You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending
Started by futureapppsy2
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
shawarmasharma
Full Member
I just got into UMD--epi pretty shocked considering how good a program it is. im still waiting on a lot of schools. so fingers crossed
the schools I have gotten into want to know whether I want to commit, but i want to wait to hear from the rest of the schools before deciding. what do i tell the schools I have heard from?
the schools I have gotten into want to know whether I want to commit, but i want to wait to hear from the rest of the schools before deciding. what do i tell the schools I have heard from?
wildrose72
Full Member
I did! I just accepted this last weekDid anyone receive Emory's MCH fellowship?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lil.beanieee
Full Member
literally in the exact same position! i’m also leaning towards Brown but would love to move to NYC in the future (fingers crossed we both get off the Columbia waitlist tho!). but whatever happens, you can definitely still end up in NYC after graduation 🙂 that’s what i keep reminding myselfI'm pretty torn...I prefer Brown's program over NYU but would like work in NYC after graduation. As an NYU public health undergrad alum I'm pretty sure I would still have access to the PH career services no matter where I decided to go. Does anyone have any advice or insight?
Here's to hoping I get off of Columbia's waitlist🤞
Just the general financial aid email address!Does anyone know who we should be sending scholarship appeals to at Columbia once they accept them starting April 1?
Hopefully there's good news in store for both of us! Maybe we will cross paths at Brown (or Columbia) in the future! 🙂literally in the exact same position! i’m also leaning towards Brown but would love to move to NYC in the future (fingers crossed we both get off the Columbia waitlist tho!). but whatever happens, you can definitely still end up in NYC after graduation 🙂 that’s what i keep reminding myself
Hi! I committed to SBS and am considering a switch to CDE. If I may ask, are you trying to make the switch to HCM prior to enrolling at YSPH or after completing a semester?Hi all, I haven't been on here a lot (super busy :/) so I apologize if this has already been asked. But, I could really use some advice.
I received a response from Jen Farkas at Yale regarding scholarship if I switch concentrations from SBS to HCM. Unfortunately, from a scholarship perspective, different departments have different levels of funding. If I choose to pursue HCM instead of SBS then my scholarship would be half the amount that I received (so from $60k to $30k for two years).
The scholarship is a big reason why I'm choosing Yale. It helps me A LOT. I really want to pursue the dual degree program (MPH/MBA). I do not have "outstanding" GRE scores, so I'm worried I won't get in... but I thought if I switched to the HCM concentration that it'd help my chances. Does anyone know if students from other concentrations (like SBS) get into the dual degree program?
AHH I don't know what to do.
Same! That was a big jump. I’m still waiting on their decision.I was shocked to see UMD jump so much Top 10 didn’t really change by much imo. I def slept on UMD tho.
aceacrobat
Full Member
has anyone still not heard anything about scholarships from JHU for the full-time MPH? and at this point, should I assume I'm not getting anything?
Hello! I think for HCM specifically if you want to switch into it you have to write a new statement of purpose and switch prior to starting. This is because the HCM track is very intertwined with the school of management and the curriculum is very structured. I think it's different for other concentrations though I'd ask Mary Keefe!Hi! I committed to SBS and am considering a switch to CDE. If I may ask, are you trying to make the switch to HCM prior to enrolling at YSPH or after completing a semester?
Oh okay that makes sense, I was wondering because when I asked about switching after the first semester, Jen told me that typically scholarship awards wouldn't change. I know that HCM is different but if you at all have the possibility to switch after completing a semester, you may be able to hold onto all $60kHello! I think for HCM specifically if you want to switch into it you have to write a new statement of purpose and switch prior to starting. This is because the HCM track is very intertwined with the school of management and the curriculum is very structured. I think it's different for other concentrations though I'd ask Mary Keefe!
Ah, that makes sense. I wonder if that's the case because maybe then I could switch to Health Policy rather than HCM since HP is under the same department. I just sent an email to Jen!Oh okay that makes sense, I was wondering because when I asked about switching after the first semester, Jen told me that typically scholarship awards wouldn't change. I know that HCM is different but if you at all have the possibility to switch after completing a semester, you may be able to hold onto all $60k
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I think it's worth asking about! Would you mind keeping me updated on what she says? I'm getting a little nervous haha since I really do need my scholarship in its entirety to afford my educationAh, that makes sense. I wonder if that's the case because maybe then I could switch to Health Policy rather than HCM since HP is under the same department. I just sent an email to Jen!
