MPH / MSPH 2022: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Epidemiology
Congrats! I applied for their Health Policy program and am hoping to hear back soon. Maybe we will be classmates at some point in the future! Best of luck with the rest of your application cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I would contact your individual programs to see. I think I remember some people on SDN were able to do it last year. If your programs say they can re-route your submitted application to the EH department, I would just make sure you've expressed interest in environmental topics and success in hard science courses in your Statement of Purpose before letting them do so.

I'm interested in occupational and environmental epidemiology, so I applied to epi programs but am aiming for a program that has an occupational/environmental health focus. For example, Emory has a combined EH-Epi program that I applied to but even if you applied to just Epi, they have certificates in climate and health and water, sanitation, and hygiene, and plenty of environmental-focused electives that you could pursue. University of Michigan also has an occupational and environmental epi concentration in their epi department. Most other Epi programs will let you choose a concentration area since epi is so broad, so that's definitely one way you can get the best of both worlds if they don't let you switch!
I will have to keep all of this in mind, thank you so much!

I think you're in good shape for getting into GW. You may or may not get good merit aid (your GPA will help you there by GRE may not, plus it depends on how you compare to other applicants). I only got a measly $8k from GWU but it still wound up being my best option because I am able to keep working full time and didn't have to move.
Thank you! I am definitely hoping to get some financial aid, tuition is not cheap and I don't want to put myself into too much debt. Good for you though, I hope your program is going well for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted apps to Columbia Sociomedical Sciences and Berkeley Health and Social Behavior, woohoo! Anyone else applying to these programs/schools have insight on when we'll hear back?

Hi I just got accepted to Icahn school of medicine at mount sinai for their MPH global health program. Does anyone know someone who attended, experiences and how financial aid rewards/scholarships work for that program?

Undergraduate School/School type: large public research university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.48/3.55
Major/minor: BS in Public Health Honors, minor in Spanish + Pre-med curriculum
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken): n/a

Non-binary, queer Russian Jewish Immigrant. I speak three languages and I am extremely active in my community, at work, school and keep up with many hobbies.

graduate undergrad spring 2022, then MPH, then Med school <3

Experience/research:
-2 years as medical assistant in Russian bi-lingual clinic.
-1 year as health educator for chronic diseases in ED.
-3.5 years ambassador leadership position in pre-med mentoring program.
-1.5 years on COVID-19 frontlines with mobile health testing units.
-2 years as creative coordinator for fashion magazine, modeling, styling, and writing.
-1 year as fundraiser for humanity first organization, medical trip to guatemala.
-1 year as student assistant for on campus job.
-9 months as HIV health educator and community health tech/cultural humility educator (ED).
-2 years, member of Hillel organization, traveled on fully subsidized trip to Israel/Palestine to learn about conflict.
-9 months student member to lead action group where we combine science and policy, increased blood lead testing.

Letters of Rec:
-Pre-med advisor
-PHD doctor in neuroscience
-Physician Chair of Emergency medicine

Interests
-interests include global health, immigrant disparities, LGBTQ+ Health and Human Rights,STD's + HIV, Infectious diseases, language barriers, racial disparities, epidemiology, health education, prevention and outcomes.

Applied: Columbia MPH (pop. & fam health, 11-20), UC Berkeley MPH-ID and vaccinology (11-30), Northwestern MPH Global health (11-18), U of M MPH global health epidemiology (11-24), Icahn Mount Sinai MPH global health (11-23), Tulane SPH & TM (12/01), YALE MPH EPI + Microbial Disease (12/14).
Accepted: Icahn Mount Sinai (11-26), Tulane SPH & TM (12/22) + 20k, U of M MPH Global Health Epi +50%(01/06), Northwestern MPH Global Health + $$ (1/27), Yale MPH EPI + Microbial Disease + 20k (2/09), UC Berkeley MPH-ID and vaccinology (02/11), Columbia MPH (02/14).
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! For those applying to UNC, is there a supplemental essay we have to submit? I can't find anything about it online and want to make sure I'm not missing something for when I submit it. I emailed them but I haven't heard back.

Does anyone know if applications have to be SOPHAS verified for the University of Michigan's MPH program for Health Behavior and Health Education deadline tonight?

Hi everyone! For those applying to UNC, is there a supplemental essay we have to submit? I can't find anything about it online and want to make sure I'm not missing something for when I submit it. I emailed them but I haven't heard back.
Unless there is anything specific to your department, there wasn't a supplemental essay. The supplemental app will be emailed to you after you submit on SOPHAS, its just a few questions about your general information and residency, and then an additional payment

Just submitted apps to Columbia Sociomedical Sciences and Berkeley Health and Social Behavior, woohoo! Anyone else applying to these programs/schools have insight on when we'll hear back?
I applied to Berkeley HSB too, looks like we will hear back in February! I'm a little nervous because I applied last week and realized I submitted the less edited version of my essay on accident - it's not terrible but definitely not as polished. Hopefully it'll still work out for me!

