MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
probably just means that some members of the admissions team recommend you for admission and now they're gonna take a final vote with the rest of the members. The same thing happened with me for another program I applied to

You were right! Just got an official acceptance on the portal.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For Michigan HBHE I just got a “recommendation for admission” message. Anybody know what this means?
See my post from earlier in the thread. It basically means the department has accepted you, but they have to forward their decision to Admissions for final approval.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in at GW Global Health Policy!:soexcited: My Emory GH was rejected and was sent to HPM so my fingers are crossed. My JHU MHS Health Econ was rejected. Part of me wishes that I didn't apply for during this cycle to ensure my stats were more competitive. But the cycle is not over yet for me so I'm remaining hopeful. Hopefully, my UNC interview next week is amazing. UNC and JHU MSPH are my top choices. Somebody pray for me! lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So Emory's webinar was not that helpful. Here are my notes:
  • The cost of living is estimated at $9004 per academic year (I believe this number includes health insurance costs)
  • Maximum Stafford unsubsidized loan amount for full-time students is $33,000 per academic year, at 6.00% interest with 1.066% fees
  • Scholarships are awarded through the departments
  • Only about 40 merit scholarships are offered each year
  • The REAL award maximum is $2500 per semester, awarded first-come first-serve
  • The Rollins Pathway grant is $10,000 over two years (I want this one)
  • Utilities are cheap and gas is relatively cheap
  • Don't hold out hope for getting new scholarships after your first year

Reactions: 13 users
My girlfriend and I got accepted for Columbia's MPH Sociomedical Sciences and MS Biostatistics Theory and Methods, respectively, on January 22. Not sure about MPH Epi.

Congrats! When did you guys submit the application? Was before the priority ddl?

Been religiously following this thread the past few weeks to calm my nerves as I waited on decisions so wanted to post in case it helps others with timeline estimates, etc...

Just accepted into JHU full-time MPH via portal (no email yet) - submitted 12/1, sent for review 12/10
Also got the acceptance from GWU for the Community-Oriented Primary Care MPH yesterday - it's been a good week!

GPA: 3.66
MCAT: 512 (126,128,127,131)
Work Experience: 5 years

Applied: JHU (12/1), GWU (12/15)
Accepted: JHU (2/9), GWU (2/8)

Reactions: 8 users
I lived in Baltimore for 9 months (my then-girlfriend was at Hopkins med) and I loved it. It has a bad reputation but it's a wonderful city.

I second this - Baltimore is a great city! I lived there for a year and LOVED it. It has everything you would want in an urban environment, but also is close enough to DC (and even NYC) to fulfill all of your "bigger" city needs. I never felt more unsafe there than I have in any other city, and from a healthcare perspective, it is an incredibly interesting environment to work in.

Re: the program, I'm also a bit concerned about the pace, but I'm eager to talk to current students to hear their take.

Reactions: 3 users
So Emory's webinar was not that helpful. Here are my notes:
  • The cost of living is estimated at $9004 per academic year (I believe this number includes health insurance costs)
  • Maximum Stafford unsubsidized loan amount for full-time students is $33,000 per academic year, at 6.00% interest with 1.066% fees
  • Scholarships are awarded through the departments
  • Only about 40 merit scholarships are offered each year
  • The REAL award maximum is $2500 per semester, awarded first-come first-serve
  • The Rollins Pathway grant is $10,000 over two years (I want this one)
  • Utilities are cheap and gas is relatively cheap
  • Don't hold out hope for getting new scholarships after your first year
How do we apply for the Rollins Pathway grant? What are the qualifications? Thanks by the way!

I've been waiting soooo impatiently for HSB. It's my top choice. I have a friend that got in last year and she said she got her acceptance around Valentine's Day... I don't want to wait another week :///

Same here! I'm hoping to stay in California so I hope to hear good news.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted to UW COPHP!!! Anyone from UW have any insight on how that program compares to a more traditional program in terms of how it's perceived in the job market, etc.?

Reactions: 6 users
Not sure if anyone else saw this on the GW admitted students' Facebook page, but scholarship announcements will continue into next week. So don't despair if you haven't been notified yet!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted into Columbia University's MPH in Epidemiology today! Anyone have any concrete idea on how generous Columbia is with finnacial aid? Some people made it sound like they don't really give out much so I'm not sure if I should get too excited considering how expensive NYC and tuition is :(

Also, forgot to post it here but received $15000 Deans Scholarship and $3000 First Generation Achievement Grant from George Washington University a few days ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
How do we apply for the Rollins Pathway grant? What are the qualifications? Thanks by the way!
You're automatically considered as long as you filed FAFSA (if your a US student, things are different for international students). Departments nominate "deserving" students an there's no set number of awards per year.