Will do! And same. I could take out loans but I guess it's a matter of the number of loans I'll need to take out. Though, I just took a look at the HCM courses and really like them more than the SBS courses. AHH, is switching worth going into about $30k more debt??Yeah I think it's worth asking about! Would you mind keeping me updated on what she says? I'm getting a little nervous haha since I really do need my scholarship in its entirety to afford my education
nunuuuxoxo
Full Member
Do you have the link?Has anyone seen the updated (2021) us news rankings for public health?
If Columbia sends out a financial aid email with just loans, does that mean that no merit aid was awarded?
I would say go to the one that aligns most with what you want to do or the staff you want to work with.i got accepted to U of Mich, Columbia, and GW, all ranked much higher than Yale. without worrying about finances... am i making the wrong choice choosing Yale? Do these ranking matter?
epihopeful627
Full Member
Do you mind if I ask, did you have over the “required” 3.75 GPA for Columbia merit scholarships? I have only gotten my loan package already, but since I’m below that threshold, I wonder if I should even reach out regarding the actual financial aid package.If you received a loan package already with no funding, I urge you to email them at [email protected] if you haven't already. They sent me my actual financial aid package about a day after I inquired, as did several other people.
No. They just started processing aid like 2 weeks ago...has anyone still not heard anything about scholarships from JHU for the full-time MPH? and at this point, should I assume I'm not getting anything?
aceacrobat
Full Member
I hadn't received anything from them yet so I just emailed today and then they sent me a loan package, but still no merit aid. Not sure what to do now!If you received a loan package already with no funding, I urge you to email them at [email protected] if you haven't already. They sent me my actual financial aid package about a day after I inquired, as did several other people.
Spartacous1
Full Member
anyone know if there is a columbia fb group or group me?
Hello again everyone! Sorry I've been active on this page today haha.
Anyone deciding or have any thoughts on BU vs. Yale?
Given my whole switching concentrations/scholarship fiasco, it might actually end up less expensive for me to go to BU (and I think I'd be able to switch into healthcare management with no problem). I did have my heart set on Yale but am now considering BU again! The reason why I was deterred by BU was the name compared to schools like "Yale" (sad to say). I don't want it to be difficult to find a job outside of the New England area if I go to BU.
Anyone deciding or have any thoughts on BU vs. Yale?
Given my whole switching concentrations/scholarship fiasco, it might actually end up less expensive for me to go to BU (and I think I'd be able to switch into healthcare management with no problem). I did have my heart set on Yale but am now considering BU again! The reason why I was deterred by BU was the name compared to schools like "Yale" (sad to say). I don't want it to be difficult to find a job outside of the New England area if I go to BU.
wildrose72
Full Member
Well it's done! I've placed my deposit at Emory and declined Columbia and UMich. Waiting to finalize Emory financial aid but I'm excited!
anyone know if there is a columbia fb group or group me?
GroupMe - Join the group for Columbia MPH Admits
GroupMe - Join the group for Columbia MPH Admits
groupme.com
ahappipanda
Full Member
Have any non-residents of California gotten accepted to SDSU, University of SF, or Berkeley? I feel like every acceptance I've seen on here are residents or alumni of those schools. Is there preference? I'm from Washington and attended the UW for public health in undergrad, planning to apply the next cycle for 2022 🙂
oatmilkluvr
Full Member
just got an email from columbia that started with "we are pleased to provide you with a financial aid package based on the information you submitted on the admissions application" and the financial aid offer says "no award information available at this time." 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I don't even get loans bc i'm an international student. In any case, I had already declined my admission to mailman bc I was expecting this. Oh well!
I don't even get loans bc i'm an international student. In any case, I had already declined my admission to mailman bc I was expecting this. Oh well!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PrePtDreamsRVA
Full Member
I got accepted in SDSU and live in Virginia but ultimately declined my offer.Have any non-residents of California gotten accepted to SDSU, University of SF, or Berkeley? I feel like every acceptance I've seen on here are residents or alumni of those schools. Is there preference? I'm from Washington and attended the UW for public health in undergrad, planning to apply the next cycle for 2022 🙂
mha2021inquiries
Full Member
can someone tell me if I should go to Columbia epidemiology or Yale chronic disease epidemiology. please.
Anyone check the new rankings that just came out? CUNY went down in public health ranking from 23 to 31 right now. I was considering it at one point, but not too sure now. No name recognition AND a sliding rank is a turn off for me. UAB went up in its ranking, now #17. Also NYU went up, now #31.
