model debate teams, TA for class
  • 4+ years of volunteer experience with a UN association that promotes model UN work with students in a large metropolitan area (including running conferences of 500-600 middle school students)
Special factors:
  • low-income, first in family to go to grad school, with a medical disability (I don't want to bank on it at all, but it was part of my application)

Interested in chronic and noncommunicable disease epidemiology

Applied
(include the date of application): All verified 11/21: Emory (Epi), BU (Epi), UMD-College Park (Epi), GWU (Epi), and UGA (Epi).
Accepted: GWU (Epi) (11/30), BU (Epi) (12/21)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I've been in the waiting game for <2 days, and I'm already so nervous! I'm hopeful that my lack of direct experience will be made up for by my stats, statements, and LORs, but it's so hard to wait this way!!

Last edited:
HOLY SHMOLY ACCEPTED INTO JOHN HOPKIN'S MSPH IN POPULATION, FAMILY AND REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH. AHHHH IM SO HAPPY

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Just joined SDN today and submitted my apps...super nervous! Good luck to everyone and any advice is appreciated.

Undergrad School:
University of San Diego
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.83/3.90
Major/Minor: Behavioral Neuroscience/Chemistry
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE 156Q/168V/5.0W
- 3+ years undergrad research at alma mater and paid internships (biopsychology, aging research)
- Honors thesis on neurobiology of developmental disabilities
- President of student social science research org
- 1.5 years clinical job (children/adolescents with learning disabilities and other mental health issues)
- 5 months research associate at psychiatric hospital
- 1 month intern at health services research helping with suicide prevention eval research
- 1 publication, 4 poster presentations at conferences
- Volunteer work for Boys & Girls club and local elementary schools
- currently enrolled in biostats certification program
- Proficient in SPSS, SAS, Excel data analysis
Special factors: None really, I included my family's experience with mental health very briefly in SOP as an intro to how my interest developed in program eval and public mental health

Interested in: psychiatric epidemiology, program evaluation, behavioral health, mental health, biostatistics
Applied(include the date of application): Columbia, University of Washington, UCLA, USC, San Diego State, Colorado School of Public Health, Oregon Health & Sciences/PSU (all submitted today)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Random venting but, anyone else annoyed that University of Washington doesn't participate in SOPHAS? Wastes so much time and I can't wrap my head around why they'd choose not to participate when literally every other top public health school does...

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all,

Does anyone remember if SOPHAS begins to verify your GPA once two recommendations are submitted or three?

Hi all,

Does anyone remember if SOPHAS begins to verify your GPA once two recommendations are submitted or three?
I believe it is two. But I’m sure checking their FAQ section will answer your question.

Undergrad School: State school in Florida
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.93/3.97 (on 4.0 scale)
Major/Minor: Psychology
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 151 V (52%) 156 Q (62%) 5 W (93%)
  • volunteer for 4 months at an nonprofit organization specializing in outpatient treatment for substance abuse disorders and criminal justice in adults and youth
  • volunteer for 4 months at nonprofit children's cancer organization
  • research assistant/coordinator for almost 2 years in mental health law and policy lab (federal grant for randomized clinical trial of substance abuse treatment program research) at inpatient facilities (test administration, coordinating study participants, basic analyses, biolog data collection (electrocardiogram), qualitative data analysis and manuscript authorship)
  • research assistant for 7 months in clinical psychology psychopathy lab (mostly data entry/literature review)
  • internship for 7 months at neuropsychological clinic (administer numerous structured interviews as neurobehavioral assessment, write up reports, score tests, etc.)
  • worked 6 months in baker act form receiving facility (entered data of baker acts/psychological assessments)
  • 1 published paper, 1 paper under review (3rd author on both but both in established journals)
  • 1 poster presentation at undergraduate research colloquium on my own research proposal (topic is on self-esteem, prosociality, parental enforcement of normative gender roles)
Special factors:

Interested in: I'm interested in policy work in South Asian populations (whether it be with immigrants in America or directly in South Asian countries) for promoting mental health care. Overall, I want to find ways to improve how mental health is viewed and discussed in this population by developing culture-specific programs, intervening on the stigma, etc.
**Global mental health, SMS or Policy/Management**
Applied(include the date of application): Columbia (MPH in SMS or Health Policy/Management, certificate in Health Communication - PLEASE help me choose on SMS or HPM I cannot decide and really need to at this point); Johns Hopkins (MHS in Mental Health, interested because they offer free certificates i.e., Health Communication, Health Policy, Health Education) that you can complete during your MHS); Northwestern (MPH in Global Health); Emory (MPH in Behavioral Sciences and Health Education); BU (MPH in Health Communication and Promotion - certificate in mental health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Any suggestions for more programs to apply to? Thanks!! Also, what do you guys think my chances are? I appreciate the help.

I'd also consider Tulane, Emory and University of Washington, all solid schools.

The problem with BU is that their certificate program is new (and possibly somewhat of a marketing technique) and so I wouldn't expect their program to be solid for several more years. It was more an issue of, "Oh, our students are paying a lot for an MPH here, so we need to add on something of value like Columbia . . . let's try to copy Columbia", or "we need to attract students like Columbia, let's do what they do!"

I believe it is two. But I’m sure checking their FAQ section will answer your question.
I already looked at the FAQ and while it said two, my application does not say it's in the verification stage but says it's complete (the second letter was uploaded Friday so it wouldn't have already been in verification). Thanks.

Ughhh, i just realized I can still go submit my application on SOPHAS even there is only one recommendation submitted.
I remember FAQs section says two, so i kept waiting for the references for about one month....
Wasted so much time, I have not submitted any of my applications yet:(((

Last edited:
Ughhh, i just realized I can still go submit my application on SOPHAS even there is only one recommendation submitted.
I remember FAQs section says two, so i kept waiting for the references for about one month....
Waisted so much time, I have not submitted any of my applications yet:(((

If I recall correctly, they recommend you submit as soon as you can, regardless of test scores and recommendations. However, you need 2 recommendations in order for your application to be considered "complete." Only then is your application on line to be verified, which can take weeks.

If I recall correctly, they recommend you submit as soon as you can, regardless of test scores and recommendations. However, you need 2 recommendations in order for your application to be considered "complete." Only then is your application on line to be verified, which can take weeks.
Thanks for recalling!
I am super nervous now, since applying late...:( I'll submit the application soon, and keep on waiting for all LoRs to be completed.
Although two other references procrastinates, I believe they are very strong, hopefully

Undergrad School: Clemson University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.12 (low gpa due to personal illness and terminally sick parent -strong upward trend)
Major/Minor: Biological Sciences
GRE: Taken in September; V:165 Q:153 AWA:5
Experience/Research:
-Undergraduate botany-related research x2; tiger conservation research x1
-3.5 years paid work in hospital in cardiology and emergency settings (experience with infectious disease/control, zika, aids, etc)
-Shadowing hours with multiple doctors
-Tutor/mentor to high-risk, inner-city kids with social/emotional/behavioral issues who do not meet educational competencies
-Currently adjunct instructor at community college teaching health-related courses; closely work with students below poverty line
-Ronald McDonald House volunteer
Special Factors:
-First generation college graduate
-Held a job (sometimes two jobs at once) my entire college career, while also caring for sick parent

Interests: primary-infectious disease (particularly mosquito-vector diseases); secondary-health disparities and chronic health issues

Interested in: Tulane, Emory, Yale, GWU, Pitt, USF, UTH
Applied: Tulane
(verified 11/27)
Accepted: Tulane (12/20 -Attending)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Wasted so much time, I have not submitted any of my applications yet:(((

I ran into the same problem with my recommendations and ultimately had to change one person out to get all three of mine completed. However, I submitted my application this past Friday and it has already been verified. So hopefully, like me, applying late in the game won't be such a big deal.

If it's of use to anyone, I submitted my SOPHAS application yesterday and received notification that it had been verified today -- less than 24 hours.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if Harvard's MPH-65 credit two year work experience requirement is post-grad work experience only or during undergrad? I have more than two years experience working part time at a non-profit during my undergrad and really want to apply to one of their programs (MPH in Health Policy).