Undergraduate School/School type: very small liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4
Major/minor: BA in Bio and Sociology
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken): n/a

Experience/research:
-5 years working in public health
-A few public health internships in college
-A few hundred hours of public health/social services volunteering

Interests
-metrics and evaluation, health disparities, epi

Applied: UC Berkeley HSB (11/28), Johns Hopkins part-time MPH (11/25), GWU Epi (12/01), UW Epi (12/01), Harvard Quantitative Methods (12/01), Yale (TBD), Emory (TBD). I really want to apply to LSHTM for Control of Infectious Disease but am a little bit worried about it not being CEPH. Is anyone on here applying there?

Accepted to Drexel yesterday and Pitt today!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergraduate School/School type: Canadian University
CGPA/ UGPA: 3.56/3.85 (CGPA SOPHAS verified)
Major/minor: Health Sciences/Geography & Gerontology

Undergraduate Work Experience
Research: ~300 hours [ongoing]​
1. A few ongoing projects​
PH Work Experience: ~900 hours​
1. Health Authority​
2. Project Lead​
Volunteer: ~100 hours [ongoing]​
1. Ambulance​

Letters of Recommendation: 3 in total (Prof/Research/Work)

Interests: Health Promotion, Population Health, Social and Sociological Issues

Applied: Brown, Columbia, Dartmouth (Interview 1/14), Harvard, JHU, UPenn (Interview 2/3), Yale all 12/1
Accepted: JHU MHS (+75% 2nd year; 12/22), Columbia SMS (1/27), Dartmouth (1/28 + $), UPenn (2/22), Brown (03/18)
Rejected: Yale SMS (02/09), Harvard SM (02/22)
Waitlisted: None
Attending: JHU MHS

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from Emory confirming that they received the application? When I emailed them, they told me that they will be confirming and giving access to the application portal in late November, but I haven't heard from them at all

Has anyone heard from Emory confirming that they received the application? When I emailed them, they told me that they will be confirming and giving access to the application portal in late November, but I haven't heard from them at all
I haven't heard yet, but I think last year they confirmed the first batch around Dec 15th or so, hopefully we will hear in the next two weeks!

Can anyone who recently submitted their first app speak to how long SOPHAS took to verify??

Can anyone who recently submitted their first app speak to how long SOPHAS took to verify??
I submitted all of my applications on 11/30 and was verified on 12/2. It took about 36 hours in total.

Undergraduate School/School type: University of Washington
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.78/3.91 (Dean’s List for 9/12 quarters)
Major/minor: Public Health-Global Health/Education
Grad GPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE(including date taken):N/A

Experience/research:
- 2 years as a Community Health Center Coordinator (Full-time)
- 3 months as an Americorps VISTA (Full-time)
- 1 year as a Health Navigator in University Student Clinic (Part-time)
- 6 months as Administrative Assistant in University Department of Medicine (Part-time)
- 3 months as Data and Research Intern for non-profit (Volunteer)
- 8 months as Capstone Service Learner at Local Shelters for Families/Youth experiencing Housing Insecurity (Volunteer)
- 2 years as University Student Ambassador for First Year Students (Leadership)
- 6 months as Director for Student Health Organization (Leadership)

Letters of Rec:
- Program Manager at current employer
- Nurse Practitioner at current employer
- 1 Professor from UW

Interests: Community Health, Adolescent Health, SDOH, ACEs, Adversity and Resiliency Factors, Health Behavior, Trauma-Informed Public Health Practice, Program Planning and Management, School-Based Health, Intersections between PH and Education.

Applied: Berkeley HSB (12/1), Columbia SMS (12/1), UW COPHP (1/17), Univ. of SF CPHP (1/13)
Accepted: Columbia (1/27), Univ. of SF (2/10), Berkeley (2/17), UW (2/22)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Hoping I have high chances despite not having lots of years of experience, we’ll see!

