MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't know there was a facebook group, how do you join it? Are you invited or can you ask to join?

Figured it out!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also rejected by my alma mater so I know the pain. At least it was our only rejections and also forces us to go somewhere else...
You got that right. It stings a little but it's nice to step out of my comfort zone and consider other great schools other than the one I just spent 4 years in. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no way they won't send out decisions next week because UW's MPH/RD is finalizing decisions today and notifying next week and those are two competing programs. Also UW only gives you 10 days to choose soooo haha

I've noticed the trend on here that students are typically notified the first or second week of Feb (as UNC claims they are competitive with DICAS). I wonder why they are waiting until next week. Carolina is the only school I applied to so I'm very nervous!

Yeah I was expecting a rejection for that reason but it still kind of stings, you know? For the past few years, after going to a couple health professional school conferences and workshops, Emory has been my dream school to pursue my MPH. I thought getting in would be a pipe dream and now I'm glad to say that it isn't! Even with all things considered with costs of moving cross country, adapting to a new state, and other factors, I'm 90% sure I'll end up at Emory. What about you?
Omg that’s amazing! :) And well haha you see, I’m amongst one of those people that are still waiting. :( I only heard back from NYU which waitlisted me, so I’m kinda back to square one. I literally applied to 2 more schools just because of this anxiety.

Got into Columbia yesterday! I was worried because they didnt offer me an interview.

Reactions: 7 users
Can you show us what it looks like? I don't know where to find it...

2a5k510.jpg
Just spent fifteen minutes looking for this as well. Almost sent JHSPH an email, haha. Finally figured it out!

Here's how to access it:

(1) Click on "Summary" underneath the "Financial Aid" tab, shown in your picture above.
(2) You'll see a "Menu" button above the "Welcome, [yourname]!" message.
(3) Click on that "Menu" button, and the dropdown menu should include "Applications."

Reactions: 2 users
Just spent fifteen minutes looking for this as well. Almost sent JHSPH an email, haha. Finally figured it out!

Here's how to access it:

(1) Click on "Summary" underneath the "Financial Aid" tab, shown in your picture above.
(2) You'll see a "Menu" button above the "Welcome, [yourname]!" message.
(3) Click on that "Menu" button, and the dropdown menu should include "Applications."

Woah, thank you so much! Totally missed that ha ha

Hey! Congratulations. I am still waiting to hear from Columbia :/
If it’s oaky with you, can you let me know that when did your application get verified after submitting it on 15th Jan?
Thank you so much!! Congratulations again :D

Why thank you! Since I submitted to UCLA and Berkeley on Dec 1st it took till December 15th for my app to be verified. So when I submitted on the 15th of January it was basically instantly processed. They actually forgot to send me one of those "your application has been received" emails so I ended up having to email them to confirm it had actually gone through (it had).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for those who responded to my question about Columbia! Luckily, I received the acceptance letter today to MPH Epi program. I submitted on 1/15. Does Columbia send out scholarship offer separately or just included in the offer?
My scholarship info was sent 2 days after my acceptance!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else get an email from UCI to access your financial aid information? I haven't heard back yet... so now I'm anticipating an acceptance/rejection.
SAME I was like ???

Just booked my flights to Yale and UC berkeley for the open house days. Man that was not cheap.. Let me know if anyone is planning to attend those!

Reactions: 4 users
@ Hopkins acceptees, when did you get your SIS ID? They just accepted me Friday and I haven't received anything yet, but I want to get my application in as soon as possible.

People who haven’t heard anything back from Columbia, are you getting emails like “Global Opportunities with Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health” and “Our Diverse Mailman Community” ?

One of these emails have “As the Director of the Office of Diversity, Culture, and Inclusion, I am excited about the curricular and co-curricular initiatives that we are undertaking here at Mailman, which include the Self, Social, and Global Awareness program for students, teacher assistant and faculty training, and Equity grants that support students in their efforts to create programming for our community. Rooted in our commitment to develop structural competency and cultural humility, our programs are the result of collaborations between faculty, students, and staff. I welcome you to join us in this work.” in their email body.

