MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now that I finally received my waitlist decision I'm glad this application cycle is over. It's been a wild ride with all of you. Good luck everyone! Brown here I come!
yesss same! hope to see you there! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was also rejected by Columbia, so I'm torn between UCLA and NYU (MS Biostatistics).

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
BRUH

Columbia is keeping me on the waitlist and they will let me know before August 1st in case any spots open up. I’m dead lmao. I’m going to accept my spot but now I’m going to have to talk to NYU and ask when the deadline to pay tuition / accept loans is.
I hope you get into Columbia. I can see how excited you are and I wish they let you know a decision soon :)

finally rejected by yale! <3 cycle is over for me

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
BRUH

Columbia is keeping me on the waitlist and they will let me know before August 1st in case any spots open up. I’m dead lmao. I’m going to accept my spot but now I’m going to have to talk to NYU and ask when the deadline to pay tuition / accept loans is.
i'm still very shook by this

Undergraduate School/School type: Small midwestern school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3/ 3.8
Major/minor: Community Health Education, Applied Workplace leadership
Grad GPA (if applicable):
Grad studies (if applicable):
GRE(including date taken): 296/3.5

Experience/research:
1.5 years of community health experience on state/ local levels with behavioral health and obesity
Leading 2 organizations revolving ending hunger and mental health
Letters of Rec: 1 from CHES professor, 1 from statewide healthcare organzation member, 1 from large health insurance coordinator

Interests:

Applied: UARMS, TAMU, UT health, USF
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Applying this fall so would be starting in 2022, applying to community health and health promotion programs but super worried about my GRE scores that are pretty bad. Looking at UThealth as my first choice but im worried about those scores

Hi All! Just curious if anyone else deferred their MPH acceptance? It was a tough decision but I‘ll be starting at JHU next June.

Last edited:

Experience/research:
1.5 years of community health experience on state/ local levels with behavioral health and obesity
Letters of Rec: 1 from CHES professor, 1 from statewide healthcare organzation member, 1 from large health insurance coordinator

Interests:

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Applying this fall so would be starting in 2022, applying to community health and health promotion programs but super worried about my GRE scores that are pretty bad. Looking at UThealth as my first choice but im worried about those scores

I see you posted a combined score. What are your quant and verbal scores?

I don’t have experience applying to your schools, but I can say it is possible to get in with a lower GRE (and even without a GRE score if we’re counting app cycle changes due to the pandemic) if the other components of your app are strong (e.g., SOP). A good number of us with low metrics got into great programs this past cycle.

Experience/research:

Interests:

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

I started a new thread for 2022 application cycle. Feel free to use that, yours might just be the first applicant post there.

MPH / MSPH 2022: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending | Student Doctor Network Communities

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have the excel to calculate graduate school costs? I think someone on this thread created one, but my laptop broke and I lost the file on my hard drive. Would appreciate it if anyone could share it or has created a similar excel to calculating cost of attendance for grad school! Thank you!

Hello! Super late applicant over here (submitted June 15) and I’ve just heard back from UMich that I’ve been admitted for the fall. I went to my online Wolverine portal and saw that under application it says:

“You have been recommended to the University of Michigan’s School of Public Health by the Health Behavior and Health Education department. Your admittance will become official upon certification by the School of Public Health’s Office for Student Engagement and Practice. Once your recommendation has been verified and confirmed, your status will be updated. Please note that you are not officially admitted until that verification has taken place.”

Has anyone else received this before? Is it just a formality?

Hi All! Just curious if anyone else deferred their MPH acceptance? It was a tough decision but I‘ll be starting at JHU next June.
deffered for columbia

I highly doubt anyone is still checking this thread but I was finally(!!) rejected from Columbia yesterday

• Wow
Hi All! Just curious if anyone knows or heard of anyone who has recieved merit-scholarship with a gpa less than 3.75at Columbia. I know in the past people with 3.6 gpa have able to get merit aids because of the GRE scores but since the past cycle and GRE being waived, does anyone with around 3.7 gpa have a chance with aid at Columbia?

