MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! I was accepted into UNC (Health Behavior) a couple weeks ago, but still haven’t heard anything regarding financial aid. Does anyone know what the typical timeline is for schools on giving out financial aid information?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! After religiously checking this forum every day for months I decided to finally add some of my information. I hope this week everyone hears some good news!

Undergraduate School/School type: Large public university in the south
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6/ 3.8
Major/minor: Psychology
GRE(including date taken): Decided to not take

Experience/ Research

- 1 year undergraduate RA on a bio/social lab

- 1.5 years as a research assistant for a non profit on a federal grant

Letters of Rec:
1 professor/ Lab PI
2 from supervisors

Interests: social determinants of health

Applied: UNC, GWU, UF, Emory, BU, UIC, Colorado school of public health, CUNY
Accepted: UNC, GWU, UF, Emory, CUNY, Colorado,UIC, BU
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Emory sent an acceptance email!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was spam but I’m soooo excited🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾 LITERALLY IM SHAKING

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
I got an acceptance letter from Emory, HPM 😭 Thanks God, I was almost giving up this university. Hope Columbia will follow this.

• Love
Reactions: 28 users
I'm going crazy waiting to hear from UCLA! I saw that they released HPM decisions last week, I applied to community health sciences. They have a program called UC Speaks Up that's run by a CHS professor and conducts research/outreach for sexual violence on college campuses, which is exactly what I want to do. I'm so grateful to have gotten into Yale with $, but as far as I know there's no one doing this kind of work at Yale yet 😥

Reactions: 3 users
I was freaking out earlier so I couldn’t write a proper post but I was accepted into Emory’s EH with a 3.57 SOPHAS GPA. I’m graduating with my BA in psychology in a few months and I have little experience and so anything really is possible. Also, I’ve only taken a few public health so i didn’t really think i had a chance at a school like Emory. But with a wholeeee lotttttt of prayer, i got in. To everyone still waiting, don’t lose hope! I practically completely gave up this morning and I got my acceptance this afternoon. I’m hoping for the best for all of us❤️🙏🏾

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
I'm going crazy waiting to hear from UCLA! I saw that they released HPM decisions last week, I applied to community health sciences. They have a program called UC Speaks Up that's run by a CHS professor and conducts research/outreach for sexual violence on college campuses, which is exactly what I want to do. I'm so grateful to have gotten into Yale with $, but as far as I know there's no one doing this kind of work at Yale yet 😥
I feel the same way! I got into yale with $ but UCLA CHS is my first choice and I am still waiting :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to dual MSW/MPH at NYU. I was also told by the school of GPH that I would hear back from them at the same time. But, I applied to the social work program first and was accepted about a week later, called because I wasn't sure if that meant I wasn't accepted into the PH program and they said someone gave me inaccurate info, and that I'll hear from each program separately. For the record, I also had to submit separate applications. Sooo, a bit confusing but just a heads up if this happens to you. Good luck!
Good to know! I applied to Wagner for an MPA and they don’t release decisions until March 1st so I’m not expecting news from them anytime soon. Hopefully gph will throw me an admission soon to tide me over 😂

Are y'all hopeful that most programs will have in-person classes in the Fall? I will likely defer if things are still online.

Received an interview invite from UPenn one hour ago! Does anyone have advice based on their experience with UPenn's interview process?

I'm just excited that there's one school that's really considering me especially after my first decision was a rejection, lol!
I got (roughly):

- what does “public health” mean to you?
- what skills do you hope UPenn can teach you? (this one inspired a few spin off questions about my interests)
- where do you see yourself after you earn your mph?
- why pursue your mph now?
- why UPenn’s mph program?

Then they gave me time to ask a few questions of my own and we chatted about different student backgrounds and interdisciplinary studies and such. I haven’t received a decision yet but they told me they’d let me know in approximately 2 weeks, so I should hear this week. Super nervous, but it is what it is!

Reactions: 1 users
Is Environmental Health more competitive than Epidemiology and other MPH concentrations? I feel like I would've done better if I switched my concen.

All my rejections are mainly from EH and my 1 acceptance is Epi.

Are y'all hopeful that most programs will have in-person classes in the Fall? I will likely defer if things are still online.
they definitely will. vaccinations are ramping up and an article published on the CDC Jan 15 had conservative estimates of a return to normalcy. The article said with only 1 million vaccinations a day the number of new daily COVID infections should be only 25k a day by the end of May. We have the J&J vaccine coming soon and they have millions of doses ready. I have received my vaccination already and cannot wait to leave my house lmao.

Reactions: 5 users
Is Environmental Health more competitive than Epidemiology and other MPH concentrations? I feel like I would've done better if I switched my concen.

All my rejections are mainly from EH and my 1 acceptance is Epi.

Epi is more competitive.
But do what your heart tells you. That is the only way you can do your best later in your career.

Reactions: 4 users
Waiting on acceptances, so I thought I would post my stats. Nervous about my GPA, as I had a bad year, but was able to pull my GPA up in my last 2 years. Also hoping some of my experience makes up for my low GPA, but I've seen some really amazing stats/experiences here, so we'll see how everything goes.