I am getting so anxious. Haven’t heard back from them yet and these emails get me excited and then I get back to reality. Please let me know. Thank you!!

People who haven’t heard anything back from Columbia, are you getting emails like “Global Opportunities with Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health” and “Our Diverse Mailman Community” ?

One of these emails have “As the Director of the Office of Diversity, Culture, and Inclusion, I am excited about the curricular and co-curricular initiatives that we are undertaking here at Mailman, which include the Self, Social, and Global Awareness program for students, teacher assistant and faculty training, and Equity grants that support students in their efforts to create programming for our community. Rooted in our commitment to develop structural competency and cultural humility, our programs are the result of collaborations between faculty, students, and staff. I welcome you to join us in this work.” in their email body.

I am getting so anxious. Haven’t heard back from them yet and these emails get me excited and then I get back to reality. Please let me know. Thank you!!
I was admitted a few weeks ago, but I was receiving those kinds of emails before I was admitted. It was super annoying. I even got one that said "Welcome to Manhattan" as its subject line and I was like ???

Reactions: 3 users
I was admitted a few weeks ago, but I was receiving those kinds of emails before I was admitted. It was super annoying. I even got one that said "Welcome to Manhattan" as its subject line and I was like ???

Eh hate these emails. I now feel what you felt back then. Really hoping to hear back soonest, but looks like acceptance wave just passed tch tch.

Though thank you for your prompt response.

Does JHU's MSPH program weigh any less than Columbia's MPH program?I'm just thinking in terms of job opportunities after graduation, do you think there are certain jobs which would prefer someone who has an MPH, since it is an accredited program, over an MSPH? I feel like Columbia's MPH would give me broader skills set versus a more area focused MSPH from JHU. Also, I somehow feel the capstone (JHU)seems so much less legit than an actual thesis (Columbia). I could be totally wrong. lol. But then as a medical professional JHU has just always been such a dream for me, not sure if I wanna give that up.

Haha I was receiving those emails and I didn't even apply to Columbia. lol

Reactions: 2 users
Does JHU's MSPH program weigh any less than Columbia's MPH program?I'm just thinking in terms of job opportunities after graduation, do you think there are certain jobs which would prefer someone who has an MPH, since it is an accredited program, over an MSPH? I feel like Columbia's MPH would give me broader skills set versus a more area focused MSPH from JHU. Also, I somehow feel the capstone (JHU)seems so much more less legit than an actual thesis (Columbia). I would be totally wrong. lol. But then as a medical professional JHU has just always been such a dream for me, not sure if I wanna give that up.
Both schools are top tier and well-known to the public health world. I don't think jobs weigh one kind of degree over the other. You can try talking to almuni or current students about their experience in landing a job after graduation.

Both schools are top tier and well-known to the public health world. I don't think jobs weigh one kind of degree over the other. You can try talking to almuni or current students about their experience in landing a job after graduation.
Hey! thanks! I hope that is the case!

Sorry to hear that you got rejected by your own UCLA. But you got Emory anyways so ;)

Just curious if anyone has any statistics on admission/enrollment rates at JHU. I found those data on UW and Columbia if anyone is curious. :p

Just curious if anyone has any statistics on admission/enrollment rates at JHU. I found those data on UW and Columbia if anyone is curious. :p

I believe the admission rate for MPH is 50%. Not sure about enrollment.

Hey! thanks! I hope that is the case!

Sorry to hear that you got rejected by your own UCLA. But you got Emory anyways so ;)
Thanks, I thought Emory was harder to get into and getting rejected from UCLA kind of thrown me off a bit. lol Emory was the one school I was worried about not getting into, so in the end no feelings were much harmed in the process. :cool:

Is it not creepy that there are sponsored ads from Columbia U on both my facebook and Instagram feeds that says" Congratulations on your acceptance to Mailman - Visit the admitted student portal" and if you click on it, it directly links me to the admission portal????? HOW did they creep into my Facebook and Instagram, when I clearly didn't even use the same email for the application. I feel watched and exposed and also violated..... And is this where our tuition goes....I guess this is not news in this day and age...