So I just got an email from GW. They offered me the Milken Public Health Scholar award, which covers 100% of my tuition. On the one hand I'm super pleased to get offered that much money. But at the same time, they really aren't my top choice academically, so now I'm really torn. I'm not trying to complain or anything, I just don't like making decisions, you know?

Reactions: 21 users
Has anyone heard back from UNC MPH/RD program yet?
There's no way they won't send out decisions next week because UW's MPH/RD is finalizing decisions today and notifying next week and those are two competing programs. Also UW only gives you 10 days to choose soooo haha

Hey guys! Has anyone received financial aid info from UCLA and/or know when we should expect to hear from them? Thanks!

Accepted into Columbia University's MPH in Epidemiology today! Anyone have any concrete idea on how generous Columbia is with finnacial aid? Some people made it sound like they don't really give out much so I'm not sure if I should get too excited considering how expensive NYC and tuition is :(

Also, forgot to post it here but received $15000 Deans Scholarship and $3000 First Generation Achievement Grant from George Washington University a few days ago.

Congratulations! So this is that second wave of acceptances, it seems. Would you please tell your stats?
Anyone else got in Epi? Looking from the last year trend, the accepted students got informed first and then came rejections. where is that Xanax!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations! So this is that second wave of acceptances, it seems. Would you please tell your stats?
Anyone else got in Epi? Looking from the last year trend, the accepted students got informed first and then came rejections. where is that Xanax!
Any idea on how many waves of acceptances there are? Getting really nervous now ;/

Accepted to Oregon State! Now to wait on SDSU and Arizona!

Reactions: 3 users
Any idea on how many waves of acceptances there are? Getting really nervous now ;/
I think I saw two. But I could be wrong. Hopefully!

Thank you for those who responded to my question about Columbia! Luckily, I received the acceptance letter today to MPH Epi program. I submitted on 1/15. Does Columbia send out scholarship offer separately or just included in the offer?

Is anyone else still waiting on Colorado? I saw some people got in so I'm getting nervous that I haven't heard anything....

I just got an email that I've been accepted on 2/8. My application was verified shortly before the priority deadline (1/10).

I am wondering about funding, though, because the email didn't mention anything about scholarships, aid, etc. It also didn't even mention whether I'd be receiving any official acceptance in the mail, or if the email is the official acceptance.

So I just got an email from GW. They offered me the Milken Public Health Scholar award, which covers 100% of my tuition. On the one hand I'm super pleased to get offered that much money. But at the same time, they really aren't my top choice academically, so now I'm really torn. I'm not trying to complain or anything, I just don't like making decisions, you know?
I totally understand. I'm kind of indecisive when it comes to these kind of things. I like weighing in pros and con, especially the location. The school could be amazing but the surrounding environment/location might give me second thoughts. Lol

Anyone else get an email from UCI to access your financial aid information? I haven't heard back yet... so now I'm anticipating an acceptance/rejection.

Reactions: 4 users
Still waiting to hear back from Yale and Vanderbilt. I can't handle these marketing emails.. :beat:

Also, financial aid from GW. Did you receive it with your acceptance letter or does it come separately with the rest of your financial aid?

--
GPA:
3.2 || GRE: 148 V; 156 Q; 3.5 W
Background: Biology B.S., Psych Minor, 4 years xp free clinics
Interest: Social Epidemiology, Health Disparities, Global Health, LGBT Health
Applied: GW (12/15), BU (12/28), Columbia (1/15), Vanderbilt (1/15), Yale (1/16)
Accepted: BU+18k (1/30), GW (2/2)
Attending:
I was put on the wait list for vanderbilt on 2/1

I just got an email that I've been accepted on 2/8. My application was verified shortly before the priority deadline (1/10).

I am wondering about funding, though, because the email didn't mention anything about scholarships, aid, etc. It also didn't even mention whether I'd be receiving any official acceptance in the mail, or if the email is the official acceptance.

Congrats! What program did you apply to?

Congrats! What program did you apply to?

Thanks. Applied Biostats. :) I also applied to Epi as a 2nd choice; I was told the acceptance rate for AB was just under 60%, which I thought was relatively low for an MPH program, especially not at a top tier/Ivy school. So I definitely considered the possibility of not being competitive enough.

It feels kind of unreal right now, but that's partly because the whole funding situation makes it more...unrealistic (I still have loans from undergrad to deal with). haha

Anyone else get an email from UCI to access your financial aid information? I haven't heard back yet... so now I'm anticipating an acceptance/rejection.

Yes I got the same email but also haven’t heard anything about a decision. Not sure what that means

I totally understand. I'm kind of indecisive when it comes to these kind of things. I like weighing in pros and con, especially the location. The school could be amazing but the surrounding environment/location might give me second thoughts. Lol
Yeah, it's a good school. But the thing is, I want to focus on psychiatric epidemiology, and GW doesn't really offer that. But still, I don't want to go into huge debt.