If it's of use to anyone, I submitted my SOPHAS application yesterday and received notification that it had been verified today -- less than 24 hours.

Did you send your transcript through an online program (i.e. parchment?). If yes, where did you send it to? SOPHAS doesn't show up but ASPH does, which is where I sent it, though it says it still hasn't been received form the SOPHAS side despite me getting a notification that it has been received from my university's side.

GRE
Multiple doctor shadows

Applied
GW - global health epi
Yale- infectious disease
UCLA- Epi
BU- infectious disease
Drexel- epi
Emory- Global health

Rejected:
Waitlisted:

When did you submit to / hear back from NYU? Congrats!

Did you send your transcript through an online program (i.e. parchment?). If yes, where did you send it to? SOPHAS doesn't show up but ASPH does, which is where I sent it, though it says it still hasn't been received form the SOPHAS side despite me getting a notification that it has been received from my university's side.

Hi! Yes, I was quite confused myself with regard to sending transcripts. But this is what I did, and it worked:

While my alma mater uses Parchment, I wasn't able to find SOPHAS on the drop-down menu either. So I contacted my school directly and ordered an official transcript to be sent directly to SOPHAS by following the instructions on the SOPHAS FAQ

U.S. and English Canadian Transcripts
  1. Contact the registrar at EACH institution you attended and request ONE transcript be sent to SOPHAS. You only need to submit ONE transcript from each school which you attended, regardless as to how many programs you are applying to.
  2. Provide the registrar with the following items:
    • The SOPHAS Transcript Request Form
    • Any school-specific forms the registrar requires
    • Any transcript fees the registrar charges
    • All information the registrar needs to properly identify you in the school’s database
    • Any name changes if your name on your SOPHAS application is different
    • Your SOPHAS ID#
    • The SOPHAS mailing address (see below)

IMPORTANT:
      If you are requesting a transcript online, we understand you cannot include the transcript request form. Instead, include the word “SOPHAS ID#” and your FULL SOPHAS ID# when you are typing our address into the field for where you want the company to mail the transcript. This way, your SOPHAS ID# will print onto the transcript as part of the address label and we can match your transcript to your application.
As mentioned in the "IMPORTANT" paragraph, I didn't include the transcript request form, but I included my SOPHAS ID number together with the address, like this:

SOPHAS ID#XXXXXXXXXX
SOPHAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9111
Watertown, MA 02471

It took probably 2-3 days for my school registrar to process the official transcript, and 2-3 days for it to reach SOPHAS, as I received the acknowledgement of receipt of my transcript from SOPHAS approximately around a week later.

Hope this helps!

Undergrad School: Oregon State
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1/~3.0
Major/Minor: Biological Sciences/Public Health
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 157/157 (Unofficial)
- Recruitment/Involvement Coordinator in Society of Healthcare Executives @ OSU
- 3 months coaching children @ parks & Rec Football
- Work 20 hours per week in an office job while going to school
Special factors:
-3.9 GPA in public health courses

Interested in: Health Management & Policy
Applied
(include the date of application): Oregon State University, San Diego State University, University of Arizona
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I am looking for some advice from the crowd. Am I realistic in my school choices with my lack of experience? Do I need to apply to more schools and more safety schools? Any advice is welcomed!

Hey everyone! Serious question. I was planning to submit this week but did terrible on my GRE so I'm retaking Dec 18th. Am i pretty much making it hard for myself to get in if I submit my app on Dec 19th/20th? please help! I dont wanna submit now with my GRE scores at 146Q and 150V

Hey everyone! Serious question. I was planning to submit this week but did terrible on my GRE so I'm retaking Dec 18th. Am i pretty much making it hard for myself to get in if I submit my app on Dec 19th/20th? please help! I dont wanna submit now with my GRE scores at 146Q and 150V
When are your applications due? Is it rolling admissions? For non-rolling admissions, as long as you submit before the due date (not even verified, just e-submitted) you should be fine granted your incomplete materials arrive within a 2 week period (i.e. Harvard). For rolling admissions, usually if your application is not complete by the priority deadline, you *might* be at a slight disadvantage--that's just the nature of rolling admissions--but probably not that much to worry about (i.e. Tulane).