Officially Accepted my Yale offer. Will be attending the Healthcare Management Program 🙂
Welcome to Yale School of Public Health!!!
I'm international as well and the same thing happened to me LOL. Where are you planning to attend?just got an email from columbia that started with "we are pleased to provide you with a financial aid package based on the information you submitted on the admissions application" and the financial aid offer says "no award information available at this time." 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I don't even get loans bc i'm an international student. In any case, I had already declined my admission to mailman bc I was expecting this. Oh well!
valerieng11
Full Member
After years of waiting...IN AT BERKELEY!!! 😭😭😭
girlonwheelsx
Full Member
asking for a friend and i’m also curious, if you received a scholarship from uic was it included in your acceptance or financial aid letter? if it’s not on your financial aid letter, does that mean you didn’t get anything?
mph_applicant43796
Full Member
did ANYONE receive a scholarship to UIC is my question bc when I emailed them, they said it's VERY rare to get one.asking for a friend and i’m also curious, if you received a scholarship from uic was it included in your acceptance or financial aid letter? if it’s not on your financial aid letter, does that mean you didn’t get anything?
asking for a friend and i’m also curious, if you received a scholarship from uic was it included in your acceptance or financial aid letter? if it’s not on your financial aid letter, does that mean you didn’t get anything?
I got a scholarship with my acceptance letter from my department (HPA). I turned down my offer before I got my financial aid package so I’m not sure if anything else is included.did ANYONE receive a scholarship to UIC is my question bc when I emailed them, they said it's VERY rare to get one.
mphwannabe123
Full Member
Got my financial aide offer from Tufts...loans and $1000 work study 😂 guess I’m marking them off the list
omg waitttt you're sparking dangerous hope in me plsss. I'll cry my eyes out if I get into UCLA cause it's my alma mater and I love it hereTo everyone waiting for UCLA MPH Epi decision,
I got an acceptance email from them last week on Friday. I had applied in early October. It was such a long wait and I can feel you!
I hope you all get a decision from them at the earliest.
Good luck!
chocfullokat
Full Member
Wait, what?! $1000/semester?! I haven't gotten any financial aid info from them, but honestly, it's fine since I applied thinking I wouldn't get in anywhere lol (thankfully this isn't the case).Got my financial aide offer from Tufts...loans and $1000 work study 😂 guess I’m marking them off the list
Seriously though, hearing so many schools give out so little aid/scholarships is really disheartening...
chocfullokat
Full Member
Yeah, NYU's school of public health is only 5 years old, so they are on the right track if they've been climbing the last 2 years 🙂Anyone check the new rankings that just came out? CUNY went down in public health ranking from 23 to 31 right now. I was considering it at one point, but not too sure now. No name recognition AND a sliding rank is a turn off for me. UAB went up in its ranking, now #17. Also NYU went up, now #31.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mootix
Full Member
Same here! I am planning to commit to Yale in the next few days. Maybe see you there in the fall (-:i've officially turned down Columbia as they gave me zero financial aid and i can't afford to pay tuition AND those expensive NY prices. Realistically between Yale and Emory now :c
I think you should look at data on where people get jobs post-graduation. Most schools' sites have a section on where people end up after their MPH. From what I recall, most Brown MPH grads work in the Rhode Island area or Boston afterwards.I'm pretty torn...I prefer Brown's program over NYU but would like work in NYC after graduation. As an NYU public health undergrad alum I'm pretty sure I would still have access to the PH career services no matter where I decided to go. Does anyone have any advice or insight?
Here's to hoping I get off of Columbia's waitlist🤞
Last edited:
mphwannabe123
Full Member
$1000 for the whole year, $500 per semester. I just have to laugh. Yes I’m grateful to get something but tuition plus living expenses adds up to about 60k yearly lolWait, what?! $1000/semester?! I haven't gotten any financial aid info from them, but honestly, it's fine since I applied thinking I wouldn't get in anywhere lol (thankfully this isn't the case).
Seriously though, hearing so many schools give out so little aid/scholarships is really disheartening...
Whatif19
New Member
Just mail Paul Wong and ask him. He will confirm within a day.has anyone still not heard anything about scholarships from JHU for the full-time MPH? and at this point, should I assume I'm not getting anything?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 9K
- Replies
- 103
- Views
- 37K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 7K