Got the BU financial aid email earlier this week and only received an extra $4000 in need based aid with all the rest in loans. It’s hard thinking about all the loans I would need to take out on top of the high rent for the city

Of course! (Reminds me I should probably update my signature.) Here ya go:

Undergrad School: University of California
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.53 (non-SOPHAS gpa)
Major/Minor: Biology Major, Applied Statistics Minor
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 164 v 155 q 4.0 w
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

* Research Assistant in Entomology department for 3+ years, in the process of publishing a paper
* Supplemental instructor and mentor at my schools academic resource center
* Community service chair and physician recruiter for local Global Brigades chapter on campus, we'd set up medical clinics and build public health/sanitation projects in rural and undeserved areas of Honduras and Nicaragua every year along with doing service projects in the local community.
* Volunteer at local Kaiser Permanente medical center, got to rotate through numerous departments
* Records coordinator for Kaiser volunteer program, helped maintain and update TB, immunization records, etc.
* VP for health fitness org on campus that encouraged students to lead healthier lives through weekly exercise.
* Community outreach member for free clinic in a near by severely impoverished and undeserved city
* Volunteer in another local free clinic, committee was responsible for connecting patients with low cost and sometimes free medication programs through companies like Teva

Special factors:

* LORs form my entomology research PI, from a biology professor I supplemental instructed with multiple times, and from a statistics professor I took numerous courses with
* second generation arab american, first in immediate family to finish a bachelors degree

Last edited:
Everyday the more I learn about Emory's Global Health program, the more excited I am. The certificate programs. Atlanta alone. The opportunities, I think my mind is 80% set.

Everyday the more I learn about Emory's Global Health program, the more excited I am. The certificate programs. Atlanta alone. The opportunities, I think my mind is 80% set.
Same! Being in the Facebook admit group and having my questions and concerns answered by current students is making the ultimate decision easier every day. Also, the various opportunities to work/volunteer at CDC is definitely exciting to me! Once I go to Visit Emory next month, hopefully I'll be 100% certain. :)

Reactions: 2 users

Same! Being in the Facebook admit group and having my questions and concerns answered by current students is making the ultimate decision easier every day. Also, the various opportunities to work/volunteer at CDC is definitely exciting to me! Once I go to Visit Emory next month, hopefully I'll be 100% certain. :)

Same! I've been obsessed with everything CDC and Epi related for the last few years and Emory was always my go to program when I first started looking into all this stuff. Barring some serious finnacial difference I'm about 90% sure I'll be going to Emory. Reminds me, I should probably join that Facebook group! Haven't used my account in a while so I've kinda been lazy about it. Would you mind elaborating on what current students have been saying about the CDC connections, are they as strong as Emory makes it sound? I know around half of their adjunct faculty work there, but I just want to make sure I'm not jumping to conclusions or anything haha.

Did anyone else get the email from Johns Hopkins for their Financial Aid website - SIS? It says we can submit the public health financial aid application on there, but I can't find it - has it just not been updated yet?

UPDATE: I did find the application. It's under a "MENU" under the financial aid tab.

Last edited:
Of course! (Reminds me I should probably update my signature.) Here ya go:

Hey! Congratulations. I am still waiting to hear from Columbia :/
If it’s oaky with you, can you let me know that when did your application get verified after submitting it on 15th Jan?
Thank you so much!! Congratulations again :D

Did anyone else get the email from Johns Hopkins for their Financial Aid website - SIS? It says we can submit the public health financial aid application on there, but I can't find it - has it just not been updated yet?

UPDATE: I did find the application. It's under a "MENU" under the financial aid tab.

Can you show us what it looks like? I don't know where to find it...

2a5k510.jpg

Got my first and only rejection this morning...from UCLA...my alma mater...this is awkward. lol After everything I've went through and did for them! JK :p

Got my first and only rejection this morning...from UCLA...my alma mater...this is awkward. lol After everything I've went through and did for them! JK :p
Sorry to hear that, I have a feeling alma mater doesn’t favor you :( I think mine might reject me too. Where you thinking of going?

Sorry to hear that, I have a feeling alma mater doesn’t favor you :( I think mine might reject me too. Where you thinking of going?
Yeah I was expecting a rejection for that reason but it still kind of stings, you know? For the past few years, after going to a couple health professional school conferences and workshops, Emory has been my dream school to pursue my MPH. I thought getting in would be a pipe dream and now I'm glad to say that it isn't! Even with all things considered with costs of moving cross country, adapting to a new state, and other factors, I'm 90% sure I'll end up at Emory. What about you?

I didn't know there was a facebook group, how do you join it? Are you invited or can you ask to join?

Also rejected by my alma mater so I know the pain. At least it was our only rejections and also forces us to go somewhere else...