Does anyone know if Harvard's MPH-65 credit two year work experience requirement is post-grad work experience only or during undergrad? I have more than two years experience working part time at a non-profit during my undergrad and really want to apply to one of their programs (MPH in Health Policy).

HI!
I went to an online chat earlier this year where it seemed that they were pretty stringent when it came to what they considered work experience. Of course, I would email them directly to clarify but on the website it states in multiple places:

The 65-credit MPH (MPH-65) is for individuals with a minimum of two years of post-baccalaureate work experience in a relevant public health field. You can complete this full-time program in three semesters with a summer practicum experience between the second and third semesters....

and

Applicants for the MPH-65 degree must have bachelor’s degree, plus two or more years of post-baccalaureate work experience in a relevant public health field. Specific admissions requirements vary for certain fields of study within the MPH 65-credit program.

HI!
I went to an online chat earlier this year where it seemed that they were pretty stringent when it came to what they considered work experience. Of course, I would email them directly to clarify but on the website it states in multiple places:

The 65-credit MPH (MPH-65) is for individuals with a minimum of two years of post-baccalaureate work experience in a relevant public health field. You can complete this full-time program in three semesters with a summer practicum experience between the second and third semesters....

and

Applicants for the MPH-65 degree must have bachelor’s degree, plus two or more years of post-baccalaureate work experience in a relevant public health field. Specific admissions requirements vary for certain fields of study within the MPH 65-credit program.

Thanks! Guess I'll have to see what roles through this cycle or otherwise work and wait to apply to this one

Quick question guys...when a program says "complete applications submitted by the Dec. 1st deadline will receive priority consideration for scholarships," what do they mean?
Does this mean just e-submtiting sophas by Dec. 1st will put us in the priority group? Or do the letters, transcripts and GRE scores need to be in by then too?

Has anyone who applied to Cal gotten a confirmation that your application was received? My app was verified over a week ago and I have gotten confirmation from all the other school I applied to except Cal.

Quick question guys...when a program says "complete applications submitted by the Dec. 1st deadline will receive priority consideration for scholarships," what do they mean?
Does this mean just e-submtiting sophas by Dec. 1st will put us in the priority group? Or do the letters, transcripts and GRE scores need to be in by then too?
This is a question to ask the school since every place is different. However, most schools I applied to just want SOPHAS to have the application e-submitted by then.

The same happened to me. I think it might have been because they were waiting for the second letter of recommendation to verify the application but they had my transcript for about a month.

Hi All. In need of some advice. I'm currently in a class that I elected to take Pass/Fail because we were finishing the class double-speed because the Professor was moving abroad for sabbatical but still wanted to teach the course. I'm right on the cusp of passing or not getting credit and I'd really like to know because I'll withdraw from the course before the non-punitive deadline to avoid a failing grade for SOPHAS GPA purposes. However, the professor is basically refusing to let me know my grade before the withdraw deadline. Any advice? Should I just withdraw from the course so I'm not playing with fire?

Hi All. In need of some advice. I'm currently in a class that I elected to take Pass/Fail because we were finishing the class double-speed because the Professor was moving abroad for sabbatical but still wanted to teach the course. I'm right on the cusp of passing or not getting credit and I'd really like to know because I'll withdraw from the course before the non-punitive deadline to avoid a failing grade for SOPHAS GPA purposes. However, the professor is basically refusing to let me know my grade before the withdraw deadline. Any advice? Should I just withdraw from the course so I'm not playing with fire?

Has your GPA already been calculated for SOPHAS? If so then I don't think this would have any bearing on your SOPHAS GPA:

Q: My GPA has been calculated and my application mailed to schools, but I have now completed my in-progress work. Can SOPHAS update my GPA?
A: NO. If your GPA has already been calculated, SOPHAS may NOT update your GPA. You MAY, however, update the coursework section of your application to report these new grades to your SOPHAS programs, but they will NOT be verified by SOPHAS and they will NOT factor into your SOPHAS GPA. Please see the “Updating the Application/Academic Update” section of our FAQ for detailed instructions.