Hi All! Just curious if anyone knows or heard of anyone who has recieved merit-scholarship with a gpa less than 3.75at Columbia. I know in the past people with 3.6 gpa have able to get merit aids because of the GRE scores but since the past cycle and GRE being waived, does anyone with around 3.7 gpa have a chance with aid at Columbia?
starting at Columbia next week and applied with a 3.7ish and sent updated grades with >3.7 but <3.75 – I got no merit aid and appealed multiple times. 3.75 seemed to be a pretty hard cutoff for the first round of scholarship considerations. With a 3.7, you may be considered later on if they have leftover funds, but financial aid told me that wouldn't be a high chance (but not a zero-chance). They also consider your professional/service/EC experiences when distributing scholarships, which I heard carried more weight than normal last year since GRE scores were waived. It also depends on your specific department – the bigger your department, the more competitive scholarships are they said.

Hi everyone!

I am currently a first year MPH student at the Mailman School of Public Health and I just wanted to share a bit of information to help you make a more informed decision as I wish someone had done this for me.

Columbia is refusing to adjust the terms of their contract with Teaching Assistants, paying them below minimum wage and refusing to offer them more adequate medical insurance options. This has resulted in a strike.

As the core part of our program had mainly been supported by TAs, 1st year students are extremely affected. Many of our lectures are now online, and some of them have been cancelled and replaced with recordings, while our grading criteria has remained the same. Columbia is not responding to our emails in any useful way and refuse to display any transparency.

Personally I am an international student, and I have left a lot behind for the opportunity to study here. I am starting to believe that I may have been better off staying in Europe and paying way less for a more complete education and more support.

I am extremely disappointed and starting to regret my choice to study at Columbia.

Please just consider this before applying and/or accepting your offers. University name is not everything, and it is definitely not worth 80k per year…

• Wow
Hi guys!

I was just wondering if people could provide me with some insight about how long it took them to hear back regarding their MPH offers from JHU and Yale.

I submitted my application earlier this month and know they do rolling offers, but wasn't sure how long the admissions process takes.

Thank you in advance

Hi guys!

I was just wondering if people could provide me with some insight about how long it took them to hear back regarding their MPH offers from JHU and Yale.

I submitted my application earlier this month and know they do rolling offers, but wasn't sure how long the admissions process takes.

Thank you in advance
I can only speak for Yale. I applied in mid-Nov 2019, and heard back at the beginning of February 2020. It was a rejection though.

I can only speak for Yale. I applied in mid-Nov 2019, and heard back at the beginning of February 2020. It was a rejection though.
Thank you!

I hope things at Columbia get better! I applied there and am now having serious second thoughts.

Hi guys!

Thank you in advance
Can speak for JHU, applied mid-November and heard back (A) in the first week of December last year

Thank you!

I hope things at Columbia get better! I applied there and am now having serious second thoughts.
Hi guys!

Thank you in advance
I applied Nov 22 and hearrd back todayyyyyyy
Edit: JHU

Last edited:
Happy Holidays!!
Just revisiting this thread for the memories. This year we were all racing to finish up apps, waiting on decisions, or already had some decisions in hand. Congrats on finishing the first semester/quarter!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
HSPH is most likely in 2 weeks. My last decision will be the JHU (for DrPH), they release decisions in March. I have also heard that UT Health (for PhD) could very well go into April. I am all over the place!!! Still finding my purpose in life :cool: :shifty:
yo i was wondering what was going on with hopkins

Hello!

I am a UK grad student starting at Harvard this year.

I am looking to stay at Harvard Trilogy or Shattuck for the coming year. If anyone is leaving or looking for a roommate please let me know. Also open to private accommodation in the Longwood area.

Best wishes

A very desperate incoming student