Reactions: 9 users
Thanks, I thought Emory was harder to get into and getting rejected from UCLA kind of thrown me off a bit. lol Emory was the one school I was worried about not getting into, so in the end no feelings were much harmed in the process. :cool:
Definitely know how you feel since I got rejected from my alma mater as well :'( But we get to spread our wings!

Is it not creepy that there are sponsored ads from Columbia U on both my facebook and Instagram feeds that says" Congratulations on your acceptance to Mailman - Visit the admitted student portal" and if you click on it, it directly links me to the admission portal????? HOW did they creep into my Facebook and Instagram, when I clearly didn't even use the same email for the application. I feel watched and exposed and also violated..... And is this where our tuition goes....I guess this is not news in this day and age...
Wow. That is next-level internet stalking. I almost admire it.

Wow. That is next-level internet stalking. I almost admire it.
I took a Bio Data Analysis class during my last year in college and you'll be surprised how the Internet keeps tabs on the websites you visit and the links you click on. There's some kind of algorithm that is calculated and results in the ads that you see in your Facebook news feed.

The JHU MSPH average GPA is 3.25 and average GRE scores are usually in the 70th percentile.

In the same shoes as you! Still waiting for Columbia as well!

In the same shoes as you! Still waiting for Columbia as well!
I applied to Columbia late November and saw people getting in even though they applied after I did... Kind of nervous but I'm just going to think that they have a lot of applications to go through. :grumpy: I don't know why I'm getting impatient even though Columbia isn't one of my top choices.

I applied to Columbia late November and saw people getting in even though they applied after I did... Kind of nervous but I'm just going to think that they have a lot of applications to go through. :grumpy: I don't know why I'm getting impatient even though Columbia isn't one of my top choices.
I think a lot of it is just wanting to know our options first. I know personally I haven’t gotten anything back yet, so I’m just desperate to hear back from something :( good news is there should be a lot of decisions rolling out this week from schools in general.

I think a lot of it is just wanting to know our options first. I know personally I haven’t gotten anything back yet, so I’m just desperate to hear back from something :( good news is there should be a lot of decisions rolling out this week from schools in general.
I know you've been waiting for Columbia for a while so I wish you the very best and hope that you hear back soon! I'm from Seattle but I visited Columbia around a year ago. Loved the campus, NYC not so much. Too used to the Pacific Northwest :laugh:

It's great seeing updates from everyone! I recently took BU off my list. Despite being offered a scholarship, I can't justify the cost of living in Boston, and for family reasons I don't think Boston is the right place for me. (I have close extended family in the area who I love dearly but they have a lot of issues and are very needy/self-involved, and don't feel it would be the healthiest option to surround myself with). If anyone on the waitlist at BU is waiting to hear back, I officially declined today, so hopefully that helps!!

Last edited:
Accepted to Dartmouth MPH on 1/31!

Applied: Brown (behav/soc: 11/27), BU (undecided: 11/28), Columbia (sociomedical: 11/20), Dartmouth (11/3), UPenn (generalist: 11/21), Yale (SBS: end of Nov, they didn't confirm until 12/5)
Accepted: BU +18k (email 12/21), Yale (email 1/11), Columbia (email 1/22), Dartmouth (email 1/31)
Rejected: UPenn (email 12/18)
Waitlisted:

Currently stuck between Yale, Emory, and Georgetown. I want to eventually go into biodefense, and Georgetown's program is in biohazardous threat agents and emerging infectious diseases so I'm leaning towards going there. Buuuutttt I don't want to be cornered into one field if I decide I hate it when I'm 30, so maybe a general epi degree is better. I'm so close to just sending out a doodlepoll and having my friends and fam decide for me.