Last edited:
Undergraduate School/School type: Top 30
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.8
Major/minor: Business

Experience/research: none

Letters of Rec: professors i took classes from

Interests: Environmental Health

Applied: Emory, UF, Tulane, Texas A&M, University of Georgia, Penn State, University of Miami, USF (all submitted on 11/29)
Accepted: University of Miami (12/6), Tulane University (12/15), Texas A&M (12/18),
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

I dont have any experience related to public health field. I just apply and hope for the best lol.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten a confirmation from GW about application being received? I know they extended the deadline a few days but I haven't heard back from them

Has anyone gotten a confirmation from GW about application being received? I know they extended the deadline a few days but I haven't heard back from them
I did but I also applied before the priority deadline. So I am not sure if they have sent any out since that deadline.

nothing yet for me either.

nothing yet! I think some schools take longer. I know I got one immeditely from UNC but still waiting for confirmation from the other schools I applied to. ahh now the waiting starts

Has anyone been contacted from Umich for an interview?
I applied there and haven't been contacted for an interview. I didn't think they did interviews... were you contacted for one? If so, would you mind telling me what department you applied to?

nothing yet! I think some schools take longer. I know I got one immeditely from UNC but still waiting for confirmation from the other schools I applied to. ahh now the waiting starts
Just got an email that my application is under review like an hour after I posted this lol

I applied there and haven't been contacted for an interview. I didn't think they did interviews... were you contacted for one? If so, would you mind telling me what department you applied to?
I'm pretty sure only HMP applicants get interviewed (which I applied for) for Umich. Which department did you apply for?

Undergraduate School/School type: Top University in Boston (Non-Ivy)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2 :/
Major/minor: Neuroscience, Philosophy
Grad GPA (if applicable):
Grad studies (if applicable): Took 4 grad courses in Neuroscience all As
GRE(including date taken): Didn’t take

Experience/research:
- 6 Publications, 3 First Author
- Co-authored a medical book published by Oxford University Press (first author)
- Paramedic and Instructor teaching in rural areas
- Served on various nonprofit boards and worked with legislators on public health bills. Served as Lead Campaigner, Senior Director, etc.

Other:
POC and LGBT applicant

Letters of Rec:
Undergrad Dean of Admissions, PI, Boss

Interests:

Applied:
Johns Hopkins MSPH (12/7), Yale MPH (11/27), Northeastern MPH (09/21), Dartmouth MPH accelerated on-campus (09/18– Interview next week!!), Columbia (MS Teachers College NOT MPH 09/18), Harvard SM (09/18 — just got access to portal today 12/7)

Accepted: Pending!
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Could someone kindly chance me while I wait to hear back? Any other schools I should consider given stats? Thank you and good luck to everyone!! :)

Did you receive an email saying they received your application? If so, how long after you applied?
I received an email from JHU that my application was sent for review the same day it was verified through SOPHAS.

Undergraduate School/School type: Top University in Boston (Non-Ivy)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2 :/
Major/minor: Neuroscience, Philosophy
Grad GPA (if applicable):
Grad studies (if applicable): Took 4 grad courses in Neuroscience all As
GRE(including date taken): Didn’t take

Experience/research:
- 6 Publications, 3 First Author
- Co-authored a medical book published by Oxford University Press (first author)
- Paramedic and Instructor teaching in rural areas
- Served on various nonprofit boards and worked with legislators on public health bills. Served as Lead Campaigner, Senior Director, etc.

Other:
POC and LGBT applicant

Letters of Rec:
Undergrad Dean of Admissions, PI, Boss

Interests:

Applied:
Johns Hopkins MSPH (12/7), Yale MPH (11/27), Northeastern MPH (09/21), Dartmouth MPH accelerated on-campus (09/18– Interview next week!!), Columbia (MS Teachers College NOT MPH 09/18), Harvard SM (09/18 — just got access to portal today 12/7)

Accepted: Pending!
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Could someone kindly chance me while I wait to hear back? Any other schools I should consider given stats? Thank you and good luck to everyone!! :)
You have solid chances for any of these schools. Good luck with your interview though! I am still waiting to find out if I will be interviewing at Dartmouth.

Hey y’all! I submitted by application to Boston U on 12/1 and still haven’t gotten a confirmation email? Should I contact them? This is also true for Albany.

Hey y’all! I submitted by application to Boston U on 12/1 and still haven’t gotten a confirmation email? Should I contact them? This is also true for Albany.
I submitted mine to BU on 10/25 and did not get confirmation until 11/4.

I submitted my application to BU on 11/17 and got a confirmation the next day, but I know they are currently reviewing spring 2022 applications, and will be starting to do more fall 2022 applications closer to the priority deadline of Jan 15. I think they may just be a bit overwhelmed right now, so they may be taking a bit longer to get those confirmations out

I was invited for an interview with UMich on 12/3. Submitted my application on 11/15.
Awesome congrats! Do you know anything about how they incorporate interviews into the application process? I was kind of surprised at how soon they were reaching out to interview people.

Hello! Has anyone heard back from Yale? I think they were supposed to start releasing decisions starting late November

Hello! Has anyone heard back from Yale? I think they were supposed to start releasing decisions starting late November
Not yet, I submitted in mid-September and still haven’t heard back yet. Hoping soon though!