Undergraduate School/School type: Large Canadian University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.17 (SOPHAS Verified cGPA)/ 3.55 (SOPHAS Verified Major GPA)
Major/minor:
Health Sciences
GRE(including date taken):
Did not take

Experience/research:

- Summer research student in patient safety at large, well known pediatric hospital in Canada (4 months)
- Summer research internship in development and implementation of e-health practices at my university (4 months)
- Research assistant in same e-health lab, but developed and facilitated a Think Tank for knowledge exchange and consolidation of implementation strategies (6 months)
- Full time research assistant at implementation science lab at well-known research institute in Toronto (6 months)
- Part of pandemic response team at my local hospital (4 months)

Other Experience:
- Sorority leadership positions (Chapter president, VP External Affairs)
- President of Panhellenic Council
- Two years on health science student council
- Participated in two public health/healthcare related case competitions - won one, semi finalist in the other

Letters of Rec:

- Scientists from current implementation science research lab (Scientist at my lab & research fellow at John's Hopkin's)
- Supervisor from research internship (Professor & Dean of graduate studies in my program at my university)
- Professor in Health promotion from my university (recieved an A+ in health communication class)

Interests:

Addressing social determinants of health & health inequities through collaborative evidence based interventions, program implementation & evaluation, health communication & misinformation, health literacy

Applied:
Columbia SMS (1/10), BU Community Assessment (1/10), University of Toronto Social Behavioural Health Sciences (1/18), UNC Health Behaviour (1/20)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted at Tufts! Got an email saying the portal had been updated. Does anyone know timeline about financial aid info?

Reactions: 18 users
Accepted at Tufts! Got an email saying the portal had been updated. Does anyone know timeline about financial aid info?
Congrats!! It sounds like since the 'priority deadline' for financial aid isn't until late February, that we should probably hearing around then. I submitted my Tufts FA app about three weeks ago and still haven't heard back about completing anything else, so that's what I am assuming is the case.

anyone got an update on GWU financial aid? My emails havent been answered

Reactions: 2 users
Saw this on Reddit. I think we can relate here 😆
1203751.png

• Haha
Reactions: 23 users
columbia responded this morning and said “Your application is currently in for review with the committee. When a decision has been made you will be notified via email.” i don’t know if i’m in the final stages of review then? but i applied 12/1 so i’m not sure :(

Accepted to NYU with 7k / year scholarship!

That's my first acceptance, so I can finally take a deep breath.

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Accepted to NYU with 7k / year scholarship!

That's my first acceptance, so I can finally take a deep breath.
saw your major was Spanish and global health - you should check out PAHO and see if they ever have internships!

Accepted into Emory- I am very thankful, as Emory has such sentimental meaning for me. Good luck and congratulations to all!

• Love
Reactions: 24 users
just accepted to NYU Epi! 14k scholarship over both years

• Love
Reactions: 24 users
I got (roughly):

- what does “public health” mean to you?
- what skills do you hope UPenn can teach you? (this one inspired a few spin off questions about my interests)
- where do you see yourself after you earn your mph?
- why pursue your mph now?
- why UPenn’s mph program?

Then they gave me time to ask a few questions of my own and we chatted about different student backgrounds and interdisciplinary studies and such. I haven’t received a decision yet but they told me they’d let me know in approximately 2 weeks, so I should hear this week. Super nervous, but it is what it is!
Thanks very much for sharing! Keeping my fingers crossed for you :)

just accepted to NYU Epi! 14k scholarship over both years
When did you apply? My app was marked complete first week of November but still have not heard anything

Accepted to NYU (Social and Behavioral Sciences)l with $!! Only took them a little less than 3 weeks

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
NYU for Epi +12k the two years.
Still a 90k school not including NYC rent. :cryi:

• Care
Reactions: 18 users
anybody else get an email from BU saying they will make a decision in 5-6 weeks? lol that's gonna be March...

• Sad
anybody else get an email from BU saying they will make a decision in 5-6 weeks? lol that's gonna be March...
Me too and I applied on 11/17! I didn't even receive a completion email until I emailed them asking if they received everything. They seem very behind this year. Last year people started receiving decisions 1/21.

Columbia posted! Admitted to SMS!!!

EDIT: I checked the portal! They haven’t sent the email yet!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users
Just got accepted to Columbia!! (Epidemiology w/ certificate in social determinants of health)

submitted Nov 17, ready for review Nov 24

Reactions: 15 users
Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted!! :love:

I just had a quick q for Columbia acceptees - did you receive an email? or just randomly checked the portal?

Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted!! :love:

I just had a quick q for Columbia acceptees - did you receive an email? or just randomly checked the portal?
I got an email with the title “Admission Status Update”!

When did you apply? My app was marked complete first week of November but still have not heard anything
Spoke too soon! Just accepted to the MPH program with $40k over two years!

• Wow
Reactions: 19 users