Reactions: 5 users
Is there anyone else planning to go to the Admitted Students Day at Hopkins on March 9th? And if there is, would you be willing to travel with me to see GWU on March 8th?

I am arriving to Baltimore a day early and was thinking I could go see the Milken Institute at GWU. It's about an hour drive from Baltimore but I was curious if someone(s) wanted to split the cost of this drive! Let me know!!

Is anyone who is applying to Colorado nervous about how they allocated financial aid?? I was reading the thread from last year about how late they let people know about acceptances and aid and it really puts me off.

Yes, I am worried about this as well as they are one of my top choices!

I applied to Colorado last year. They gave me a diversity scholarship in late April, after I had already declined their admissions offer and submitted a deposit to the school I'm at now. It wasn't a big scholarship, and I never actually heard about loans or merit based scholarships. I called their offices, and they seemed confused that I would need this information before deciding whether or not to enroll. If they are one of your top choices, my advice would be to stay patient. Hopefully you can get offers from other schools to leverage with them.

They do offer merit based scholarships (I asked this at an info session, and there are some SDN posts I've seen in past years where they were offered scholarships). Applicants that make the priority deadline are automatically considered, unlike with the diversity scholarship and others which you have to apply for separately. When I completed the FAFSA it did say I could qualify for loans, so I am pretty sure they have those as well. I hope I won't have to make a decision without knowledge of whether they'll be offering anything!

Yep! I'm getting those too! I'm so curious where they get that data from!

I haven't got any promotional mails from Columbia except for one, ages ago. I hope this isn't a bad sign :( - I guess either way (getting them or not), it's frustrating.
(I know I may be reading too much into a small thing, but stress levels are high at this stage)

Also, those of you who had an interview with Michigan, how long did it take to hear back from them?

Last edited:
Just found out late yesterday (yeah, on a Sunday for some reason so there’s still hope everybody!) that I was offered a full tuition scholarship to GW! I’m super excited but it makes the decision between going there with less debt and going somewhere like Johns Hopkins with a killer program (but also debt) that much harder. If anyone has any insight about GW’s reputation or if it’d be worth it to go and be more or less debt free I’d be happy to hear it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I haven't got any promotional mails from Columbia except for one, ages ago. I hope this isn't a bad sign :( - I guess either way (getting them or not), it's frustrating.
(I know I may be reading too much into a small thing, but stress levels are high at this stage)

Also, those of you who had an interview with Michigan, how long did it take to hear back from them?
I had the interview on Feb 1, got the informal email(invitation for school visit) on Feb 3, and got the formal admission on Feb 10. I think the decision has already made before the interview, so having it is just to check your language level(for international students like me) and know more about your former experience. I think it will be fine, good luck!

I didn’t see a lot of applicants like me so I thought I’d give this a go. I also am getting antsy waiting for answers so this seems like a good way to pass the time. Feel free to weigh in if you have some insight into these schools.

Undergrad School: Drexel University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.24
Relevant GPA Statistics: 4.0
Major/Minor: Screenwriting/Business Admin
GradGPA
(if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): NOT TAKING GREs
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
-10+ years career working in health promotions/healthcare advertising
-4+ years volunteering for a program for LGBTQ homeless youth

Special Factors:
I’m applying to all online programs, AND all programs that allow me to waive the GRE, because I am so bad at taking them (after a year of studying, I had a 310V and 680M and 4W, never again) I’m very interested in Epidemiology and want a program that will allow me to take as many Epi electives as possible. I want to improve health outcomes in LGBTQ homeless youth in NYC.

Interested in: MPH programs
Applied
(include the date of application): UVM (online) 11/15, UMASS (online) 1/15, NYU (SDG online) 2/1, Northwestern MSGH (online) 1/15
Accepted: UVM 1/29, Northwestern 2/9, NYU+$ 4/4
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
So I just got an email from Umichigan HMP department about their merit aid policy.... but I haven’t heard about admissions yet ugh. Did anyone else get the same email?